PDA

View Full Version : The FAQ

Xenavire
04-27-2014, 06:40 PM
http://f31812b0b389f16c3943-bb9edd4f1582b9b60c1682bd9d280aa0.r48.cf2.rackcdn.c om/HEX_FAQ_1-3.pdf

OK, I think the FAQ has been somewhat overlooked, but I have already found a few gems.

Heres a huge one:

Cosmic Totem, 1, Artifact
, Void this artifact Shuffle target champion's graveyard into target champion's deck.

You can target two different champions, shuffling one champion’s graveyard into another
champion’s deck.

An argument ender:

Daring Swordsman, 4, , Troop—Human Rogue
This troop deals double damage.

If Daring Swordsman has Crush, it will determine if its damage should be split before the
damage is doubled

Gotta love the humour:

The Mushwocky, 4, , Troop—Shroomkin Mutant, 1 /1
As The Mushwocky enters play, if it is hungry*, you may sacrifice any number of Shin'hare. The
Mushwocky gets permanent +3 /+3 for each Shin'hare sacrificed this way.

The Mushwocky is always hungry.

(Seriuosly, why in the FAQ? It is already on the card.)

And proof of fixed exploits:

Angel of Dawn, 5, , Troop—Avatar of Hope, 4 /4
Flight, Steadfast <p> : When you draw this card, if it's the first card you drew this turn, play it for
free.

If you draw Angel of Dawn during another player’s turn, you can play it for free if it’s the
first card you drew that turn.

The Angel of Dawn must still be in your hand when the trigger resolves to play it

(At least I hope it is fixed.)

This FAQ is great! Only it didn't explain about whether Gore feast stacks or not. Would have been a nice one to know for sure.

Zomnivore
04-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Could you explain what

Daring Swordsman, 4, , Troop—Human Rogue
This troop deals double damage.

If Daring Swordsman has Crush, it will determine if its damage should be split before the
damage is doubled

means? I don't quite understand what this does.

Quasari
04-27-2014, 06:58 PM
It means if you buff your Daring Swordsman to 4/4 and hit a 1/3, it'll designate 3 damage to the troop and 1 damage to the champion. That will then double to 6 damage on the troop and 2 to the champion. Instead of it doubling before designating, in which it would deal 3 damage to the troop and 5 damage to the champion.

Xenavire
04-27-2014, 07:04 PM
It means if you buff your Daring Swordsman to 4/4 and hit a 1/3, it'll designate 3 damage to the troop and 1 damage to the champion. That will then double to 6 damage on the troop and 2 to the champion. Instead of it doubling before designating, in which it would deal 3 damage to the troop and 5 damage to the champion.

Exactly this. Except it has to have crush obviously. But the FAQ is filled with gems, worth a full read.

ossuary
04-27-2014, 08:56 PM
I say again, and will continue to say every time I see anyone discussing it, CZE is using damage multipliers logically and logistically wrong. This application will make it IMPOSSIBLE for a trouble with a percent reduction to damage to ever successfully kill anything - which means they can never, ever allow you to reduce damage a troop does as a multiplier. Bad idea to limit design space, even aside from the fact that it doesn't make logical sense to do it this way.

Damage multipliers MUST be applied as the final step BEFORE damage is dealt, not added on after damage is assigned. Please, please, please, CZE - listen and rethink this. It is a mistake.

Gwaer
04-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Multiplier reductions sound pretty dumb anyway. You'd want static integer reductions in pretty much every case I can think of.

its not like it's something have can't be altered later as a rules change without altering card text if it becomes a problem. For whatever reason they feel this implementation is best. It's certainly not a disaster by any stretch.

Patrigan
04-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm currently working to ut the FAQ on the wiki, so that you will never have to look at the FAQ again. Already halfway the cards (from bottom up).

Will also make pages for the special concepts, like the pet master relationship.

Royal Falconer has some really sweet interactions, btw.

ossuary
04-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Multiplier reductions sound pretty dumb anyway. You'd want static integer reductions in pretty much every case I can think of.

its not like it's something have can't be altered later as a rules change without altering card text if it becomes a problem. For whatever reason they feel this implementation is best. It's certainly not a disaster by any stretch.

Constant: "Your opponent's troops do half damage."

You can't use integers when it applies to everything at once. You have to use modifiers in that case. That's why Te'Talca says what she says. Percent modifiers are mandatory vs. an integer when you're talking about any more than a single target.

I say again: it's dumb to cut off even the possibility. The method of applied modifiers they're using WILL cause problems, the damage reduction is just a single example. It's a bad idea and they should seriously rethink it. Any engineer or mathematician worth their salt should have told them that in 2 seconds.

Gwaer
04-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Unless you're missing a piece of the puzzle. Like for example, before any effects like up talking about are in the game we will have the ability to manually assign our damage however we would like, like in mtg.

ossuary
04-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Once they put that in, it would basically be swapping out for the screen we currently have where we choose the order to do damage in. The way the FAQ is written, the reductions would still take place AFTER that (meaning everything you tried to deal damage to wouldn't die unless you had assigned extra damage to it, and crush damage would get negated since the troop didn't get killed).

It's a bad system, period.

Gwaer
04-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Assigning gotta damage is the point of that window. And things would die, you just have to account for the penalty.

Aradon
04-28-2014, 03:45 AM
"Some effects set a champion’s health to a given value. Such affects are not considered to be
gaining or losing health, so Emberspire Witch will not stop them."

Here's a subtle difference from MtG. In MtG, setting a life total is considered to be gaining or losing the appropriate amount of life, but not in Hex.

Showsni
04-28-2014, 04:11 AM
(meaning everything you tried to deal damage to wouldn't die unless you had assigned extra damage to it, and crush damage would get negated since the troop didn't get killed).

It's a bad system, period.

Isn't this already how Magic works? If I attack with a 5/5, and my opponent blocks with Grizzly Bears (2/2) and Llanowar Elves (1/1), I order them Grizzly Bears then Llanowar Elves, and my opponent plays Healing Salve to prevent the next 3 damage dealt to the Bears - I can either assign 2 to the Bears and 3 to the Elves, and the Bears survive thanks to the Salve by the Elves die, or I can assign all 5 to the Bears, meaning it will actually die, but the Elves will survive.

So long as Hex has a system in place where you can choose to assign more damage to a blocker than would be necessary to kill it, it should be fine. (If Hex doesn't have such a system then "Prevent X damage" effects are going to be stronger than they are in Magic... A single Samite Healer would always be able to save the first troop in a double block situation!)

Patrigan
04-28-2014, 06:03 AM
Good news everyone!

EVERYTHING (and already a bit more) in the FAQ has been added to the wiki.

If you wonder about Angel of Dawn, just go to her page : http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Angel_of_Dawn
Want to know how much Righteous Paladin would be buffed : http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Righteous_Paladin
Need to know when the Mushwocky is hungry : http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/The_Mushwocky

But not only the cards, everything else has also been added. Just check http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Keywords
And all those special concepts? Well they're in there!
For example
http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Pet
http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Unique
We're now still working on getting everything better linked up, but in the future, going to the card in question will suffice. You should be able to click forward. For example in http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Reversion you can click for ward to the revert page.

There's still a lot a lot more to do, we will be expanding the pages with Frequently asked questions from right here on the forum. These additions will already go a long way in getting you the answers and we hope you will use the wiki as your primary source for answering questions.

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 06:10 AM
Nice work Patrigan. I should really promote you on my news site, get the wiki a few more views.

Patrigan
04-28-2014, 06:34 AM
Thanks Xenavire! Every bit of advertising is great!

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Sure thing, have you listed under affiliates (the wiki link). If there is anything big that you want me to promote (new wiki overhauls, set 2 cards, etc) just let me know and I will post about it.

Khazrakh
04-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Thank you very much for all the work you put into this Patrigan!

Patrigan
04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
For the record, the wiki is not just my work. It's everybody's work! Props go to everyone who has made any change to the wiki. You could all be among them, don't be shy!

Thraeg
04-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Glad they got this put up. Other interesting tidbits I noticed:

If Adamanthian Scrivener enters play under your control at the same time that a number of
other troops do, it will trigger once for each.

The card with Inspire must already be in play to inspire troops as they enter play. If an
effect is putting multiple cards into play at the same time, and one or more of those
cards has Inspire, they will not be able to inspire the troops entering play alongside
them.

This seems really inconsistent. It looks like they're drawing a distinction between cards with triggers that read "When" vs. those that read "As", but doesn't make much intuitive sense.

If Master Theory Crafter is used during the end phase of a turn, the War Bot will not be voided
until the end phase of the next turn begins.

Ugh. This was one of those ugly, inelegant corner cases in Magic that I really hoped they would have taken the opportunity to fix here.

Turtlewing
04-28-2014, 11:34 AM
I actually kind of like Hex's take on assigning damage, and how it impacts crush.

Choosing the order in which you hit your opponents is a lot less fiddly than assigning damage, and as long as the behavior is consistent people will learn to handle the edge cases.

Aradon
04-28-2014, 12:45 PM
This seems really inconsistent. It looks like they're drawing a distinction between cards with triggers that read "When" vs. those that read "As", but doesn't make much intuitive sense.

This works the same in Magic, and it becomes intuitive pretty quickly, once you're used to it. You are correct, there is a slight distinction between 'when' and 'as,' but it should be a very clear one. 'When' is a keyword that indicates a triggered ability. It will go on the chain once the event triggering it has taken place. In the case of Adamanthian Scrivener, your Scrivener enters the battlefield, and then once there, his ability triggers and goes on the chain.

However, Inspire is an ability that modifies another event, and is definitely not a triggered ability, but more akin to a replacement effect, and does not use the chain. 'As' indicates an event modification like this, and the significant difference is that the modification happens as part of the event, rather than afterwards. So an inspired troop is inspired AS it enters the battlefield. With Scrivener, there is a time frame where a troop enters the battlefield, but you have not gotten your 1 life yet, but with Inspire, there is no such time frame where a troop enters the battlefield but is not inspired.

If replacement effects and triggered abilities are quite distinct in your mind, then you'll find that ruling to be more intuitive.

I agree about the end-of-phase desync, though. I always find it quite counterintuitive, even if it logistically makes sense. The distinction between 'end of turn' and 'beginning of the end phase' was always an annoying one to track, for me.