PDA

View Full Version : The value of Guilds

Barkam
04-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Lately, I see the topic of value and cost being the forefront of a lot of the posts and conversation lately in the forums. People start commenting on how $7 to draft is expensive and unsustainable for a lot of people. I somewhat agree with this but this is still ~50% cheaper than MTG. Way more affordable. But at the end of the day some people still feel that they are not getting good value. For these people, I strongly suggest to look into joining a Guild.

Guilds are where you will get the full experience and the best value for the game. The guilds will provide like minded people to play with and will provide a lot of "game" for cheap, if not all together free. My guild, for example, plan to hold a lot of in guild tournaments. The reason why it will be cheap is because the ante could be non-existent because the guild can provide the prizes which can range from packs or PvE gear/cards or gold. Also, don't underestimate prestige within the guild as a prize when you can hold the champion belt that week or months. Another reason it can be cheap is because the format can be limited to using all commons or all PvE cards.

Guilds, in addition to the Auction House, is how CZE/HEX will make sure casual/value-minded crowd will be able to enjoy PvP for years to come. I can't wait until they implement this very important feature.

Go check out http://forums.cryptozoic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105 to find a guild that fits you.

sukebe
04-28-2014, 12:05 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with you :-)

Back when I was serious about magic tournaments (it didnt last long, the serious games were no fun) I used to spend a long time getting proxy decks built out of the decks that have been winning local tournaments. This took a long time and only really lasted 3 months before I had to do it again. With the ability to build decks and share them with guild members for use in playing with other guild members this should be a lot easier and available to more people. We still don't know entirely how this feature will work but I hope it is as good as I imagine :-)

Dropbear
04-28-2014, 12:19 AM
If you go to Magic once a week in the city it's around $10 for standard, $15-17 for Draft. If you really want to do more than three constructed games a week (300+300+300), use the packs you win and sell them to get more.

Or, you know, play in the leagues and tournements that are free that all the Hex sites will be running (see hextcgpro for example). Or play in a guild with friends. Or just use matchmaking! Or PvE when it comes out!

AstaSyneri
04-28-2014, 05:00 AM
I absolutely concur with Barkam. We are aiming for more "familial" events, but we still have one tournament running from Alpha (one round per week, because we have members from all major time zones). Sucks that the rules for that had to change (from all-constructed to now Peasant format, or any other the two opponents can agree to), but our members are showing their mettle by taking it in stride.

In May we'll start the next intra-guild event and I expect that to be just as fun. I just see that as "warming up", learning the cards and preparing for the PvE onslaught :D.

I am sure the other guilds out there are doing the same thing.

Guilds are definitely the way to go.

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 05:07 AM
Yep, I am trying hard to rev up all the Chopstixz members too - as soon as guild creation is open, I will get them all online and playing together in some small meet and greet, and I will be hosting a tournament monthly. I just want a happy, friendly guild of people, and so far its going well.

hexinggems
04-28-2014, 05:26 AM
Have they talked about when guild features are coming online? I assume very low priority right now

bluehawk80
04-28-2014, 05:34 AM
If i remember correctly Cory mentioned in a recently interview that guilds have relativly high priority right after AH. But probably just with very basic features.

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 06:07 AM
I asked him in chat - there was a lot of 'I hope' and 'I want' but he didn't seem sure if if would be there even before open beta. So it has a high priority for sure, but I wouldn't count on it being soon. Sadly.

Yubar
04-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Won't drafts get cheaper once AH comes out and you can buy packs for less than $2 to play (could be around $4 then)

Saeijou
04-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Hopefully we get basic guild features for open beta. guild invites and guild chat would be enough i think.

bank and in-guild tournaments and stuff can wait ;)

Turtlewing
04-28-2014, 08:51 AM
I really do wish people would stop assuming that draft == Hex.

If you want to play Hex there's always casual games in the proving ground. If you want a tournament structure you can organize one by using chat and the challenge system to coordinate and track results of rounds.

Yes, playing draft costs money. That's because the draft format (sealed as well) was partly designed to bring in money for card shops (most that I've played in don't let you supply your own packs you have to buy them retail from the hosting shop as part of the entry fee).

That said, guilds are an excellent system for expanding the causal scene.

Revoluketion
04-28-2014, 08:58 AM
If you would like to sustain yourself for drafts, the easiest way to do so is sell your winnings or cards obtained through the draft to continue drafting! 7 dollars is more reasonable then really any other card game.

In terms of guilds I think they will be a great way to share knowledge and cards to those who cannot afford tournaments as often as they would like!

AstaSyneri
04-29-2014, 01:04 AM
I don't understand the fuzz either. I am happily busy running our first intra-guild tournament, and am setting up the second one to start in May just today. Now that I found tuc.challonge.com it gets even easier - I don't have to put coals into my old "steam-operated" tournament laptop to run the DCI reporter.

We are distributing prizes, too, but not necesarily for winning but for good participation.

I haven't heard anybody complain yet.

Athravan
04-29-2014, 01:11 AM
INow that I found tuc.challonge.com it gets even easier - I don't have to put coals into my old "steam-operated" tournament laptop to run the DCI reporter.

I did not know about that site - thanks, you just made organising my guild tournaments easier :D