PDA

View Full Version : Beta suggestions

ZenBuddhist
04-26-2014, 07:25 PM
I'd asked on Twitter if the devs wanted some suggestions for the beta client and was told to create a thread here.

So here are a few suggestions based on playing on a Windows laptop connected to a wider screen (25:9 aspect ratio), a 27" iMac and a Surface Pro 2. There are the obvious bugs with the clients that I know are being worked on, so I won't address those. All I'm doing here is making suggestions for the UI and/or quality of gameplay improvements.

Font size. Primarily with the chat channel, though it would be nice to increase the font size in a few different places. Depending on the resolution used, whether full screen or windowed, it is not always clear. Plus, the font size in the chat channel is quite small.
Card manager. It would be nice if we could select which elements to see on this screen. If we could click a show/hide button for all three elements on screen: card library, deck, champion. That way, if we want to look at just the card library, and increase the size of the cards even more, we can. Alternatively, just look at the loaded deck full screen, with larger card sizes.
Full screen cards. When zooming into the cards, it would be nice if we could zoom in even further (eg. card height takes up entire vertical size of the screen/window). This is especially noticeable on the Surface, of course, and so will be a concern when you are working on the tablet/iOS version.
Skipping deck opening animation. There have been a number of issues with this which are related to a bug, however it would also be nice if we could simply select to skip this animation if we choose to. I understand a lot of time went into creating it, and while we appreciate it, after seeing it over a hundred times, it is simply a delay which we may want to bypass in order to get to the meat of the matter: the cards.
More screen resolutions. The available screen resolutions are fairly limited at the moment, which results in odd font clipping at times. I understand this is challenging, as the game area is somewhat fixed, but it's still possible to create the required effects with fades and resizeable backgrounds.
Keybinding. It would be nice if we could personalize some of the actions with keys and mouse buttons. In the case of the Surface, with not using a mouse, it's not quite as fluid an experience. If we could change the keybinds for certain things (eg. zooming into a card), that would be fantastic.
Screenshots. Most games have this function, and it would certainly be fantastic if Hex had it as well. We all love taking screenshots of winning moments or amazing cards, and it serves as promotion for the game. Adding a "tweet this screenshot or post to FB" would further add to the promotional value of such a feature.

I have been thoroughly enjoying both the alpha and the beta, and look forward to continued client tweaking. I don't believe any of these suggestions are ground-breaking, however I believe they would make the UI and gameplay more enjoyable.

Thanks for your time and keep up the great work.

GatticusFinch
04-26-2014, 11:31 PM
Font size for sure. Not being able to read the card text in the deck manager without hovering is terrible.

Full-screen windowed mode needs to be implemented.

The test draw in deck manager is all greyed out. You can use it, but the cards are way too hard to read.

Gwaer
04-26-2014, 11:37 PM
I'd like to expand your first point to a complete chat client overhaul, how people communicate in the game is going to be the most important thing for an mmo feel in a game like hex. Since we don't have avatars that are moving around in space interacting with other avatars, our chat is our single mode of immersion in the the wider sense of there are thousands of other people around me. The chat client we currently have is completely unacceptable for that task, so it will hopefully be completely redone.

Kami
04-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Full-screen windowed mode needs to be implemented.

There are workarounds for this already until they implement it in-game. The fact that they are working on it is confirmed.

ZenBuddhist
04-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Another way that the zoom (for text) can be "fixed" is if a magnifying glass function is implemented. We've all seen these types of functions in various games/websites. Click a button on your keyboard or say middle button on your mouse (again, to be set via key binds) and a magnifying circle appears on your screen. If we could move the circle around the screen freely until the button is pressed again (or let go of), and if the zoom was adjustable, that would be an idea solution. It would also help immensely when playing on tablets. I know I would kill for such a function when playing on the Surface.

If there was a magnifying glass icon somewhere on the screen that could just be tapped (in case we don't have a keyboard attached to the Surface - or other tablet), and boom, instant zoom. If we could even keep the circle on the screen at all times, just put it to the side as we're moving cards, and then just tap and drag back to where we need it as we're playing… well that would be amazing.

trapline
04-27-2014, 11:26 AM
A built in keyboard or code to trigger the windows 8 keyboard on windows 8 tablets, I can play this on the Surface Pro 2 pretty decently but there is no onscreen keyboard support to allow for a full tablet experience.

Thraeg
04-27-2014, 11:27 AM
I'd love an option for a "Pass Priority" hotkey that is universal (active even when the HEX window doesn't have focus). I tend to multi-task and be reading or typing something on the other monitor while waiting for the opponent to decide what to do, and would like to be able to acknowledge that I don't have a response without having to swap back and forth between windows multiple times per turn.

Kami
04-27-2014, 11:28 AM
A built in keyboard or code to trigger the windows 8 keyboard on windows 8 tablets, I can play this on the Surface Pro 2 pretty decently but there is no onscreen keyboard support to allow for a full tablet experience.

This is something I don't see happening as virtual keyboard is built into Windows itself.

You are asking them to modify the PC client to run on a tablet version of Windows - I don't see this happening.

They will have dedicated clients for iOS and Android though but the Microsoft Surface Pro (and 2) are both running full-on Windows. Not quite the same scenario.

Littlejon24
04-27-2014, 11:40 AM
I have a suggestion I am sure the community would enjoy

1: in other highly played games, there is bonus currency applied to your purchase of premium currency to be used to buy products for the game (RP, Gold, and in this case, Platinum). I am unsure if there are plans to apply the same idea of a Bonus to your purchase, but I will say that from experience, I tend to buy into the higher brackets of currency because of those bonuses. I am sure the majority of the community would love to see this implemented.

Gwaer
04-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Nope. Will never happen. And is bad for the game. The reason is that plat is an actual currency. You can use it to buy things from other players. Devaluing it by removing 1p = $1 will hurt the collectibles market which is a huge part of the longevity of the game.

Kami
04-27-2014, 11:49 AM

1: in other highly played games, there is bonus currency applied to your purchase of premium currency to be used to buy products for the game (RP, Gold, and in this case, Platinum). I am unsure if there are plans to apply the same idea of a Bonus to your purchase, but I will say that from experience, I tend to buy into the higher brackets of currency because of those bonuses. I am sure the majority of the community would love to see this implemented.

Cory's statement:

There will NEVER be a volume discount on platinum, we have to maintain a strong baseline for the economy if we want your virtual collectables to hold value. Also the set amounts have to do with the payment gateways, the rules and regulations that surround selling a virtual currency in multiple international markets simultaneously is... Well pretty f.ing complex, and the rules are very specific. :)

From this, we can infer there will never be a bonus on top of platinum either as the net effect would be similar, if not the same.

Yoss
04-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Agreed with OP and especially Gwaer's post 3 about the chat being horrible right now and needing lots of work. Even Battle.net from the late 1990's was significantly better and that's 15 years old.

incitfulmonk21
04-27-2014, 04:57 PM

I could maybe get behind something like extra gold for more plat purchases but I will never get behind bulk plat discounts as it greatly hurts the collectibles market and behind PvE was the greatest draw to this game and the reason I can see myself playing this forever or till I die whichever comes first.

Niedar
04-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Agreed with OP and especially Gwaer's post 3 about the chat being horrible right now and needing lots of work. Even Battle.net from the late 1990's was significantly better and that's 15 years old.

Funny thing is, battle.net had better chat 15 years ago than it does now.