PDA

View Full Version : Oracle/Gatherer

An_Idiot
04-22-2014, 11:01 AM
There was a thread back in june of last year about this. So instead of necromancy, I figured I'd start a new thread on the topic.

Will there be an official Gatherer like site from CZE or will this need to be a fan created and run thing?

Mainly I'd like to see rule interpretations for certain cards, like Daring Swordsman, 3/3 with the text "this card deals double damage". Does that mean that it deals 6 damage once or 3 damage twice? In most cases it doesn't matter, but what if it was inspired to have "whenever this card damages a champion, you may draw a card." Do you draw one or two cards? Knowing things like this ahead of time is important. It's the difference of building a small combo around a card or not putting it in your deck at all.

It would really suck to be playing and lose the game due to a "WTF why didn't this card do what I thought it would"

ossuary
04-22-2014, 11:16 AM
We've had no information on this sort of thing thus far.

That being said, Daring Swordsman only deals damage once. :)

noragar
04-22-2014, 11:29 AM
I agree that something like this would be useful. Maybe this would be something to add to the Wiki that's being discussed in another nearby thread. Some kind of "Card Rulings" section that would include how the game adjudicates any situations/interactions that aren't 100% obvious.

Slish
04-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Maybe this would be something to add to the Wiki that's being discussed in another nearby thread. Some kind of "Card Rulings" section that would include how the game adjudicates any situations/interactions that aren't 100% obvious.

Something like this would for sure be very welcome in the cards section of the wiki! The wikipedia already has a strategy section for each card. Information like this could be easily added there. Remember, everybody can contribute to the wiki!

Zomnivore
04-22-2014, 11:40 AM
I believe it deals 6 damage once.

There are a boatload of really great 3rd party hex sites so I don't see it being a huge thing if cze doesn't do one itself.

Xenavire
04-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Just going to point out that Daring Swordsman has base attack/defence of 2/2. But the doubling is correct, it should go to 6 damage as a 3/X.

An_Idiot
04-22-2014, 12:30 PM
I'd be fine with it in the wiki. And I'd be happy to help keep it updated when I see an ambiguous card. But someone better than me needs to put together some kind of searchable database on the wiki. A single page with 500 cards listed out on it is, shall we say, cumbersome?

Slish
04-22-2014, 12:56 PM
But someone better than me needs to put together some kind of searchable database on the wiki. A single page with 500 cards listed out on it is, shall we say, cumbersome?

Something like this (http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Set_1)?

Although I partially agree with you.. In the end some database site purely for the cards might be better suited for this? Like http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/

An_Idiot
04-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Yeah, more like tcgbrowser in style (although breaking out set one into just the colors helps alot).

I was thinking forward to when we have 10+ sets and you want to make a godly or funny legacy deck to play with your friends and you want a deck full of angels and only angels it would be nice to be able to look that up(or all green creatures with power greater than 7). This may be something the AH can do, but the AH may only show cards that are currently for sale, so you couldn't use it to build a dream deck out of.

hex_colin
04-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah, more like tcgbrowser in style (although breaking out set one into just the colors helps alot).

I was thinking forward to when we have 10+ sets and you want to make a godly or funny legacy deck to play with your friends and you want a deck full of angels and only angels it would be nice to be able to look that up(or all green creatures with power greater than 7). This may be something the AH can do, but the AH may only show cards that are currently for sale, so you couldn't use it to build a dream deck out of.

You'll actually be able to do that in-game in the Card Manager eventually. Allegedly a future version will allow you to search through all cards, whether or not you own them. You'll even be able to buy them directly from the AH too. So you could search for "Angel", pull all the ones you own into your "Angels are Awesome!!!" deck, and then very quickly purchase the ones you don't, all without ever having left Card Manager. If you don't own them, and can't find them in the AH, you can hit up chat to find someone to sell/trade you them.

Xenavire
04-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Allegedly a future version will allow you to search through all cards, whether or not you own them.

That was actually live a while ago, but incomplete and a little buggy. But the functionality is there. Or was, as the feature has been removed from the new UI as far as I am aware.

I think that will be an awesome feature when it is fully polished though.

Yoss
04-22-2014, 01:31 PM
If you don't own them, and can't find them in the AH, you can hit up chat to find someone to sell/trade you them.

I'm still hoping that Chark figures out a way to post Demand information on the AH in addition to Supply. In other words, if something you want isn't listed, you should be able to make an AH listing to request that thing.

It would also then enable a Sell Now feature for impatient liquidators.

hex_colin
04-22-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm still hoping that Chark figures out a way to post Demand information on the AH in addition to Supply. In other words, if something you want isn't listed, you should be able to make an AH listing to request that thing.

It would also then enable a Sell Now feature for impatient liquidators.

Agreed - that would be awesome! WTB / WTS / WTT AH modes.

mudkip
04-22-2014, 01:46 PM

TIL!

I would be happy with a community run database like wowhead where you can comment and upvote good comments.

Patrigan
04-22-2014, 01:48 PM

The idea here would be that the wiki eventually works with subpages. For example, the human page already works like that.
http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Human
Eventually we want to also split that list up, like the Shards of Fate set list. (The Shards of Fate page was the test for the tabs functionality). We're also working on several approaches to speed up the loading speed. Once we fix all that, we're gonna start implementing these changes on the racial pages.

The step after that is to start creating pages for subtypes, for example an Angel page would be created, which details a it about the lore of the angels and then ends with a list of all angel cards. However, there's obviously still some work to get to that point.

The long term future will have you capable of filling in a form that will fetch you a list of all applicable cards. This, however, is development outside of the wiki and is therefore not something that can be done in 1-2-3.

Now, I personally believe the wiki is not primarily meant as a searchable database for deckbuilding. The ingame deckbuilder will be more suited for that purpose. The wiki will be an encyclopedia on the information that the deckbuilder and the popular DB sites don't show you. The information that in other cases would force you to scavenge all the fansites. At first things like rulings, erratas, version changes. But even more important will be all the strategy information: synergies, counters, general information.

Slish
04-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Now, I personally believe the wiki is not primarily meant as a searchable database for deckbuilding. The ingame deckbuilder will be more suited for that purpose. The wiki will be an encyclopedia on the information that the deckbuilder and the popular DB sites don't show you. The information that in other cases would force you to scavenge all the fansites. At first things like rulings, erratas, version changes. But even more important will be all the strategy information: synergies, counters, general information.

What about esports, information on major tournaments etc? I think a wiki would be perfect for such kind of information. Leaguepedia (http://lol.gamepedia.com/Main_Page) is a good example of that!

primer
04-22-2014, 02:36 PM

I always wondered why it isn't just a 4/2 then? Will there be a reason for the differentiation between dealing 4 dmg or 2x2 dmg at once in future sets or something? or is there something I'm missing in this set?

knightofeffect
04-22-2014, 02:42 PM
I always wondered why it isn't just a 4/2 then? Will there be a reason for the differentiation between dealing 4 dmg or 2x2 dmg at once in future sets or something? or is there something I'm missing in this set?

Boosts become amplified. A +1/+0 boost now does two more damage instead of one.

primer
04-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Ah that's pretty nice. Thanks.

Patrigan
04-22-2014, 09:05 PM
What about esports, information on major tournaments etc? I think a wiki would be perfect for such kind of information. Leaguepedia (http://lol.gamepedia.com/Main_Page) is a good example of that!

I was talking primarily about how the wiki should catalogue cards. Of course, the wiki is so so much more than that!