PDA

View Full Version : Voice Chat: what program do you use?

Yoss
04-11-2014, 10:23 PM
What do people prefer nowadays? I used to use Ventrillo. I've heard of Teamspeak. What's your preference?

Ebynfel
04-11-2014, 11:10 PM
I typically use Teamspeak, but have used Ventrillo, raidcall, skype just to name a few. Currently my installed voice comms are skype and teamspeak.

I tend to prefer TS and Vent over skype, simply because I have a slow computer and they are much lighter weight. They also come set up for push to talk, as the last thing I want to hear over comms is someone chewing their lip or slurping their cup of joe. But that's a personal thing :)

Teamspeak is my primary for most events, skype when having a 'phone conversation' with a friend over the interwebs, and Ventrillo if needed. I really dont prefer TS to Vent, it's just what my guild uses for WoW, so it's what I use most often.

Gwaer
04-11-2014, 11:25 PM
I think I prefer mumble, but it's a very fragmented market. I end up using all of the ones mentioned in this thread about once a week, because various groups I deal with all prefer one over the other.

Yoss
04-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Do any of those mentioned require a server host? That would disqualify it for my group. I seem to remember Vent requiring a server, but it worked well other than that.

Gwaer
04-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Mumble requires a server, but it's free and you can set it up on your own PC and let people connect to it. Grab yourself a free static IP address from any number of places and you're all set.

Niedar
04-12-2014, 06:15 AM
Mumble. I guess you can use Teamspeak as well since it does support Opus but people should not be using ventrilo because as far as I know it hasn't been updated in years.

Zomnivore
04-12-2014, 09:23 AM
team speak and ventrillo are my bread and butter, I hate skype. The only program I want on all the time is steam, and that one only because it hosts my gaming library.

syphonhail
04-12-2014, 04:50 PM
I have used and currently use Ventrilo, Team speak, Skype, and Mumble. In terms of flexibility, configuration, lightweightedness and price, I vastly prefer Mumble.

Arbiter
04-13-2014, 01:55 AM
Dolby Axon. It's free, stereo and the quality is way better than anything else I have ever used. https://axon.dolby.com

Svenn
04-13-2014, 11:13 AM
I almost exclusively use Ventrilo. I don't mind other ones, but I really don't like Skype.

syphonhail
04-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Dolby Axon. It's free, stereo and the quality is way better than anything else I have ever used. https://axon.dolby.com

We tested this for a week. At the time, the lag was worse than any of the alternatives and, while the rooms and positional audio were quaint and interesting, they were a novelty that most users disabled quickly.