PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cards: Teen Titans Mini-Expansion

Zuty
04-21-2014, 09:32 PM
This is my first attempt at a set. I did reuse Starbolt and both Super Hero cards for Cyborg and Starfire, but all the other cards are new. I also tried my best to stick to using artwork ONLY from the original Teen Titans cartoon. Because of this, a few of the card images look ... bad, but it's the best I could do.

Here's the link to the slideshow. (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/bowsermaster12/slideshow/Teen%20Titans%20Expansion)

Also, here is the break down of the expansion listing how many of each card would be added to the main deck.

Teen Titans Expansion Pack

*5 Oversized Super Hero Cards
*65 Game Cards

Super Heroes (5)

Robin (1)
Starfire (1)
Cyborg (1)
Raven (1)
Beast Boy (1)

Super Villain (5)

Slade, Reborn (1)
Blackfire (1)
Brother Blood (1)
Red X (1)
Emperor Trigon (1)

Villain (16)

Cinderblock (2)
Control Freak (3)
Mad Mod (2)
Johnny Rancid (3)
Jinx (2)
Gizmo (2)
Mammoth (2)

Hero (16)

Terra (1)
Jericho (1)
Herald (2)
Bumblebee (3)
Speedy (3)
Aqualad (3)
Más y Menos (3)

Equipment (12)

Birdarang (3)
Communicator (3)
B-Ped (3)
T-Car (2)
Raven's Mirror (1)

Super Power (12)

Astral Projection (2)
Martial Arts (2)
Sonic Blast (2)
Shape-shifting (3)
Starbolt (3)

Location (2)

H.I.V.E. Tower (1)
Azarath (1)

I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to post any comments, questions, suggestions below.

~Zuty

homiegfunk03
04-23-2014, 07:26 AM
The cards are really well thought out. The only piece of feedback I have is that Emperor Trigon should be a random card goes to the players hand (that way it's a risk/reward thing i.e. it could be a weakness or a supervillian) or they reveal their hand and you get to chose what to play (like a pumped up Brainiac).

Zuty
04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
The cards are really well thought out. The only piece of feedback I have is that Emperor Trigon should be a random card goes to the players hand (that way it's a risk/reward thing i.e. it could be a weakness or a supervillian) or they reveal their hand and you get to chose what to play (like a pumped up Brainiac).

Thanks for the feedback! He's pretty expensive, so I wanted it to be really good. What if I changed it to: "Target foe reveals their hand. You may put a card revealed this way into your hand. Otherwise, +3 Power." ?

OR ... or ... And I just thought of this as I was typing ... "You may have each foe reveal a random card from their hand. You may put a card revealed this way into your hand. Otherwise, +3 Power."

How is that?

~Zuty

atheist4thecause
04-23-2014, 05:23 PM
I haven't had time to really look at this yet, but one thing is I definitely think you should add 3 more locations. The past sets have had 5 each and I really think that is the perfect amount. Any less and it would feel like you never see them and any more and they would clutter up the late game line-up.

Also, non-related but what is the flavor behind having multiple heroes/villains that are the same? I don't read comics, but it would be nice to have some sort of explanation for it. Is it that it's the same hero/villain that appears twice as much, it is two different versions of the same hero/villain, or is there some other explanation? I was just curious as to what other people thought.

Zuty
04-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Also, non-related but what is the flavor behind having multiple heroes/villains that are the same?

You mean like how there are 6 Suicide Squads in the main game or do you mean alternate versions like Trigon and my Emperor Trigon?

~Zuty

DimeDrl
04-23-2014, 08:47 PM
H.I.V.E. Tower is way overpowered even at eight cost. Completely negating any defense card throws the balance of the game. It's bad enough currently in a five player game to have to go through four players worth of attacks. I've seen games where people end up with no hand after a vicious round with not means to defend.

If the game has been going so badly for a player that they could only get the one hero defense, say blue beetle, then that player is effectively boned as long as H.I.V.E. Tower is out. This is especially true since the way it is worded it counts for all attacks, not just for the ones from the play in control of the card. "Foes cannot use Hero defense cards to avoid an attack."

I think I mentioned it in another thread a while back, but locations only trigger draw effects for a good reason. Anything else would tip the balance of the game badly since locations are pretty cheap at cost 5 and are ongoing.

Edit: Azarath also seems a bit problematic. If i managed to buy it my strategy would be to find a way to preload a hand so that it had all my vulnerabilities/weaknesses then use Azarath every turn to constantly keep that hand face down on the table so they never slow down my deck.

Yes, the weaknesses would never be available to destroy this way, but once they were out of my deck, my plan would be to stack victory points as hard as possible in order to dilute their effect as much as possible.

Zuty
04-25-2014, 06:19 AM
H.I.V.E. Tower is way overpowered even at eight cost. Completely negating any defense card throws the balance of the game. It's bad enough currently in a five player game to have to go through four players worth of attacks. I've seen games where people end up with no hand after a vicious round with not means to defend.

If the game has been going so badly for a player that they could only get the one hero defense, say blue beetle, then that player is effectively boned as long as H.I.V.E. Tower is out. This is especially true since the way it is worded it counts for all attacks, not just for the ones from the play in control of the card. "Foes cannot use Hero defense cards to avoid an attack."

I'll change it to ONLY Attacks used by the person who controls H.I.V.E. Tower (my original intention), but there are plenty of Defense cards that aren't Heroes.

I think I mentioned it in another thread a while back, but locations only trigger draw effects for a good reason. Anything else would tip the balance of the game badly since locations are pretty cheap at cost 5 and are ongoing.

Just drawing is kind of boring though ... However, I will be adding three more locations for this expansion that will cost 5 (or less) and trigger draw effects.

Azarath also seems a bit problematic. If i managed to buy it my strategy would be to find a way to preload a hand so that it had all my vulnerabilities/weaknesses then use Azarath every turn to constantly keep that hand face down on the table so they never slow down my deck.

Yes, the weaknesses would never be available to destroy this way, but once they were out of my deck, my plan would be to stack victory points as hard as possible in order to dilute their effect as much as possible.

That is a valid strategy, although I though I worded it so this couldn't be done. I was wrong and will be changing it to:

"At the start of your turn, you may remove all cards from your hand face down and then draw that many cards. If you do, instead of drawing a new hand at the end of your turn, put all cards removed this way into your hand at the start of your next turn."

I believe that works right now. You'll be able to remove your hand and draw a new hand of cards, but next turn you get the hand you removed back and can't use this locations effect again.

~Zuty

DimeDrl
04-25-2014, 10:43 PM
That is a valid strategy, although I though I worded it so this couldn't be done. I was wrong and will be changing it to:

"At the start of your turn, you may remove all cards from your hand face down and then draw that many cards. If you do, instead of drawing a new hand at the end of your turn, put all cards removed this way into your hand at the start of your next turn."

I believe that works right now. You'll be able to remove your hand and draw a new hand of cards, but next turn you get the hand you removed back and can't use this locations effect again.

But then the player has no hand from the end of the turn they used the location until the start of the turn after. This does two things.

1) The player's hand becomes immune to attack until their next turn because they have no hand in the interim.
2) The player loses participation in certain sometime beneficial attacks.

Example:

Azarath owner (Player 1) sets down a hand of two Vulnerabilities, two weaknesses and a punch. Player 1 draws the replacement hand and finishes the turn.

Player 2 uses an attack that makes everyone discard a card, and player 1's hand is immune because Player 1 has not picked up the hand. Player 1 maintains the hand of 5 cards on the table.

Player 3 triggers a card that gives Player 1 a card (There are a couple that could do this.) Player 1 now has 1 card in hand and a 5 card hand waiting at the next turn.

Player 4 buys a super-villain. The new super-villain is Felix Faust. Player one keeps the one card they gained from Player 2's effect, then drafts one card each from Players 2 through 5. Player 1 now has a five card hand and five more cards on the table and all the other players lose one card.

Player 5 does nothing important to effect Player 1. Player 1 starts their turn with a ten card hand after picking up the Azarath created hand.

So what just happened in this scenario?

Player 1 just gained four free cards from the other players off Faust, but was also unable to pass off all the horrible cards on the table to the other players because the hand was out of play. Chances are Player 1 also gained a few more weaknesses and/or vulnerabilities from the other players in the process.

I know this is a worst case kind of scenario, but the fact is there are a lot of messy results that come from how Azarath works. And it's the level of messy which is the reason locations only trigger a draw effect. As ongoing cards, they need to be simple or they can snowball into game-breaking cards. Most ongoing cards are simple for this reason.

Edit: Also, how does this work with Wonder Woman? The player bought three villains on the last round, they start with eight cards this round. They put those eight down, draw eight more and play. Next round do they pick up those eight cards again + an additional one for each villain they bought this round? Or do they not get any extra cards next round even if they bought more villains this round and only get the eight cards from Azarath meaning it cancels out Wonder Woman's ability on the turn after it is used?

atheist4thecause
04-26-2014, 09:46 PM
I finally looked at the Locations. I have to say that I think there is something to build off of there, but I think there are major issues with the design. My main objection is to an 8 power location. Locations get worse and worse as the game goes on, and it usually takes awhile to get 8 power. Not only that, you have to then draw the location card and then play it, which uses 1 of your cards and now you effectively only have a 4 card turn.

With my objection it seems the easy solution would be to make 8 power locations really powerful (which you did). The issue there is that if someone does get 8 power really quickly it can completely take over the game. Also, they can be really un-fun for everybody else. For instance, everybody getting attacked twice for each villain you play that attacks and they can't defend it is devastating, and they can do this every turn. Or think about something like a Starro in a 5 player game. Any discard attack makes everyone discard 2. It seems like it could be abused.

One way to fix this issue IMO is to allow the 8 power locations to come into play right when you buy them so you can get the effect right away. This will allow you to make the effect weaker, and it also prevents these locations from getting lost in your discard for the entire game. It keeps buying them relevant for the entire game. (I have always thought that locations should go into play right when you buy them, or at least at the end of your turn. I hate the whole having to put it into your discard and then it is a card in your hand for one of your turns. Of course, the base game's locations would then have to be weaker.)

I was more talking about the H.I.V.E. Tower before, because I really think the Azerath card is really under-powered. I think the ability should be something more along the lines of this:
"Once during your turn, you may remove any cards in your hand from the game. If you do, draw a card for each removed card. At the end of your turn, return the removed cards to your hand. If you have less than 5 cards in your hand, draw until your hand has 5 cards."

This might be a little wordy and there might be a better way to explain it, but this makes the ability much better. It's an 8 power location so it should be powerful. Oh, and as I said earlier, make these locations go into play right when you buy them.

Zuty
04-27-2014, 02:01 PM
@DimeDrl - Hmmmm ... This is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth. What I am going for is: "Remove your hand from the game and draw that many cards. When you would go to draw a new hand, put all the cards you removed with Azarath into your hand instead, but those cards cannot be removed again with Azarath."

If the game had phases/steps it would make this easier ... I'll have to go back and find another use for Azarath than.

@Atheist - I like the concept of Locations going RIGHT into play when you buy them, so I'll add that onto the higher costed Locations.

H.I.V.E. Tower only copies the FIRST Villain you play with an ATTACK and that's it. Now that I look at it, I think I could actually do better anyway. I'll keep the part about foe's not being able to avoid with Hero Defense cards, but have it ONLY apply to Attacks from cards you control.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's been awesome! Keep it coming so I can hone my card making skills.

~Zuty

DimeDrl
04-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Try to make it a bit simpler but still strong. I was thinking about ongoing cards and came up with an idea for an equipment

Brass Knuckles
[Image of Harley Quinn wearing the "Ha Ha" knuckles]

Ongoing: Do not discard this card at the end of your turn.

The first two Punch cards you play on each of your turns are worth and additional +1 Power

This card is worth 1VP for every punch card in your deck at the end of the game.

1 VP, Cost 7

Simple and straight forward, but strong throughout the game and in the endgame as well AND it would not be purchasable too early in the game. Azarath could work similarly.

Zuty
04-27-2014, 07:13 PM
@DimeDrl - Oooo ... Brass Knuckles is lovely and something I'd run alongside my favorite Super Hero: Batgirl. A cost of 7, at first glimpse, did seem strong, until you remember it's ongoing and turns two of your Punches into Kicks when played. While also being worth 7 more points at the end.

So I redid both Azarath and H.I.V.E. Tower while also adding in three new Locations. I'll just post them in text form for now so I can get some feedback.

Azarath
At the start of your turn, you may remove a card with cost 1 or greater from your hand facedown. If you do, draw a card.
At the end of your turn, you may return a card you removed from the game this way to your hand.
3 VP / Cost 8

H.I.V.E. Tower
When you buy or gain H.I.V.E. Tower, play it.
Foe's cannot use Hero Defense cards to avoid Attacks from cards you play.
3 VP / Cost 8

They both have strong abilities, but I think H.I.V.E. Tower was the weaker of the two, so that's why I gave it the "When you buy/gain this, play it" ability which would be too strong on Azarath in my opinion. And now, Azarath functions how I imagined it should. You can store away the ONE good card you managed to draw this turn to use later.

Here are the three other locations. They are straightforward and follow a pattern:

Nevermore ((AKA. Raven's Mind < Not part of the card name though))
The first time you play a hero or villain each turn choose one: Draw a card; or +2 Power.
1 VP / Cost 5

Steel City
The first time you play an equipment each turn choose one: Draw a card; or +2 Power.
1 VP / Cost 5

Tamaran Palace
The first time you play a super power each turn choose one: Draw a card; or +2 Power.
1 VP / Cost

I'd really like to add a uniqueness to these cards ... They'd all still have two choices to pick from, one of which will be 'draw a card', but I want the second one to be what separates it from the cycle. I just can't think of anything ...

~Zuty

atheist4thecause
04-27-2014, 08:08 PM
I actually think Azarath is underpowered. You would probably have to test it, but it seems like an 8 power OA. I also think all the 5 power locations are overpowered, and Nevermore seems way better than Steel city and Tamaran Palace with the same VP's and cost. If you didn't given the locations the versatility you gave them (for instance, only allowing the player to draw a card) then I think that would balance them a little better.