PDA

View Full Version : Levels of interest for card collection app

pheedsta
04-27-2014, 07:51 PM
After playing hex through alpha and now beta, I have come to the conclusion I need an app that shows me all the cards in my collection and easily displays the cards I am missing (I am a little OCD and won't sleep until I have a full collection).

With that in mind, I have started designing an iPad app that will display all the cards in every set along with flags that let you know how many you have of each card and which ones you need to complete your collection. The app will allow you to quickly view card details from any set and have a feature to build and save decks (in case you want to build a deck during lunch at work). It will also include advanced filtering and will implement any future API's released by CZE if possible (linking the app to the AH would be awesome).

I know Kroan has an iPhone app that works well as a card database so I thought I would get your feedback on levels of interest for this app (I plan for it to be a very comprehensive tool to keep track of your collection)?

I am finishing a large project in July and would like to get started on this in August (hopefully finished by game release). Would love to hear your feedback and any features you would like to see in it.

pheedsta (aka Rhun)

Gwaer
04-27-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm very keen. I've been dabbling with making a jailbroken only app for my personal use that does exactly this. So I'd love for you to do it instead.

ThrawnOmega
04-27-2014, 08:09 PM
I'd love something like that. For now I'm manually keeping track on a paper list another user was kind enough to post in another thread.

Yoss
04-27-2014, 10:58 PM
I find it funny that you think excel is "paper". Man I'm old.

As for the app, I'd rather lobby CZE to get us an API so that you can design stuff to work directly off of in-game data.

pheedsta
04-27-2014, 11:21 PM
As for the app, I'd rather lobby CZE to get us an API so that you can design stuff to work directly off of in-game data.

That would be the ideal situation but I have a feeling an API is the last thing on their mind ATM. As it stands, this app would provide a central place (other than the game itself) to keep your collection information. If CZE did release an API, I would look at incorporating it into this app.

Of course, the future release of the game on tablets might make this app a bit obsolete...

Gwaer
04-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Offline support of the app could make it still a little worthwhile. But yea, hex being on tablets will be rough(for your app, it'll be awesome otherwise).

Kroan
04-28-2014, 12:26 AM
I'm planning to include an option to track your collection through my existing app by the way along with obvious advanced filtering. Until then you can use my created Excel Sheet to track your collection:
https://t.co/o9Zfgzh7Kq

Aldri
04-28-2014, 12:34 AM
If CZE doesn't intend on releasing an API, wouldn't it be nice if we all developpers would do something like this (centralizing cards data)? It shouldn't be very hard to implement, the only "hard" part is collecting the cards pictures and filling the database with cards mechanics

Athravan
04-28-2014, 01:02 AM
I'd obviously prefer an in-game collection, or an API to work directly from my account, but if these things aren't possible, I would use an Ipad app for sure.

Kroan
04-28-2014, 01:15 AM
I'd obviously prefer an in-game collection, or an API to work directly from my account, but if these things aren't possible, I would use an Ipad app for sure.

They will continue improve the ingame UI and also the collection manager of course. No doubt about it.

pheedsta
04-28-2014, 01:47 AM
I'm planning to include an option to track your collection through my existing app by the way along with obvious advanced filtering.

It might be a better idea for me to just spend my time drafting. That would definitely be more fun :D

Kroan
04-28-2014, 02:02 AM
It might be a better idea for me to just spend my time drafting. That would definitely be more fun :D

Well, I didn't mean to discourage you. If you love developing stuff, you should go for it :) Just wanted to note that I'm also planning to work on stuff (TM) :P

Aldri
04-28-2014, 02:09 AM
If I may ask Kroan, where did you get the card images, and is it possible to get a copy of your database ? I won't make an iOS app since I don't have any iOS device, but maybe something for desktop

Kroan
04-28-2014, 02:27 AM
If I may ask Kroan, where did you get the card images, and is it possible to get a copy of your database ? I won't make an iOS app since I don't have any iOS device, but maybe something for desktop
I generate them through data I collect from different sources, including the data files in the client.

Aldri
04-28-2014, 02:40 AM
Ohh i didn't see the cards images in my Hex files :)
Any way to get a better resolution ?

bluehawk80
04-28-2014, 03:09 AM
I have tested a little bit with recognizing my cards from the ingame client, so i don't have to manage them manually. I can recognize cards from screenshots. (later probably direct from the game). But atm i need card images with the exact same resolution as shown in the game client. I have found a lot of cards in the hex game folder as .png files. But sadly there are a different resolution (probably a cache?). Maybe i can tweak the algorithm later , that no exact matches are needed.

Is there a way to extract cards directly from the assets files? I am also interested in a meta data database of all cards. Or at least a mapping from the Ids from the filenames to the card name.

To use your card collection in different tools, maybe a common file format for exchange would be nice. Maybe just a json file with card name and quantity.

The problem i see with putting too much effort into all of this, is that all this become obsolete when an official api become available.

ingame name: dBug

Ali3nSan
04-28-2014, 04:36 AM
Would be nice if all cards where shown in card manager and ones we don't own yet are greyed out. Then when AH is up you click on greyed out card and go to AH showing all the auctions for that card :)

Buy the one you want and rinse and repeat. No need for an app and easy to tell when you have full collection.

Of course you can toggle greyed out cards on and off so you don't see them all the time.

pheedsta
04-28-2014, 05:29 AM
Would be nice if all cards where shown in card manager and ones we don't own yet are greyed out. Then when AH is up you click on greyed out card and go to AH showing all the auctions for that card

They definitely need to implement that. Great idea.

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 06:08 AM
That is already the plan, more or less. They even want us to be able to link to the AH from our collection, to go buy cards we don't have yet. All of it was mentioned ages ago though, could have changed.

Warrender
04-29-2014, 06:16 AM
Wouldn't be interested unless there was an option to get the info automatically. I tried inputting my collection manually to one of those card db websites and gave it up as a lost cause after a while.

DuroNL
04-29-2014, 06:37 AM
I've been using the Excel sheet Kroan provided, its a nice feature to keep track of collection, first time it would take some time of course... ( i altered it a bit to see how many cards i have of any given color to see which of the colors gets completed first)

But after the first big batch just adding new cards you get is easy, for now a nice tool to have..

Though i'm sure this will be implemented eventually in the game by CZE.