PDA

View Full Version : Help With Deckbuilding Please!

Tension
04-27-2014, 12:55 AM
Hi there

I'm a newish player to Hex. I had a play around in alpha and made a couple of decks to play against the AI, but I didn't really have the time to investigate the game properly. With Beta starting and most of the bugs ironed out, I tink I'm ready to start thinking about the kind of decks that I want to build. After a bit of tinkering with the cards currently in my card pool, I've come up with this:

Dimmid
4x Adamanthian Scrivener
3x Shield Trainer
2x Kraken Guard Mariner
4x Righteous Paladin
2x Lord Benjamin, the Wise
4x Protectorate Clergyman
4x Buccaneer
2x Hero of Adamanth
1x Prophet of Lodegan

4x Inner Conflict
3x Oracle Song
2x Diamond Aura

13x Diamond
12x Sapphire

As you can see, this is pretty much just two of the Diamond-Sapphire starter decks mashed together. I'm aware that some of the cards are suboptimal(I'd rather have Repels instead of Diamond Auras for example), and that I'm missing a couple of good Diamond cards like Stoneskin, but I figure this is a fairly solid foundation.

I'm aware that I'm mixing two themes; inspire and lifedrain, so I should probably focus on just one of those. I think I'd quite like to make an inspire or human based deck(using cards like Hero of Adamanth). My question is, what cards should I look at acquiring to make this kind of deck work? I'm looking at getting copies of Cerulean Mirror Knight, Stoneskin, Repel, Blessing of the Fallen perhaps Legionnaire of Gawaine. Are there any others? Also, what is some good advice for a beginner deckbuilder? I don't have much experience with the Hex mana system, having come from a background of Yu-gi-oh.

Thanks for any and all help, I really appreciate it :)

Gwaer
04-27-2014, 02:30 AM
It's too late and I don't think I'll be much help tonight, but you'd probably have more luck in the strategy and deck lists section. Even though there's a bit of overlap, that dub forum seems more active.

one suggestion I'd make right off the bat is probably cutting the number of troops and grabbing more removal type spells.

Tinfoil
04-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Yes, a few repels is probably a good idea and maybe lose an inner conflict or two. I think it is a pretty solid base (I assume you also have a limited cardpool), but I would adjust the ratio of the troops. Scriviner, Shield Trainer, Kraken Guard Mariner, Lord Benjam, and Buccaneer are troops that enable your own deck, but doesn't provide any serious pressure. Having a handful of solid 4-drops to put pressure on your opponent, would make it stronger I think.

apocdragon
04-27-2014, 08:40 PM
I love Inspire decks. The only problem is if they hit the graveyard, then they are useless. That is unless you find a Blessing of the Fallen and have at least one copy of those in the deck. As for the deck you have listed, Righteous Paladin does not fit. Righteous Paladin is only good in a deck that features life gain like a Lifedrain deck. The only Lifedrain you have is Dimmid, and that is not enough to support Righteous Paladin. Adamanthian Scrivener is also a target that your opponent will remove as fast as they can. Not because of Righteous Paladin, but because they do not like the life gain effect.

Beyond that, most Inspire decks work off a theme and are used mostly to power-up the bombs or to make bombs. An example is that I have a Sapphire/Diamond/Ruby Inspire deck that has Royal Falconer as a bomb. While by himself he is no bomb, he becomes one when you boost his attack which in turns boosts his Royal Falcons. I suggest that you look at the cards you have and see what cards that are at the 4 and 5 range you could play that could become a bomb. Prophet of Lodegan cost 7, so you may not be able to play him in most games against decks that cause Inspire decks trouble.

My main suggestion is to look at your cards and see if you can piece together one theme and go from there. The deck you have can be used as a base to many different decks. If you stay with humans, then you may want to keep Hero of Adamanth and look out for Ascetic Aspirant. If you pull him from a pack, then it will help any deck that has Diamond in it. Just keep in mind that he will be target #1 when he is played.

As for your Shard layout, anywhere between 24 and 25 shards is good for a deck. You should only venture out of that range if you deem you can and need to. With multicolor decks like the one you posted, you need to have 4 Shard of Fate in your deck. If you do not have 4, then as much as you have. You will also need to count Icons to figure out which Shard you are more heavy in and have more of them in it. An example is that the deck you have listed has 29 Diamond Icons and 11 Sapphire Icons. That is near to a 3:1 ratio. This means that a better Shard count would be 18 Diamond and 7 Sapphire. If you have 4 Shard of Fate in your deck, then just remove 2 from both. So, you would have 16 Diamond, 5 Sapphire, and 4 Shard of Fate.

I hope this is at least some what helpful.

rjselzler
04-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Here are the changes I would make:

Dimmid
4x Adamanthian Scrivener
4x Shield Trainer (+1)
2x Kraken Guard Mariner
4x Righteous Paladin
3x Lord Benjamin, the Wise (+1)
4x Buccaneer
2x Hero of Adamanth

4x Solitary Exile
4x Stoneskin
1x Oracle Song

15x Diamond
9x Sapphire

I would take out Inner Conflict and Diamond Aura completely. In your deck, Solitary Exile is going to do everything Inner conflict does and more. Oblivion Ring is a staple in this type of white weenie desk in MtG for a reason. Stoneskin can protect an otherwise vulnerable Paladin/Hero. I'd favor cutting a few of the Oracle song and increasing the Lord Benjamin count by one; he's a great draw engine.

You might also consider going the Incantation of Righteousness (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=459&color=D) route. That can really provide some gas in this lifegain/aggro shell. I think that is a better route than Inspire.dec, but that's personal taste. If you do that, then cut Clergyman for Ponies (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=315&color=D). Similarly, I like Angel (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=351&color=D)over Hero.

Tension
04-30-2014, 04:15 AM
It's too late and I don't think I'll be much help tonight, but you'd probably have more luck in the strategy and deck lists section. Even though there's a bit of overlap, that dub forum seems more active.

one suggestion I'd make right off the bat is probably cutting the number of troops and grabbing more removal type spells.

Thanks, it looks like a mod has already moved it.

Yeah, after looking at the advice everyone else has given as well, I have waaaay too many troops in my deck, woops haha.

Yes, a few repels is probably a good idea and maybe lose an inner conflict or two. I think it is a pretty solid base (I assume you also have a limited cardpool), but I would adjust the ratio of the troops. Scriviner, Shield Trainer, Kraken Guard Mariner, Lord Benjam, and Buccaneer are troops that enable your own deck, but doesn't provide any serious pressure. Having a handful of solid 4-drops to put pressure on your opponent, would make it stronger I think.

I see what you mean in regards to enablers and pressuring cards. What do you suggest would be a good number of 'enablers' to stick with in a deck like this? I'm thinking of taking out scrivener and righteous paladin, so that will give me room to put in more powerful cards.

I love Inspire decks. The only problem is if they hit the graveyard, then they are useless. That is unless you find a Blessing of the Fallen and have at least one copy of those in the deck. As for the deck you have listed, Righteous Paladin does not fit. Righteous Paladin is only good in a deck that features life gain like a Lifedrain deck. The only Lifedrain you have is Dimmid, and that is not enough to support Righteous Paladin. Adamanthian Scrivener is also a target that your opponent will remove as fast as they can. Not because of Righteous Paladin, but because they do not like the life gain effect.

Beyond that, most Inspire decks work off a theme and are used mostly to power-up the bombs or to make bombs. An example is that I have a Sapphire/Diamond/Ruby Inspire deck that has Royal Falconer as a bomb. While by himself he is no bomb, he becomes one when you boost his attack which in turns boosts his Royal Falcons. I suggest that you look at the cards you have and see what cards that are at the 4 and 5 range you could play that could become a bomb. Prophet of Lodegan cost 7, so you may not be able to play him in most games against decks that cause Inspire decks trouble.

My main suggestion is to look at your cards and see if you can piece together one theme and go from there. The deck you have can be used as a base to many different decks. If you stay with humans, then you may want to keep Hero of Adamanth and look out for Ascetic Aspirant. If you pull him from a pack, then it will help any deck that has Diamond in it. Just keep in mind that he will be target #1 when he is played.

As for your Shard layout, anywhere between 24 and 25 shards is good for a deck. You should only venture out of that range if you deem you can and need to. With multicolor decks like the one you posted, you need to have 4 Shard of Fate in your deck. If you do not have 4, then as much as you have. You will also need to count Icons to figure out which Shard you are more heavy in and have more of them in it. An example is that the deck you have listed has 29 Diamond Icons and 11 Sapphire Icons. That is near to a 3:1 ratio. This means that a better Shard count would be 18 Diamond and 7 Sapphire. If you have 4 Shard of Fate in your deck, then just remove 2 from both. So, you would have 16 Diamond, 5 Sapphire, and 4 Shard of Fate.

I hope this is at least some what helpful.

Wow, thanks so much for all your advice, it's really insightful! I just have a couple of questions...

- You said that Royal Falconer is a really good bomb in your inspire deck. I see that he synergises very well because he creates card advantage by himself while at the same time taking advantage of other inspire cards on the field and in the graveyard(if Blessing the Fallen is present). Is it these two things I should be looking for in a good bomb for this deck, or are there other factors that I should be looking for?

- Can you please explain to me why Ascetic Aspirant is so good? I get that The Transcended is very very powerful, but to me it seems that you need a deck built around it to make use of it. Am I wrong in saying this?

- Your explanation of shards makes a great deal of sense to me, thank you! Two things though: By icon do you mean threshold? Also, if my colours are on different parts of the mana curve - say majority of 1-3 are sapphires whereas majority of 4+ are diamonds - should my shard count reflect this?

Here are the changes I would make:

Dimmid
4x Adamanthian Scrivener
4x Shield Trainer (+1)
2x Kraken Guard Mariner
4x Righteous Paladin
3x Lord Benjamin, the Wise (+1)
4x Buccaneer
2x Hero of Adamanth

4x Solitary Exile
4x Stoneskin
1x Oracle Song

15x Diamond
9x Sapphire

I would take out Inner Conflict and Diamond Aura completely. In your deck, Solitary Exile is going to do everything Inner conflict does and more. Oblivion Ring is a staple in this type of white weenie desk in MtG for a reason. Stoneskin can protect an otherwise vulnerable Paladin/Hero. I'd favor cutting a few of the Oracle song and increasing the Lord Benjamin count by one; he's a great draw engine.

You might also consider going the Incantation of Righteousness (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=459&color=D) route. That can really provide some gas in this lifegain/aggro shell. I think that is a better route than Inspire.dec, but that's personal taste. If you do that, then cut Clergyman for Ponies (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=315&color=D). Similarly, I like Angel (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=351&color=D)over Hero.

Just to clarify, am I right in saying that Solitary Exile always > Inner Conflict unless I am not confident I can consistently get two diamond thesholds(like in draft)?

Also, could you please explain to me why you think Lord Benjamin is a better draw engine than Oracle Song? I would have thought that Oracle Song is better, since it doesn't need to attack to gain card advantage.

It doesn't look like I'll be going along the route of lifedrain, but thanks heaps for your ideas (I think the Angels of Dawn are a little out of my price range though!)

Thanks so much for your advice so far guys, I've learnt so much. Sorry for all the silly questions :S

Tinfoil
04-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Okay, I will try to answer some of your questions, but first... In this game its hard to provide definiate answers about the "strength" of cards, since it depends on a lot stuff. So yeah, soltary exile is better in many cases than inner conflict, but its a constant and it has double threshold, so it also has drawbacks. Inner conflict is good against Claw of the Mountain God, but doesn't do anything against Ancestors Chosen or Wild Root Dancer, therefore its good to have something that can remove troops. Sappers Charge is a possibility since its easy to get, but I don't think its a must.

If you wanna keep the Paladins include Ivory Pawn and perhaps a few lifegain troops like the Cloud Knight or Phoenix Aeronaut (lifegain gem), otherwise that and Scriviner can be replaced.

About Shard distribution, I think there is an article on Hextcgpro.com about hypergeometric distribution, but apart from that, you can't just have your shards reflect your threshold distribution, you also need to consider when you want a particular shard like you mentioned. When you have both Lord Benjamin and Paladin, you want to maximise the chance that you get at least 2 diamond shards and 1 sapphire shard in your first 3 turns (approx. 10 cards). 15/9 like rjselzler suggest sounds reasonably for you current build.

Pressure: you have a couple of bombs, but you can't count on winning the game with just a single powerful troop, so you need pressure. You can get it from the paladins, but then you need more lifegain like previously stated and you could perhaps also include Incantation of Rightiousness. Otherwise in the 4-drop range we have troops like Chimera Guard Outrider, Lord Adam, Sureshot Shellsafe and Ascetic Aspirant (for humans). Since you have Kraken Guard Mariner, you might wanna include Droos Colossal Walker if you have it.

In any case, experimenting is the best way to learn, so play around with this, then try out something different and come back to this.

rjselzler
04-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Just to clarify, am I right in saying that Solitary Exile always > Inner Conflict unless I am not confident I can consistently get two diamond thesholds(like in draft)?

That's my perspective.

Also, could you please explain to me why you think Lord Benjamin is a better draw engine than Oracle Song? I would have thought that Oracle Song is better, since it doesn't need to attack to gain card advantage.

If you aren't attacking with this type of deck, you are probably losing, anyway.

Pros: Benjamin comes down a turn earlier and keeps you "drawing" each turn, all while doing one evasive damage a turn. Similarly, to a lesser degree, he filters so you aren't just drawing two resources, but rather you are drawing gas to put pressure on. After a wipe, he can rebuild your board fairly quickly without an answer.

Cons: Heis draw can wiff. It sucks. He can also be removed before even a single attack, thereby getting no value (aside from them wasting removal on a 1/1 flier.

It doesn't look like I'll be going along the route of lifedrain, but thanks heaps for your ideas (I think the Angels of Dawn are a little out of my price range though!)

Thanks so much for your advice so far guys, I've learnt so much. Sorry for all the silly questions :S

Fair enough. They are getting spendier. I opened two, so I am pretty happy. Good luck! Post results!

Jyndreytu
05-01-2014, 12:13 PM
What rares are available to you besides the Lord Benjamins? I would initially say Cerulean Mentalist and Spearcliff Cloud Knights are good additions (first card I would cut is Hero of Adamanth), but I don't want to make suggestions you aren't able to take advantage of.

Tension
05-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Okay, I will try to answer some of your questions, but first... In this game its hard to provide definiate answers about the "strength" of cards, since it depends on a lot stuff. So yeah, soltary exile is better in many cases than inner conflict, but its a constant and it has double threshold, so it also has drawbacks. Inner conflict is good against Claw of the Mountain God, but doesn't do anything against Ancestors Chosen or Wild Root Dancer, therefore its good to have something that can remove troops. Sappers Charge is a possibility since its easy to get, but I don't think its a must.

If you wanna keep the Paladins include Ivory Pawn and perhaps a few lifegain troops like the Cloud Knight or Phoenix Aeronaut (lifegain gem), otherwise that and Scriviner can be replaced.

About Shard distribution, I think there is an article on Hextcgpro.com about hypergeometric distribution, but apart from that, you can't just have your shards reflect your threshold distribution, you also need to consider when you want a particular shard like you mentioned. When you have both Lord Benjamin and Paladin, you want to maximise the chance that you get at least 2 diamond shards and 1 sapphire shard in your first 3 turns (approx. 10 cards). 15/9 like rjselzler suggest sounds reasonably for you current build.

Pressure: you have a couple of bombs, but you can't count on winning the game with just a single powerful troop, so you need pressure. You can get it from the paladins, but then you need more lifegain like previously stated and you could perhaps also include Incantation of Rightiousness. Otherwise in the 4-drop range we have troops like Chimera Guard Outrider, Lord Adam, Sureshot Shellsafe and Ascetic Aspirant (for humans). Since you have Kraken Guard Mariner, you might wanna include Droos Colossal Walker if you have it.

In any case, experimenting is the best way to learn, so play around with this, then try out something different and come back to this.

Awesome man, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into those cards :)

If you aren't attacking with this type of deck, you are probably losing, anyway.

Pros: Benjamin comes down a turn earlier and keeps you "drawing" each turn, all while doing one evasive damage a turn. Similarly, to a lesser degree, he filters so you aren't just drawing two resources, but rather you are drawing gas to put pressure on. After a wipe, he can rebuild your board fairly quickly without an answer.

Cons: Heis draw can wiff. It sucks. He can also be removed before even a single attack, thereby getting no value (aside from them wasting removal on a 1/1 flier.

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for taking the time to explain, it's really helpful to get other, more experienced insights on cards :)

What rares are available to you besides the Lord Benjamins? I would initially say Cerulean Mentalist and Spearcliff Cloud Knights are good additions (first card I would cut is Hero of Adamanth), but I don't want to make suggestions you aren't able to take advantage of.

Um, at the moment I haven't opened any of my boosters because I want to wait until drafts come out. I think playsets of legendaries are out of my range, and I'd only want to get playsets of the more expensive rares if I know I want them kind of thing. E.g. Mentalist I can get my hands on, but would be more hesitant to go for the cloud nights at the moment.