PDA

View Full Version : Shogi Inspired Dungeon Idea

YourOpponent
04-10-2014, 09:48 PM
So I was just thinking about one of my favorite board games to play Shogi or "Japanese Chess" if you will and it got me thinking of how fun it would be to play with the most challenging part of that game in a dungeon!

The challenging part of Shogi is that you aren't just paying attention to the pieces on the field, but the pieces that are off the field and that could be put in play. My idea is that whenever you would normally remove an opponent's card instead of it going into their graveyard it goes into a second "hand" of yours. This hand of cards is for the cards you have removed from them and has the threshold removed from them, but you still pay the normal costs.

This can lead to a challenging game of timing and sacrifices and lots of combos to figure out what it will take to defeat the enemy.

Cory_Jones
04-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Wow
Very cool idea!

Khazrakh
04-11-2014, 04:20 AM
This is an amazing idea! It should offer a very interesting metagame since every card you use now could be used against you afterwards.

ossuary
04-11-2014, 04:54 AM
Can we also get a Shogo inspired dungeon? Because that would also be awesome. That game is long overdue for a reappearance. :)

Kami
04-11-2014, 05:52 AM
This reminds me of Crazyhouse chess, where whatever piece you capture, you end up placing down wherever you want on the board as your colour.

It'd be a fun format for sure but difficult to use in HEX due to multi-colour. The alternative is it converts to a colour in your threshold?

mudkip
04-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Can we also get a Shogo inspired dungeon?

Also a shoggoth dungeon ;)

And a Shub-Niggurath boss fight would also make me wet myself in nostalgia.

Zomnivore
04-11-2014, 07:19 AM
What would the theme be? Is it like a blood magic thing? Are they all being transformed into robots and are colorless? Is it some angel after life weird thing and its a diamond themed thing?

Too cool +1

BossHoss
04-11-2014, 07:53 AM
This reminds me of Crazyhouse chess, where whatever piece you capture, you end up placing down wherever you want on the board as your colour.

It'd be a fun format for sure but difficult to use in HEX due to multi-colour. The alternative is it converts to a colour in your threshold?

OP had a possible solution...

This hand of cards is for the cards you have removed from them and has the threshold removed from them, but you still pay the normal costs.

And the infrastructure to this idea is already present in Hex. You could simply create a "replica" of anything you remove from the game. This dungeon would basically cut and paste mimic coding on to every "leaves the battlefield" effect.

This sounds like an awesome idea and extremely fun variant!

Turtlewing
04-11-2014, 10:38 AM
This does sound like a cool dungeon mechanic.

It could be implemented with an escalating degree where in earlier encounters only some cards are "captured", and can be reused but the further you get the more cards can be captured until eventually everything you play can be used against you.

In a raid based on this idea you could even have some interesting cases where you have to choose between eliminating a threat now vs waiting for the player who could put it to better use once captured to have the ability to remove it.

Ebynfel
04-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Reminds me of an old deck I used to play. I was once asked "Who's deck are you playing?" My response was "Yours"

Everything in the deck was focused on stealing your bombs and spells and using them. It was great fun for me when it worked :)