PDA

View Full Version : Request: Server Status

ossuary
04-24-2014, 05:57 AM
PLEASE add a server status notification to the client. This is Online Games 101.

When the server is down for maintenance, it shouldn't dump me back to the login screen without an error message, it should tell me the server is offline (or even have the message upfront before I try to log in at all).

Morden
04-24-2014, 05:59 AM
Excellent suggestion. I really don't know if servers are up or down just trying to get connected. Thanks for adding this! :D

Kami
04-24-2014, 06:00 AM
An automatically updated server status page would be nice too.

I'm also a bit concerned about DDOS attacks in the future given how accessible the server is. ^^;

Mahes
04-24-2014, 06:06 AM
Yes, I agree whole heartily with this suggestion. I am a little boggled at why this needs to even be suggested.

Ultima Online, 19 years ago had a server status screen in Beta.

LNQ
04-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Has it been 19 years already? I remember reading the brick of a manual with awe.

Khazrakh
04-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Holy...19 years!?
On topic: Agreed, that's something that should be added ASAP ;)

Mahes
04-24-2014, 06:18 AM
My mistake..18 years. It was in Beta in 1996 and went live in 1997. I thought it was 1995. What can I say, it has been a generation ago.

FatMagic
04-24-2014, 06:22 AM
Mahes - completely off topic, but I had to mention.... I noticed your Keep name is Ak'Anon. My Keep name is Innothule! Down with you vile Gnomes!

FranzVonG
04-24-2014, 06:25 AM
So, it's down now? :D

joseph5185
04-24-2014, 06:42 AM
lol, yes and for the next 4 1/2 hours or so.

silverlocke
04-24-2014, 07:07 AM
Ahh ok. Was wondering.

TheGateKeeper
04-24-2014, 07:07 AM
Yes this would be nice

Vorpal
04-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Yeah. I thought there was a bug and only upon coming to the forums does one learn the truth.

squallara
04-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Do we have to unistall the alpha client to install the beta or not?

Rendakor
04-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Just downloading the beta installer and pointing it to the same folder worked for me.

squallara
04-24-2014, 07:36 AM
ok thanks.

Lolzgreekmyth
04-24-2014, 07:44 AM
I agree with the server update as well. It was quite frustrating when i couldn't log on to open my new packs lol.

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 09:35 AM
I approached CZE about hosting a temporary server status app, but I never got a response. I assume that means they are handling it in-house.

Soul-of-Void
04-24-2014, 09:47 AM
They prolly work to make it one of first patches of beta, im sure they hear us about this matter we just need to wait till they are done with it.

Jimcareyman77
04-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Back to the subject at hand. Does anyone know if the servers are down at this time? I can't log in after completing my download and resetting my password (thought maybe that was the problem).

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Back to the subject at hand. Does anyone know if the servers are down at this time? I can't log in after completing my download and resetting my password (thought maybe that was the problem).

They are still down.

MasterN64
04-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Still down as far as I can tell.

And as for the whole server status thing I would imagine its fairly low on the priority list. Its an important feature for sure but I bet the team has many more important things to work on right now like the draft dropping bug that caused this maintenance in the first place. Its in the work im sure you just gotta be patient.

Betas are betas after all. They are not meant to be feature complete because if they are its not a beta.

YourOpponent
04-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Yes the servers are down. The estimated time until is to be 12 hours (42 minutes left of that) and then we should hopefully be given a status update of how long it will be until the servers are up.

Jimcareyman77
04-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Ok. Just as long as I know I'm not going crazy. =)

Yoss
04-24-2014, 10:25 AM
I support the OP 100%

Cato
04-24-2014, 10:31 AM
I also 100% support this request. It's needed.

revcr
04-24-2014, 10:32 AM
SERVER status is a MUST. period

ev1lb0b
04-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Why allow the 'Play Now' button on the patcher screen to be enabled if the server(s) are down, there's no offline component to Hex....we shouldn't even get to a login screen imo. All in good time I guess, as someone has said already I am sure it's way down the priority list at this stage.

Meglodon
04-24-2014, 10:39 AM
They put a bit of a bandaid on it now with a "Game Login Failed" message instead of just dropping you back to the login screen with no explanation.

Ertzi
04-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Motherf... Got home from work, finally had time to jump into Beta, and the server is down. I only have a few hours before I need to go to bed again. You are killing me, Cryptozoic!

Meaning the server is still down. Another thing that is down right now: me.

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Motherf... Got home from work, finally had time to jump into Beta, and the server is down. I only have a few hours before I need to go to bed again. You are killing me, Cryptozoic!

Meaning the server is still down. Another thing that is down right now: me.

Soon. Shouldn't be too long (hopefully). Plus side, weekends almost here! Just one day to survive through.

mudkip
04-24-2014, 10:48 AM
I don't understand why this was ever hard to implement? Surely there's some way to ping the log-in server or create some web script to check for a pulse?

Niedar
04-24-2014, 10:52 AM
About as hard as putting a notice on the front page the servers are down and putting the announcement topic in the beta forum rather than general discussion.

demonanil
04-24-2014, 10:54 AM
I agree they need to add in an indicator showing if they server is down or up. In the meantime is it too much to ask that the community manager gives some hour by hour updates on whats going on. After all it is their job to keep the community informed. That is their job after all right???

mudkip
04-24-2014, 10:54 AM
About as hard as putting a notice on the front page the servers are down and putting the announcement topic in the beta forum rather than general discussion.

I don't like the idea of manual updates. They tried that in Alpha with a forum sticky and it failed in about 2 weeks.

KamaitachiTrey
04-24-2014, 10:56 AM
First, I'll say this should be a thing - but I'm sure Cryptozoic was already planning on this eventually being something they'd add, just focused on other things right now, such as getting the game up and running and that no one would feel they were screwed out of money (buggy drafts or not being granted rewards or purchasing bugging or etc) so they probably focused on those things first.

I don't understand why this was ever hard to implement? Surely there's some way to ping the log-in server or create some web script to check for a pulse?

I don't believe it was "hard" to implement, I believe they just got caught up focusing on the other things I mentioned previously and got ahead of themselves and jumped headlong into the pool!

I'm sure they'll end up implementing something like this. There are still a ton of features they want to add/need to add to make things more fluid in the long run of things. This will likely be one of them.

Remember, this was a transition from alpha to beta, not from any testing foundation to launch. Bugs are still expected and features are still being implemented!

We have to be patient, Cryptozoic is doing a great job, and they're still working hard for us. I'm sure they'll include a feature like this as soon as they can.

I've been seeing quite a few complaints about this. It's just fact that most players view the general discussion board, and that means that most players will see the notice there and be informed by it there.

I'll admit they could post it on the front page as well, or also here, but I'm sure what happened was they threw a post on the general discussion as soon as they knew there was going to be downtime, and then got to work on fixing the issue rather than making sure to post the information in multiple areas.

We're all excited, but I'm sure they're working hard on fixing the issues keeping us from getting in, rather than implementing a server status icon. But in the long run, I'm sure they'll add something like this.

YourOpponent
04-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Twitter is updated with the server being down until 13:00 Pacific time. So two more hours to go.

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Twitter is updated with the server being down until 13:00 Pacific time. So two more hours to go.

Bummed, but not surprised.

Niedar
04-24-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't like the idea of manual updates. They tried that in Alpha with a forum sticky and it failed in about 2 weeks.

That wasn't my point really. My point was implementing it automatically isn't hard, just like doing a better job at letting everyone know the beta that just launched is actually down isn't hard but they didn't do that either. I wasn't trying to say they should manually do this each time instead of taking a couple minutes and making the client tell you whether the server is up or down.

larryhl
04-24-2014, 11:29 AM

And that's the thing. If they can bother to update Twitter with this info, they should be able to update the forums too. After all, not everyone uses Twitter.

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 11:33 AM
And that's the thing. If they can bother to update Twitter with this info, they should be able to update the forums too. After all, not everyone uses Twitter.

They did.

timboman
04-24-2014, 11:40 AM

They DO update the forums, at this topic:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34756

larryhl
04-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Last I heard, this was the Beta forum, not the General Discussion forum.

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Last I heard, this was the Beta forum, not the General Discussion forum.

And it is a brand new board - they are perfectly justified in using the board with the most traffic.

In a few weeks, if they are still not posting here, I would be getting a little worried/annoyed myself, but for now it is to be expected.

Daer
04-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Server is back up, tournaments are offline until tomorrow morning.

Gridian
04-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Server is back up, tournaments are offline until tomorrow morning.

I disagree. My client still does not even contact the server to check my password, it just kicks me out.
Well, it's launchday. We'll see how things progress in the coming days :-)

Mejis
04-24-2014, 10:33 PM
I disagree. My client still does not even contact the server to check my password, it just kicks me out.
Well, it's launchday. We'll see how things progress in the coming days :-)

I can't log in either.

Can anyone confirm that they can log in right now?