PDA

View Full Version : Fight with Daring Swordsman and multiple blockers ends strangely

FoundInTheFlood
04-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Setting as follows:

Daring Swordsman (5/3) WITH "FIRSTSTRIKE" (whatever it is called in HEX again) attacks.

Enemy blocks with three creatures:

Righteous Paladin (5/5), Righteous Paladin (4/4) and Adamanthian Scrivener (2/2).

I don't know which of the Paladins was the first in my deal-damage-order, but ONE Paladin and my swordsman died.

Even the enemy didnt expect it. If the swordsman deals double damage (so 10) and the first and second Paladin together have 9 defense, why wouldn't they both die?). Does "firststrike" only work on the first enemy if multiple block? Is that written somewhere?

SacrificialToast
04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
I think what happens here is that the Daring Swordsman assigns lethal damage to the first paladin, so 5. THEN when he inflicts damage, he doubles it, thus dealing 10 damage to a single enemy. I'm pretty sure that's how this kind of effect would work in MtG as well.

Xenavire
04-26-2014, 01:16 PM
I think what happens here is that the Daring Swordsman assigns lethal damage to the first paladin, so 5. THEN when he inflicts damage, he doubles it, thus dealing 10 damage to a single enemy. I'm pretty sure that's how this kind of effect would work in MtG as well.

This was discussed in Alpha. Alan told us the interaction wasn't quite there yet in the rules at the time. It may still be that way.

I also have assumed it would work that way though.