PDA

View Full Version : Couple Suggestions for VIP Program

Blitz1775
04-25-2014, 10:48 PM
First one is it would be awesome if you could have the option to choose your VIP status to give a 1 or 2 of Untradeable Draft tickets a week instead of a booster pack

I think it be really cool to give some kind of reward for being part of the VIP reward like something every year of subscription (Cumulative), like some kind of card that's part of the program. Though I can also acknowledge that it suck if you get started early and would have to wait that long to catch up.

Gwaer
04-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Trading 1 pack for 3 or 6 packs and 1 or 2 platinum a week is a pretty big jump, maybe they could give 1 free draft a month, and no packs... But that's way more lame than a pack a week imo.

Kami
04-26-2014, 11:49 AM
I think the purpose of the VIP program is to give very minor perks and maybe a slight discount for those that subscribe. However, I don't think it should be allowed to progress to the point where people feel obligated to subscribe to feel like a valued part of the community.

Blitz1775
04-26-2014, 01:35 PM
@Gwaer I honestly don't see the confusion your trading the relative value of booster packets for tournament tickets that can only be used on your account.

@Kami I can see your point on the second suggestion, though what do you think of the first then.

Daer
04-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Gwaer's point was that each draft ticket is worth $7 and is ridiculous as a weekly VIP perk.

Xenavire
04-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Would they simply be tickets, or tickets that cover the entire entry? (I.E tickets that include the 3 booster fee as well.)

If it is simply covering the 100 plat entry fee, then I could see that as a possible outlet. But it makes no sense to do so, really. Why pay for the VIP and exchange your cheap packs for entry fees? May as well just spend some money on plat for the entry fees and use the packs to enter.

After the kickstarter VIP is over, you would need to pay for the VIP anyway, so it evens out no matter what. So if you can pay it one way, you can pay it the other.

The only long term benefit would be 'going infinite' for cheap, but not free.

Although if I have missed something, please let me know.

Gwaer
04-26-2014, 01:47 PM
A draft ticket gives you the cards from 3 packs, plus the entry fee. So you're trading a $2 a week value for a $7 one. Which is ludicrous for a $4 a month perk.

Yoss
04-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Perhaps OP meant a ticket for just the entry fee, not for the packs ($1 value, not $7).

Daer
04-26-2014, 09:30 PM
A $4 monthly sub for 100 plat a week is brilliant.

trapline
04-26-2014, 09:56 PM
I think the purpose of the VIP program is to give very minor perks and maybe a slight discount for those that subscribe. However, I don't think it should be allowed to progress to the point where people feel obligated to subscribe to feel like a valued part of the community.

I feel the opposite myself because instead you are obligated to pour money into a bottomless hole if you want to play draft. 7 bucks a ride is just way too steep for draft, and it's going to hurt the game in the long run because you aren't going to have matches popping quickly enough when the competition (hearthstone) starts adding in more cards, pve and bleeds off a serious chunk of casual players.

You'll have a niche community that while enthusiastic about the game, will also limit the amount and frequency of tournament queues.
Even if hearthstone is a less complex game, people are just not going to flock to hex at that price point, and that's a shame. I didn't see hearthstone as in the same ball park as HEX in potential, but money talks and hearthstone is cheap.
Maybe hex needs some type of phantom draft with gold as the entry and a ranking ladder, or a free constructed ranking ladder? Something needs to be in place so you can pvp and get some progress without a paywall.

Daer
04-26-2014, 09:59 PM
Hearthstone already has all the casual players.

Yoss
04-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Hearthstone also isn't really any cheaper than Hex. HS boosters are $1.50, Hex boosters will also be about that on the AH. Hex Draft is $1 (plus 3 packs but you keep the cards) versus HS Arena at $2 (with no packs but you dont keep the cards).

They're just different models. The AH in Hex is what will make it affordable compared to other digital card games.

mach
04-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Hearthstone also isn't really any cheaper than Hex. HS boosters are $1.50, Hex boosters will also be about that on the AH. Hex Draft is $1 (plus 3 packs but you keep the cards) versus HS Arena at $2 (with no packs but you dont keep the cards).

They're just different models. The AH in Hex is what will make it affordable compared to other digital card games.

Competitive constructed in Hex costs money (not even counting the cost of your deck). Competitive constructed in HS nets you a profit in in-game currency.

Plus, HS gives you free in-game currency each day for playing. You can think about it like a VIP program which you get for playing rather than paying.

I was able to put together a top-tier constructed HS deck (with multiple Legendaries) without spending a dime. That's impossible in Hex, at least until PvE gets here.

So HS is cheaper, at least until the PvE half of Hex comes in.

Different models are different, of course. But the one big beef I have with the Hex model is pay-per-game on the Constructed side. You've already sunk money into your deck, so you shouldn't need to keep paying for each game.

Gwaer
04-26-2014, 10:36 PM
You don't have to pay more for casual games, only for tournaments with prize support, you can organize your own third party tournament even if you want.

Vibraxus
04-26-2014, 10:36 PM

PVE is what will ruin Hearthstone. And why Im am a sad panda that we dont have PVE yet. It should be what Hex markets...and market HARD. The hardcore card gamers will come and spend....we need the casual players to LOVE this ish via PVE and want to play in PVP.

This is where guild masters will be a key to pimp this game. I have a few friends who didnt KS but will join the free stuff whn it opens....I throw them 30 packs...guess what? They wanna play PVP. So pleae jut make the guild master reward as a token I can guft to another. I dont wanna sit n those codes for a long time.

Blitz1775
04-27-2014, 01:47 AM
Yoss is correct in that I was meaning the ticket as in the 1 Dollar portion of the 7 Dollar fee which was why I was thinking getting a couple tickets instead of booster packs was a fairly equivalent trade.

Gwaer
04-27-2014, 02:16 AM
Well that's more reasonable, but it requires a new kind of ticket that only covers entry fees. Not impossible.

Jeevus
04-27-2014, 06:23 AM
You can't just compare Hex to Hearthstone. They may seem similar on paper, but their approach to the genre couldn't be farther from each other. Hearthstone is a very simplified card game for casual players who don't want to learn alot of "special abilites" and rulings or just don't have much time to do so and just want to play some games "in between".

Hex is, as we all know, way more complex, the games take much longer and the only thing that may be a point of interest for most Hearthstone players could be the PvE, which is, at the same point a way to get new people into the PvP side of the game from there on.

As for the V.I.P topic: I think i am fine the way it is. Maybe they could give a booster and an entry ticket for tournaments (only the entry fee of 100 plat) each week instead of just a booster. That would be a nice addition, but hey, i am taking the free boosters anyhow ^_^

wolzarg
04-27-2014, 07:40 AM
I feel the opposite myself because instead you are obligated to pour money into a bottomless hole if you want to play draft. 7 bucks a ride is just way too steep for draft, and it's going to hurt the game in the long run because you aren't going to have matches popping quickly enough when the competition (hearthstone) starts adding in more cards, pve and bleeds off a serious chunk of casual players.

You'll have a niche community that while enthusiastic about the game, will also limit the amount and frequency of tournament queues.
Even if hearthstone is a less complex game, people are just not going to flock to hex at that price point, and that's a shame. I didn't see hearthstone as in the same ball park as HEX in potential, but money talks and hearthstone is cheap.
Maybe hex needs some type of phantom draft with gold as the entry and a ranking ladder, or a free constructed ranking ladder? Something needs to be in place so you can pvp and get some progress without a paywall.

Have you seen how much it costs on MTGO prerelease drafts at 25$+tax normal drafts at 14$+tax. That is what you need to compare to not to hearthstone which is a closed system where they could literally sell boosters for cents because it won affect any kind of market or value.