PDA

View Full Version : A Common problem & a dungeon idea

Idus
04-09-2014, 01:55 PM
So I've been running some numbers on packs and card rarities, and just realised with my 150 KS boosters alone, I'll have 1650 commons! With 112 commons in the first set, I imagine there'll be enough to get 4 of every common, and then, what do I do with the rest?

I know Cory has said multiple times they've got some great ideas for consumables, and I'm sure they have. Also, as I'm really keen on crafting, I expect they will be crafting fodder as well. However, I just had a idea I thought might be fun to throw out there.

What if they made a dungeon, with a permanent graveyard? Maybe not permanent within the round, but between rounds, each card you used disappeared forever. Or restrict it slightly if that's too harsh, and make it just voided cards, and the dungeon mobs can have special powers that allow them to do much more voiding than we currently expect.

If the rewards were worth it, it'd be a risk I'd be willing to take, with the mass of extra common cards we have. It'd be like a pauper dungeon, with consequences, or do you even risk that buff rare for the reward?

Crazy idea? What do you think?

Xenavire
04-09-2014, 02:08 PM
So I've been running some numbers on packs and card rarities, and just realised with my 150 KS boosters alone, I'll have 1650 commons! With 112 commons in the first set, I imagine there'll be enough to get 4 of every common, and then, what do I do with the rest?

I know Cory has said multiple times they've got some great ideas for consumables, and I'm sure they have. Also, as I'm really keen on crafting, I expect they will be crafting fodder as well. However, I just had a idea I thought might be fun to throw out there.

What if they made a dungeon, with a permanent graveyard? Maybe not permanent within the round, but between rounds, each card you used disappeared forever. Or restrict it slightly if that's too harsh, and make it just voided cards, and the dungeon mobs can have special powers that allow them to do much more voiding than we currently expect.

If the rewards were worth it, it'd be a risk I'd be willing to take, with the mass of extra common cards we have. It'd be like a pauper dungeon, with consequences, or do you even risk that buff rare for the reward?

Crazy idea? What do you think?

The logistics of a dungeon would be tough. However, a single fight dungeon (or a raid boss) would be perfectly possible. But anything you play (actions, etc) would all be lost when played, which seems a bit harsh, so why not make it 'Anything voided when the game ends is lost forever', and the boss has a focus on voiding? You would have a chance to recover things with a custom merc made for the encounter perhaps?

I approve of the concept, but the nitty gritty needs a little work. :)

shocker455
04-09-2014, 03:06 PM
I like it, and i think any thing in the graveyard should be gone for good, including actions. Adds more excitement and risk/reward to it.

I normally rip my magic card commons and uncommon in 1/2 while i wait. I cant do that with hex, now i have a way to destroy them!

rjselzler
04-09-2014, 03:57 PM
In the Hex TCG Pro interview Cory mentioned breaking cards down into components for crafting. I imagine that we'd simply "disenchant" bulk commons/uncommons.

Showsni
04-09-2014, 04:36 PM
An Iron Man dungeon sounds like a good idea; in fact, I seem to recall someone mentioning it before... The obvious trade off between needing cards good enough to win, but not wanting to bring anything too good in case you lose it forever could make for some tense plays! Though I suppose you could always forfeit out of the dungeon if it looked like a card you didn't want to lose was going to the graveyard.

My Magic playgroup used to do Iron Man limited events occasionally. You start with a sealed pool and make a deck as normal, but when playing the matches any card that goes to the graveyard gets ripped up. At the end of each round, the losing players are eliminated and give their entire remaining card pool to the player who beat them, who can then use the new cards to remake their deck. So you end up with one overall winner, who gets to keep any cards left not ripped up.

I remember one of them we did was Time Spiral block - and Tarmogoyf was, of course, terrible in the format (since graveyards were always empty) so the player who won ended up with all the Tarmogoyfs that had been opened, still unripped. Not a bad haul!

Idus
04-09-2014, 05:21 PM
In the Hex TCG Pro interview Cory mentioned breaking cards down into components for crafting. I imagine that we'd simply "disenchant" bulk commons/uncommons.

The concern with this is that it's a tricky balancing exercise, as to what you get from a recycled card. Too many raw materials, and you flood the crafting market, making it worthless. Too few, and prices go crazy. Having a secondary outlet to recycle cards prevents too man materials, if every card recycled for materials gives you something, vs too few, if you have to recycle 500 cards to get 1 material needed, which might need to be done if recycle for crafting materials is the only outlet.

Xenavire, I can see your concern with all cards going, but it just depends on what the reward is. As shocker455 says, it's the risk you take for the reward, especially if it's trash commons anyway. The skill in building a trashy deck that might win, I think is a good challenge. But it would be easier for the devs to balance using a void mechanic, as then the amount of cards trashed is in their control, by varying the NPC special abilities. I could see a place for both.

Regarding a whole dungeon being too much, maybe, or it just means you start off with a deck of 500 cards :)

Showsni, Iron Man hey? Good to here there's already a precedent, so the Hex guys have probably considered it already.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ebynfel
04-09-2014, 08:14 PM
I've actually been a part of the iron man tournies in the past for real prizes, etc. Constructed even as well, and had an idea like it for Hex a while back. Only the cards aren't ripped, just not available for the rest of the tourney. In the old tournies I used to play, you HAD to field land destruction, as you continued with the deck/ life total you left the game with. No refining, no removing, nothing. Just took the deck into the game as it was left. I have a memorable experience vs a guy playing vampires, back when Sengir vampire was pretty much it. So around Homelands maybe?

I was i nthe semi, and to keep from dieing, my deck full of lightning bolts, stone rains, and the occasional wheel of fortune(the tournies allowed unlimited copies to facilitate the 500 card initial requirement.), had me forcing him to rip up Barons and Vampires just to get to the final. I blew so many lightning bolts into that deck, and it was a sad day. He played the deck knowing, and I was there to win the prize(sealed unlimited boosters being one of the choices.)

It was painful, but i'd have never made it so far without the stone rains. A lot of people never took that into account, and lost rounds 2-3 due to heavy mana flooding. It was fun, but only something I would ever repeat with bulk commons again.

funktion
04-09-2014, 08:54 PM
I would definitely play this at least a dozen times or so. I think a lot of the more casual oriented players might not find the idea enticing at all, but is definitely something that at least sounds interesting to me.

Cato
04-10-2014, 12:45 AM
I agree, I would also like to see an 'Iron Man' boss or dungeon level in addition to the as yet unknown crafting system.

Myrgard
04-10-2014, 03:09 AM
Great idea, hope they can do it happen,

I think with only commons and uncommons(dont see people trashing rares) it will bring even more apeal for people to work together.

Idus
04-10-2014, 03:21 AM
Snap, I just realised the perfect place to have it, a Dungeon into the Void itself!

Lonenut
04-10-2014, 06:32 AM
I'll just throw out that the traditional use for the overwhelming excess commons you get in a CCG is to dump them all on friends or new people that you're trying to convince to join the community. :P

Freebird_Falcon
04-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Maybe the dungeon could have a mitigater set to card toughness or casting cost. Like, at the end of each match, every card in the graveyard has a chance to be perma-lost, and that chance is decreased(or increased!?) by 10% per point of toughness or cost > 0. Maybe have it do both, but alternate between +10 to -10 every few days?!

Gwaer
04-10-2014, 09:15 AM
It'd be pretty cool if this was an option for disenchanting cards. A void society dungeon kind of thing. You get rewards based on how well you did and what you lost.

rjselzler
04-10-2014, 09:56 AM
The concern with this is that it's a tricky balancing exercise, as to what you get from a recycled card. Too many raw materials, and you flood the crafting market, making it worthless. Too few, and prices go crazy. Having a secondary outlet to recycle cards prevents too man materials, if every card recycled for materials gives you something, vs too few, if you have to recycle 500 cards to get 1 material needed, which might need to be done if recycle for crafting materials is the only outlet.

Totally agree. I feel comfortable enough knowing that this is at least on their radar.

As an aside, I wonder if this "disenchant" feature will manipulate the market on chase uncommons; that is, some uncommons are worth more than rares for a set, but new players rarely know that, so they may disenchant them compared to letting them rot in a shoebox like in MTG.

YourOpponent
04-10-2014, 10:29 AM
I love the Iron Man idea. It reminds me of the good old days of player killing on Runescape and getting to keep whatever gear the player had on them when you beat them! Maybe even take the Iron Man idea and have it be an Endurance Mode. So after you beat one boss you then have to fight another boss and so forth until you lose. Then get rewards based on how you done (at the end of course)?

Or just get whatever cards the bosses you beat had left and keep fighting bosses one right after the other and just keep whatever cards you have left whenever you do lose to a boss (increasing in difficulty from one boss to the next of course.)

Also should Iron Man be just cards voided or have it be cards sent to the graveyard too? I think sent to the graveyard as well.

Idus
04-10-2014, 01:02 PM
I'll just throw out that the traditional use for the overwhelming excess commons you get in a CCG is to dump them all on friends or new people that you're trying to convince to join the community. :P

Yes, that is a good use too, but that was more important when a need existed to have more than 4 of any card. The digital nature of Hex compounds the issue of excess cards since you only need 4 to have hundreds of decks ready to go.

I love the Iron Man idea. It reminds me of the good old days of player killing on Runescape and getting to keep whatever gear the player had on them when you beat them! Maybe even take the Iron Man idea and have it be an Endurance Mode. So after you beat one boss you then have to fight another boss and so forth until you lose. Then get rewards based on how you done (at the end of course)?

Or just get whatever cards the bosses you beat had left and keep fighting bosses one right after the other and just keep whatever cards you have left whenever you do lose to a boss (increasing in difficulty from one boss to the next of course.)

Also should Iron Man be just cards voided or have it be cards sent to the graveyard too? I think sent to the graveyard as well.

Nice ideas too. Of course, you could say that in the void, graveyards simply don 't exist!

Following up on Freebird_Falcon's idea, image your fearless troop travelling through a dark dimension, protected only by the light emanating from Wrenlocke's staff, and every so often, a tentacle lashes out from the dark, yanking one of your troops away. All you hear is a muffled scream, and then silence, and you never see them again..... MWUAHAHAhahahahaha..........

Myrgard
04-11-2014, 04:51 AM
Just hope either way, that criptozoic can manage de flood that will happen when the rewards are delivered, thats one of the aspects im more worried about because ingame economy might be in serious trouble.

With all the plans almost forgot sharing with some friends that are not yet convinced and try to bring them to the comunity :)