PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody played my location variant with the expansion?

atheist4thecause
04-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Hi guys. Before the expansion came out I posted about a variant where you take out the locations, shuffle them up, place them face down, and then flip over the top location. The rest of the game is played normally, but that location becomes a global effect and you play until all the Super-Villains are defeated. The player with the most points gets the location as a trophy, the next location is flipped over, and you basically play another game all over again to fight for that location. You do this until all locations are gone and whoever has the most location trophies wins the game. (There did have to be a house rule made for Swamp Thing, which I think most people just counted him as +3.) The flavor of this variant is that you are fighting different battles at different locations to win a bigger war.

I know some other people tried this variant out, so I was just wondering if anybody has tried it with the expansion or with combining the base game and expansion together. Were there any problems you guys had to solve? How did you solve them? Did your solution work well? One issue I can think of right off the bat is how the Power Ring win condition works. If someone got it off I would say they just win the location and not the entire game.

Now that there are locations from the expansion that work entirely differently form the location in the base game I think this variant has really grown in potential. If anybody has played or does play this variant in the future, please post how exactly you did everything, how you liked the game, if you ran into any balance, mechanic, or loop issues, how you solved the issues. Thanks. :)

IAmTheGreat
04-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Im not much of a fan. It makes the first game luck based in the sense if Arkham flips up Wonder Woman has an enormous advantage. Then if she wins that game has an even more monstrous advantage in every following game. Same can be applied to Cyborg, Batman, Aquaman (new locations) etc..

atheist4thecause
04-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Im not much of a fan. It makes the first game luck based in the sense if Arkham flips up Wonder Woman has an enormous advantage. Then if she wins that game has an even more monstrous advantage in every following game. Same can be applied to Cyborg, Batman, Aquaman (new locations) etc..

I think I either left something out or you misunderstood me. After a location is taken, you basically start a new game. The location Wonder Woman won in the first battle in your example wouldn't be used in future battles. It's just a trophy. You also reset your deck back to the Starters, you reshuffle the main deck, you shuffle up the SV's and pick 8 new ones, etc.