PDA

View Full Version : Initial Beta Population

chili
04-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Hey I just wanted to post concerning the initial state of both the economy and game once we transition into beta. Many people are hypothesizing costs, lotus garden impacts and a whole bunch of different variables. I just wanted to say that between the release of beta and the coming of open or closed beta invitation to others, Hex is gonna suck more than it does in Alpha.

Until we have an influx of new people or prizes that make the EV of a tournament higher than the cost, drafting and organized tournaments will not be viable without CZE or outside organization (draft saturdays or something). Currently it is "difficult"to line up a queue of 8 takes like 10 mins, when people have to actually pay for this, the number of available players will drop. Until we get a large enough to have the option of firing up a draft at any time of day. People should expect limited participation in both tournaments and draft, playing the proving grounds will be around the same, and the game will have a period of slump in which both the economy and the tournament scene will suffer greatly until new players are thrown into the mix, bear in mind that any calculations that have been made are useless or idle speculation as the active player base is like 2 k and will increase greatly with the first round of beta invites or open beta, i truly feel that we will not get the hand of how the economy in this game works well enoguh to make predictions until after set 3.

Xenavire
04-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Chilli, you need to remember that a lot of backers have barely stopped in to play, because they have been waiting for Beta. When their rewards are available to them (their inbox will probably be a 'red flag' for them, being filled with rewards codes), then the servers are going to flood with tons of people, who will essentially being play the game for the first time.

And that is only during Closed beta. Open beta opens the floodgates to everyone and their grandmother. Some may even bring their grandmothers.

I think it will be an interesting whirlwind of activity.

hex_colin
04-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Also, free drafts every week. People won't want to lose that value. There will be lots of drafting the first year just because of KS.

BossHoss
04-14-2014, 02:38 PM
No time to currently reply in great detail but important info missed in the OP:
- There are well over 5000 free drafts per week for the first year floating around (equates to a draft firing every 20 mins avg but of course their will be Euro/NA/AU peak and low times)
- People no longer have access to complete sets so EV wise drafting is the best route to fulfill collections

incitfulmonk21
04-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Also, many don't play drafts anymore because there is nothing in it. The bugs have been flushed out. Maybe not fixed but at least known and we don't keep the cards.

Drafts might be fun and all but the playing just to play has taken its toll and the population won't increase again until we actually gain something from playing besides just testing deck strategies/ drafting strategy.

Kiworrior
04-14-2014, 03:55 PM
No time to currently reply in great detail but important info missed in the OP:
- There are well over 5000 free drafts per week for the first year floating around (equates to a draft firing every 20 mins avg but of course their will be Euro/NA/AU peak and low times)

Yeah, just with those weekly free drafts alone, I think we will have no problem finding drafts to join.

Gwaer
04-14-2014, 04:12 PM
I disagree with a lot of things that happened in the kickstarter, but there are two things that I think they got absolutely right, the primary one is free drafts for X, as mentioned earlier in this thread that is going to be a huge driving force in making sure that there are regular drafts firing. It will be interesting to see how it plays out I agree, but I think that will help a lot.

Kubira
04-14-2014, 06:33 PM
I have three friends on my friend list who I haven't seen (in this game, we play another weekly) since I added them to the friends list. They were turned off by everyone having all the cards and will be back when the collections are real. I am sure there are lots of people just like them. I think only a fraction of the backers actually still play regularly.

Werlix
04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
I have three friends on my friend list who I haven't seen (in this game, we play another weekly) since I added them to the friends list. They were turned off by everyone having all the cards and will be back when the collections are real. I am sure there are lots of people just like them. I think only a fraction of the backers actually still play regularly.

They were disappointed that we all owned all the cards?? Wow... that's my favourite thing about the game right now :) I dread the day when my collection will be wiped but I understand why it has to happen. Funny that people would be happier if they had their stuff taken away.

I would love it if this game was an "LCG" style game where you buy the whole set instead of getting blind booster packs...

shocker455
04-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Playing for prizes is part of what makes card games fun tho. It adds an element of risk to your choices when you play.

My friends and i all enjoy hex but until its in beta, it almost feels pointless to play. The only reason we come up with to play is to practice for the the beta, and the pro tourny

Gwaer
04-14-2014, 09:51 PM
I honestly agree with the people that can't wait for beta. The card wipe will improve the game immensely for pretty much everyone I know.

Barkam
04-14-2014, 09:59 PM
I find it pointless to play until I get to keep cards. Once they announce closed beta release date that is when I'll play. Most likely I will start 2 weeks before closed beta release date to practice. My playtime will switch from Path of Exile to here 100%.

Cernz
04-14-2014, 10:52 PM
i also dont play constructed anymore - only drafting atm, having all the cards available might
be fun in the first weeks, but having his own cards and play against "not perfect" decks in the
beginning of closed/open beta / launch is way more fun imo.

Reifu
04-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Consider how much more fun and popular playing poker with real money is than playing with play money...

Consider how fun MMO's (like WoW for instance) would be if you were max level and got all the gear you could ever want when you log in the first time...

Same thing for Hex, the real fun begins when it's "for real".

Gulbech
04-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Agree with all, the game will be more fun when the prizes are real. Won a tourney last night and did not really care.:)

chili
04-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Well, to be honest I didn't consider the whole free draft of the week thing, I guess I'll wait and see what happens, still I find all predictions of the economy a moot point.

Werlix
04-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Wow I guess I underestimated people's desire for rewards / progression :eek: The thrill of competition itself is what does it for me :) It will be interesting to see how things pan out at the start of closed beta...

Gwaer
04-15-2014, 02:00 PM
The competition itself is different when everyone doesn't have all the cards, making the best deck with what you have that beats people who dropped major bank on the deck of the week is a phenomenal feeling. LCG's have their place, but they're not what a lot of us signed up for with this game.

Raith
04-15-2014, 02:41 PM
I'm sure there will be a large surge in activity at the start of Beta. I would say that sustained activity will depend largely on how smooth everything runs. For myself, I'm just trying not to overdose on drafts now since I will be drafting a ton to build my collection once beta hits. :)

Svenn
04-15-2014, 06:59 PM
They were disappointed that we all owned all the cards?? Wow... that's my favourite thing about the game right now :) I dread the day when my collection will be wiped but I understand why it has to happen. Funny that people would be happier if they had their stuff taken away.

I would love it if this game was an "LCG" style game where you buy the whole set instead of getting blind booster packs...
For people like myself who find collecting to be half of the fun... instantly having all of the cards is not that exciting. I'm enjoying the game right now (when I get a chance to play, which is less often lately due to 60+ hour work weeks and the rest of the time being filled with Path of Exile), but I really am super excited for when I can start building my actual collection. Cracking open packs and trading to get cards is a big draw for me. Building and playing decks is fun, and drafts are a lot of fun, but right now it all feels pointless when I just have everything and I don't get to earn/keep anything.

I love the LCG format (I play like 4 LCGs) but I really love collecting things. I mean, not including TCGs I currently collect DVDs, Board Games, Video Games, Lord of the Rings stuff...

DanTheMeek
04-15-2014, 07:09 PM
I like collecting things too, but more so in a PvE type environment where the rate at which I collect things doesn't restrict my ability to be competitive against other people who are collecting them faster, as it does in pvp. Also, I like collecting things particularly when what things I get is decided by my skill or time investment rather then my pocket book. These were the reasons I was originally excited by hex, and both linked are the PvE mode.

Honestly I suspect my PvP playing will actually go down when we're more limited on PvP cards and drop to almost nothing when we start getting PvE content to feast on. I've always preferred PvE to PvP, but its the social element of PvP in card games thats made them still enjoyable and kept me coming back to my local card shops for nearly a decade. You get less of that in an online card game instead of face to face, and what cards I have has no real bearing on it, so I think I'm enjoying PvP as much, if not more, now then I will when my deck building options are much more limited and losing in a tournament has more severe consequences.

Having said that, if I HAD gotten a tier with a free weekly draft, I'd still be drafting every week so as not to waste it, so even if other players think like I do in this regard, I bet they'll still be showing up for their free drafts.

AstaSyneri
04-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Lots of valid arguments in this thread. I am very curious, thoughs, whether the Beta Client will be that stable from the start. I'll likely wait a week or two until I commit to the server, just in case.

Fortunately the Alpha Client is valid for just a little while longer - enough hopefully for example for our intra-guild elimination tournament to end. That would definitely suck if we had to discontinue that.

Rapkannibale
04-19-2014, 07:07 AM
Agree as well. I for example am one that invested a lot in the KS but haven't really been that active in the Alpha. I am not much of a alpha/beta player because I dislike the fact that I lose all progress. Its pretty selfish I know and I am thankful for all the people that dedicated a lot of time to testing and reporting bugs. They made the game better. Now that we get our own stuff and we keep our progress and I will be more active for sure.

LNQ
04-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Wow I guess I underestimated people's desire for rewards / progression :eek: The thrill of competition itself is what does it for me :) It will be interesting to see how things pan out at the start of closed beta...

The thing is, people have no incentive to play to win when there are no rewards for winning. The reason I enjoy card games with prizes, especially those with prizes that are worth money, is that it guarantees people try their best.

It's much more satisfying winning against someone when you can be sure they were in it to win it.

I've been playing draft every now and then to get used to the set and get used to drafting, but haven't been too excited to play for real. Tons of people quitting during drafts or between rounds because there is nothing at stake.