PDA

View Full Version : Be neat if we got a discount if we buy a box.

wasichu
04-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Say if we but 36 packs we get packs for 1.75 plat . So 6.3k plat for 36 pack box over say 7.2k plat.

I think my maths right.

GPrime
04-17-2014, 06:15 AM
You'll be able to buy packs at the "box discount" on the auction house, no worries about that. Also, VIP offers an even deeper discount, albeit without the instant gratification.

While it's certainly something they have the option of doing, given the above I expect they'll forego it.

Xenavire
04-17-2014, 06:18 AM
I think they denied plans for this. Doesn't mean they won't, but I wouldn't expect it, or expect it soon.

DanTheMeek
04-17-2014, 06:55 AM
I feel like they denied plans for it too, but there's been so much speculation about this and that on the forum its hard to keep track of what is real and what is opinion anymore. Regardless of what CZE said or didn't say, I hope they DON'T do anything like that. If they want to discount pack costs further, they should just implement a discount regardless of how many packs you buy. Having a price point at which you can get packs cheaper just decreases the net worth of all packs while discouraging those who can't afford to spend the necessary amount to reach that point from spending at all. CZE should want the player who can only afford to buy a pack a month to still feel they're getting just as much value as the guy who spends 100 dollars a month.

A long long time ago, in a thread far far away, I suggested a sort of "experience" based spending system, where you get extra rewards after you've spent x dollars total, regardless of whether or not you did it in 50 single dollar increments over a year or 100 dollar increments over a week. Thats still a system I could get behind as a way to encourage extra spending and reward those who invest a lot in the game, with out necessarily punishing those with limited funds as they can still theoretically reach those same levels eventually and they're small investment now is still helping them reach that point. The prizes for reaching these tiers could also be more then just extra packs, special sleeves, character avatars, what have you, and could have a limited number of tiers (to be expanded later if so desired) so as to less negatively impact the value of packs.

At the end of the day though you can get enough of a discount on pack prices just by entering swiss drafts and not getting last place, with that, not even taking into account auction house prices, I just don't know that a bulk purchase discount is really needed however it might be implemented.

RobHaven
04-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Dan, how would you feel about that same proposal triggering off of packs opened instead of dollars spent?
You were concerned about the less wealthy players getting cheated out of value, but then you proposed a system that rewards players for being able to spend more. Having it based off of packs opened doesn't really fix the "spend more to earn more" issue, but it does help a little when players on a limited income can earn progress by way of tournament prizes and savvy AH maneuvering.

Xenavire
04-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Dan, how would you feel about that same proposal triggering off of packs opened instead of dollars spent?
You were concerned about the less wealthy players getting cheated out of value, but then you proposed a system that rewards players for being able to spend more. Having it based off of packs opened doesn't really fix the "spend more to earn more" issue, but it does help a little when players on a limited income can earn progress by way of tournament prizes and savvy AH maneuvering.

I dunno... I can't put my finger on it, but this seems open to abuse...

Just a feeling I can't shake.

RobHaven
04-17-2014, 07:12 AM
Constructed players would be earning free progress with every tournament win... Is that what you mean? I'm not really sure how else it could be abused.

Marsden
04-17-2014, 07:16 AM
I dunno... I can't put my finger on it, but this seems open to abuse...

Just a feeling I can't shake.

Pool packs from multiple accounts onto one account to open them up and get the rewards and then pass the cards back over.
Of course the other accounts don't get the awards, but they might not care about them.

Xenavire
04-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Pool packs from multiple accounts onto one account to open them up and get the rewards and then pass the cards back over.
Of course the other accounts don't get the awards, but they might not care about them.

Yeah, that seems like the thing I couldn't shake.

Raith
04-17-2014, 07:56 AM
Bulk discounts or discounts (especially flash sales) would just distort market prices. I think CZE providing the baseline packs at $2 at least offers an initial point of stability. Of course, there will also be the VIP program and drafts to create an influx of cheaper packs. The AH will be the place to search for deals.

As for rewards for buying/opening packs, I’m not sure what the point would be. The rewards are the cards you get and the treasure chests. It seems like CZE is already trying to provide a lot of value in each pack even beyond the cards. Also, someone buying a lot of packs should get more primals which is a nice bonus.

If the game is good people will buy packs. If it’s not, well then it doesn’t matter what kind of reward system they devise.

wasichu
04-17-2014, 08:01 AM
"experience" based spending system

I like that idea too

RobHaven
04-17-2014, 08:39 AM
I think the treasure chests fill the "buy more, earn more" role well enough that a new incentive system wouldn't be necessary.

Svenn
04-17-2014, 10:39 AM
1) Booster packs are already very cheap. $2 is very little.
2) VIP gives you discounted boosters already.
3) Primal packs + treasure chests are extra awesome bonuses that increase the value even more.

No need to have virtual booster boxes, imo.

mudkip
04-17-2014, 05:13 PM
I don't see any gain in bulk options. If you want it cheap you can check the AH, which encourages the community.

Yoss
04-17-2014, 08:45 PM
I do not think they should sell discounted boosters beyond what they've already announced (and others have enumerated).

Rendakor
04-17-2014, 10:32 PM
I don't think they should offer discounts for buying boosters in bulk, for reasons discussed ad nauseum in the previous threads on this issue.

Bloodiron
04-17-2014, 11:04 PM
I'd be happy for some physical stuff, like a bumper sticker, vinyl decals or something like that

Arbiter
04-18-2014, 07:49 AM
Physical stuff doesn't work for a global game. It means that some miss out because of the country that they live in.

The VIP bonus is better than a booster box. It is something most people should be able to afford, unlike the box which would just mean that those of us with more disposable income would get even more.

One thing I noted with the iPad release of Hearthstone is that product bought on that platform was dearer than the price buying over PC. Which is of course because of the Apple store. I presume Hex will pass on the price as well, but the iPad version may be where you could get bulk discounts working - approaching the PC price as people buy more.

Xenavire
04-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Physical stuff doesn't work for a global game. It means that some miss out because of the country that they live in.

The VIP bonus is better than a booster box. It is something most people should be able to afford, unlike the box which would just mean that those of us with more disposable income would get even more.

One thing I noted with the iPad release of Hearthstone is that product bought on that platform was dearer than the price buying over PC. Which is of course because of the Apple store. I presume Hex will pass on the price as well, but the iPad version may be where you could get bulk discounts working - approaching the PC price as people buy more.

Cory has already admitted to having plans for some physical products. So this is going to happen in some form, fair or not.

Also, MTG makes it work, and so does WoW. MTG is a global TCG (almost completely physical product) and WoW is a global MMO (has physical products like Authenticators and plush toys). So it can work, even if the pricing ends up a little unfair in some places. And CZE will do whatever they can to make it fair.

Kurasa
04-18-2014, 09:34 AM
They've already sold some physical goods, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more. There were the t-shirts, and there were Hex mouse pads for sale at Gen Con. Not sure if it's something they'd put in the in-game shop, though.

And I agree with the folks who say that they shouldn't add any bulk discounts for boosters.

mudkip
04-18-2014, 05:24 PM
I'd be happy for some physical stuff, like a bumper sticker, vinyl decals or something like that

I really want a promotional, physical pack that contains all the flagship cool cards from set 1. I don't care if it contains anything redeemable in game.

hex_colin
04-18-2014, 08:02 PM
I want a Collectors' Edition with a Hex Comet that I can display on my desk! Cory's probably sick hearing that at this point... :P

mudkip
04-18-2014, 08:34 PM
I want a Collectors' Edition with a Hex Comet that I can display on my desk! Cory's probably sick hearing that at this point... :P

I want an Exriction, a ragefire, a Fist. Those are the three I see as big Set 1 cards. Everything else is just the cherry on top.

Gwaer
04-18-2014, 08:44 PM

Maybe we can start a kickstarter campaign to get this.

Ebynfel
04-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Could always design one for Shapeways and just, I dunno, paint them ourselves...hmm...I'll have mine made out of platinum...you know, when I win the lottery.

Arbiter
04-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Cory has already admitted to having plans for some physical products. So this is going to happen in some form, fair or not.

Also, MTG makes it work, and so does WoW. MTG is a global TCG (almost completely physical product) and WoW is a global MMO (has physical products like Authenticators and plush toys). So it can work, even if the pricing ends up a little unfair in some places. And CZE will do whatever they can to make it fair.

Separate physical stuff for sale or at cons is fine. I was talking about linking it to boosters, which would have the effect of making them more expensive, in effect, in some areas of the world.

Xenavire
04-19-2014, 03:39 AM
Again, Cory has plans to do that. We just have to wait and see how the final product is.

I think the current idea was a physical card checklist, with some booster codes?