PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Content Idea #3 Sealed Draft

YourOpponent
04-22-2014, 06:04 AM
No Sealed Draft isn't just an opened drink! With that out of the way the idea is that you open 3 or 6 packs like normal when doing a draft, but this is only to choose the cards that you want to keep after the tournament. After the drafting part is done it is like a normal Sealed tournament where you make your wild and crazy ideas with whatever was in the booster packs that you opened.

Pro's: You get more of a choice in the cards that you want to keep due to more packs being opened (24 to 48 depending on the tournament)

You would also be able to stock up for certain cards more easily in case something like an Iron Man dungeon comes out.

Cons: You aren't getting to "keep what you opened" which is what some people seem to like about Sealed.

Scammanator
04-22-2014, 06:37 AM
Additional Con: A large amount of tournament time is devoted to something that does not impact the tournament results.

I think trading is probably the best way to stock up on cards in the way you're describing. Maybe they could put everyone into a trading chat room after limited events, or do something else to encourage that sort of trading.

Thraeg
04-22-2014, 10:24 AM
When I read the thread title, my first thought was of forming a sealed pool by choosing between full packs. So you could see two or three packs' entire contents, but only pick one of those packs to add to your pool, making for interesting decisions between 1-2 bombs with some chaff versus a more even distribution of solid playable cards. Might be hard to do from a UI perspective, but could be a fun variant.

Turtlewing
04-22-2014, 11:43 AM
I don't really get it.

With very few exceptions everyone will pick the rarest card from every pack passed to them. This sounds like a waste of time. Part of what makes draft work is that you are trying to build a viable deck from your picks so you frequently will choose a less rare/valuble card because it's something you can use.

Gwaer
04-22-2014, 11:52 AM
The only tenable way to make something like this work would be after the tournament is completed you could enter an exchange, and trade cards with interested parties from the tournament.

We we used to do a thing where we did draft or sealed, and then at the end put all the cards in a pile and winner got to pick a card, then second place, then third, etc. it caused some problems when someone got a great draft with lots of killer cards, even if they won they were guaranteed to lose some of them and in the end even the people who thought would be happy were not. But if it was entirely voluntary afterwards a people could choose to participate if they wanted, then maybe?

i really think that people who want to keep what they bring should play sealed and people who want to keep what they pick should play draft. =\ but that's just me.