PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About: Community Outreach

RobHaven
04-11-2014, 01:23 PM
We should do something good. We're a newly formed community - rapidly approaching 1 year!! - and it's full of great people. It's been a strong and mostly positive group; I feel like I know a bunch of you just from all of the posting.

I think we should step outside our little cave and let people know that the Hex community isn't just making newcomers feel welcome in our home, we're also making the world outside a little brighter. So my suggestion is this:
Child's Play.
Let's take some of the generosity I've seen us show one another (tons of giveaways, people committing to holding newcomer tourneys and competitions at launch, etc) and extend it to the people who need it most.

If there's enough interest, we'll put together a full-on fundraiser. If there's only mild interest, we can make a few individual donations. What do you guys think? Can we back up the big claims about being an incredible community?

shadealpha
04-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Thats a great idea! I would definitely support that any way I can.

Xenavire
04-11-2014, 02:17 PM
I could get in on this. Do you need ideas? Because we could do a bunch of things - tournaments, streaming, giveaways... We would need a way to promote it though, which is probably the hard part.

We would need to contact someone with connections to help us promote it (Childs play isn't enough on it's own, though a great start.)

Is there any way I can help? (I can stream, I have my own fledgling news site devoted to Hex, and I can probably do some random advertising. I also make Johnny decks daily, I would happily showcase a bunch of them if needed.)

Gwaer
04-11-2014, 02:23 PM
I believe the last big fundraiser thing we did was through this http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?

Xenavire
04-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I believe the last big fundraiser thing we did was through this http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?

I dont remember any fundraisers, but if you already have things organised (so to speak) then that takes out one things we need to figure out.

Gwaer
04-11-2014, 02:30 PM
A bunch of us streamers did 24 hour streaming for charity. So it was quite a while ago, I don't remember who has the idea, it was before my internet provider informed me that I needed to pay them 300 more a month if I wanted to stream =(

Xenavire
04-11-2014, 02:47 PM
I would do a 24 hour stream, if my PC can handle it (it is a tough beast, but 24 hours straight might be a bit much.) I definitely want to do what I can.

mudkip
04-11-2014, 03:18 PM
I think you should cool your jets until well in to Open Beta. Similar to Shaq's (I think) comments on Refer-a-friend programs, there should be a lot more content in-game for people to come here for.

Xenavire
04-11-2014, 03:22 PM
I think you should cool your jets until well in to Open Beta. Similar to Shaq's (I think) comments on Refer-a-friend programs, there should be a lot more content in-game for people to come here for.

Considering the time and planning this may require, it isn't a bad idea to start now and get things prepared for Beta. Once Beta is ready (lets say 2-3 weeks in when the most annoying bugs will be squashed) we can easily do this. Besides, the idea is to get players in to try out the game when it is free to play - if we enter open beta before the game is ready for consumption, there are a lot bigger problems than a little community event.

funktion
04-13-2014, 02:02 AM
I'd like to contribute if possible. My schedule is about to get insanely hectic over the next 2-3 months, but even if I can't really actively help then at the very least I can make a promo vid on my youtube channel for the folks that are streaming or something along those lines.

Edit: really though if someone starts organizing something, I'm posting here so that hopefully you can give me a heads up and I'll try to set some time aside.

RobHaven
04-14-2014, 10:57 AM
I am not sold on Child's Play. When I reference them, it's strictly for the purposes of being able to use a name in general. CP can be substituted with Extra Lives, ChemoClothes, Charity X...whatever.

I've kicked around dozens of ideas, and I'm not really sure what would be best. Let me toss a few of them out here and see what people think. PLEASE DO NOT GET HUNG UP ON SPECIFICS. Saying, "I don't think we should auction a Rep Gambit." is not helpful. Explaining why you don't think an auction is a good fit for our cause is helpful.

*1* A fully streamed "Race to First" run of the first raid when PvE launches. I realize this encourages something I hate ("first!"), but sometimes you need to take one on the chin to make the world a little better. It should be a very prominent trio(s) doing it. It could be either a competitive thing where you're watching the top guilds go for the gold, or it could be a "Team Child's Play" kind of thing where we're all following one group specifically.
This is a lot more appealing for people already playing, and I'm not sure exactly how you guys monetize streaming. Ads? Anyway, if streaming is a potential money raiser, then this is at the top of my list.

*2* Auctioning off KS exclusives: A playset of KS AA cards, a guaranteed spot in a Raid Leader's party for Raid X that will be streamed, collecting plat and giving it to someone as a make-shift "free drafts for a year" kind of thing, etc.
Auctions are self-explanatory. I have raised tens of thousands of dollars auctioning off everything from sports tickets to wine baskets to myself. The potential here is huge, and this is probably one of the easiest to execute. This also has broader appeal as people who missed out on the KS could get a taste of the good life.

*3* A feat of strength. Whether it's marathon gaming, setting a gaming world record, or doing something way outside the box (I can't think of a good example - hopefully someone can), it would have to be something that makes people stop and go "Holy s**t!" Something that draws plenty of attention to the cause.