PDA

View Full Version : Giveaway to Commemorate My 1000th Post!

hex_colin
04-22-2014, 05:09 PM
*** GIVEAWAY OVER - RESULTS BELOW ***

To commemorate my 1000th post (this one!), and the end of Alpha...

Post your favorite moment from Hex's Alpha in this thread. One post per person. At midnight PDT on Saturday (April 27th) I'll choose my favorite. Winner gets 100 Set 1 Booster Packs!

Go!

Thank you all for the posting your memories of Alpha - it's definitely been an incredible ride so far!

As expected, I had a hard time deciding on a winner. So, true to almost every time I do something like this, I chose more than 1 winner - one grand prize (100 boosters as promised) and 2 runners-up (25 boosters each).

I'm a sucker for "Heart of the Cards" moments so you'll see those represented in the winners. On top of that, I love a good movie quote...

OK, the winners:

Grand Prize - 100 Set 1 Boosters - AdamAoE2 - "Release the Kraken!"
Runner Up - 25 Set 1 Boosters - Ravenclaw - "Wait, why are you casting Ragefire on your own troop?"
Runner Up - 25 Set 1 Boosters - dogmod - "Cory Prevails"

Congratulations to all the winners! And, thank you to everyone who's helping make Hex an incredible game!

hacky
04-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Playing in the Tournament of Streamers II, on stream against JoltEnergy.

Getting absolutely shard-starved in the first turns of the game, not giving up in the face of an almost assured loss, and somehow coming back and winning. Live in front of you guys, the HEX community. :D

You can even watch it here: http://www.twitch.tv/hackychannel/c/3354919

I'm looking forward to more moments like this and more, going into Closed Beta and beyond!

shizuyami
04-22-2014, 05:17 PM
That would definitely be winning my first draft! I never drafted before hex in any game, so when I placed first after 3 tries I was so happy, my roof needs to be fixed >.>

Gwaer
04-22-2014, 05:18 PM
April 27th is my birthday...

cavench
04-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Winning 100 set 1 booster packs will definitely be my favorite moment.

fido_one
04-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Colin,

It's super awesome that you do this stuff!

Eh, it's hard to pick a singular moment in Alpha, I was/am most impressed by the steady improvements to the client over the past months. I hope Hex is as successful as the fans hope it to be, lord knows the CZE staff deserve a massive payoff given the families they must be shirking to get this finished...

(As much as I want more boosters, keep me out of the drawing, I'm lucky to have enough boosters that my fingers are crossed they go to a slacker backer or what-have-you...)

bojanglesz
04-22-2014, 05:33 PM
The pack opening video was unveiled and I laid eyes on Kismet's titties. Knew this was the game for me.

Mejis
04-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi Colin, very generous of you :)

My favourite moment was when draft was introduced. I'd never played draft before and only had a rudimentary understanding of the process. Being able to play in HEX drafts during alpha has been a fantastic learning curve for me and so, so much fun.

YourOpponent
04-22-2014, 05:56 PM
My favorite moment that hasn't already been mentioned was when the Cryptozoic employees had the first stress test for tournaments. It was great to see so many CZE staff on at the same time and participating in tournaments. Sure things were so packed that you couldn't really do tournaments, but it is a moment that captures the awesomeness of the community as a whole.

Also it might be a good idea to add a rule that you can't edit your "favorite moment" post...just to make the judging easier and less hectic without somebody saying "I posted that first and only edited later because of a typo" as an example.

Kubira
04-22-2014, 06:12 PM
I was playing a Wild/Diamond deck against a pure Diamond deck that had Dimmid as champion. My opponent got off an early Paladin, a couple of scriveners and two Pawns. That paladin eventually reached 70/70. I stayed alive by attacking over the top with a Battle Beetle armed with the Rhino gem. I would fly, hit him for 5 and create a Rhino to chump block on the next turn. With Dimmid's lifedrain and the original Eternal Youth, his health went over 500.

At some point while chump blocking, I drew an Ozawa. After 20+ rounds, I finally pulled a Repel and killed the paladin. Since I was in Wild, I gave Ozawa Wild Aura and was able to chop his health down and thin his board at the same time. After a shift of several hundred hit points, he conceded.

primer
04-22-2014, 06:24 PM
The answer to this question is simple. One little line from an update.

"Hi HEXers. We just released patch v826 into the wild. While those three little numbers may not communicate much, these five letters do: D-R-A-F-T!"

It's kinda like how everyone who was alive at the time knows where they were for the moon landing... This was our moon landing :p

Lawlschool
04-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Favorite Alpha Moment is hands down playing my first game. After months and months of hype and following all things Hex religiously (which kept me somewhat sane while studying for the bar), finally being able to log in when they gave the "All-In" and play some games and test all the decks I'd theory-crafted was phenomenally spectacular.

Don't remember too much detail about the first game (I guess you do forget your first), but it was probably the shin'hare starter and it was definitely fantastic.

jimmywolf
04-22-2014, 06:31 PM
My favorite moment that hasn't already been mentioned was when the Cryptozoic employees had the first stress test for tournaments. It was great to see so many CZE staff on at the same time and participating in tournaments. Sure things were so packed that you couldn't really do tournaments, but it is a moment that captures the awesomeness of the community as a whole.

Also it might be a good idea to add a rule that you can't edit your "favorite moment" post...just to make the judging easier and less hectic without somebody saying "I posted that first and only edited later because of a typo" as an example.

it will show time of edit so doubt that be a big issue, unless their neck an neck on time of posting. even then the odds they both post the same thing the same way is pretty low. or if someone edit their post to try win favor it would be easy to spot

long story short doubt it a issue an enjoy the contest.

Xenavire
04-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Considering my Johnny nature, my favourite moment actually came with the last patch, when a certain Replica interaction was fixed.

Nothing has been as satisfying as it has been, waiting weeks, even months, just to see the payoff for my ingenuity. The moment I drew that gambited War Machinist, I had the doubt running through my head. "Will this be the week?" Each patch had gone by with the answer being no, so I was fairly anxious.

Then I payed that one resource, and all the stars aligned, as that little army of machinists hit the AI for 42 damage, all in one big blast.

I doubt anything will ever be as satisfying as that.

Zomnivore
04-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Talking in chat with all the first wave folks, and playing with Cory, and other CZE staff, really was great.

Experiencing just how rough the games start was, and the transition to now really puts things into perspective.

I've really enjoyed watching all the streamers and talking to them, and creating a bit of that loose network. Its really nice to have some more access to people like Jatta and other very hardcore streamers.

Really enjoyed having my butt handed to me in the hextcgpro tournament, was my first real Hex tournament, and had a great time experiencing the hex streamer's experiences and rooting for them too.

So... maybe the Hextcgpro challonge tournament ranks as my favorite experience in hex, because it combined a lot of community support, and engaged me as a participant and as a viewer of a good community of streamers.

Yoss
04-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Visit to CZE Game Night April 16th was by far my favorite, though it's obviously not an in-client experience. Chatting with you (Colin) and Ben after Dan went home was great fun.

Ali3nSan
04-22-2014, 06:50 PM
My favourite moment was seeing my friends list light up green when they online and making new friends. Even losing way to often it has been the greatest community ever!

Met some awesome people and expect the relationships forged in alpha to only grow through beta and beyond!

Great comp btw just further proves the awesomeness of the player base!

arastor
04-22-2014, 06:55 PM
For me? Logging into alpha for the first time. Suddenly, Hex was REAL!
I totally did not laugh maniacally and shout, "It's alive! It's aliiiive!" Nope. Not at all.
(Well, maybe a little)

juggernaut
04-22-2014, 07:04 PM
My favorite moment was opening the first pack of the first draft I was in. I love the draft experience, and seeing those cards brought great joy!

Aradon
04-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Favorite experience also was the first attempt at the CZE Employee draft tournament. Seeing everyone mill around and chat in the lobby and getting to hear word from the employees directly was fun and exciting, even if the tournaments didn't really work correctly.

If that one was already taken, my next favorite thing has been Cory's blog. That's a lot of value right there :)

AdamAoE2
04-22-2014, 08:11 PM
I have had several draft fun and epic draft experiences, but none stick out to me more then this one:

I'm playing against Heelow in game 3 of a draft finals, who is running a pretty solid Wild/Blood Shin'hare deck. I have battled my way against him down to 6 life, but I am running out of steam. He has two concubunnies which are generating shin'hare every turn and I can't get any damage through anymore. He plays an evolve and things look terribly grim. He has at least ten Battle Hoppers on the field along with several other pieces, and will likely overrun me next turn.

I draw my final card for my turn....

LINK: My Final Turn... (http://i.imgur.com/8C9vniP.jpg)

It's The Kraken!!!

Suddenly, my previously empty board instantly fills up with Tentacles, nearly 1 for 1 with each of his battle hoppers.

Without missing a beat, I shout out "UNLEASH THE KRAAKEN!" into chat, much to Heelow's dismay. There is over half my library left, and I draw the one possible card that can save me in the most dramatic fashion possible. I proceed to win in two turns by exhausting all of his hoppers with tentacles and bashing him in the face with the Kraken itself.

This will far and away be my favorite moment from the Hex Alpha.

GrinningBuddha
04-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Colin, you are a boon to this community.

My favorite moment from the Alpha has to be Alan's Crazy Bug thread. I have never been involved in an alpha or beta where we have had such direct access to the devs like we have here. The bug spreadsheet is good, but to be able to talk to a dev and present bugs and have them fixed almost immediately really makes you feel like you're contributing to the development process. I'm sad the thread is gone now but it goes to show that the Hex team really cares about their customers and values their input. Between that and Cory's blog posts, it gives me great confidence that Hex is going to be the game we all want it to be.

I do, however, reserve the right to vote for 'bear fight' assuming it ever takes place.

dwebber88
04-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Good stuff!

Being here on the forums, playing alpha and soon beta, seeing how the game evolves, all so cool.

That movie tho -> https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/443855/video-240049-h264_high.mp4

Many times i think back to how Cory presented himself with his idea of HEX. And look how far CZE, the community and the game has gotten :) While everything in relation with hex is awesome, i submit this as my favorite :) Its fun to watch back now!

Cheers!

Idus
04-22-2014, 08:30 PM
My favourite moment in the Alpha is today, because I know all the months of testing have paid off, and from tomorrow, everything we do will be for real.

jtatta
04-22-2014, 08:35 PM
My favorite moment was playing in the community run events and then eventually taking over and running them. It's a real blessing.

Chadatog
04-22-2014, 08:51 PM
The best moment had to be the first night of being able to draft. It's been so long since I've been able to really draft a set of cards. I think the last time I had done it was back when Mirrodin block was out. Soon after that came marriage and kids which has left me with little time to play in FNM and release events, and forget about all weekend PTQ's and Grand Prix.

FlyingMeatchip
04-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Seeing the Twitch streams grow in popularity while advertising Hex and how the streamers handle trolls. Mythicfishmom had me rolling today.

knightofeffect
04-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Probably my favorite moment was John stomping Cory into the ground 3 consecutive games with different decks on a twitch stream to which you could see Cory getting TCG-player-level-of-frustrated. It was awesome because it showed that this game was being made by people that are hardcore TCG players like ourselves and are passionate about playing the game the love making.

Patrigan
04-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Heh, that brings me back to my 1000, wasn't during Hex that one.

As for my Favourite Alpha Moment? The first time I booted it up, a sense of accomplishment "I backed this". It felt good.

I think I'm going to have that feeling ago tomorrow, after I boot beta. So looking forward to it ^^

chili
04-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Favorite moment, when I won the second HEX TCG open series.

ursa23
04-22-2014, 10:14 PM
For me, it was when the first meta revolved around the Fist ramp. Why is that special to me? Because I used the preview cards to create just such a deck before Alpha launched. It made me feel that I was perhaps not out of my depth as much as I feared after almost 20 years away from TCGs. I often feel I suck at strategy, so this was a big moment for me.

Ertzi
04-22-2014, 10:21 PM
I can clearly remember my favorite moment. It was right at the beginning of Alpha. I had been waiting for this game for my entire life (I would have honestly designed a pretty similar game myself, had I any skill in that field), so I was full of dread in the beginning, because I wanted HEX to succeed so desperately.

So here I was, playing this buggy, glitchy early Alpha version, and I was still enjoying myself. Then I came across Replicator's Gambit (I think it was this card, might have been some Escalation effect as well, but this moment happened at some point anyway), as in I resolved it for the first time. I clearly remember seeing the 6 copies appearing on the table. That's when it truly hit me. I just stared at the screen, unblinking, letting the realization wash over me.

This game was going to be HUGE.

So my favorite moment is when I truly understood the scope of possibilities and uniqueness of HEX. No game would be even close to the craziness and variety. I had never been as glad to have supported a game in my life. I probably had a stupid grin on my face as well, just for being able to be a part of it all.

This feeling has only intensified in recent weeks, and I am frothing at the mouth to play. I have had many great moments after it, but nothing quite compares to the validation of all my hopes and dreams :)

DRawsm
04-22-2014, 10:31 PM
the mac client coming out so i could finally play hex ;-;! i'm incompetent with my mac so i didn't get any of the work arounds and finally getting to play it and build a deck (or 10) was a blast and lived up to hyped expectations. its not done rolling yet either so i cant wait for the finished product!!

syphonhail
04-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Whatever you do, do not give the prize to me.

My favorite: mulling down to 5 in game 2 of the March HexTCGPro series, but still drawing perfectly to win the game.

saffamike
04-22-2014, 10:49 PM
My favourite moment had to be playing against Cory :)

Cernz
04-22-2014, 10:50 PM
my favorite alpha moment...

it was when I realized that hex is exactly the game I have been waited for years,
not only because I was always a fan of turn based strategy games, but mainly because
the comunity is so great.

were whether the same questions been asked a hundred times, it will always answered politely
and helpful anyway, so I am also convinced that hex will be a success. Without this great comunity
hex would just be a (online) tcg, but in combination with cory and the other developers, it can be, as already
mentioned in the blog the one and only (online) tcg, which is played until the universe collapses upon Itself ;)

Looking forward to the next great steps HEX will make in the future.

non0ns3nse
04-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Very generous of you ;)
and about my favorite moment... I don't really know, I had alot of them, and everyone of them seemed to trump the previous one: Hex is such an awesome game as it is now, I can't wait to see how it will look in a couple of years from now.

BUT since I have to pick something, then take a look at this screenshot: (http://postimg.org/image/58a6lrdxd/full/)
it was a random match in the proving grounds, something like that could have never happened in any other paper tcg and I really don't have to explain what a crazy game that was (take a look at my opponents field, deck and graveyard), I won't add anything else... just look at the picture :D

hammer
04-22-2014, 11:04 PM
First week of alpha, third game and I was already deep into testing the limits of maximum health with a fun Demented Demolisher, Eternal Youth. I gained a gazillion life and was on a legal high(! man this stuff was good...) I was recurring and recurring andHex stood strong. From that moment I was in love and hooked. I have so many good memories along the way, I am glad I took screenshoots of the key moments, I have never witnessed an alpha so engaging. Tomorrow the next journey starts and I am READY :D
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/eternal_H/stoopidlife.jpg (http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/eternal_H/media/stoopidlife.jpg.html)

meetthefuture
04-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Soldack's Tournament of Streamers 2, my first Hex tourney game ever, I'm playing against Kroan, going 1-0 already and having fatal on my board. My turn starts, I click through to my attack phase, and then realise I have Unmerciful Tormentor on my board... It ended up being 1-2 for Kroan :)

SilverDirewolf
04-22-2014, 11:39 PM
Has to be the first game I played when I got into the Alpha. As soon as I could get on, I threw together a (presumably crappy) shin' hare deck, and end up still have a blast.

So excited to play today!

Kroan
04-22-2014, 11:54 PM
My favourite moment in Alpha is by the far the first day of alpha. Not only got I an invite super early, I was also able to stream and share the first steps of alpha with almost 250 people (hey-yo) and that was super fun!

Soldack's Tournament of Streamers 2, my first Hex tourney game ever, I'm playing against Kroan, going 1-0 already and having fatal on my board. My turn starts, I click through to my attack phase, and then realise I have Unmerciful Tormentor on my board... It ended up being 1-2 for Kroan Hah! I remember that :P

Voormas
04-23-2014, 12:01 AM
First day I logged into Alpha, getting into the Deck Manager and putting together a Pack Raptor / Ancestors Chosen / Feather Drifting Downriver deck which I dubbed Dino-riders! It wasn't very good, but it was still great!

DuroNL
04-23-2014, 12:10 AM
My favourite moment, well it has got to be opening my 30th booster in the boob cube, and lo and behold it unveiled my first ever primal pack 😮 i was so happy i cried for a few minutes, all them rares and legendaries!!

Absolutely wonderfull, favourite for ever booster opening!!

Regards, Duro

GhundiPI
04-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Great idea and very generous of you Colin!

For me it is something very simple actually. With years upon years of playing cardgames, it was the promise of Hex to make use of the digital space which drew me to the Kickstarter. Seeing that promise becoming reality, even in still simple mechanics like Escalation or Cosmic Transmogrifier, was the beta moment for me. From that point onward I knew the Kickstarter promise was becoming reality and that Hex will become great.

Rapkannibale
04-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Moments like this is show how awesome this community already is. :)

My favorite moment was when my wife saw me playing and just gave my a big eye roll (as she usually does when I play video games) but then my oldest daughter (she just turned 5) saw the cards and said: "I want to play that!". I am so proud of my little gamer-in-the-making-girl. :)

BlackRoger
04-23-2014, 03:43 AM
The one moment I will always remember is one of my first sealed games, where the deck submission was bugged and I ended up with my entire pool submitted as my deck.
Then I somehow managed to win my first game! mostly thanks to my opponent keeping a bad hand and being shard starved.

Also don't give me any packs please got too many as is.

eimerian
04-23-2014, 03:48 AM
My favorite moment was almost winning this game.
Too bad countermagic was bugged back in novemeber...

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1426695_10202496514603023_321156391_n.jpg

GPrime
04-23-2014, 04:03 AM
I may be a little biased, but the crazy see-saw finish for the HexTechs Tri-Force Championship (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=32282) was my favourite moment by far. Karn swept day 1 for HexTechs vs The Hex Engine, while Future did the same for Mythic's Heroes vs The Triumvirate. In the finals the next day, Future took out both Karn and Havoc, then PhoenixForge proceeded to beat Future, JCrawl, and myself one by one. As our "fourth man" we brought Future back to give it another shot, then he beat PhoenixForge and Karn a second time to win it for Mythic's Heroes.

And what happened then? Well, in Alpha they say -- that Future's shoulders grew two sizes that day.

Round 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu6gpT8qZh8
Finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubinfAfVd3g

havocattack
04-23-2014, 04:12 AM
My favorite moment before the alpha started was definitely finding the kickstarter page. I'm sure if someone was watching me as I soaked up all the info, my eyes must have been lit up like a thousand suns ;)

As for during the alpha, my favorite moment(s) has been streaming hex, sharing it with everyone and in the process making many new friends. Love you all :P :D

ExInferis
04-23-2014, 04:25 AM
I don't have a specific game or point in time as a favourite moment. I've been reminded over and over by how committed and helpful the community around Hex is. So many enthusiasts spending hours in the forums to help newcomers and answering the same questions for the hundredth time.

Cryptozoic has been very up-front and have offered an surrounding where this is possible but I strongly believe that the driving force of the community have lifted this alpha above and beyond what I dared to dream.

I'm normally a forum browser that rarely post something so with this I thank you all who during the alpha have answered all my questions and put all my fears to rest.

//Blackhand

LNQ
04-23-2014, 04:38 AM
Watching the coin flip animation for the first time on my computer, with my first ever Hex deck, waiting to see who goes first and waiting to cast my first ever spell in Hex. That feeling of playing Hex for real for the first time made it my favourite moment of alpha.

My favourite moment of beta will be opening my first ever Hex booster pack and to watch which the first ever 15 cards of my collection will be.

Gary3k
04-23-2014, 05:28 AM
Real talk, my favorite moment was when I had 3 cerebral fulminations and 3 secret labs in play while playing my pack raptor deck. The deck had gotten up to well over 100 cards in it, and only about 20 of them WERENT pack raptors.

It was so awesome.

So many pack raptors.

Soldack
04-23-2014, 05:56 AM
By pioneering the Streamers Tournaments, early in Alpha, I promoted HEX and our streamers by organizing and pouring hours into running and casting this great game and these great people that promote it. I could say all the moments of running and casting the tournaments were great, but it was actually a single moment, very early in Alpha, that motivated me to start the tournament series.

InfamousNeo was about to lose a game he was streaming. He ended his turn, fairly hopeless that he had lost. His opponent only had to attack to win and Neo couldn't stop it. What his opponent couldn't stop was top decking a booby trap that killed him instantly - winning the game for Neo. Casting it, I kinda of overreacted, but it was that exciting a moment.

The video is here.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpobRO8W9QE

EDIT: I just thought of this also, booby traps show how easy it is in an online digital card game to do things paper card games can not easily, if at all, do.... :)

ossuary
04-23-2014, 06:30 AM
My favorite moment from the alpha was being online within about 3 minutes of the servers coming back up when Draft was released, getting straight into one of the very first ever 8 man drafts, and winning it with a super fun Shin'Hare deck. That was probably the most fun draft night I've had in 10 years. :)

bofedy
04-23-2014, 06:44 AM
So meny things made alpha good its hard to pick just one thing theres the great community as in streamers and HTP challange/ personal achvments with matches and also my guild to pick just one thing is unrealistic for me how do i choose between first entering my guild and all of us playing magic worksataion with 150 cards and doing mini tournament while on ts and just hanging around twich with meny of the streamers going in to there draft and goofing around with them while geting to know people. For me theres no one moment but the start of alpha when every one was making freinds and guilds and doing projects like HEXdatabase and magicworksation is were the magic of HEX was for me :)

Haha for once i think have writen down my feelings well.

Zarien
04-23-2014, 07:13 AM
Man, 1000 already? I remember when you had none and you started with the thread to let us know all of the new HEX info at the convention. Time has flown. Thanks for being such an active member and contributor of the community!

My favorite HEX alpha moment is getting to play against Corey. It still blows my mind how active and nice the developers of HEX are. In he future, when this game explodes in popularity, I'll always be able to say I played with Corey and the rest of the CZE staff and talk about how awesome they are, and I treasure that.

Sergan
04-23-2014, 07:17 AM
thanks colin for this really good thread..
(btw.. im out.. im very happy with my booster, give to another player, in here only to participate in this nice thread)

My moment is the countdown for alfa in the forum.. is like someone buy a booster from new expansion and all store expectant what coming inside.

Lyckan
04-23-2014, 07:18 AM
My favorite moment is all of the free drafts!
It have been such a great experience, drafting is by far the best way to play card games in my opinion and having a chance to do it for free during the alpha and later being able to do it without having a waredrobe with cards I will never use. (Like it was in Magic). Now I am looking forwards to drafting and PvEing and becoming the best crafter in Hex!
(Also my first post:))

wolzarg
04-23-2014, 07:48 AM
Opponent is Blood/ruby burnout control. I'm playing Blood/Diamond control and have stolen most of his cards with Inquisition but that also means i know he has a Ragefire in hand. He plays Chimes of the Zodiac. I know i used up all my removal for it already and sigh deeply pressing escape. Then just as i am about to hit the yes i realize i got a single Inquisition left in the deck. "The odds are slim to none but it couldn't hurt to try" i think to my self and then i pull it and win.

It made my day.

Scammanator
04-23-2014, 08:11 AM
My favorite moment was when I started talking to my opponents in combat chat, and found all of them to be more pleasant, friendly, and helpful than the players in any other online game I have ever played. Hex has a truly amazing community. I can't wait for when raids are available and I can start fighting alongside my new-found friends to take down the biggest baddies on Entrath.

Ertzi
04-23-2014, 08:13 AM
I don't even care who wins anymore, this is an awesome thread :cool:

Very cool to read about all the incredible moments people have already had in HEX.

Ravenclaw
04-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Amazing Idea! :)

I had so many funny moments in the alpha, but one moment that happend last night was legandary.

I was playing with my Raptor Deck and my opponent had a 42/42 Lightning Armada and attacks, I blocked with my Bird o' Plenty and then i had 43 cards in my hand... so many Raptors in my hand, so many possibilities i thought, still 2 Cards in the Deck, yes i will win this game... and the he playerd a ragefire on his own Bird o Plenty, he had twisted fate out, so, i had to mulligan two cards... i only thoght http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ :D it was sad and amazing and unforgettable funny. ^^

I wish you guys all luck and so much fund with this game. :)

See you all soon ingame.

BETA is coming. ;)

Disordia
04-23-2014, 09:04 AM
My favorite moment would have to be winning the first HexTCGPro Challenge Series tournament in January. Xentoth's Inquisitor too strong.

purple-one
04-23-2014, 10:01 AM
Thank you Colin for this great opportunity and showing how great the Hex community is!

So my favorite moment was when I finally found out why I had a "missing portrait" message with every card in the Deckbuilder, but nowhere else. I found the issue and the solution, which I reported to CZE, and was solved a few patches later. In a small way I was proud to add my contribution to Hex and make it a great game!

kujiko
04-23-2014, 10:06 AM
My favorite moments of the alpha have been making new friends and playing draft. Joining the HTP guild has been fun as well. Getting a chance to play with some cool people in fun tournaments. I have been able to capture that card gaming feeling of my youth. Shout outs to Fliperon, Flyingmeatchip, and Gprime.

Put me in Coach! Link to Fliperons Stream.
http://www.twitch.tv/coachfliperon

Fun with Bunny's and GPrime.
http://www.twitch.tv/gprimetv/b/501805840

Ebynfel
04-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Honestly, my favorite moment came with the Extra Life charity streaming event. I wasn't a streamer, but I camped out in HandsofEvil's stream for about 18 of his 24 hours for the event. It was an amazing time to be had by all. A few people had donated prizes to raffle to those that donated. I think he had somewhere around $500 or so gathered, and I spoke up. This stream gets to $750, someone wins a Gax, the Sly Roller from Gencon. Boom. People started popping in like crazy. We hit the $750 or so, and I'm like, man. We need to go bigger. Infamous Neo pops in and I toss up another gencon exclusive in the form of an alternate art Ozawa. We have to hit $1500 for the kids for it to go. Next thing I know, Neo says"Okay, we hit 1500 and somebody gets a Lotus Garden when we get them in game" It didn't take long after that. That stream of Hands' ended up pulling in over $1600 for his local Children's Hospital, and it was an amazing, truly fun experience. And a whole lot of people from the Hex community decided to give to the larger community and do something to help the kids. It was truly epic to be part of.

Number two would be the Murder, Inc art contest. Yeah, I won it, but it wasn't just that. I am a fan of art and love to create it. And seeing Hex fans come out of the woodwork with some inspirational pieces was magnificent. It doesn't quite compare to the feeling of giving and being a part of the Extra Life, but it's the closest second I have, and it was great fun to be a part of as well.

Norious
04-23-2014, 10:23 AM
If Mythic doesn't claim this I want to put my hat in watching Mythic win a draft with Trial of Faith. A good second place is playing Cosmic Transmogrifier

Sullemunk
04-23-2014, 10:39 AM
The thrill and excitement after downloading and launching the hex client for the first time.

Dralon
04-23-2014, 10:54 AM
A great idea from one of the greatest supporters Hex could have!

For me my fondest memory was of creating a discard deck, that I was basically just playing against the AI, seeing if I could get it to go off, unsuccessfully. Between AI matches I received a random challenge, and thought, "Sure, I'll try it", fully expecting to get crushed. I felt bad for my opponent as his anger ratcheted up when I drew perfectly into I believe all 4 of my Chronic Madness cards, and got my first PVP win via decking him.

Winning my first draft tournament last night, the final night of alpha, comes in a close 2nd.

MythicFishmom
04-23-2014, 11:09 AM
The community on twitch throughout alpha is by far my favorite part of Alpha. It's been amazing!

Indormi
04-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Playing highlander deck against Cirouss. Im at 11 health, he plays his one of castigator, I topdeck...Argus...with inmortaly in hand.

Kurasa
04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
This is an amazing thread! It's great to see all the amazing moments people have had, and the general awesomeness of the community. Really makes me look forward to Beta and beyond that much more.

My favorite moment was playing my first ever draft. Did about as well as you'd expect from a first-time drafter, but had tons of fun.

wigglez721
04-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Probably last night after not streaming HEX since the first week of alpha. Played a 3 arena drafts. Did horribly until my last one which I was able to pull a first place overall. Had a decent amount of viewers in the stream and it was just a very chill and relaxing night to hang out with other people who were very excited about the release of closed beta tonight. It really wasn't many viewers, but what made it memorable was the light hearted conversation about just random things in the channel and being able to laugh and smile about it all.

DanTheMeek
04-23-2014, 12:52 PM
I could pick the day I finally saved up enough for a slacker backer to give as a gift to a friend, game was awesome but became so much more awesome when I had a friend to play it with. I've also had various amazing drafts, and was really happen when I had 3-0 stretch in a challenge series with a shin'hare deck, but as dumb and prideful as it may be, I think my best experience was, after like a week of making posts that kept getting pretty much unamiously shot down as bad ideas by the forum, including one asking for a buff to shin'hare, and then one specifically narrowing down my goal to just getting a buff for Concubunny, in which there was like one guy who seemed to even kind of agree with me, CZE not only buffed the shin'hare a bit, but specifically reduced the cost on Concubunny just as I'd asked in the thread! I know its unlikely they made that change because of me or that thread, probably something they were considering well before that, but it still felt like my opinion had actually mattered and changed the course of Hex and that was really REALLY amazing. As I've posted in other threads, I continue to struggle to get upset about any other balance issues in the game simply because of how elated I remain over the Concubunny buff, and I ran 4 of her in that afforementioned shin'hare deck that won 3 consecutive matches in the challenge series.

But echo'ing everyone else, this is really AWESOME that Hex_Colin is doing this and just shows again why this community is so great and why I'm so proud to be a part of it, even if a lot of times my opinions are less then well recieved by it lol.

Empyrium
04-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Collin, you are an asset to this community, thanks for doing this.

My first favorite moment was when I was able to get a couple grand king pledges, after they were all gone.

But my official favorite moment was when I realized that my wife was as hooked to the game as I was (Having bought two Grand King pledges, it brought great joy to my heart).

Can't wait to do some Sunday morning drafting tournaments with her, while sipping coffee, comfortably set on the couch with both our tablets in hands.

Hexgo
04-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Hey!

I didn’t have a favourite alpha-moment in particular. I mean, sure, there were some crazy game experiences and “wow this looks awesome”- and “omg draft!!!!” moments.

But my favourite thing was the game bringing me in contact with the alpha-community. It was so fun to join in with all the streamers. For example going to Vince’s channel, listen to nice music while following very well explained games, or hop in havocs stream who is so an amazingly cheerful person.

And there are people doing so much awesome stuff for us like the whole hextcgpro.com team and Colin who are like the protective and generous uncle of Hex or Shadowelf of whom no one knows exactly if he is a real person or a digital info database. And there are many, many more (omg did you read Soldacks poem (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34685)? You see what i mean!? He should get the packs!). But I also loved the people who weren’t only supportive but sceptical which lead to a lot of interesting discussions on the forum.

However I think it is safe to say, that the most awesome thing was the speak with the people from all over the globe while playing a casual game, chatting about where we come from and our jobs and of course Hex!

So..merry Hex day! :-)

KamaitachiTrey
04-23-2014, 02:29 PM
April 27th is my birthday...

Hahaha, April 27'th is my birthday too! Happy early birthday.

My favorite moment in Hex Alpha, let me think...

I'd have to say after Drafts came out, one of the first drafts I decided to try building a Shin'hare deck (because why not, I like the ruthless little buggers). I ended up going green shin'hares (and misc. other things) and blue for flying and backup actions!

I ended up pulling a Cosmic Transmogrifier (5 cost constant, pay 3 and transform everything into a random same type thing with the same cost) and ended up failing miserably my first round - but the second round, after getting a flood of the little 0/1 battle hoppers and having no way to buff them, I drew the Transmogrifier!

I used it, and ended up turning the whole thing around with a swarm of really scary 1 cost orcs and critters like pack raptors! Hahaha, it was a blast. I ended up losing, but I didn't care, I got to have some fun creating chaos. Was a blast.

Really, I haven't had an unhappy moment. Even when things got buggy, I still enjoyed doing everything on here. I can't wait for closed beta though, so many packs to open and drafts to play, and PvE! Woot!

Myrgard
04-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Hi,

My favourite moment was when i came to this foruns and discovered such a wonderfull(and mature) community, easily find a guild thats full of interesting and helpfull people all that revolving around a game that i only dreamed could come true,

Then i come here today looking for news about the beta and i see a post from one user that is offering 100 packs in rejoice of is 1000 post, not criptozoic not an official contest just Colin celebrating and wanting to share with people here, and i see why i believe there is no chance this game can fail.

I couldnt enter the kickstarter because i missed it, couldnt but my king tier in secondary market because the only one i found was 400$, but im glad to have a chance at the boosters so thanks Collin and to the winner im certain it will be someone who deserves it.

wutae
04-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Colin we all know what was the favorite time in Alpha ! It was the time we all received an email saying : Welcome to Hex: Alpha you can now download the alpha client, because that was when the "Dream started".

dogmod
04-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Colin you are awesome.

My favorite moment in Hex came against none other than the man himself. Cory Jones. It was the week that Alpha came out and the CZE guys seemed to be always on. I would sometimes sit in the proving grounds just to try to snipe a game against of them. There was something special about getting to play the game against the people that had been and were creating it.

So one time I see that Cory has jumped on and I immediately went to challenge him. Fail, he joined another game. I waited for a second chance and as soon as I saw him pop out of the first game I immediately challenged and was too slow again! Finally, on the third try, as he popped out I quickly clicked the challenge button and, great gloriousness, a game began.

I was using a pretty crappy deck with living totem at the center. I got my living totem out and was sitting there thinking: “YES I WILL BEAT THE MAN HIMSELF… And before the killing blow I am going to say: Thanks for building this game… BLAHAHA” And I was so close.

He was running a deck comprised of life gain, draw, and the immortal spear. I went up to an early lead with a quick totem. Unfortunately, I was then stifled by a Lixil before I went flying with my totem just to be innerconflicted. Needless to say my deck stalled out right before I was able to put the finishing touches on my dream game.

All the while Cory Jones was building up an army of spears behind his impenetrable blockade of Lixil. When he had 4 spears out and I had lost all hope of getting through I asked him, “Living the dream eh?”

“:)” Was all I got in reply.

It was truly a special experience watching the man who invented the game, who dreamed of the game, who spent years upon years of effort into realizing the game not only playing that very same game but seeing him live the dream within the dream.

I think that has been the best part of Alpha. Not only do I get to play a game that I never knew I wanted. I get to play the game that Cory always knew he wanted. I get to be a part of the creation of a game that because of the creativity and love that has been poured into it by the CZE team has become a game that I truly love.

EntropyBall
04-23-2014, 06:49 PM
My favorite moment in Hex was reading the thread of the Hex dinner giveaway. It was the most awesome thing I've ever seen in an online community. With people pitching in and adding things to what was already an incredible giveway. I stumbled across it after it had been going on for a while and was several pages long, and I couldn't believe that someone was giving away not just a pass to the dinner, but plane tickets and a hotel room.

I believe the people that won that contest are in my guild (if not, the rest of this story is still accurate and equally great), and they went to the convention, stood in the line for the Hex event, won a bunch of the tokens to get the prizes, and then just got in line over and over and gave their spots in line away to new people who had registered. After they came home, they held a raffle in our guild to give away deck sleeves and mercenaries to the people who couldn't make it to the convention. And I think they held a "best original Hex art" raffle for people outside the guild.

I think stuff like this set a precedent for Hex that has helped keep this such a positive community.

Gwaer
04-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Yea, the murder inc crew was awesome at gencon. I'm glad I met them, don't see them around the forums much anymore, but still am friends with them on facebook.

Freebird_Falcon
04-23-2014, 07:53 PM
First day I logged into Alpha, getting into the Deck Manager and putting together a Pack Raptor / Ancestors Chosen / Feather Drifting Downriver deck which I dubbed Dino-riders! It wasn't very good, but it was still great!

hahah, I also went straight to the Raptor + Ancestor for my first deck. :D

Favorite moment?! Hard choice when there was Alan's bug thread, interviews, blog action(Jones'n for it), community tournaments and more. Maybe it was getting the beat down in a 2am draft by Colin's mono ruby deck. I remember 3 Wrathseekers in a row. :P

I really enjoyed a Cerulean Grand Strategist round 2 draft mirror match. Had never used the card prior to picking it. Kept laughing as we shifted the power back and forth in quite the exhausting battle!

I think I'll go with a game I played just last night, where my opponent had a massive flock of seagulls out. Every time I'd work up the advantage to get through, the next turn he'd draw into more avoidance. He only needed 1 bounce card to win, as I was stalling with a Guardian, facing 2 Armadas and 3 draw-gem Dreamers. I used Eurig to build up bots while biting my nails. I had finally amassed an army of War Bots when he drew into The Kraken! I draw my 2nd Guardian and he draws a gambit'd flock the next turn; 11 seagulls now! The game was 50 minutes long lol. I ended up winning through random damage of Malfunctioning War Bots hahah. (and a missed block due to a crowded board!) It was hilariously ridiculous. I thought to myself that the servers might come down soon since it was late night, it would be my last Alpha game and what a great game to close it out with.

sukebe
04-23-2014, 08:22 PM
I dont know if this counts as I was just watching the game but I will try anyway :-) I am terrible with names (even card names) so please forgive me for just giving them a descriptive name instead.

It was the semi final round in a competitive booster draft. My dad was playing an aggressive wild/sapphire deck. His opponent was playing the best drafted mill deck I have ever scene. It had everything a mill player would want. It was the third game and my dads opponent was at 2 health and my dad had 10 cards left in his deck. Dad had just enough creatures out that even with my dads opponent blocking 2 of this 3 creatures, he would be able to get the 2 damage through on his next attack. It had been a hard fought battle but we were both certain that he would be the winner of this round.
It was then his opponents final turn. He draws his card then plays the ruby uncommon card that makes each player draw 3 cards, then discard 3 cards at random. This brought my dad down to 7 cards. However, his opponent also had the sapphire enchantment that mills a card whenever its owner draws a card. This brought my dad down to 4 cards. Next, my dads opponent used the Fate Rack card to mill 2 more cards, bringing him down to 2. Finally, his opponent dropped a resource, giving him enough charge to activate the mill 2 cards champion taking him down to 0 cards and giving his opponent the win.
While we both would have preferred he had won that match, we both were just amazed at the incredible top deck that his opponent had. We didn't even remember that ruby card existed as we had always just skipped over it due to its self inflicted random discard. I love seeing cards I had always considered to be bad used so effectively against me (or my family :) ) that I need to take a second to re-evaluate it.

funktion
04-23-2014, 08:30 PM
It definitely can't come close to being able to make it to Gen Con. That was really something else and has in many ways had a ripple effect for me. I could thank Colin all day and it wouldn't be enough...

With that said, this thread was about alpha I have a lot of favorite alpha moments...

One is definitely playing Urunaaz against an opponent with Lord Alexander in their graveyard. Somehow the inspire still triggered on uru and I was able to get two dudes in the same turn. Frenemies forever.

Another that stands out was being in game very early on where the only thing which worked was chat, and running a text based dungeon in the chat window with people. That was fun.

So many memories!

Edit: I have no desire to win the giveaway, just wanted to share

Stok3d
04-23-2014, 09:07 PM
My favorite Moment is the Dragon Lord Dinner. Having the opportunity to meet so many of the people I converse with online for the first time as well as the Cryptozoic staff was amazing. I'll never forget it. Heh, with just a few more beverages I wouldn't have even remembered it ^ ^.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDrhZMkmt0A

funktion
04-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Getting to spoil one of the set 1 cards is pretty high up there for me too. Yeah that's my #2 moment for sure. Shrewd Manipulation has coincidentally been a card which I've been toying around with a lot lately!

Simo46
04-23-2014, 11:15 PM
Gee, you're a legend Colin, a true gentleman of the game.

I mainly just wanted to say that as I can't really think of any particularly cool moments apart from the ridiculous excitement of being able to play my first few games, even if they were bugged out by turn 5. And popping off two Menacing Gralks in a row, I do that a lot :)

Gwaer
04-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Hahaha, I forgot about that musical crescendo during his speech, that was hilarious.

Simo46
04-23-2014, 11:33 PM
hahah, I also went straight to the Raptor + Ancestor for my first deck. :D

Favorite moment?! Hard choice when there was Alan's bug thread, interviews, blog action(Jones'n for it), community tournaments and more. Maybe it was getting the beat down in a 2am draft by Colin's mono ruby deck. I remember 3 Wrathseekers in a row. :P

I really enjoyed a Cerulean Grand Strategist round 2 draft mirror match. Had never used the card prior to picking it. Kept laughing as we shifted the power back and forth in quite the exhausting battle!

I think I'll go with a game I played just last night, where my opponent had a massive flock of seagulls out. Every time I'd work up the advantage to get through, the next turn he'd draw into more avoidance. He only needed 1 bounce card to win, as I was stalling with a Guardian, facing 2 Armadas and 3 draw-gem Dreamers. I used Eurig to build up bots while biting my nails. I had finally amassed an army of War Bots when he drew into The Kraken! I draw my 2nd Guardian and he draws a gambit'd flock the next turn; 11 seagulls now! The game was 50 minutes long lol. I ended up winning through random damage of Malfunctioning War Bots hahah. (and a missed block due to a crowded board!) It was hilariously ridiculous. I thought to myself that the servers might come down soon since it was late night, it would be my last Alpha game and what a great game to close it out with.

Haha I did that too! Been playing wild/sapphire since but I'm still undecided whether I wanna keep those guys in my deck. Good fun.

hakeswill
04-24-2014, 01:53 AM
It all started with a Penny Arcade comic and editorial on 5/10/2013. Tycho said he backed THE F*** out of a Kickstarter involving Cory Jones. So I went to the Kickstarter page. I watched Cory's "efforts" to secure funding. I laughed. Then I read the reward tiers. Then I drooled.

This is how a card game should be. This is AWESOME! I backed it, happily. And the community was positive! Unheard of. I have lurked in the forums, amazed at people being friendly and helpful for the most part.

Then I waited. And waited. Tabled Hex in my mind and played other games.

And Alpha came out. And it was buggy. And kinda crappy. I dabbled off and on, but wasn't too enthused.

Until March 13th. And the word I had waited for. DRAFTS! https://hextcg.com/patch-v826-breakdown/ was my favorite moment.

Onward to beta!

Eierdotter
04-24-2014, 03:09 AM
Congratz to your 1k posts Colin. Amazing how much time to post you have while spying around CZE all the time^^

Had my moment a few weeks ago while playing a random game and watching TV.
Getting a bit shard flooded in the long run of the game, then my opponent played a bigger troop (no bomb, just a good one for the situation) and due to the current board state he put me on a 2 turn clock. The only way to stop him would be to draw either a troop or a removal (almost a 2/3 chance per draw). As RNG happens, i drew 2 more shards the following turns. I got upset and cursed the damn shards for appearing that often when i clearly did not need them. Then i had a flashback how the game was a few months ago when you were angry when the game did not even start or it bugged out because "a wild card bug appeared". Then i felt a bit proud of myself, since i (along with hundreds of other players) made it happen, that we all can be upset about -the unlucky draws- rather than -the game not working at all-.

Torchedqwe
04-24-2014, 03:14 AM
9 October: Hey HEXers. We've officially launched the alpha of HEX!
- rush home try to download client.. but it failed failed and read all forum posts and view as many streams as possible... check e-mail for alpha access
10 October: read all forum posts and view as many streams as possible... check e-mail for alpha access - no luck
11 October: read all forum posts and view as many streams as possible... check e-mail for alpha access - no luck
12 October: read all forum posts and view as many streams as possible... check e-mail for alpha access - no luck
22 October: read all forum posts and view as many streams as possible... check e-mail for alpha access - no luck
23 October: read all forum posts and view as many streams as possible... check e-mail for alpha access - no luck
24 October: read all forum posts and view as many streams as possible... check e-mail for alpha access - no luck, wait wtf
ALPHA ACCESS WOOOT!!!!

And from there on out just enjoying the roller coaster of new cards new features, broken cards broken features. Just been an awesome ride and I think we all know how much we are going to love this game just because of how hard it hits us when something is not working or down :( but man when its back up is it great!

xou
04-24-2014, 03:32 AM
I've never won anything random but still having a hard time to pass on this. Conrgats on 1k-th post Colin!

My favorite moment was the launch. I'll never forget the anticipation and excitement. Staying up late waiting for that launch stream. Ah, that was dreams come true.. After that it was downhill for me - all that routine bug-testing and stuff - right up until today. Beta is the new beginning, can't wait to dump all my free time down this drain! :)

mithosiris
04-24-2014, 05:56 AM
The best moment of the alpha has been to see the great job Hex has done for this game every week.

felmare
04-24-2014, 08:15 AM
My favorite moment was watching Colin play on live stream!!!

rapidshot20
04-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Winning my first draft after only having played about 3full games ever.

Tirc
04-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Following this game very closely since near the start of the kickstarter but not having the money to back it at the time. Then being able to slacker backer after getting tax returns back. The night I got the email that I was in the alpha was the most excited I've been about video games since probably 20 some years ago when I got my SNES for Christmas... A thirty year old should not scream as loud as I did when I saw the email. Fortunately I was by myself in my car at the time. Could've been awkward in a public place...

Gwaer
04-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Reading emails while driving is very dangerous, even hex related ones. I cannot condone such behavior.

FreyOrvar
04-24-2014, 05:45 PM
My favorite moment was the first time I saw Hex on twitch. I hadn't heard of it and probably wouldn't have clicked it but the title said it was a Streamer's Tournament and I got hooked on the game. I'm really glad Soldack organized that or I never would have seen this game!

Refugee
04-24-2014, 05:56 PM
My favorite moment was when kindling skarn hit the game. One of my favorite magic cards is Kiln Fiend. He's a little unassuming common that has explosive potential. Kindling skarn hit me the same way. You throw him out there and get paid for doing what you want to do anyway, blowing stuff up.

Thaelan
04-25-2014, 11:10 AM
To commemorate my 1000th post (this one!), and the end of Alpha...

Post your favorite moment from Hex's Alpha in this thread. One post per person. At midnight PDT on Saturday (April 27th) I'll choose my favorite. Winner gets 100 Set 1 Booster Packs!

Go!

Starting my first draft and through a combination of luck and hopefully skill, getting into the finals against Funktion Fails from the YouTubez. I got my ass kicked, but it was a nice surprise to get that far in !

Xenavire
04-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Colin, I don't envy you here - this is going to be a fairly tough choice. Tons of great moments, and only one prize. :D

hex_colin
04-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Colin, I don't envy you here - this is going to be a fairly tough choice. Tons of great moments, and only one prize. :D

Agreed. Very happy the direction the thread has taken!

Still time to submit a favorite moment! Entries close tomorrow at midnight PDT.

wolzarg
04-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Split it up everyone gets a single booster everyone is even happier with there happy memory!

Cry0
04-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Ahhh.. What would it be. I guess it's really the time when I got the Alpha invite! That feeeling.. ^^

FireOnHigh
04-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Mine was probably when I won a draft with this sweet shin'hare deck. I got lucky to draft a lot of the good shin'hare uncommons and rares. And I actually got through all three rounds without a bye or it bugging out.

Xenavire
04-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Split it up everyone gets a single booster everyone is even happier with there happy memory!

That would go from reward to cruel and unusual punishment. Think of the hours of trading Colin would have to do!

Although, Colin is pretty awesome, so I would never claim that he wouldn't consider it. He totally would. But it might be better for everyone to see the original prize given out. :p

hex_colin
04-25-2014, 02:08 PM
That would go from reward to cruel and unusual punishment. Think of the hours of trading Colin would have to do!

Although, Colin is pretty awesome, so I would never claim that he wouldn't consider it. He totally would. But it might be better for everyone to see the original prize given out. :p

I'm giving out the original prize for sure. :) The spreadsheet of forum names and email addresses I have to give packs to is pretty long - it's going to be a full-time job finding folks after we can finally trade in-game.

Xenavire
04-25-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm giving out the original prize for sure. :) The spreadsheet of forum names and email addresses I have to give packs to is pretty long - it's going to be a full-time job finding folks after we can finally trade in-game.

Dammit, I wish I was a pro hacker, just so I could find that file and add my name for 0 boosters, just to mess with you. :D

Raith
04-26-2014, 01:35 PM
My favorite time in the alpha was the HexTCGPro January challenge tournament. It was long and sometimes painful but it was great to see a community run event bring together that many people in alpha. And even with many in-game bugs, the sportsmanship of players was very positive. I have played in all three tourneys since then. While they have been smoother over two days instead of a month, the first one will always stand out to me.

OutlandishMatt
04-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Pushing Ozawa to the limits and getting him to negative numbers from so much life gain. I loved bug testing in early alpha, back when we could read the card ability files. :'( Thanks Colin for doing what you do and I hope to see Hex Vault come back alive.

http://www.twitch.tv/thresholdmatt/c/3374567

hex_colin
04-27-2014, 07:32 AM
Thank you all for the posting your memories of Alpha - it's definitely been an incredible ride so far!

As expected, I had a hard time deciding on a winner. So, true to almost every time I do something like this, I chose more than 1 winner - one grand prize (100 boosters as promised) and 2 runners-up (25 boosters each).

I'm a sucker for "Heart of the Cards" moments so you'll see those represented in the winners. On top of that, I love a good movie quote...

OK, the winners:

Grand Prize - 100 Set 1 Boosters - AdamAoE2 - "Release the Kraken!"
Runner Up - 25 Set 1 Boosters - Ravenclaw - "Wait, why are you casting Ragefire on your own troop?"
Runner Up - 25 Set 1 Boosters - dogmod - "Cory Prevails"

Congratulations to all the winners! And, thank you to everyone who's helping make Hex an incredible game!

I have had several draft fun and epic draft experiences, but none stick out to me more then this one:

I'm playing against Heelow in game 3 of a draft finals, who is running a pretty solid Wild/Blood Shin'hare deck. I have battled my way against him down to 6 life, but I am running out of steam. He has two concubunnies which are generating shin'hare every turn and I can't get any damage through anymore. He plays an evolve and things look terribly grim. He has at least ten Battle Hoppers on the field along with several other pieces, and will likely overrun me next turn.

I draw my final card for my turn....

LINK: My Final Turn... (http://i.imgur.com/8C9vniP.jpg)

It's The Kraken!!!

Suddenly, my previously empty board instantly fills up with Tentacles, nearly 1 for 1 with each of his battle hoppers.

Without missing a beat, I shout out "UNLEASH THE KRAAKEN!" into chat, much to Heelow's dismay. There is over half my library left, and I draw the one possible card that can save me in the most dramatic fashion possible. I proceed to win in two turns by exhausting all of his hoppers with tentacles and bashing him in the face with the Kraken itself.

This will far and away be my favorite moment from the Hex Alpha.

I was playing with my Raptor Deck and my opponent had a 42/42 Lightning Armada and attacks, I blocked with my Bird o' Plenty and then i had 43 cards in my hand... so many Raptors in my hand, so many possibilities i thought, still 2 Cards in the Deck, yes i will win this game... and the he playerd a ragefire on his own Bird o Plenty, he had twisted fate out, so, i had to mulligan two cards... i only thought "Nooooooooo..." :D it was sad and amazing and unforgettable funny. ^^

My favorite moment in Hex came against none other than the man himself. Cory Jones. It was the week that Alpha came out and the CZE guys seemed to be always on. I would sometimes sit in the proving grounds just to try to snipe a game against of them. There was something special about getting to play the game against the people that had been and were creating it.

So one time I see that Cory has jumped on and I immediately went to challenge him. Fail, he joined another game. I waited for a second chance and as soon as I saw him pop out of the first game I immediately challenged and was too slow again! Finally, on the third try, as he popped out I quickly clicked the challenge button and, great gloriousness, a game began.

I was using a pretty crappy deck with living totem at the center. I got my living totem out and was sitting there thinking: “YES I WILL BEAT THE MAN HIMSELF… And before the killing blow I am going to say: Thanks for building this game… BLAHAHA” And I was so close.

He was running a deck comprised of life gain, draw, and the immortal spear. I went up to an early lead with a quick totem. Unfortunately, I was then stifled by a Lixil before I went flying with my totem just to be innerconflicted. Needless to say my deck stalled out right before I was able to put the finishing touches on my dream game.

All the while Cory Jones was building up an army of spears behind his impenetrable blockade of Lixil. When he had 4 spears out and I had lost all hope of getting through I asked him, “Living the dream eh?”

“:)” Was all I got in reply.

It was truly a special experience watching the man who invented the game, who dreamed of the game, who spent years upon years of effort into realizing the game not only playing that very same game but seeing him live the dream within the dream.

I think that has been the best part of Alpha. Not only do I get to play a game that I never knew I wanted. I get to play the game that Cory always knew he wanted. I get to be a part of the creation of a game that because of the creativity and love that has been poured into it by the CZE team has become a game that I truly love.

Xenavire
04-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Congrats guys! Awesome stories, awesome rewards.

dogmod
04-27-2014, 07:46 AM
<3... thanks for being an amazing pillar of the community. CZE lucky to have people like you doing stuff like this

AdamAoE2
04-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Wow! To echo dogmod, thank you very much for selecting me as the winner and being such an awesome member of an even more amazing community. I am truly humbled to be a part of it, I really am. I will definitely be giving some of this back to the community too through giveaways or even a tournament of some sort.

Ravenclaw
04-27-2014, 08:19 AM
WOW AWESOME!

Thank you very much! :)
Awesome to be part of a community with so nice member like you hex_colin.

So many cool stories.
Congratulations to you guys AdamAoE2 and dogmod!

Myrgard
04-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Congratulations to the winners,

Thanks Collin for the contest and for bringing community most memorable moments with it

hammer
04-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Well done Colin this whole thread was a great read thank you and congratulations to the winners

Revoluketion
04-27-2014, 08:56 AM
I was a big fan of white blood control decks in alpha ^_^ also meeting this awesome community last month!

ossuary
04-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Congrats to the winners. :)

Colin, as always, you're too damn generous for your own good. ;)