PDA

View Full Version : Criticisms of the sounds so far.

Zomnivore
04-27-2014, 01:27 AM
This isn't really 100% necessary I think we all know that some of the sound effects are a bit janky...just would like to note though that I don't think troops need unique sound effects for when they go into play.

I personally play with the sound off (partially because some of the sounds are a little annoying), but when I was watching a streamer I'm pretty sure I heard what sounded like clip-art, but for audio...so whatever the audio version of that is... of some sort of animal roar, almost like playing poke'mon.

I think thats going a bit too far, I don't mind generic sort of enterplay sounds, but when you start getting into specific animals, I think it adds a bit of a tacky feeling to the game, and it also increases the amount of assets you have to generate to make a card.

I would rather you do a generic synth sound for cards entering play, if you had to do it at all.

pheedsta
04-27-2014, 01:40 AM
I tend to agree with you. A good sound effect for each legendary card is enough for me.

Malakili
04-27-2014, 01:42 AM
One thing I would like is that when you have multiple attacks happening at the same time, that the sound effect just plays once. It seems like it "stacks" or something right now and it can get pretty harsh on your ears.

Zomnivore
04-27-2014, 01:49 AM
I also understand that cards are a visual medium, and that you spent the majority of your assets, on visual art assets.

I think less is more in this case, because your capacity to create truly vivid sounds for every card to create a compelling visceral emotional effect just isn't there yet.

I think a more "mature" but simplified sound footprint like with your turn thing's mellow tecnho *be'bow* is fine, and where you should be digging into your tunes. Keep things sort of in that softer tone area, and less tinny.

I like the sort of synth sword unsheathing sound from the assault phase, and the sounds for when an enemy passes priority.

I think those are keepers too. But your wood block, getting thumped-champion-ability button sound needs work, and so do your priority pass button clicks.

I would go so far as to say, maybe sell a sound pack to directly fund more diverse, richer sounds...if you need additional funding for your sound budget, couple it into supporting a sound track and I'm sure people would jump-en-it.

Khazrakh
04-27-2014, 02:02 AM
I would go so far as to say, maybe sell a sound pack to directly fund more diverse, richer sounds...if you need additional funding for your sound budget, couple it into supporting a sound track and I'm sure people would jump-en-it.

I would in an instant ;)

Still I wouldn't say the sounds are generally bad/generic. There are a lot of sounds I like and that, in my opinion, fit the troop very well. But I have to agree that some sounds really need some work and should best be removed until they can be replaced with something more fitting.

MasterN64
04-27-2014, 02:09 AM
I dont really have any issues with the sounds as it is.

Kroan
04-27-2014, 02:15 AM
Huh. That's weird. I really like the come into play sound effects for cards. It adds flavor for me.

Gwaer
04-27-2014, 02:20 AM
The sound quality definitely needs work to my ears. I'd prefer they started with really solid sounds for the general game noises, then some really good legendary sounds. The sound pack idea is good, if they can develop quality sounds for it for a reasonable price. I'm sure the sounds keep improving though.

trapline
04-27-2014, 03:15 AM
I usually turn the sound off, I think my issues with some of the card effects are that they don't fade in and out enough, or play long enough, so they tend to sound more like chirps and chimes than actually reactions to anything playing on screen. They also sound a bit tiny, and Orcs...well I'm not sure exactly what that sound is ..a hire a half decent voice guy, or someone in the office that should do some lines and just have them say something that helps tell the story, nothing fancy. A darkspire Enforcer could just growl out some line like "By the will of darkspire" or something, V/O can add a lot.

Gridian
04-27-2014, 03:19 AM
OP, have you played early Alpha? Let me tell you that the sound effects got MUCH better already - In early Alpha I got sometimes aftaid that I might develop ear cancer.
Agreed, they still need work, but this is very early Beta and thinking back to other online-based games the sound effects get improved over the entire lifecycle of the game. Be patient, it'll get much, much better over the years. Also bear in mind that the sound effects work and therefore are somewhat far down the to-to-list of the devs at this time :-)

Aradon
04-27-2014, 03:45 AM
I agree, noticed very quickly that the quality of the sound assets seemed pretty low to me. It's not a case of too many assets, because in Hearthstone, pretty much all cards have enters-play sound effects, and Hearthstone sounds great. I also don't think it's a volume-mixing issue. What I suspect is that the sound effects sound poor because they don't fit in with the rest of Hex's audio. Hearthstone's effects have character, and perfectly match the visual aesthetic. Hex's sound too generic, almost throwaway.

I apologize to the team members that created & implemented the effects, because that's pretty harsh criticism, but I do think this is a point that stands out.

Guap
04-27-2014, 04:37 AM
I think sounds are ok for now, I'd much rather they spent their time getting tournaments stable than worrying about sounds. 4 days without a draft really sucks. I'm sure they'll get around to polishing sounds at some point but it's probably way down the list.

Zomnivore
04-27-2014, 03:30 PM
OP, have you played early Alpha?

I've noticed the quality of the sounds improve since alpha too, I begain muting game sound in alpha so...there's that.

I just don't like the sort of sound they developed for a few of the features in game.

There are all sorts of examples in gameing of cool clicky sounds to gain inspiration from and to sort of aim towards getting a similar effect, so I don't think this is going to be a long term problem.

I do think that sound is another sort of field that card game guys whom may have access to a lot of the visual art side of the medium might not know enough of to keep the quality similar.

Blizzard has a ton of experience with games that have sounds, and I think its a bit too hard to try to out compete with them on cool effects like that.

Sound and audio assets do cost money, a good deal of money, and I do believe they just didn't have enough to do the things people coming from a game like hearthstone may expect.

Hearthstone raised the audio-bar for card games quite a deal, and I think thats a good thing. Hopefully CZE can match it eventually, and raise it themselves in time.

You also have to understand that Hearthstones sounds were keyed into the design, the entire game was framed around a visceral quick snappy experience, and they made certain that the sound design was doing its part to create that.

Sound in Hex is sort of a supporting feature, but its in no way near the same level of priority as it is in Hearthstone where you have flashy animations, and cool sounds, to keep people feelings the impact of plays, and actions.

I think Hex is a more subtle calmer strategy game, so a flashy, bombastic noise footprint doesn't really make sense to me.

I believe Hex is staying away from too many sounds by making them legendary only things, but if they can't get those sounds nailed down efficiently, I'd rather they hold off, and feel like they have more room to tune the audio of the game later.

ZacPhoenix
04-27-2014, 04:03 PM
I'd like the opposite of what some of you are saying, which is that I'd like everything to have sound. Look at Hearthstone. Everything makes sound, and it creates a wonderful, living, lively atmosphere. What is jarring in HEX is the periods of silence punctuated by irregular sound effects.

DanTheMeek
04-27-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm in the "I like that they have sound, but admit most of the current sounds aren't very good" camp. The idea of having unique come into play effects for every card is one I can really get behind, its another way they're taking advantage of the fact that the cards are truly virtual, and it makes cards seem that much more worth the real money you have to spent to get them. In hex, when you buy a card, you're not just buying a picture with stats, but a double back, a unique come into play effect, and possibly more. It's the little things like this which can really separate another "me too" DTCG from one that clearly strives to be the best. Still, if sounds are poorly implemented for feel rushed, the good intentions can end up actually being a negative. Nothings worse then spending time and money on adding a feature that actually hurts the gaming experience.

I kind of feel like the sounds take me back to the original pokemon, where the show made me expect "Pika-pee!" but what I got in game was "bzzztmwrrrng". Some are better or worse then others, but the fact that I still randomly quote Warcraft 1 (not 2, not 3, not WoW but the original I got for my dad's old windows 3.1 machine) is proof that dumb short little phrases can be EXTREMELY memorable and add a ton if done right. Right now, I don't have a single come into play sound that's memorable for me (other then maybe Servant of Shathak as I described it to a friend as the Overlord sound from Starcraft since he didn't have his sound on when he had summoned it against me and now I always think of over lords when its played), and that saddens me as good come into play sounds or short voice clips really could add to the already great character these cards have (just so long as players always have the option to turn them off if they're sick of hearing them).

Edit: I would be fine, by the way, if the sounds were made higher quality but only for legendary cards. I'd also find it pretty cool if you had to "level up" your card to get its sound or if leveling it up unlocked the ability to use a different or longer sound clip, but thats mostly just wishful thinking.

FlyingMeatchip
04-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Heat Wave sounds like rush hour outside Cryptozoic Offices

Werlix
04-27-2014, 06:30 PM
I think sounds are ok for now, I'd much rather they spent their time getting tournaments stable than worrying about sounds. 4 days without a draft really sucks. I'm sure they'll get around to polishing sounds at some point but it's probably way down the list.

Audio Engineers don't work on tournament stability.

I think some of the effects are starting to sound good but there's still a bunch that could have work done on them. And the massive stacking damage sound is a tad annoying and painful when wearing headphones :eek: I do like the idea of unique sounds for cards though. Some of the newer ones they've added like Pact of Pain are really nice.

Arbiter
04-27-2014, 07:51 PM
You really shouldn't be comparing to Hearthstone, though. Individual sound effects and animations for each card take a lot of development time. There is not the time to do this for every card, given how frequent Hex wants to do set releases. Remember the first set release for HS is 30 cards, and they have said nothing about any big releases in the pipeline.

Hieronymous
04-27-2014, 08:07 PM
I'd like to be able to turn off the clicks from chat.

IndigoShade
04-27-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm really hoping HEX can recreate some of the feeling I get when playing legendaries in Hearthstone. They're different games, I get it - you don't have to defend HEX to me. When Ysera floats off the table and a green portal opens up and makes this sound that tells your opponent "something just came through there, and it's probably not good news for you", that's just cool. I realize it's still beta, and there are more important things to do first (fixing tournaments), but little things like this just make the experience more enjoyable.

Anyway, I can definitely see how sound & particle effects can go terribly wrong if it's either over the top to the point of just being obnoxious, or done so poorly that it would be better off not done at all. So I'm all for them taking their time to get it right.

Gwaer
04-27-2014, 08:20 PM
I agree. I'd like legendarily to have motion effects like in dotp as well as fancy particle effects like in HS.

knightofeffect
04-27-2014, 09:36 PM
I have played Hex on mute since day 1 of alpha; hell, I even play HS on mute and it has excellent sound production (really production in general). I unmuted Hex during beta since improved sounds was in the patch notes and was absolutely less-than-impressed with the results. At this point, I think the quality of the sound hurts the game more than it helps.

And I agree Gwaer, the motion and particle effect in HS would be really good in any dTCG.

bactgudz
04-29-2014, 01:30 PM
My problem with the sounds is that even with all 3 bars set all the way to the left in settings, it still plays sounds when starting the client and for certain client/game actions such as when a resource is played. I should be able to turn the sound completely off.

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 01:32 PM
My problem with the sounds is that even with all 3 bars set all the way to the left in settings, it still plays sounds when starting the client and for certain client/game actions such as when a resource is played. I should be able to turn the sound completely off.

I think that can be classed as a bug. A very long living bug.

But to everyone here, one of the sound tech guys just made a post saying that there should be an upcoming wave of improvements. So something to look forward to.

Hieronymous
05-03-2014, 05:13 AM
There needs to be a way to turn sound on and off during matches.

Nekrabyte
05-03-2014, 05:40 AM
i love the sounds.... some of them might seem a bit - off, but i love that they are in there and love the flavor they add.

WildStyle
05-03-2014, 07:00 AM
Some sounds are out of place can't disagree with that, but what bugs me is that the music that loops ends with a half finished bang and starts over to a really calm start...Why would you do that? Loop the song properly why don't ya? Ya need to make it so that the end is the beginning of the start rather then the end never really end it is ripped of and then there is start...

Zomnivore
05-03-2014, 07:18 AM
The other problem of every card having a sound is.... you have 60 card decks 36 cards of which (usually ish) are going to be playing some sort of sound.

Thats a lot of combinations, a lot of A LOT of room to screw up, make some jumbled mess thats annoying to listen to.

Thats a huge production problem to tackle with a limited budget and such n how. Making an entire sets worth of sounds, good is enough of a hurdle, now you're asking for them to sound good over a long period of time, in a jumbled mess.

Although I do find the idea of a sound-themed deck interesting, I don't think its worth the cost of admission yet.

skalapunk
05-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Some good arguments here.

I don't care either way and don't need the sound effects, but I will say that there is something that makes the game feel 'alive' in Hearthstone for example, when the troops and spells have unique sound effects. I really appreciated it and felt like it was a good use of the digital format.