PDA

View Full Version : When Beta starts...

chili
04-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Do you plan to immediately try to log in and cash your promo codes, or will you wait for the first wave to come show the bugs in the system and then wait for crypto to fix them? I know now not to try to login as ASAP that's how I ended up with two names in the client. Also I will wait on the promo codes as well as I don't want to have ask for them again.

Xenavire
04-20-2014, 10:40 AM
I will be going in ASAP and redeeming ASAP - if I have bugs, that means I can do my part to help out. If I don't have bugs, hooray!

bojanglesz
04-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Waiting for sure. Probably a week or two just to make sure everything is all good.

Aradon
04-20-2014, 11:11 AM
For me, it depends on how the free drafts will be handled. If the weekly timer starts when the code is redeemed, I'll hold off as long as is politely allowed before redeeming since I'm almost solely interested in PvE. I imagine CZE would like to have all promotions redeemed within some timeframe, so I'll happily abide by that. Other factors that might cause me to redeem earlier would be to help support a guild, when that feature rolls out, and if I happen to become impatient in the meantime. That SEEMS LIKELY.

ossuary
04-20-2014, 11:31 AM
I don't have much interest in the epeen scene, so I'll likely be holding off on redeeming for some time, as long as it's feasible to do so and still get/keep my beta access account. Certainly I won't be opening any packs until treasure chest loot tables are properly complete (and really, I'd like to hold onto pretty much all of my KS packs until GenCon, so I can get some of the exclusive item-flagged chests). What I'm really interested in is PVE, so I guess I'll have to mostly make do with my starter deck(s) and handful of free drafts for the time being (and whenever VIP goes live, that too).

shocker455
04-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Didn't they say the free year drafts start right away, not when you redeem you code? Although this was months ago so it could change

Daer
04-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Depends. If the free drafts start right away I'll redeem my GK/PP on the weekend probably, save my Kings until beta is a bit more feature complete. If free drafts don't start right away I'll probably wait a couple weeks.

DanTheMeek
04-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Didn't they say the free year drafts start right away, not when you redeem you code? Although this was months ago so it could change

I recall hearing that too, I believe it was because there were people hoping to hold off on activating them till set 2 came out in order to get set 2+ packs out of them instead of more set 1 packs they'd likely already have hundreds of.

Anyway, on topic, I was only king tier so no yearly free drafts to worry on missing out on, as such closed beta will probably force me to finally take a break from Hex after playing it so frequently through out the alpha, until either keep what you bring drafts are implemented (not likely to ever happen) or pve is implemented (more likely this). I suppose the third option is that the Lotus Garden gets implemented before PvE which would also prompt me to redeem my code and at least start signing in every day, but that would seem kind of silly to start the garden with out the pve side of things to use it in.

Not worried about how buggy the game is or anything like that, but kind of stuck in a catch 22 where straight opening my packs over drafting them seems like a waste of value, yet only getting to keep what I pick (which is unlikely to be what I want to keep outside the draft) sucks the fun out of drafts for me and will likely result in my either losing right away and still not getting value if I draft for greed/need, or my having a collection of like a million of the same cards which are largely commons and only good cards in drafts which I can no longer use them for second time.

The exception to this, which I may redeem early for are primal packs since you can't draft those anyway. But it'd be just to kind of to see what I got since its not likely I can make anything out of the starters plus a few primals.

The real question that I don't have an answer for is what I'll do with my pvp packs when pve comes out, since those cards can be used in pve too, will I still just hold on to them hoping for a draft format thats likely never to come? I don't know, but unless theres ever a reason to straight open packs over draft them, or that draft format does get implemented, doing anything but sitting on my packs is probably going to feel like a waste to me.

YourOpponent
04-20-2014, 05:51 PM
I recall hearing that too, I believe it was because there were people hoping to hold off on activating them till set 2 came out in order to get set 2+ packs out of them instead of more set 1 packs they'd likely already have hundreds of.

Wait...is that even possible to do? If so I could see people waiting to cash in their larger KS rewards and just using a Slacker Backer or something for a few set 1 packs. I hope that they aren't allowing the KS rewards to be cashed in for set 2 packs instead of set one because that just doesn't feel like it's in the spirit of the game. But if they are allowing this then I guess I could just buy a few set 1 packs $1 each from the AH to get things started until set 2 is out.

f5shooter
04-20-2014, 05:52 PM
You are aware of the tournament mode called "Sealed" right? In it, you open 6 packs and keep everything you opened and make a 40 card deck out of 6 random packs.... and then play for prizes. Sounds like more what you are looking for then draft.

Aradon
04-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Wait...is that even possible to do? If so I could see people waiting to cash in their larger KS rewards and just using a Slacker Backer or something for a few set 1 packs. I hope that they aren't allowing the KS rewards to be cashed in for set 2 packs instead of set one because that just doesn't feel like it's in the spirit of the game. But if they are allowing this then I guess I could just buy a few set 1 packs $1 each from the AH to get things started until set 2 is out.

He's not suggesting that you wait until Set 2's released and then redeem to get 100+ boosters. The bulk amount of boosters for the more expensive tiers are already defined as Set 1. However, the free drafts aren't necessarily Set 1 drafts. If Set 2 drafts (most likely 1-1-2) open up in the first year, then the free drafts will be granting you Set 2 packs in a sense, so the longer you wait, the more Set 2 packs you'll be able to get from the weekly draft.

Zomnivore
04-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Gaming hard :)

Honestly I think they'll probably trigger it once the game is solid in beta. Then they will stop the clock or-apply more time onto your clock as recompense for down time.

I think they designed the reward around that idea.

YourOpponent
04-20-2014, 07:47 PM
He's not suggesting that you wait until Set 2's released and then redeem to get 100+ boosters. The bulk amount of boosters for the more expensive tiers are already defined as Set 1. However, the free drafts aren't necessarily Set 1 drafts. If Set 2 drafts (most likely 1-1-2) open up in the first year, then the free drafts will be granting you Set 2 packs in a sense, so the longer you wait, the more Set 2 packs you'll be able to get from the weekly draft.

Ok good. That makes things more enjoyable for the gaming environment than it otherwise would of been as a whole. I could easily seen people holding on to multiple King(+) codes to "cash in" on future sets otherwise...which could of been more harmful to Crypto that way. I just wanted to make sure that I was understanding the KS rewards right from before that the 150 booster packs for King or higher was set 1 ONLY. Although as a greedy son of a gun I would of course liked it differently as an individual for set 2 :)

DanTheMeek
04-20-2014, 08:41 PM
You are aware of the tournament mode called "Sealed" right? In it, you open 6 packs and keep everything you opened and make a 40 card deck out of 6 random packs.... and then play for prizes. Sounds like more what you are looking for then draft.

I am indeed, but (and I may been mistaken as its been years since I've entered a sealed tournament) I believe sealed is a strictly worse value then draft since you have to open 6 packs instead of only 3, yet the prizes are the same. On top of that, and this is just my opinion, I find sealed considerably less enjoyable then draft since my favorite part of drafting is the pre-deck making picking cards phase, sealed is just like drafting but with the best part removed. I've personally never met anyone who prefered sealed to draft as far as "enjoyment" is concerned, while there may be some people who do like them I almost feel like the only reason they exist at all in physical card games is because having a keep what you bring draft is relatively unfeasible with physical card games.

For digital card games, I'd honestly think it would be better to instead have a keep what you bring and a keep what you pick drafts as your two limited formats and remove sealed all together, since I think a keep what you bring draft serves largely the same purpose as sealed but is strictly more enjoyable a format, but that is again just my own opinion.

Gwaer
04-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Keep what you open draft is still a terrible idea. It's non intuitive, it has all of the negatives of the HS arena, where you draft then end up being rewarded some completely awful card that wasn't in a deck. I hope it's never implemented, cause it allows so much opportunity for bitching, when someone sees the card they've always wanted passed to them, then they can't keep it.

Play sealed if you want to keep what you open, there's a ton of great info in this thread about the positives of sealed. It's a fine format.

DanTheMeek
04-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Keep what you open draft is still a terrible idea. It's non intuitive, it has all of the negatives of the HS arena, where you draft then end up being rewarded some completely awful card that wasn't in a deck. I hope it's never implemented, cause it allows so much opportunity for bitching, when someone sees the card they've always wanted passed to them, then they can't keep it.

Play sealed if you want to keep what you open, there's a ton of great info in this thread about the positives of sealed. It's a fine format.

Again, I've played sealed, including in hex before draft came out and everyone moved to that cause no one (or at least very few people) likes sealed. I think the fact that sealed is such a ghost town right now in alpha should be pretty good proof that people play sealed largely because they want to keep what they brought, not because they find it more enjoyable then draft.

And if you do like sealed, I don't mean to knock it, different people can like different things and get along, to each their own, I've just never known people who preferred it to draft from an enjoyment perspective, if they played it at all it was only so they could keep what they brought, which again is why it seems like just having a keep what you brought draft format would be the best of both worlds for people who like that type of game. Its obviously not for YOU as you would hate the format, but again, not everyone likes the same things.

Regardless, we've had this conversation before, I know quite well I can't change your mind, and that's fine, as I've said I don't think keep what you brought drafts will ever be a thing, much to my disappointment, which is why I'm not eager for alpha to end, but end it soon will be, and with it will likely come a hiatus from the game for me until we get us some amazing PvE, which was what I really backed for in the first place, the fact that drafting in alpha was so much fun has just been icing on what I'm hoping will be one heck of a delicious pve cake once its done baking.

primer
04-20-2014, 09:45 PM
I like sealed and I like draft. I find then two totally different challenges. I don't know which I prefer, I suppose it depends on the mood i'm in. I do like being given a big pool of cards and trying to find the best deck in them though. I also think if they do big tournaments i'll prefer sealed over draft.

Cernz
04-22-2014, 02:02 AM
i will go and get some platinum for draft ;)

and of course i will redeem at least on of my 2 backer keys.

AstaSyneri
04-22-2014, 04:22 AM

I'd be very surprised if they start the clock with the closed Beta. I don't believe you can expect players (especially those waiting for PvE) to lose out on the packs if they are still waiting for the features that interest to appear.

A solution where you start the clock voluntarily on your first draft (Pro Players got it easy there ;-)) or on Launch at the latest would be best for us.

As for when to open packs: Right now I'd say I'll wait a bit, but when The Arena is opened, I'll certainly start cracking them. Until then only Drafts when they "force" me to use them.

Kroan
04-22-2014, 04:45 AM
I remember them saying that drafts start as soon as monetized phase starts. It's not new info, so being surprised about it seems a bit of a stretch.

YourOpponent
04-22-2014, 05:50 AM
Again, I've played sealed, including in hex before draft came out and everyone moved to that cause no one (or at least very few people) likes sealed. I think the fact that sealed is such a ghost town right now in alpha should be pretty good proof that people play sealed largely because they want to keep what they brought, not because they find it more enjoyable then draft.

And if you do like sealed, I don't mean to knock it, different people can like different things and get along, to each their own, I've just never known people who preferred it to draft from an enjoyment perspective, if they played it at all it was only so they could keep what they brought, which again is why it seems like just having a keep what you brought draft format would be the best of both worlds for people who like that type of game. Its obviously not for YOU as you would hate the format, but again, not everyone likes the same things.

Personally my favorite part of Sealed is being given those 6 packs of cards (I liked it more when it was 3 packs but agree 6 is less luck based and more strategy based) and figuring out deck combos that you wouldn't normally use in Constructed or Draft because there are more optimal strategies.

However the only thing I don't like about sealed is that you keep what you draft. I'd much rather it be something more like the draft system in that aspect....but the only way that would be doable would be by doing a draft like normal to choose what you want to keep and then making a deck based off of the 3 packs you opened....otherwise it would be having to draft based off of the packs opened in the order they were opened after the tournament....which wouldn't be doable at all for things like a single elimination or competitive draft.

Aradon
04-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Well, I had planned on saving my code for later, but as I pretty much expected, they asked us to redeem codes as soon as possible, and as it's a perfectly reasonable request, I will be doing so. Not my preference, I suppose, but there's no really reasonable objection.