PDA

View Full Version : Having more than one mercenary?

fido_one
04-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Hey all,

I know the Mercenary history with Hex is pretty complex - CZE had a cool vision with them and the 'you only get one you can't trade' thing just couldn't hold up over the long haul. I think it's great that CZE spent so much time and anxiety over re-tweaking it to allow a mercenary to pop between accounts.

In one of Cory's last interviews, he said that he still thinks we shouldn't have more than one mercenary per account (and he had a good technical reason, it's not really coded into the game to have multiple copies); I'd ask CZE to reconsider - if we can trade them / collect them but can't have more than one copy, you're potentially creating a really weird blip in the economy. People will still want mercanary A, and if it isn't available on the auction house but allow it to trade, you'll have a weird round-a-bout secondary trade that pops up and will be hard to track. If CZE does plan to allow them to be sold and bought on the auction house I think it would be a brain-twist for most new users to understand they are a commodity like no other.

Am I wrong here? Are there other games with auction houses and tradable economies with a one-thing-per-account-rule in a sea of as-many-things-as-you-can-horde-ability?

I do know that Cory was originally answering a 'will the backers get multiple copies of KS mercenaries because the cards were doubled with a stretch goal...?' question - I'm fine with getting only one mercenary per pledge, I just scratch my head when I can have only one mercenary per account that I can now pass around.

hex_colin
04-17-2014, 06:29 PM
I think the current plan is that you can have more than one (to facilitate selling or trading the extra), but that it'll do you no good to have more than one (obviously). Remember too that the current expectation is that these sorts of things will be pretty rare (Primal level? worse?) - having more than one will not be a problem for lots of folks.

fido_one
04-17-2014, 06:32 PM
I think the current plan is that you can have more than one (to facilitate selling or trading the extra), but that it'll do you no good to have more than one (obviously). Remember too that the current expectation is that these sorts of things will be pretty rare (Primal level? worse?) - having more than one will not be a problem for lots of folks.

Thanks Colin - does this mean and/or do you think that mercenaries will be a fully tradable commodity? If they are going to be super rare and we can have multiple copies than I look at my KS mercenaries and immediately think 'tradable value' making me want more than one.

hex_colin
04-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks Colin - does this mean and/or do you think that mercenaries will be a fully tradable commodity? If they are going to be super rare and we can have multiple copies than I look at my KS mercenaries and immediately think 'tradable value' making me want more than one.

The last word was that they were tradable. Not sure if the KS ones are being treated any differently.

Yoss
04-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Trade-able would seem to imply multiple copies on an account, though as Colin said, only the first copy has any meaning for game play. Extra copies are purely for trading, but this needs to be allowed otherwise what are they going to do, modify the loot tables to deny you your awesome merc drop just because you already had it? That would suck.

GPrime
04-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Cory touched on this during infam0usne0 and jtatta's interview with him. Originally mercenaries were untradeable so as of the implementation at that time, they were simply an account flag and not a stackable "item". Cory didn't mention explicitly that this would be changed, but his thoughtful tone about the issue implies that the disconnect here was noted and will likely be rectified by the time we "have" mercenaries.

In short, I wouldn't worry.

Xenavire
04-18-2014, 04:11 AM
Seeing the stash, I am pretty certain they have already changed the way mercs work to be stackable.

Yoss
04-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Side note about the stash, I didn't see any spot for chests

hex_colin
04-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Side note about the stash, I didn't see any spot for chests

They currently show up beside your packs of cards when you go to open packs. Stackable by rarity.

shadealpha
04-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Does anyone know how many chests you can have in a stack?

The largest stack I have right now is 60 common chests.

Xenavire
04-18-2014, 01:42 PM
What Colin said. They are there, but I don't see any dedicated slots for anything as of yet. Assuming that it will undergo a huge overhaul at some point.

Yoss
04-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Guess I missed it, thanks. Maybe I just don't have any chests yet? I'll check it out.

mudkip
04-18-2014, 05:21 PM
I imagine the mercenary similar to pets and mounts in WoW. It's an item in your inventory you can trade, until you it and it binds.

Also, I hope the economy is more focused on cards and pve than the misc stuff like mercs.

Xenavire
04-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Thats actually a good point - will the mercs bind on use? Because I want to keep my collection of mercs, but still be able to lend my fiancee Moof (she thinks it is adorable). But if it is going to bind to one of us, that would actually tick me off.

I don't think they should bind, but I do think that if they have progress attached to them, that it should have the option to wipe (I might just end up trying to buy my fiancee a copy anyway.)

Ebynfel
04-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Thats actually a good point - will the mercs bind on use? Because I want to keep my collection of mercs, but still be able to lend my fiancee Moof (she thinks it is adorable). But if it is going to bind to one of us, that would actually tick me off.

I don't think they should bind, but I do think that if they have progress attached to them, that it should have the option to wipe (I might just end up trying to buy my fiancee a copy anyway.)

I was really disappointed when I found out the Mustachioed gang had absolutely nothing to do with a Mario spoof....
I mean, to me it made sense. A mushroom that summoned mustachio wearing plumbers to defend it's kingdom... it would have been amazing :(