PDA

View Full Version : Yoss' Trip Report: Game Night April 16

Yoss
04-18-2014, 05:35 PM
I finally was able to find some time to sneak away to visit CZE HQ for Game Night on April 16, and I'm glad I did. Here's my report, limited by the NDA of course.

Will (AKA Shaq):
Will received me and helped me find the other guys to talk to. We didn't talk a whole lot, but it was nice to meet him and hear a little about his place on the Hex team.

Kevin:
I spoke with Kevin a bit about the levelling system. He confirmed that the Might system of levelling for each champion on each dungeon is the way they're headed. The goal is to never lock a player out of the ability to customize his deck into any style he wishes at any given time. In other words, they do not want you to be locked into an orc aggro style forever just because that's what you chose back at level 1. The other half of their levelling system I do not believe has been confirmed publicly yet, so I can't give any details, but it fits with the expressed design goals. While I might not love everything about the system, I am no longer worried about what they will end up delivering. Kevin voiced all the design goals and trade offs that I would have wanted him to be considering, so even if they don't choose my favorite path (and I'm not sure I even know what "my favorite" would be), I know they're going to be doing what's best for the game as a whole.

We also talked about the PvE game's difficulty curve and how much of a design challenge it will be to let newbies come in and have some success (and fun!) while still providing a high end for the elite players. Kevin talked about some of his ideas for how to get there. He didn't mention anything from our hard modes thread but maybe it just slipped his mind.

Dan/Ben:
I also had the opportunity to sit with Ben and Dan as they made one of their final passes through the Set 2 designs. During the process I was able to find out about one of the new mechanics they'll be introducing. It's neat, but that's all I'm allowed to say about it. A couple of my favorite Set 1 Constructed decks will also be getting some new toys, so that's something to look forward to. It was quite funny listening to Ben and Dan debate and joke about what modifications to make to various cards. At least based on this one sample, it seemed like Ben is the crazy idea guy and Dan is the stabilizer. They seem to make a great team.

Ben/Colin:
Everyone's favorite KS backer, Colin, was also there. He, Ben, and I were able to sit and chat a bit about this and that after Dan took off for home. (Who authorized going home, anyway? ;)) Ben showed me their PvE progress board, which showed lots of PvE content that has cleared Design and is ready for next steps. There's also a bunch that's still in Design and/or Design rework. We also chatted about what decks and cards are showing up in the Set 1 competitive scene and pondered whether there would need to be any more changes at the last minute. (That was mostly Colin and I, Ben didn't seem too interested in making further tweaks unless there was desperate need.) I also asked and heard what some of Ben's favorite Set 2 cards are (but sorry, I can't tell you :p).

Matt:
Once Ben and Colin pooped out, I headed over to the game room and had an opportunity to meet Matt and try CZE's upcoming Hobbit game (link (http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/hobbit-unexpected-journey-deck-building-game)). Matt is the lead designer for the board and non-tradeable card games (I hope I got that right). He also has done a bunch of work on Hex PvE for inventing modes that will break the mold of the normal Hex play style. The Hobbit game was pretty fun. I played it with CZE Ryan and another Hex KS backer who seemed to be a Game Night regular. The game plays very much like Dominion, but the kingdom cards are replaced with a quest deck that spits out a few cards at a time for you to interact with, and there are archenemies to defeat as an alternative to just buying cards every turn.

And that was it. We closed up shop around 12:30 AM and I headed back to the hotel.

AstaSyneri
04-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Back in the Eighties there was this commercials series "Where is the meat"?

It kind of applies here. It's great that some people get to visit the offices and have a look at the game, but the confirmations of "PvE is shaping" up are getting a bit old. I really would like to see something official on that :(.

Nothing against you, Yoss, thanks for the report (albeit hobbled by the NDA), but can we get some sort of official update report? I imagine many PvE/MMO-oriented backers currently feel a bit left out.

Xenavire
04-18-2014, 06:46 PM
You know what bums me out? The stream a while ago that was meant to be with Ben, I asked if he had favourite set 2 cards - it is something I really want to know (about all the devs really). I don't need to know what they are exactly, but those hints at the cards would give me something to hold me off until set 2 is ready.

Too bad Ben got switched out and then all my questions got ignored.

hex_colin
04-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Yoss, it was great to get a chance to meet you in person!

bojanglesz
04-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Back in the Eighties there was this commercials series "Where is the meat"?

It kind of applies here. It's great that some people get to visit the offices and have a look at the game, but the confirmations of "PvE is shaping" up are getting a bit old. I really would like to see something official on that :(.

Nothing against you, Yoss, thanks for the report (albeit hobbled by the NDA), but can we get some sort of official update report? I imagine many PvE/MMO-oriented backers currently feel a bit left out.

Well considering Yoss said they're in design stage means they're not implemented into the client, ie. there is nothing to show. Gunna be a while for PVE.

Barkam
04-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. Ib wish there is a "thumb up" feature in the forums so that I didn't have to make this silly post saying I like it.

funktion
04-19-2014, 01:28 AM
Thanks for sharing Yoss. It is always exciting to hear what's going on, even if you can't share the juiciest details

hex_colin
04-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Well considering Yoss said they're in design stage means they're not implemented into the client, ie. there is nothing to show. Gunna be a while for PVE.

< insert my usual spiel about not judging progress by what you currently see in the client >

Personally, I'm less worried about the specific date that they'll "release" PVE and more focused on whether or not they're making good progress overall. Every time I visit I see significant progress on the PVE board, core game systems, card designs, iPad version, etc. A great PVE game a year from now is significantly preferable to a crap, rushed version in the near future.

Edit: not that it's going to be a year, I have no knowledge of the specific plans...

Ju66ernaut
04-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Yoss, are you really tall? I was there Wednesday, too. I stopped to thank Colin for being such great community example & avid supporter; and to thank Ben for his passion and dedication. I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself better, the girlfriend was ready to go.

hex_colin
04-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Yoss, are you really tall? I was there Wednesday, too. I stopped to thank Colin for being such great community example & avid supporter; and to thank Ben for his passion and dedication. I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself better, the girlfriend was ready to go.

Yup, that was Yoss.

Yoss
04-19-2014, 11:31 AM
What Colin said.

AstaSyneri
04-19-2014, 02:29 PM
< insert my usual spiel about not judging progress by what you currently see in the client >

Personally, I'm less worried about the specific date that they'll "release" PVE and more focused on whether or not they're making good progress overall. Every time I visit I see significant progress on the PVE board, core game systems, card designs, iPad version, etc. A great PVE game a year from now is significantly preferable to a crap, rushed version in the near future.

Edit: not that it's going to be a year, I have no knowledge of the specific plans...

I absolutely agree with you. In principle. It's just that we who we are not privileged to drop by the offices every once in a while do not get any information on the progress of that particular part of the game. Yes, the client is shaping up and the game itself is fun, but tournament play is not what I backed it for and I just would like to know more.

Being under NDA of course you cannot say more, but would it be so hard for CZE to give us some art, or screen shot, or just a paragraph in the weekly updates? I think not. Those vague assurances always leave a bad taste in my mouth. Not your fault at all.

GrinningBuddha
04-19-2014, 03:44 PM
I suspect now that Beta is here, we'll see more focus on PvE as the weeks go on. The first priority is the Auction House and trading, with guild features after that. Once those are in game, we should start to see PvE content IMO.

Thrawn
04-19-2014, 04:54 PM
I suspect now that Beta is here, we'll see more focus on PvE as the weeks go on. The first priority is the Auction House and trading, with guild features after that. Once those are in game, we should start to see PvE content IMO.

Auction House and trading are big things and things that need to run FLAWLESSLY all the time. PvE content might be looked at after, but that could be a long, long ways out.

Stok3d
04-19-2014, 09:12 PM
/jealous

I'd love to take a trip to Cali for this. Thanks for sharing.