PDA

View Full Version : Dwavern Librarian bugged?

Hemotherapy
04-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Was playing Starter deck vs Starter deck with a friend last night, him with Shin'hare and me with Dwarves. Got to the point in the game when I got a dwarven librarian (Pay X, tap, and you draw a card) out on the field and went to draw a card, when priority was passed to him after I activated the ability he murdered it, murder resolved.

Then the activated ability to draw a card resolved, we pass priority back and forth and then suddenly, a card appeared in my hand. The draw card still went off even though he murdered it in reaction to me activating the ability.

Definitely has to be a bug right? Activated ability should have been cancelled when murder went through. I shouldn't have gotten that additional card.

Kami
04-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Activated abilities would still pass through as it's already on the stack. This is why, for example, in Magic you would use the ability of a card just before it was destroyed.

I don't believe this is a bug.

Scammanator
04-24-2014, 08:14 AM
Nope. Not a bug. Once an ability is activated it goes on the chain and stays there until it is resolved or interrupted. It doesn't matter if its source is still in play.

Hemotherapy
04-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Huh. Been awhile since I've done FNM but I could have sworn if you destroyed the card that activated the ability and that it resolved on the stack before the activated ability it would cancel the activated ability. I get the reverse that you're talking about Kami, He murders and in response I tap to draw a card, but if I tap to draw a card and he interrupts with murder, I feel that I shouldnt get that card then becuase murder resolves before the activated ability does. I'm happy I get the extra card but I just didn't think it worked that way in MTG so I was surprised to see that last night.

Hemotherapy
04-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Nope. Not a bug. Once an ability is activated it goes on the chain and stays there until it is resolved or interrupted. It doesn't matter if its source is still in play.

Right, but he did interrupt it by removing the "source" of the activated ability. Murder resolved, the Libarian is gone. Then it's time to resolve the activated ability from the librarian but Uh oh he's dead! So it shouldn't resolve in my mind, I don't remember MtG being so...forgiving so I didn't think Hex would be either. Could be wrong I guess. Thanks for the input guys!

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Right, but he did interrupt it by removing the "source" of the activated ability. Murder resolved, the Libarian is gone. Then it's time to resolve the activated ability from the librarian but Uh oh he's dead! So it shouldn't resolve in my mind, I don't remember MtG being so...forgiving so I didn't think Hex would be either. Could be wrong I guess. Thanks for the input guys!

MTG underwent a lot of changes, I am fairly sure it works the same way now.

Scammanator
04-24-2014, 02:33 PM
MTG underwent a lot of changes, I am fairly sure it works the same way now.

It does. It's worked that way for a while, actually. How else would "Sacrifice this creature: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player." and other sacrifice effects work? The sacrificed creature is dead before the ability even goes on the stack, but clearly the ability is intended to resolve anyways. Hex has a similar effect with Sapper's Charge and a few other cards.