PDA

View Full Version : Game Timer

aatttt
04-23-2014, 04:04 AM
With beta hopefully coming today i need to ask what the development progress of the game timer is?

This is one on the things which bother me the most because when we play for real (money, booster) it would be horrible to loose a draft game because of the still crappy timer. I understand that a time limit is needed and i normaly would have no problem with 30 mins, but it is so annoying when u watch the timer tick down every time and u cant do anything.
For example when somebody is using stargazer or secret lab and he is chosing a card to discard, the timer ticks on the other person (sometimes). It almost feels like every time u have to pass priority, it ticks down 1 or 2 secs - even if u smash space all the time!

Silent
04-23-2014, 04:55 AM
There are certain situations, where your opponent is chosing to do something, but the timer ticks on your end. I've noticed that too. Didn't test it, but it might even be possible to do so and wait 5min until your opponent runs out of time and you win the game. Hopefully this will be fixed or is at least being watched.

Cernz
04-23-2014, 05:10 AM
someone mentioned that the timer would work much better as soon as the
game runs on the new "more powerfull" server, lets wait and see.

Rapkannibale
04-23-2014, 05:51 AM
Play some casual games to test it out first just in case. :)

Slish
04-23-2014, 06:22 AM
Yes. Im pretty confident that most of the timer issues is actually lag. So those issues should be resolved by more powerful servers.

Yoss
04-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Even if it is lag-induced, it indicates improper coding of the timer logic. The timer should not be counting when the player has no control. If a player clicks pass within 5 seconds of the prompt appearing, then he should lose no more than 5 seconds off his timer, but this is often not the case. The timer will start ticking before the prompt and will continue after the prompt.

Also, while something like Chronic Madness is resolving, no one can do anything and yet the timer ticks down. This has nothing to do with lag.

aatttt
04-23-2014, 09:28 AM
what yoss wrote +1

and i just played a game where my opponent used inqusition and uruunaz. both times my timer ticked while he searched for a card to discard and to put into play from my graveyard.

So the timer needs some fixing soon!!!

the_artic_one
04-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Even if it is lag-induced, it indicates improper coding of the timer logic. The timer should not be counting when the player has no control.

I would imagine they did it that way as an anti-cheat, otherwise you could block the response packet and get extra time.

Yoss
04-23-2014, 09:55 AM
I thought the same thing, actually, but one of the more software-savvy posters here said that it can be done securely.

I'm no software guy, but maybe they could track your latency for every packet sent back and forth. If your latency changes by too much, at times when you are gaining advantage from it, they make you forfeit and investigate your account for cheating.

the_artic_one
04-23-2014, 10:24 AM
That method would get lots of false positives. There are probably alternatives but it's possible they have traffic/latency trade offs CZE didn't want to deal with. I'm no networking expert (I'm a programmer but I don't do much networking) so I'll refrain from saying it could/could not be done better.