PDA

View Full Version : Missing card portraits

Alvaro_Zeno
04-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Display name: Dragonsreach
Bug description: Cards are missing their portraits, both in preview- and in full size.
Frequency: Persisting through clean reinstalls.
Bug report:

I should note that by missing portrait I mean that in the standard card collection view a card frame is displayed, framing a text telling me I am missing a portrait.
On right clicking the card it displays a frame and a fully white space where the image should be.

First I installed Hex in C:\program files (x86)\hex
..and it was missing over half of the portraits.
Then I tried:
restarting the game, didn't work
tried repairing, didn't work
tried clean reinstall, didn't work
again, having rebooted the PC, changed nothing
installed to D:\My Games\Hex, with a newly downloaded installer even, still no luck
a friend did have a correct install; copied his root\cards\*, as mine were showing the 'missing portrait' text in the .pngs.
(note: I checked root\data\sets\sets001\portraits, these appear wholly intact at all times, counting 428 images)
This fixed the problem for the cards in my collection which were missing their protraits. Including the zoomed in view, oddly enough.
Then I opened some new packs to try some new cards.
Several new cards refuse to display a proper portrait.
Time for drastic measures!
Disabled UAC, explicitly gave hexpatch.exe and hex.exe administrative rights.
Repaired install, no dice.
Checked the install folder to make sure, and the new cards being obstinate in-game have 'broken' .pngs there as well.

What I have noticed is that these small card images are not downloaded (or extracted from some other game asset, I don't know) beforehand but rather at the time they are the cards are obtained in-game.
Perhaps my internet connection or the game process itself is running slow, causing a failure in downloading/extracting new images on the fly.
My client is running measurably slower than my mate's, so I'm at least not completely imagining things.

As a last note, one install later, upon clicking a card missing its preview png I could see the full size image at least. However a restart & repair later and now every card is refusing to display a full sized image, even the ones with a working preview.

Good luck getting this mess the reproduce itself reliably.

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 04:34 PM
This is a common and random bug. I would suggest rebooting the client whenever it happens, and try rebooting your PC if it persists.

There may be other workarounds, but I am not currently aware of any.

Sushamo
04-24-2014, 04:47 PM
I don't see how restarting would solve the problem. Checking in root\cards\* shows an actual .png file that displays the bug.
Do these small card images get wiped/remade every time the game runs?

EDIT: They don't, of course. After replacing Alvaro_Zeno's faulty .pngs with my correct ones they stayed functional until another clean reinstall was attempted.

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
I don't see how restarting would solve the problem. Checking in root\cards\* shows an actual .png file that displays the bug.
Do these small card images get wiped/remade every time the game runs?

EDIT: They don't, of course. After replacing Alvaro_Zeno's faulty .pngs with my correct ones they stayed functional until another clean reinstall was attempted.

There are some issues with it - I have been playing for months, and sometimes they persist for a few days before being replaced by functional ones.

Another workaround I just remembered is to simply delete the folder with the card images, then run the patcher. It should pick up clean versions again. I have never needed to do that however.

Sushamo
04-24-2014, 05:25 PM
That solved it. Should anyone run into this problem in the future, this is what worked for us: Open your Hex install folder and go to \cards\. Delete all the faulty images outright. In Hex, go to the card collection to make the game recreate the now missing images. Repeat as many times necessary. (Which in AZ's case was several times)

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest there may be problems with the client and the PC's hardware. Other, more resource intensive games run just fine. Yet Hex manages to strain the poor thing to it's limits. Checking CPU usage through task manager doesn't show any major spikes, maybe the GPU is to blame.
An interesting aside is that AZ's booster pack opening stalls _every_ time. Probably related.

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 05:38 PM
That solved it. Should anyone run into this problem in the future, this is what worked for us: Open your Hex install folder and go to \cards\. Delete all the faulty images outright. In Hex, go to the card collection to make the game recreate the now missing images. Repeat as many times necessary. (Which in AZ's case was several times)

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest there may be problems with the client and the PC's hardware. Other, more resource intensive games run just fine. Yet Hex manages to strain the poor thing to it's limits. Checking CPU usage through task manager doesn't show any major spikes, maybe the GPU is to blame.
An interesting aside is that AZ's booster pack opening stalls _every_ time. Probably related.

Two words: Memory leak. It is well known among alpha players, and we are all hoping for a fix before launch. The sooner the better, because even my semi decent PC struggles to stream it, yet can still play some fairly decent games (like Bioshock infinite, Borderlands, Batman Origins, etc.)

Talso
04-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Itīs not solved for me.

I open the card manager. Load the starter deck. Almost every card picture of the deck is missing. Trying to solve the problem, I send the cards of the starter deck back to the inventory, so that the deck is empty and all cards are in the inventory. When I send the cards from the inventory back to the deck every card picture will be displayed correctly (sometimes)- and the missing picture files in my hex/cards folder will be replaced by normal pictures. When I leave the card manager, load the deck or save the deck, the pictures will be missing again- instantly. And almost every picture will be missing again- and again and again and again and...
Deleting the folder: Some cards will be loaded correctly when I enter the card manager ingame. Most of the cards will not. Correctly displayed cards will be replaced by "missing card portraits" cards AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!

Xenavire
04-24-2014, 05:46 PM
Open your Hex install folder and go to \cards\. Delete all images.

This is pretty much what the devs said, word for word, and it ihas helped many people. Try it multiple times. If it still does not work, I suggest checking you drivers (specifically video drivers) and possibly direct X versions. If all else fails, post your exact specs and operating system, and your keep name, and open a support ticket. http://support.hextcg.com/

Alvaro_Zeno
04-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Here is a list of specs of my PC, should that help.
Windows,"Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)"
Memory "8174 MB" DDR3
GPU Radeon HD 6670
CPU "AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor"
Motherboard *,"Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-970A-UD3"

Sushamo
04-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Just a tip, instead of deleting the entire folder, delete only the images that are misbehaving. That way the client doesn't have to generate as many new images, alleviating part of the stress. Might not work for everyone though, sure is one ugly bug.

Talso
04-24-2014, 06:26 PM
I think my problem is solved. "delete only the images that are misbehaving"- that seems correct. BUT: It could need MANY (MANY!!!) attempts of deleting images and entering the card manager. It took ME many attempts...

Sushamo
04-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Yeah, it's far from a good solution. Every time you obtain new cards there's a chance they're messed up.

Protip: You don't need to close the game to get the cards to refresh, just alt+tab to the \cards\ folder and remove any broken images. Then alt+tab back to Hex and switch screens. Revisiting the deck builder will generate new previews every time. :)

Bells
04-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Onslught is also showing the same problem to me, just an FYI

Maverickroll
04-24-2014, 10:48 PM
I think my problem is solved. "delete only the images that are misbehaving"- that seems correct. BUT: It could need MANY (MANY!!!) attempts of deleting images and entering the card manager. It took ME many attempts...

It doesn't work. I've deleted the images in that folder over and over, no matter what a vast majority of my 910 cards in my library show up as Card Portrait Missing. I had hoped going from Alpha to Beta this would be solved but it's still there, it's definitely one of the things that drives me NOT to play because I can't tell what card is what at a glance, having to preview every damn card over and over in a game ;\

http://i.imgur.com/6671xjZ.jpg

Sushamo
04-25-2014, 04:10 AM
I don't know if you've tried this but maybe remove only a few cards at a time to minimize the work your PC has to do at once. That might avoid a memory leak.
As a workaround, one last thing you could try is to find someone who has the correct images and copy-paste those into your folder. Have someone else generate the images for you, that might get you ready to play at least.

EDIT: See dropbox link below.

vickrpg
04-25-2014, 07:51 AM
I was having this issue, but only on one of my 2 computers, so I fixed it by copying the cards folder from one comp onto a dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/569j46pem18vfw9/0-hORRtKNg)and copying it into the other's so it would load them properly. this fixed it (mostly)

I then had a similar problem, the missing portraits changed to only some zones. (I posted in the alpha bug report in this thread (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34364&p=350321#post350321)when it started) SOME copies of cards have missing portraits, others are fine. Eg: If I have 3 ruby shards in hand, only 2 will not have portraits. if I have a Honeycap in my gy, on the field, and in my hand, any number of them will have portraits, the rest will not.

http://s28.postimg.org/bbn2519k9/card_portrait_missing.png (http://postimg.org/image/bbn2519k9/)

Xavris
04-25-2014, 10:11 AM
For me it did not help at all to delete files in /cards folder. All cards still looks like on Maverickroll screenshot, except I don't have a single correct image. I've downloaded cards images from vickrpg dropbox and it was even worse after that, since cards did not even had a frame (only black square with 'card portrait missing').

Also, I have no images in inventory (just white square in place of boosters and draft invites), have only picture of one champion when in card manager screen (no matter which I choose it stays on one), and when I want to play (I only try with AI since I have no images) I got white square where pictures of heroes (both) should be.

I've tried to reinstal twice and to repair about a million or two. Did not helped at all.

@Xenavire - yup, my drivers are updated - game itself runs just fine.

Xenavire
04-25-2014, 10:50 AM
For me it did not help at all to delete files in /cards folder. All cards still looks like on Maverickroll screenshot, except I don't have a single correct image. I've downloaded cards images from vickrpg dropbox and it was even worse after that, since cards did not even had a frame (only black square with 'card portrait missing').

Also, I have no images in inventory (just white square in place of boosters and draft invites), have only picture of one champion when in card manager screen (no matter which I choose it stays on one), and when I want to play (I only try with AI since I have no images) I got white square where pictures of heroes (both) should be.

I've tried to reinstal twice and to repair about a million or two. Did not helped at all.

Have you checked your video drivers? It doesn't sound like the game files are at fault this time, although there could be another, separate issue at fault.

Talso
04-25-2014, 12:33 PM
It took me 4 hours to get round about 115 pictures to be shown correctly. I had Hex in windowed mode, switched to the /cards folder and deleted the "card portrait missing" files. The program is giving us wrong files over and over again. The more Booster packs I opened the more portraits were missing. It took an hour to get the starter deck to be displayed correctly.
Why should my video card be responsible when I recive "card portrait missing" files? The one who sends the files is responsible- and it SHOULD BE FIXED!
Now that I have my 115 pictures displayed correctly, the are displayed pretty fast.
Who is responsible for creating the "card portrait missing" files? The correct files donīt appear on my harddrive- donīt tell me it is because my video card doesnīt accept them! First they show up on hard drive (or memory)- then they get displayed. As said before- it takes hours to get the pictures. As soon as they arrive, everything is fine.

Itīs not top hardware anymore Iīm using; but it should be DAMN common at the moment!
As said before, it took hours to get the pictures. Interesting: Nothing went forward for some time; in the end, it started to run and I received A LOT of missing pictures. I think the servers are responsible- we donīt receive pictures on high peaks! My 115 pictures were a small problem compared to more than 900 pictures not showing up lol.
FIX THE PROBLEM PLEASE!

Maverickroll
04-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Have you checked your video drivers? It doesn't sound like the game files are at fault this time, although there could be another, separate issue at fault.

I can guarantee it's a game file issue. Since the game is generating png files to display cards and/or display error cards, it's drawing these from a pool of images somewhere in the game files (probably all zipped up somewhere in whichever file format they use, i havent gone to look). If it was a driver issue, it wouldn't be happening to both AMD and Nvidia users, especially when both are using the latest set of secure (non-beta) drivers. And IF it was a driver issue, then this is something CZE needs to fix on their end. If I can play modern games like DayZ, Battlefield 4 etc at an acceptable frame rate (albeit with some graphical settings lowered) then a 2D card game that has some minor animations should run FLAWLESS. Again this is Beta we're talking about, we expected the missing card bug to be squashed in early Alpha, keyword early. I barely played during Alpha because I could rarely suffer through a game without having to preview most cards.

This, along with some of the other show stopping bugs like not being able to log in (that some people are dealing with), should be their number one priority in fixing, and fast. We should have had a hotfix patch for this by now.

Xavris
04-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Ok, I've solved my issue. It turned out I still had alpha files in default folder (program files). After deleting them and reinstalling game it's all just fine (i had to reload one missing portrait).

Maverickroll
05-02-2014, 01:36 AM
Any word on a patch or anything that will fix this?

80ProofGaming
05-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Display name: Nyforandring
Bug description: Cards are missing their portraits, both in preview- and in full size.
Frequency: Constant.
Bug report: Just reporting that I also have this same issue. Cards are missing portraits. Repair install didn't fix the problem. Anti-virus uninstalled. Peer blocker disabled.

DXdiag attached...well...most of a DXdiag. The file was too large to upload so I had to remove some information about my sound card and the like.

Talso
05-07-2014, 03:42 AM
Nice last update. My card pictures in the /cards folder were deleted; and I received new "Card portrait missing" pictures. Some were loaded correctly.
Send a ticket "gameforge support". Links to this thread included. And a clear (yeah!) description of the problem.

Talso
05-08-2014, 07:05 AM
And hereīs an answer from Gameforge support:
The question: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34864
adding that everything is missing again after the last update and that other users have the same or related problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antwort von: Vian Antwort bewerten 2014-05-08 11:34:11

Hello Talso,

Thank you for contacting HEX Customer Support. We're sorry to hear you're encountering the missing card portrait bug. This can happen due to having corrupted files upon download. We're looking into why this is happening and how to prevent this, however I have provided you with a list of things that can be done to resolve your issue. While we're aware some of these may have been attempted already, it is best to complete the following, step by step, and not avoiding something you have already done.

Please be aware, it is best to load your client after every step. If the problem has been resolved early in the process, you will not have to continue then.

Deleting the "cards" folder.
This folder can be located within your standard HEX installation path.

Deleting the "Portraits" folder.
This folder can be located within the following location: ...\Hex\Data\Sets\Set001\

Deleting your appdata local Cryptozoic folder.
This folder can be located at the following location: C:\Users\\AppData\LocalLow - Please be aware this may change slightly depending on your operating system.

Forcing a fresh reload of HEX
This step can be slightly more confusing. Please follow the steps exactly and do not delete anything NOT related to HEX.
Press START and type into the search REGEDIT, once located, launch.
Go to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software
Locate the folder entitled "Cryptozoic"
Right click and delete. Agree to delete all subcomponents
Relaunch HEX

With these steps completed, everything should be loading for you correctly. If this is not the case, you will be forced to uninstal HEX, follow the process for "Forcing a fresh reload of HEX" and then reinstalling the client.

I'm sorry for such a long process, however I hope this will assist you in being able to locate all of your cards again and removing your Missing Portrait bug.

Best regards,
Vian
HEX Support Team
(answer via Gameforge support)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iīm happy heīs not talking about my graphics card or memory leaks I might have. Forcing a fresh reload of HEX is what I was actually looking for.
"encountering the missing card portrait bug"- they know the bug, theyīll look into it (again?)- well, if we canīt solve the problem on our own AT THE MOMENT, it could take some time.

Achri
09-10-2014, 05:09 PM
I followed all of the things specified on this thread + the other few threads mentioning this.
It actually made things worse.2281

Your Display Name: Achri
Bug Description: Portrait missing / White portraits
Steps to Reproduce: No clue.
Frequency: Every attempt at loading the game.

Additional Information:
1. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game twice now. This includes using the 'unins000.exe' and then manually deleting the folder. I also verified that the registry entry was gone.
2. I have probably deleted the entire cards folder about 10 times now. Each time different cards come back white and the number can change in how many are white. The .png files reflect what is happening in game.
3. I deleted the portrait folder once, although every single .png in the folder was good. I enjoy the artwork.
4. I finally deleted just the white cards and kept refreshing via my card explorer in game.
This managed to be the best solution.
However, as stated on this/another thread if there is a duplicate of any of the cards, the duplicates will be white or have the picture of another card.
So a shard card might be white, or it might be the picture of a giantosaur or whatever.

As a side note for this solution, whenever you get into a game with cards you have never seen, almost all of them are white. Which since I just got into the Beta a day ago, this is pretty much every game.

5. I have tried moving the client in windowed mode across the three non-main monitors.
6. I have tried scaling the windowed mode to a couple of resolutions.
7. I attempted to use Full Screen on the non-main monitors.

I didn't expect half of the things to work since it appears that all of the affected cards are translated to white pictures in the cards folder.

As a side-note, there may be a memory leak?
Without trying to capture the blocks and analyze them, I noticed that the memory to Hex continuously climbed to the point where the game started lagging out greatly. My machine is a budget machine, but I can play every other game on medium -> maximum settings.

AMD Phenom II X4 955
8 GB RAM
MOBO: 970A-G43(MS-7693)
Radeon R7 260X - 2GB