PDA

View Full Version : Phisical collection

Myrgard
04-28-2014, 03:45 AM
Hi people,

I would like to make a suggestion to Criptozoic that i think would bring more people to the game and even more value.

It would be nice if people whom completed the set online had the chance to trade with criptozoic for a physical one(paying for the printing and delivery only) not thinking about playing.

What do you people think?

Showsni
04-28-2014, 04:17 AM
What would be the point? You can't exactly play with a physical copy due to the digital design space a lot of cards utilise... And since the cards aren't sold physically, you wouldn't have anyone to play against!

Athravan
04-28-2014, 04:19 AM
I think that it might be nice if someone made templates so you could print out and laminate your own sets if you wanted to, but that could just as easily be done by someone in the community if we had high quality enough art. Seems like a waste of CZE's resources when it has no advantage to the game.

Myrgard
04-28-2014, 04:24 AM
Not thinking about playing, im thinking of it from a collectors point of view,

My idea was for a user whom completed the online collection beeing able to trade for a phisical one(for a fair price). Not thinking about having physical version of Hex on the stores(though they could be in the process)

Myrgard
04-28-2014, 04:47 AM
I think that it might be nice if someone made templates so you could print out and laminate your own sets if you wanted to, but that could just as easily be done by someone in the community if we had high quality enough art. Seems like a waste of CZE's resources when it has no advantage to the game.

I dont think it would be a waste because it would have a price(for the phisical collection plus 1 of every digital card)

And it woul bring in collectors that like to have physical versions of their collections.

I think it would be a win win situation(i am not saying it should be done now)

Dropbear
04-28-2014, 05:14 AM
For the "physical" products that will be sold in shops (the deck and dosh box), there should be also a "Draft Booster" which gives you a 700 plat code and one-three physical/full art cards, with lore/deck ideas/developer commentary on the back as we don't want them being played with, all wrapped in the traditional booster foil to make it look like a card booster. Sell them for $7.50 odd, done. Not only do you get people into doing draft, you get a cool collecter's item for the people who want something to trade or to show off. Cryptozoic's already done this with their trading cards.

Heh, even have Cory sign a few...

EDIT: The other issue is that Hex is impossible to play physically. The rules don't work in a physical space, you'd be doing too much complicated stuff.

GhundiPI
04-28-2014, 05:14 AM
Biggest issue I think would be the cost and logistics behind this. There is no way for CZE to forecast the demand for something like a physical set of cards, which would automatically place this as a 'print on demand' product. But even those you would rather create in an as large a batch as possible, will not come cheap, nor would it be the quality of properly printed cards (see the print on demand products from Fantasy Flight).

But there is no way CZE would be able to offer such as a trade. I can possibly see something like this as a prize for a world series championship, but other than that it would either loose CZE quite a bit of money, or would have a hefty price tag for those who would like to have this.

shizuyami
04-28-2014, 06:12 AM
Rather than making everyone able to buy their own physical sets they could make it a rare thing. Like if you win a big tournament on Esports hosted by CZE 1 of the bonus price rewards could be a printed set of your winning deck. Ofcourse not to play with but just to brag about to your friends xD I am sure printing a deck or 2 is way more doable than printing a deck for like 30-50% of all hex players >.>

Tiuvath
04-28-2014, 07:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmQiaSDr3nk

Lets go physical!

I am sorry I couldnt resist. :o

While I understand it from collector/art stand point. I dont think its worth the effort for Cryptozoic, there something to be said about staying focused on the digital side.

Turtlewing
04-28-2014, 09:01 AM
They probably could print say 100 complete sets of cards and sell to anyone who collects a full digital set and pays for the physical set while supply lasts.

But my first reaction to this is "why would anyone do that?" as chances are you're looking at a good $100 (wild guess at what the price point would be if CZE is to break even on a small print run and shipping) on top of the cost of collecting the digital set, for basicly a trophy.

Personally I think the dilution of the "digital only is a good thing" message that hex is trying to push with their expanded design space is probably going to outweigh the benefit of feeding the collectors who want a physical trophy.

Revoluketion
04-28-2014, 09:01 AM
On my stream we talked about the idea of receiving your deck in physical cards if you won a large CZE run tournament as sort of a trophy.. I think that would be cool.

Gwaer
04-28-2014, 09:13 AM
I dislike it, simply because the biggest challenge facing Hex in my mind is breaking people of the notion that digital collections are not valuable in and of themselves, and this physicality angle undermines that effort.

Myrgard
04-28-2014, 09:38 AM
I dislike it, simply because the biggest challenge facing Hex in my mind is breaking people of the notion that digital collections are not valuable in and of themselves, and this physicality angle undermines that effort.

That is something i did not think about,

To make it clear i value the digital side, and do not want it to be affected in any way,

It was just an idea, because i know much people that value geting physical copies of things and wanted to bring them in(but not at the cost my precious online collection).

I just hope the game can fullfill its full potential, and that it's retention rate can stay equal or above what it as now.

Turtlewing
04-28-2014, 09:45 AM
One thing to remember about physical collection of Hex cards is:

The people most likely to care about your impressive collection are Hex players, who you presumably intact with digitally more often than physically.

Cato
04-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Rather than making everyone able to buy their own physical sets they could make it a rare thing. Like if you win a big tournament on Esports hosted by CZE 1 of the bonus prize rewards could be a printed set of your winning deck.

Now THAT would be cool.

I also like the idea of them giving away single physical copies of legendary cards as promo items at future Hexcons or Gencons. For example, the first 600 attendees through the gates get a one-off physical promo card of Uruunazz as a collectable.

Jinuyr
04-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Being able to get an uncut sheet of some cards would be kinda cool, but I'm worried about putting in money for that when I could spend it on more cards in the game. It's a tough call for me but having a poster of that would be kinda nice to have in the office.

Masquerade
04-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Now THAT would be cool.

I also like the idea of them giving away single physical copies of legendary cards as promo items at future Hexcons or Gencons. For example, the first 600 attendees through the gates get a one-off physical promo card of Uruunazz as a collectable.

YES YES YES!

I've been thinking about how it would be cool to have some physical cards for collectors, and I think that's the safest and probably currently the best way to do it.

Quite frankly trading in a digital collection for an unplayable physical one seems a bit silly, and there's no point in taking away the digital one. I believe he's taking this from Magic Online, but there are physical magic tournament and identical set releases, and cards hold value somewhat based on the knowledge that they can be turned into physical cards. Hex on the other hand is a digital game, which a physical scene could never be equal too.

That said, I'd love to see some physical cards as collectors items, there's just no reason to have to trade in your digital ones for them. Maybe as the game gets popular print some physical collector deck using only physically playable cards, based on the races. Though, personally, I think the promo idea is the most realistic right now. Another option I could see is a yearly collector set including physical copies of iconic cards from each year, probably foil and unplayable, but still cool to just have. Like a From the Vault from Magic. I think a lot of us would want to have physical cards to have and hold, and hey, if they got into stores, at least that would be another way of raising awareness of the game, and put a code card in the sets for online goods.

Anyways, I'd love to see some cards be made into physical form, but I don't expect the majority of cards to get that treatment if any.

Considering HexCon will be a thing, I think they should definitely do some physical card collectibles for that.

Makizushi
04-29-2014, 06:48 AM
There's something else that would come into play: copyrights. Currently, they're paying the artists for digital use of the art in-game. Taking it to print would be a whole new kettle of fish.

Turtlewing
04-29-2014, 07:45 AM
There's something else that would come into play: copyrights. Currently, they're paying the artists for digital use of the art in-game. Taking it to print would be a whole new kettle of fish.

I would expect all the art to be commissioned "for hire" so CZE owns the copyright not the individual artist.

Makizushi
04-29-2014, 11:20 AM
That would in fact make sense, yes.

Dynimix
05-09-2014, 10:17 AM
I think it would be fun to have nothing more than a collectors set. Could be 25-30 cards and just something for collectors.

Bells
05-09-2014, 10:50 AM
which would be incrdibly costly to produce in any acceptable quality when compared to the amount of benefits that can be added by putting that cash into making the game better.

Djbousquet
05-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Looks to me like they already have physical cards! THEY ARE PLAYING WITH THEM AND I WANT THEM! ;)

hex_colin
05-09-2014, 04:32 PM

Looks to me like they already have physical cards! THEY ARE PLAYING WITH THEM AND I WANT THEM! ;)

Step 1. Grab Screenshots
Step 2. Print cards
Step 3. Cut out cards
Step 4. Put them in a sleeve with an old TCG card
Step 5. Profit

;)

israel.kendall
05-09-2014, 05:15 PM
No. It's not a physical game.

Djbousquet
05-09-2014, 05:44 PM
If it's not physical than why do I touch myself when I play it!? :p