PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm pretty sure I will love the PvE

Rapkannibale
04-19-2014, 06:40 AM
Hello fellow Hexers!

I know we are all excited for the PvP closed beta, but I think what will make Hex stand out far above similar games will be the PvE. I was thinking about what I think I liked so much about it and I think it is basically just a combination of all my favorite things in gaming.

I like MMORPGs. I like chasing rare loot, playing with others, getting to know the lore, but I don't really like the mechanics of how you do all those things. I don't really like walking around from quest to quest and I don't really like the tab target or action based combat. I am much more of a "turn-based kind-a-guy". :) So the Hex PvE basically gives me all what I love about MMORPGs combined with my favorite type of game: a turn based card game.

How do you feel about the PvE. Do you think you will like it or leave it?

Xenavire
04-19-2014, 06:59 AM
After seeing the PvP set come together, I can't wait for PvE, simply because there will be crazy amounts of new combos to try. Even a tiny portion of the original spoiled cards (and the equipment reveals that came with it) speak volumes about just how crazy PvE will be.

I mean, one of the equipments for Soul Marble transforms all the other soul marbles in play at the same time - the other equipment gives a free turn when a soul marble transforms. And free turns stack. So you could trigger 4 turns at once, turning them all into cavalry (unblocked, they would do 120 damage, split over 5 turns, assuming they were all in play for at least one turn.)

Or the escalation cards? Each one can escalate all the others.

Obviously, things may have, and probably will have changed. But these are insane ideas, and we can be assured of even more insanity when we add the whole sets worth of equipment to the whole PvE set and equipment, along with sockets...

At this rate, I am starting to think that the full launch of PvE could keep us busy for years, without content updates.

Idus
04-19-2014, 01:54 PM
We have a whole guild of over 100 people who are in the game for PvE. Personally I'm also working on a Fansite just for PvE. I agree the potential is huge, and many people still don't realise that. Let's just hope the execution lives up to the promise. I know at least 100 people who are dying to find out :)

AstaSyneri
04-19-2014, 02:32 PM
I just want to learn more about it at this point.

But being in the same guild with Idus, that's kind of a given.

Marsden
04-19-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm sure I'll love the PvE because I've played hundreds of games just against the rudimentary AI that we have right now.
I can't wait to actually dive into a dungeon and see what can be done with PvE cards added into the mix.

Edswor
04-19-2014, 03:08 PM
In my case is mostly for the PvEvP (PvP with PvE cards) I don't know if that's the correct name for it ;)

ev1lb0b
04-19-2014, 03:09 PM
It's going to be an almost completely different game to PVP...the complexity that equipment adds is going to make games so much more interesting, if that's the right word to use, than what we are playing now. I have 2 reservations about PVE...I hope that the AI is up to the task and that Crypto can somehow get a decent income from PVE as I am sure that the vast amount of players will be here for that side of the game. I'm a Dungeon Crawler and almost solely here for the PVE experience.

GrinningBuddha
04-19-2014, 03:40 PM
PvP will consume the bulk of my play time with time out for drafts and the occasional constructed tournament. I played Shandalar (the original Duel of the Planeswalkers from 1999) for many hundreds of hours and I cannot wait to play the evolution of that game that the PvE is shaping up to be. Closed beta brings us one step closer!

Thraeg
04-19-2014, 03:45 PM
I hope that Crypto can somehow get a decent income from PVE as I am sure that the vast amount of players will be here for that side of the game.

That's been one of my main concerns ever since the announcement. It seems a bit out of whack that the side of the game that requires lots of custom, hand-generated design to be added on a regular basis doesn't have any way to generate income other than as a loss leader to entice some percentage of players into the PvP side. Whereas once the core purchasing/tournament/AH systems are in place, all PvP needs is regular infusions of new cards. It concerns me that the lack of parity in terms of revenue could lead to development resources for additional PvE content drying up, as there's less of an apparent return on that investment for CZE.

Marsden
04-19-2014, 04:09 PM
I think that depends on how viable decks made only from free starter pack + PvE cards only are. I suspect that any top-end PvE decks are going to need a good set of the high end PvP cards - so if you want to really dig into PvE, you need to get those PvP cards somehow.

GrinningBuddha
04-19-2014, 04:21 PM
PvE will feed the PvP:

- Key cards needed to raid and fill out decks will be PvP only (think Extinction, Xenthoth's Inquisitor, etc.)
- PvE players will inevitably wander over to PvP to try a draft or play in a pre-release tournament. Don't forget that one of the dungeons is essentially a PvE draft format. CZE knows they can entice people to PvP by introducing them to these kinds of formats and making them feel more comfortable with them.
- When team formats are introduced in PvP, PvE raiding teams will likely give them a try since they're used to playing together already.

PvP will feed the PvE:

- Gold. PvP players want it and in mass quantities. They'll get it by selling PvP cards on the AH and by doing quests in PvE.
- Many cards not appropriate for constructed will be quite good for PvE. Getting some of these cards will encourage people to play certain PvE dungeons.
- Change of pace from tournaments or to fill in time when they don't have time to play a draft or constructed tourney.

Rest assured there will be plenty of crossover between each format and CZE will be able to capitalize on PvP income from PvE players.

Idus
04-19-2014, 04:37 PM
GrinningBuddha pretty much has it covered. It's purely up to CZE how much they want to bias the game towards a no-cost PvE vs a revenue raising PvE, and it doesn't have to be with pay-to-win tactics either.

Whether it's buying gold with platinum, for those who are time poor but want to collect all the PvE goodies, or maybe those who want to make the rarest PvE gear, which can only be obtained by disenchanting Angel of Dawn cards for the legendary materials, or simply chasing mercenaries which only come from chests, requiring pack purchases, there could be lots of incentives for PvE'ers to spend platinum.

wolzarg
04-19-2014, 08:44 PM
If you ever disenchant an Angel of Dawn i swear to bajesus i will show you the true meaning of pain! Disenchanting for legendary mats is what Transmogrifier was born for.

hex_colin
04-19-2014, 09:09 PM
If you ever disenchant an Angel of Dawn i swear to bajesus i will show you the true meaning of pain! Disenchanting for legendary mats is what Transmogrifier was born for.

I'm going to do it (dust an Angel) the first chance I get and post it to YouTube! ;)

Swaytje
04-20-2014, 01:46 AM
When will PvE become available? Is there any word on that yet?

Rapkannibale
04-20-2014, 01:59 AM
When will PvE become available? Is there any word on that yet?

We don't know exactly but it won't be during the closed beta. Think it will be after open beta. Would be great if it went live with Open Beta so they can get a lot of good press from it. :)