PDA

View Full Version : Owed PLAT from Sponsors

Phoenixfire
04-28-2014, 01:44 PM
On the buy Plat page you can fill stuff out to get Plat.

I filled a good 40+ of them out and received about 6-7

I used my valid info on everything, phone, birthday, email. address.

I did get a massive amount of spam mails and phone calls... but almost no plat....

I filed a support ticket the other day, and I added a reply explaining how im owed over 3000 plat by now..

Anyone else have same problem?

Gwaer
04-28-2014, 01:46 PM
There's a way to get plat from sponsors. Ugh. I hate that.

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 01:52 PM
I feel like this shouldn't be an option. Or at least hidden away somewhere dark. I really don't like sponsored stuff (and they often feel very scammy.)

Daer
04-28-2014, 01:54 PM
I really don't like sponsored stuff (and they often feel very scammy.)

Yep.

Vengus
04-28-2014, 01:56 PM
I agree, CZE shouldn't do business with those kind of things, most are scams or worse.

Phoenixfire
04-28-2014, 01:57 PM
I agree, CZE shouldn't do business with those kind of things, most are scams or worse.

I signed up and gave my email, birthday, address, phone etc for like 40 things, please tell me your joking?

Ertzi
04-28-2014, 01:58 PM
I agree, this sounds horrible and it should go away.

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 02:02 PM
I signed up and gave my email, birthday, address, phone etc for like 40 things, please tell me your joking?

Well, I would assume Gameforge vetted these specific ones and made sure they were safe, but they aren't always. Often they lead to horrible spam mail and other crap.

If Gameforge didn't vet them, then Cory needs to get on the blower and kick some ass.

Werlix
04-28-2014, 02:04 PM

I hope you didn't give them your real details or you're just joking...

Phoenixfire
04-28-2014, 02:14 PM
im not joking, and im a bit worried now.

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 02:17 PM

Like I said, in this one case, they should be fairly safe. If you get hacked or something (unlikely, but best be prepared) then go directly to gameforge and CZE and raise hell about it. Cory will do whatever he can to set things right.

Turtlewing
04-28-2014, 02:20 PM

The thing to worry about is if you created an account and used the same password as any important account. In which case change the password on the important account.

Other than that your only real risk is that you'll get more spam and unsolicited phone calls/junk mail because they can legally claim you gave them permission to send you promotional materials. (date of birth, address, etc are generally a matter of public record if anyone really wants to find out they can look you up).

Rokku
04-28-2014, 02:25 PM
CZE shouldnt be associated with marketing based plat. It gives a scammy cheap vibe that will only negatively impact reputation.
Even if it works users will still hate it when the spam starts filling their mailbox for a few measly plat.

If people dont want to pay then play pve not this.

God knows what will happen if some kid chasing free plat suddenly gets adult only marketing email while playing Hex...

Saeijou
04-28-2014, 02:30 PM
i don't think that CZE is responsible for that... gameforge is.
And giving privat information for that stuff is just stupid... that should be teached in schools...

hex_colin
04-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Longer term we'll be buying Platinum directly in the client anyway = no dodgy marketing stuff.

Shivdaddy
04-28-2014, 02:37 PM
I have fillled out some of that BS for some free plat, have got 34 plat so far, lol. All fake info. You really need to do it on a spare crappy computer with all the BS it will do to your computer. Of course your not going to get it all, I can not believe you thought you would.

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 02:39 PM
I have fillled out some of that BS for some free plat, have got 34 plat so far, lol. All fake info. You really need to do it on a spare crappy computer with all the BS it will do to your computer. Of course your not going to get it all, I can not believe you thought you would.

The upside is that for minimal work, you can now buy 34 1 cent commons. :p

Zomnivore
04-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Well, what nation is game forge's HQ at?

That'll tell you whether or not you have any legal recourse.

I personally would've lied, but you're a streamer and something of what you are could've been vetted at bit more easily then for me. If they'd turned out legit, then you'd just be doing yourself some damage.

Still If its attached to gameforge, and you get hacked, I would think you could sue them for identity theft.

Doubtful, but potentially possible.

Whenever a company asks for my personal information, unless its a company that I trust a lot (and even then often I lie) I don't give accurate information.

The only accurate details they get are when I need to pay for something.

Lochar
04-28-2014, 02:41 PM
The buy plat link sends me to a .de address, so I'd assume Germany.

Saeijou
04-28-2014, 02:43 PM
yes it's germany. it's discribed when you buy plat

ossuary
04-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Does CZE even know that GameForge is letting 3rd party marketers leech personal information from their customers in exchange for not actually transmitting them microscopic amounts of "free" platinum? I bet they don't. If they signed off on it, I'd be very shocked (and extremely disappointed).

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Does CZE even know that GameForge is letting 3rd party marketers leech personal information from their customers in exchange for not actually transmitting them microscopic amounts of "free" platinum? I bet they don't. If they signed off on it, I'd be very shocked (and extremely disappointed).

Yeah, that was my thought process for about 3 seconds on beta night when I went to buy plat. Then I promptly forgot and went to sleep, because 5am.

Lochar
04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Considering the Buy Plat link doesn't even default to SSL and Gameforge isn't bothering to enforce it, I'm not surprised.

rjselzler
04-28-2014, 03:22 PM

Seconded. It gives new players a cheesy Facebook game impression of a stellar ( and intended to be AAA ) title. Not cool. I bet it's just gone under the radar for the time being.

Myrgard
04-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Also agree,

hope they do not resort to that kind of exchange,

First impression is dificult to errase and if we backers that belive in the project did not like it, imagine someone just arriving(this is not some facebook game like rjselzler said, but its the impression it gives when you are proposed that kind of stuff)

Stok3d
04-28-2014, 04:25 PM

Honestly, I disagree here. I played a F2P game on facebook called Castle Age and I did the same exact thing as the OP. I was very happy to get some of the extra goodies and still not digging into my pockets at that point in time. While Cryptozoic won't have anything to do with the 3rd party marketers, they will generate a lot of sales this way and appeal greatly to the "100% F2P Crowd".

Put it this way, if you get in the first year 1,000,000 people who play PVE and 50,000 who play PVP. Why not provide a means to the 950,000 to do some surveys, etc if they so desire and get some more "free packs"? If each one of the people does $5-6 a year like the OP did, we're talking about generating the equiv of 3x successful KS's yearly. I'm sure this would help support their bottom line and allow for some more programmers to be hired and provide a more polished product with more options quicker...

Win-Win imo.

b1uepenguin
04-28-2014, 04:40 PM
But isn't Hex collecting money from the marketers for driving the collection of personal information or services? (even if indirectly from game forge?)

I remember working at a store where we made more money off getting someone to sign up for free magazines than we did selling a DVD.

mach
04-28-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't have a problem with this kind of marketing as long as it's done right. Scamming and spamming cross the line, but genuine offers from companies which follow the rules are okay.

So I think they should allow this, but Cory should personally approve each one. I think that would satisfy most people.

Showsni
04-28-2014, 05:01 PM
On the buy Plat page you can fill stuff out to get Plat.

I did get a massive amount of spam mails and phone calls... but almost no plat....

I filed a support ticket the other day, and I added a reply explaining how im owed over 3000 plat by now..

Anyone else have same problem?

Filled in a bunch, had 2 actually work so far. I certainly wouldn't risk doing any of the ones that require you to download stuff, but if a few surveys want my secondary email address (which I save to put into just things I know are going to spam me) then I don't really care. It seems only a few of them give reliable (or any) rewards even if you fill the surveys in properly; maybe we should make a list of the ones that are known to work? Both the ones that worked for me were for 8 platinum.

Niedar
04-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Scummy stuff.

Aradon
04-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Jeez. 8 platinum for five minutes of work puts you well below minimum wage.

regomar
04-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Uggh, disappointed to hear that CZE is dealing with these scum that scam people. I've experienced this crap before and never again. Most of the time you never get your rewards anyway and they sell your info to every scumbag advertiser under the sun. Avoid at all costs.

YourOpponent
04-28-2014, 06:06 PM
I was greatly upset when I noticed that CZE was allowing this free plat alternative. I still am, but mainly because I've been at the receiving end of all the abuse on it. Loads of actual mail from using valid contact info, credit card info for things like "free" credit checks and having to fight to get my money back from them for them billing me monthly even after contacting customer support and cancelling well before the trial periods end and so forth...and that's not to mention all the nasty viruses and stuff that can steal your info including passwords.

These are things that if CZE aren't extremely careful and constantly fighting against to prevent scammers...otherwise the player base could end up seeing CZE as not caring about the player base. Now most of the ones such as playing a video ad for 1 or 2 plat are usually fine and safe. But most of the ones where you actually have to download something are often scams...especially the ones affiliated with pickle.

knightofeffect
04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Honestly, I disagree here. I played a F2P game on facebook called Castle Age and I did the same exact thing as the OP. I was very happy to get some of the extra goodies and still not digging into my pockets at that point in time. While Cryptozoic won't have anything to do with the 3rd party marketers, they will generate a lot of sales this way and appeal greatly to the "100% F2P Crowd".

Put it this way, if you get in the first year 1,000,000 people who play PVE and 50,000 who play PVP. Why not provide a means to the 950,000 to do some surveys, etc if they so desire and get some more "free packs"? If each one of the people does $5-6 a year like the OP did, we're talking about generating the equiv of 3x successful KS's yearly. I'm sure this would help support their bottom line and allow for some more programmers to be hired and provide a more polished product with more options quicker...

Win-Win imo.

Yea, I noticed the 3rd party marketing and my first though was uh-oh, then stok3d pretty well summarized my next thoughts. If they want to do it let them, just make sure they actually get platinum for selling their virtual privacy and identity. =P

Svenn
04-28-2014, 06:35 PM
I don't necessarily agree with this being used for Hex... but I've been using these types of sites for years and they are a valid way to make some extra cash. I've made about $1300 since last July just from one site. The problem is that a lot of people won't understand how these things work and will give away too much personal info or something and hold it against Crypto.

You need to not give them too much personal information and use a secondary email address that you don't care about. The downloads are usually riddled with Malware so don't download anything (or use sandboxie if you do). A lot of offers won't credit for various reasons... they usually have very specific requirements to credit.

Elementalist
04-28-2014, 06:44 PM
So many problems with this crap.

1. It's regional based, I've had games where I have 2 offers, and I see friends in the US doing hundreds of free offers! This is an unfair advantage to those in less travelled regions/countries.

2. Prove your info will not be used in scam's or identity theft. Just try it. NEVER put all your personal info in one place on any website. Does anyone know how little info you need to sign up for a credit card online? You will be shocked, go look it up.

3. Spam; they are spammers, and you will get heaps of it. Don't ever help spammers, even if it somehow helps you. By you giving these people your info, just so they can spam you more...can you trust them? I wouldn't.

There is plenty of other reasons never to do it. I'm amazed people would even consider using real info on the internet...let alone fake.

And even if you ignore all the spam, scam, identity theft above. You are still left with it being unfair for those that don't have many surveys or other things to do. They are country/region filtered and if you are not in the US, good luck getting even 1/100 as many ways to earn "free" plat.

I have seen one game die so far because of this system, the main players couldn't do any activities and watched the US players slowly get stronger, so they all quit. In the end the game survived 7 months after it was implemented. This probably won't happen here as there is enough US players, but it simply goes to show the unfair advantage for some, and the disadvantage for others.

Kami
04-28-2014, 07:00 PM
The fact that you can even earn platinum for free disagrees with me. If you're earning it via trade and such, sure, since you've at least put in the time to earn the 'stuff' required for trade.

However, earning it outside the game system, for practically free, just seems very wrong.

Just by the OP being owed 3000 platinum, that's equivalent to $30! Now imagine F2P players doing this over and over again....

Elementalist
04-28-2014, 07:03 PM
The fact that you can even earn platinum for free disagrees with me. If you're earning it via trade and such, sure, since you've at least put in the time to earn the 'stuff' required for trade.

However, earning it outside the game system, for practically free, just seems very wrong.

Just by the OP being owed 3000 platinum, that's equivalent to $30! Now imagine F2P players doing this over and over again....

Add in the fact, where 1 person has that many surveys available to do, and another doesn't...it just escalates the issue even further.

sukebe
04-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Personally, If you want to earn small amounts of money for boring but relatively fast work I would just use Amazons Mechanical Turk. The amount it pays is pretty much the same as the offers these sites give you (1-5 cents each task) but it is run by a company I trust won't scam me. The only downside to this is you need to transfer it to your banking account before using it on Hex.

Myself, I do not have the attention span to do enough things like that to buy enough plat to make it worth it, but if you are doing those things anyway I see no reason not to take the safer path.

Quasari
04-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Personally, If you want to earn small amounts of money for boring but relatively fast work I would just use Amazons Mechanical Turk. The amount it pays is pretty much the same as the offers these sites give you (1-5 cents each task) but it is run by a company I trust won't scam me. The only downside to this is you need to transfer it to your banking account before using it on Hex.

Myself, I do not have the attention span to do enough things like that to buy enough plat to make it worth it, but if you are doing those things anyway I see no reason not to take the safer path.
A lot of the tasks are much faster. You get paid piddly til you work up your number of turks done and acceptance rate, but once you get a few quals it can be as good or better than minimum wage. Still my first like 200 turks I did business card transcriptions for .02 a pop and was able to pop out maybe 2-3 a minute. Say $2 an hour. Pretty much all you can get when first starting out. I can get up to $10 an hour now, but I maybe turk every once in a while now. If you aren't interested in learning who's a good offerer(turkopticon) and what turks are good for the time, I'd stay away as you'd make very little money or ruin your approval rate.

primer
04-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Classic Gameforge.

Khazrakh
04-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Yet another reason why Gameforge has such a bad reputation in Germany and why I never wanted CZE to work with them.
That SponsorPay crap is one of the last leftovers of the early 2000s Paid4-Hype. Most of the stuff there is scam. You just won't get paid anything for a lot of them and probably every single one is just trying to get your personal informations.

In other words - the companies that offer that stuff totally expect to get scammed with fake IDs most of the time so they do all they can do scam those poor souls that actually enter their real ID...

primer
04-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Here's the thing. You're trying to make a AAA online TCG, you just cant have this stuff associated with it. All it does is reflect bad on the game, makes it feel cheap.

I hope CZE eventually breaks away from Gameforge. I realise how easy it is to outsource especially when CZE is so small at the moment. But if the game grows as much as we all hope there must be scope to make everything in house.

Masquerade
04-28-2014, 11:32 PM
I agree completely, this really makes the game seem worse. I really hope they don't keep it >_<

Alequel
04-28-2014, 11:48 PM
Gameforge is and will always be crap. That's the bottom line. Unfortunately for us and good people of CZE it's crap we all have to deal with for the time being.

mach
04-29-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm sure CZE knew what they were getting into when they made the deal with Gameforge. Global payment processing isn't cheap or easy, and this is part of how Gameforge pays for it. It was a bit of a devil's bargain for CZE, but still probably worth it for them.

Athravan
04-29-2014, 12:48 AM
I love Hex, have invested a large amount of money into the kickstarter and have been very supportive throughout development, but you simply cannot do stuff like this and keep a reputation as an AA company. These "fill in the spam" sponsors to receive "free" currency plague every free app game out there, and they are notorious for being unreliably, spammy or actual scams. By choosing this method of sponsorship, CZE is putting themselves in the class of tacky free iOS games and going to lose the trust of every single person who receives spam or gets malware on their pc due to these sponsors.

Even discarding the fact that it will affect the reputation and trustworthy of CZE as a company and Hex as a game, earning free plat through sponsors - that varies from region to region - completely devalues it and makes it very unfair. So will we have people using proxies and making multiple accounts to get free platinum? Of course you will. If there is a way to abuse something for profit, people will do it.

Ali3nSan
04-29-2014, 02:53 AM
I have to agree, when I saw payment page I was like ummmm....

I do not like it and if I had not backed Hex on KS, and I just found it online. I would not trust the payment site.

Hopefully as Hex grows it can setup its own payment portal.

Patrigan
04-29-2014, 03:09 AM
I'll agree with the sentiment here. Get rid of the "free plat for survey" crap.

I mean, I don't think even Farmville (Zynga) and Candy Crush (King) have ever done it. Do we really want to be regarded as cheaper than those?

Indormi
04-29-2014, 03:22 AM
Here in Spain the "free" surveys we have always ask for a mobile number and then ask you to put a code they sent you. If you read the TOS you basically are subscribing to their crap which consists of spam SMS that charge you around 1.30€+taxes every time you get one. If you want to unsubscribe from this fantastic program you have to sent around 3-5 SMS that also are charged (again 1.30€+taxes). Even then most of the time unsubscribes are ignored and you keep getting charged. Basically the worst of the worst kind of scam.

As you can see is like 100 cheaper to just buy platinum with a credit card. I know bout this stuff cause when my mother got her phone back after she has lost it , someone had subscribed the phone to this kind of crap. In order to get rid of it she had to go to the consumers association*, which filled a complain through the ministry of comerce*.

*Lousy translations

Zomnivore
04-29-2014, 03:45 AM
Sounds like Gameforge is an unfortunate means to an end.

Hopefully Hex can gain enough traction to be able to get around this.

Makizushi
04-29-2014, 06:38 AM
i don't think that CZE is responsible for that... gameforge is.
And giving privat information for that stuff is just stupid... that should be teached in schools...

It -is- being taught in school. And parents should also remind their kids of this.

Don't tell strangers your name. Don't tell strangers where you live. Etc etc.

Sounds like Gameforge is an unfortunate means to an end.

This. Or as someone else put it: a deal with the Devil.

RoaRawR
04-29-2014, 07:01 AM
Just remove whole damn thing, it just scamming and you will be added to list of spam, you earn dust they earn money. I quite suprised that they put it in as a option

Phoenixfire
04-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Since I singed up im owed over 3000 plat, if thats not bad enough im receiving a abundance of scam emails and people calling m over and over again today.

and yes I put a support ticket in,been waiting 2+ days now.

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Since I singed up im owed over 3000 plat, if thats not bad enough im receiving a abundance of scam emails and people calling m over and over again today.

Wow, that is the ultimate level of suck. I hope Cory deals with this one personally, since he is the one in control of Gameforge relations.

Marsden
04-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Well, you did sign up for emails and calls by filling in those things.

And a lot of them only pay out when you actually sign up to the deals they're trying to offer to you, not just sign up to be contacted.
I'm not sure you're really owed >3000 plat. When I looked there were only a few very low values deals that were genuinely free.

Kami
04-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Please don't create a new thread for something you already posted.

Svenn
04-29-2014, 01:45 PM

You're not going to get the Plat and Gameforge/Hex really aren't going to even be able to do anything about the spam/phone calls. Sorry, but that's how these sites work. As far as they are concerned, you didn't fulfill the correct requirements for earning the payouts, so you didn't get it. Often there are hidden/not very obvious things you have to do in order to actually meet the requirements for the payout. They have a pretty hard stance on that, since if you don't meet those they don't get paid, so they aren't willing to pay you for it.

Lonenut
04-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Hex will never be a AAA game while associated with this sort of thing.

Branding IS important, and these companies are associated with terrible brands that rip off their customers.

Showsni
04-29-2014, 02:05 PM
So long as people know where they stand with these things it should be okay; but it appears some people can be easily duped.

The whole point of these "offers" is to farm your phone number and/or email address, and ideally pair it with a list of information about you - what charities you might be willing to donate to, what work might need doing to your house, whether you might need a new boiler, whether you might consider switching 'phone provider, where you shop, etc, etc. Then the company doing the survey can sell your information on to the electricity company, the 'phone company, the building company, and so on, who can call you up to try and get some business. If you don't want to receive emails or calls from these people, do not use your real information! Have a seperate e-mail address to your real one that you don't care gets spammed (it's easy enough to set up a free hotmail e-mail or whatever). Also be aware that a lot of the time, you won't get the reward. A lot of the surveys are only looking for specific people, which they often don't advertise up front (you'll fill in some pages of data then hit a "you don't meet the requirements" page; no plat for you!). Never download and install stuff, it's bound to be full of spyware, if not actual malware; at best it's going to be trying to extort money from you in some way. Be careful of any small print, and don't subscribe to any mobile 'phone services. The only ones that are worth decent amounts of platinum are ones that will cost you money (signing up to memberships) or could give you malware (downloading software).

boredinbc
04-29-2014, 02:13 PM
I hope they reconsider this issue and remove the survey for plat ads. This type of marketing is pretty low brow and has been associated with scams, fraud, spam and the like for years. Regardless of whether these ads are on the level or not they devalue the game by association.

EntropyBall
04-29-2014, 02:18 PM
I don't have a problem with this kind of marketing as long as it's done right. Scamming and spamming cross the line, but genuine offers from companies which follow the rules are okay.So I think they should allow this, but Cory should personally approve each one. I think that would satisfy most people.

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous request. He's the CEO of a big gaming company. He absolutely should NOT be spending his time approving a giant list of sponsors that CZE's partner's partner uses for surveys that generate $0.25.

Wow, that is the ultimate level of suck. I hope Cory deals with this one personally, since he is the one in control of Gameforge relations.

I hope he lets his support team handle it, given that his time is probably worth at least 6x what their time is. I know he is super-involved with the community, and its awesome, but he can't be the solution to every problem.

nicosharp
04-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Please don't create a new thread for something you already posted.
Damn, I had a pretty nice post that went to the internet ether thanks to your swift handy work.

funktion
04-29-2014, 02:24 PM
The cost of these programs to the community is greater than the benefit. If this is a marketing tool to reach a wider audience for Hex then I feel like we're looking in the wrong direction for awareness.

something something something my uncle whom I'd never met just passed away, he was the prince of a Sierra Leone province and left me a lot of money in his will.

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous request. He's the CEO of a big gaming company. He absolutely should NOT be spending his time approving a giant list of sponsors that CZE's partner's partner uses for surveys that generate $0.25.

I hope he lets his support team handle it, given that his time is probably worth at least 6x what their time is. I know he is super-involved with the community, and its awesome, but he can't be the solution to every problem.

I dunno, I think he can forgo one of his daily drafts to vet one or two of these things and then make an informed decision about reimbursements and other actions. :p

JackD
04-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Don't use them if you don't want to, put up a warning if you must. It's very naive to not understand the cost of handing out your personal information willy-nilly. But there's no sense in removing it and depriving those who'd like to use them the option of doing so. There are many games I've played I didn't feel comfortable paying money for yet that I earned a few bucks on offer walls for. Will be very disappointing if I can't do a couple offers for a pack just because it didn't 'sit well' with some of the community who aren't forced to use it.

Not only does it open the door for 100% F2Pers to earn revenue, but it also serves as a gateway for those who'd earn and buy one small thing for free to charge money for more later.

Gorgol
04-29-2014, 05:09 PM
I wonder how "automatable" doing the sponsorpay stuff is. Could someone make new account, do sponsorpay, trade whatever plat, rinse repeat ad nauseum and just inject all that plat into the system? Or is this just too complicated for a bot/bunch of bots?

JackD
04-29-2014, 05:14 PM
I wonder how "automatable" doing the sponsorpay stuff is. Could someone make new account, do sponsorpay, trade whatever plat, rinse repeat ad nauseum and just inject all that plat into the system? Or is this just too complicated for a bot/bunch of bots?

They'd recognize you as the same user via IP and other methods (which I believe recognize your computer) to block you from repeats.

Yoss
04-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Damn, I had a pretty nice post that went to the internet ether thanks to your swift handy work.

Notepad.exe

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 06:18 PM
They'd recognize you as the same user via IP and other methods (which I believe recognize your computer) to block you from repeats.

There are some dynamic IP masking programs that would let you bypass those protections.

JackD
04-29-2014, 06:26 PM
There are some dynamic IP masking programs that would let you bypass those protections.

That, along with a separate computer and you might be able to fraud them. But you won't be botting it, I'm guessing, and exploiters transferring platinum to a main account would be easily discovered I'm sure.

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 06:35 PM
That, along with a separate computer and you might be able to fraud them. But you won't be botting it, I'm guessing, and exploiters transferring platinum to a main account would be easily discovered I'm sure.

Probably. Not going to argue that it would be difficult to abuse to the point of being worth it and not being banned.

But there are always workarounds, and someone could potentially find a way to make it worthwhile.

Gorgol
04-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Probably. Not going to argue that it would be difficult to abuse to the point of being worth it and not being banned.

But there are always workarounds, and someone could potentially find a way to make it worthwhile.

And that is my entire point. If it can be done, someone will try it and if its successful, good luck with cleaning up that mess along with the trust loss.

GatticusFinch
04-29-2014, 08:19 PM
Other big online game communities are constantly getting scammed by these free giveaways which are ultimately used to facilitate account theft, and here we have brought something that seems just like it to be accessible from the client? I can see the spoofed survey emails already.

JackD
04-29-2014, 09:58 PM
What kind of survey email could convincingly steal logins? And what would they have to gain opposed to any traditional phishing email? (HEX TCG: Your account is at risk please login, etc). That's really reaching, as is 'it could possibly be exploited'.

Elementalist
04-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Now I've gone looking for the option...I don't see it. I'm either blind, or it isn't available at all to my region!

Athravan
04-30-2014, 01:15 AM
Now I've gone looking for the option...I don't see it. I'm either blind, or it isn't available at all to my region!

You need to click buy platinum in the client, to be moved to the plat store for your region, then on the bottom of that page it should say "Earn Platinum" with Sponsorpay or Superrewards. There are no offers in my region (UK) at the moment.

Phoenixfire
04-30-2014, 02:31 AM
finally got support ticket replied to, they claim I revived all my plat lol.

I am about to write this game off asa bad investment on my part.

Zomnivore
04-30-2014, 02:36 AM
finally got support ticket replied to, they claim I revived all my plat lol.

I am about to write this game off asa bad investment on my part.

Sounds like they're trying to screw you so ya, count it as a loss and move on is my advice.

If you have any way to prove that you did what you say you did maybe CZE can directly help you, seeing as they've struck deals with apparent con-men.

Makizushi
04-30-2014, 04:37 AM
Whom did you register the support ticket with? With CZE, GameForce or SponsorPay? Becuase it's the last party you'll need to bitch at for missing plat. CZE and even GameForce have no say in it.

blakegrandon
04-30-2014, 05:57 AM
What kind of survey email could convincingly steal logins? And what would they have to gain opposed to any traditional phishing email? (HEX TCG: Your account is at risk please login, etc). That's really reaching, as is 'it could possibly be exploited'.

Simple surveys that ask for an email address could lead to phishing emails.

Simple surveys that say install this "toolbar" could lead to a keylogger.

The list goes on but the sponsors aren't vetted and there are no controls in place to weed out the shady "sponsors", if there are they're not being used given the shady surveys I'm looking at right now.

Phoenixfire
04-30-2014, 07:18 AM
I am waiting ona ton of plat from the sponsor offers.

I admit my goodbye thread was a bit out of hand, but im extremely frustrated at this point.

My support ticket to GameForge was closed, telling me I need to contact there billing.

Answer from: Vian Rate this answer 2014-04-30 12:35:44

Hello StarPhoenix,

I'm sorry, however this issue seems to be related to a billing problem, to solve this problem as quickly as possible, please contacting the following address:
Gameforge Billing

So I contacted there billing, and was told they cannot help me, please contact Sponsor Play

2014-04-30 15:47:11
Hello xxxxxx@hotmail.com,

Unfortunately we can't help you in that case since we don't have access to the relative datas due to data protection.

Please login in your game and go to the order page again. Choose "Sponsorpay" again as payment method.

In the upper menu bar you will find the "offer status". If you click on it you will find your order together with the associated status for Sponsorpay under point 2.

If the normal waiting time is passed you can contact the Sponsorpay support via a link next to the order.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards from Karlsruhe,

Laura Cerezuela
Gameforge Billing-Support

So now I am waiting on Sponsor Play...

I am owed over 8000 PLAT.
The following is a list of what I filled out that has NOT been credited...

Offer Required Actions Started Status

AwesomeRewards - iPhone5S

Reward: 54 Platinum
Register with valid contact information. No purchase necessary. 1 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

$500 Amazon Gift Card

Reward: 57 Platinum
Register with valid contact information. No purchase necessary. 1 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

CouponsMillion - Surveys For Coupons

Reward: 71 Platinum
Register with valid contact information and complete the survey. No purchase necessary. 1 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Get All Your Rentals From Redbox

Reward: 75 Platinum
Get all your rentals from Redbox with a prepaid Visa card! Submit a valid email address. No purchase required. 1 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

KFC Gift Card

Report problem

Coffee Gift Card

Submit a valid email address. No purchase required. 1 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Get a Playstation 4

Be the first to grab a Playstation 4. Submit a valid email address. No purchase required. 1 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Lifescript Schick

Reward: 40 Platinum

Report problem

HealthQuoteInsurance.org

Reward: 45 Platinum

Report problem

Covergirl LipStain

Reward: 78 Platinum
Register with valid contact information. No purchase required. 1 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Consumer Car Source

Reward: 73 Platinum

Report problem

Ray Ban Sunglasses

Submit a valid email address. No purchase required. 1 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Survey for information workers

Reward: 95 Platinum
Survey requirements: Must be 23+ and and information worker. 1 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

iReward Survey

Reward: 94 Platinum
Register with valid contact information and complete the survey. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

AutoPriceMatcher

Reward: 118 Platinum
Register with valid contact details and confirmation. No purchase necessary. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

BashBound

Reward: 90 Platinum
Register with valid contact information and complete a survey. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

My Web Reward Survey

Register with valid contact information. No purchase necessary. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

$1,500 Halloween Sweepstakes

Register with valid contact information. No purchase necessary. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

AMC Movie Gift Card Sweeps

Reward: 100 Platinum
Register with valid details. Fake information will not be credited. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

MyThoughtCounts - Survey

Register with valid contact information and complete a survey. No purchase necessary. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Upgrade To TurboTax Deluxe

Submit a valid email address. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

OnDemandResearch - Complete the Gaming Survey

Reward: 48 Platinum
Complete the survey with valid information and submit your answers. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

MacBook Pro

Reward: 62 Platinum

Report problem

Monster or Rockstar?

Register with valid information. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

AmericanPrizeCenter - Amazon Giftcard

Reward: 80 Platinum
Complete the survey and register with valid contact information. No purchase necessary. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

ZipCar - Wheels When You Want Them

Reward: 332 Platinum
Complete the full ZipCar registration with valid contact details. Only valid applications will be credited. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Why wait for refund?

Reward: 61 Platinum
Register with valid details. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Get Your 2013 Taxes Prepared

Get your 2013 taxes prepared with a prepaid visa card! Register with valid information. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

UniqueRewards - Earn Real Cash Now

Reward: 125 Platinum
Sign up using valid information and complete an offer. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Charmin Toilet Paper

Reward: 59 Platinum

Report problem

SaveAndSmile- Pepsi vs Coke

Reward: 51 Platinum
Answer the questions and register with valid information. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

WinningSurveys - $1500 K-Mart Gift Card

Reward: 76 Platinum
Sign up with valid contact details. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Phoenixfire
04-30-2014, 07:22 AM
CoolSurveys - Win Lunch For A Year

Reward: 88 Platinum
Complete the registration with valid and complete contact details. You do not have to complete a sponsor survey to be credited. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Survey for those from Miami or Broward county

Reward: 150 Platinum
Survey requirements: Must be 40-60 years old Must live in Miami or Broward county. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Minute-Quote Auto Insurance

Reward: 328 Platinum
Submit valid information and agree to receive an auto insurance quote. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

PandaResearch

Reward: 154 Platinum
Register with valid contact information and complete a survey. No purchase necessary. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Win a Taco Bell Lunch for a year

Sign up with valid info & take a survey. You can skip the sponsored offers. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

SurveysForFun - Back to School Sweeps

Register with valid contact information and participate in SurveyForFun surveys. No purchase necessary. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Survey on Alcohol

Reward: 47 Platinum
Survey requirements: Must be 21+ and consume one alcoholic drink per week. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Win M&Ms For A Year

Reward: 61 Platinum
Complete the survey. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Cool-Surveys - Xbox One Package

Sign up with valid contact details and confirm your email address. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Chips Ahoy Gift Card

Register with valid information. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Microsoft Surface

Register with valid details. No purchase necessary. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Drive In Style - Win Your Dream Car

Reward: 106 Platinum
Register with valid contact information to enter in the sweepstakes. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Articles Daily - BestQuotes

Reward: 101 Platinum
Click on the "Click Here" button and enter your valid contact details and agree to receive an insurance quote from a sponsor. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Axe For Her Kit

Reward: 50 Platinum
Register with valid contact information. No purchase necessary. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Marwood Research - Influence New Products

Sign up with valid contact details and complete the survey. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Low Rate Insurance Quote

Reward: 78 Platinum
Register with valid contact information. No purchase necessary. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

$1000 Disney Cruise Gift

Reward: 85 Platinum

Report problem

Win $1,500 Grocery Gift Card Sweeps

Reward: 88 Platinum
You must be a U.S. resident and 18 years or older to participate. Register with valid details and continue. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

$500 Target Gift Card

Reward: 55 Platinum

Report problem

Phoenixfire
04-30-2014, 07:23 AM
Get Your Axe Deodorant

Submit a valid email address. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Denny's vs iHop

Report problem

Outback Gift Card

Reward: 68 Platinum

Report problem

Thanksgiving Gift Card

Reward: 69 Platinum

Report problem

Speedy Life Insurance

Reward: 68 Platinum

Report problem

The Coupon Site

Reward: 378 Platinum

Report problem

MindsPay

Reward: 154 Platinum
Register and complete a survey. No purchase necessary. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Nike vs Adidas

Reward: 60 Platinum
Register with valid contact information. NO purchase necessary. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Select your sweeps - Win a $3,500 Prize

Reward: 84 Platinum
Sign up with valid contact details. No purchase required 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Win Summer Samples

Reward: 81 Platinum

Report problem

Petco Gift Card

Register with valid information. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Alcon Dailies - Healthy Vision Month

Reward: 101 Platinum

Report problem

Sams Club Gift Card

Reward: 66 Platinum
Submit a valid email address. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Bestquotes Auto Insurance

Report problem

Burger King - Spring 2014

Report problem

Sschh - Groceries

Reward: 83 Platinum

Report problem

Snappy Life Insurance

Reward: 86 Platinum

Report problem

Survey for College Educated Adults

Reward: 237 Platinum
Survey requirements: Must be 25-65 with a household income of $50k+, must have a College Education. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Agnitus - Apps To Help Kids Learn

Reward: 191 Platinum
Sign up for the free trial. No purchase necessary. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Survey for employees

Survey requirements: Must be an employee of a company 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

TJ Maxx Gift Card For Mother's Day

Reward: 80 Platinum

Report problem

General Survey

Reward: 142 Platinum
Survey requirements: Must be 21+ years old. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Survey for Californian Residents

Survey requirements: Must be 18+ and live in California 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Decision Makers in Digital Online Advertising

Survey requirements: Must work for an agency or marketer and be involved in digital/online advertising and have decision-making role for search advertising. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Six Flags Tickets

Reward: 62 Platinum

Report problem

Join The Fresh Ideas Panel

Reward: 165 Platinum
Sign-up to the panel, answer the questions and complete with valid contact details. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Survey Cash Machine

Reward: 91 Platinum

Report problem

Shipping Manager

Reward: 106 Platinum
Click on the banner and complete registration. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Walmart $500 Gift Card

Report problem

Get Easter Candy

Register with valid details. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

$1,500 Victoria's Secret Gift Card

Register with valid details. No purchase required. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Outback Steakhouse

Reward: 47 Platinum

Report problem

Get a Pair of Nike Shoes

Report problem

TransUnion Credit Score

Reward: 661 Platinum
Enter valid credit card details and complete identity verification questions. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

BigBuckSurvey - $3,500 Springtime Giveaway

Reward: 86 Platinum

Report problem

LoansCompete

Reward: 48 Platinum
Register with valid contact information then verify your phone number. No purchase necessary. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

Rendakor
04-30-2014, 07:25 AM
The fact you actually filled all of those out is really funny.

Poetic
04-30-2014, 07:26 AM
$80 in plat is sweet if you get it. I could never give out my info like that though.

blakegrandon
04-30-2014, 07:32 AM
$80 in plat is sweet if you get it. I could never give out my info like that though.

87 offers for $80 worth of plat, assuming each offer took as little as 5 minutes that's 435 minutes, or roughly $11 per hour, not terrible but nothing to write home about given the headache it would take to go through all those offers.

Getting the plat should be the least of the OP's problems given that he's most likely gotten his identity stolen, probably had to install a ton of malware, and I'm willing to bet he signed up for some free trials that will bill him later...

Phoenix, you're really not doing anyone any favors by creating a ton of threads about the same issue, it will just make it harder to get people to realize these sponsors are a load of crap.

The sponsor system has got to go but there is nothing gameforge or Cryptozoic can do about your "owed" platinum. good luck collecting from sponsorpay.

Daer
04-30-2014, 07:41 AM
I thought you left?

Blitz1775
04-30-2014, 07:45 AM
I do feel if he honestly went through all those things legitimately (to the point of using real info, regardless of how sketchy that is), then they (sponsorpay) should be held liable to pay. Though definitely it would be good for Cryptozoic to apply pressure in the sense that they don't want to associate with any sham company since it brings down their own brands reputation.

Kami
04-30-2014, 07:47 AM
As I've stated already, please stop creating duplicate threads.

You've already made your point several times over. Only thing you can do at the moment is wait for assistance from Support services.

Edit: Although now that I look more closely, I'm not entirely sure how you're eligible for all of them. Not to mention that they all state that "Participation is being verified."

wurtil
04-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Look, I'm sure as a college educated 40-60 year old Information Worker who makes important decisions in digital/online advertising, consumes one or more alcholic beverages a week, and pulls down 65k+ in Miami or Broward county, you understand that these processes take time as each company wants to make sure you are who you really say you are in the surveys...

Alequel
04-30-2014, 08:06 AM
TransUnion Credit Score

Enter valid credit card details and complete identity verification questions. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

I think this one is the only one I have actually lol'ed. Valid credit card.... ok...

Poetic
04-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Definitely getting billed for that one.

BossHoss
04-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Survey for College Educated Adults

Survey requirements: Must be 25-65 with a household income of $50k+, must have a College Education. 3 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

Report problem

TransUnion Credit Score

Report Problem

So you are over 25, have a household income greater than 50k/yr, a college education and a valid credit card?

And you gave up your identity information for $6.61?

Report Problem

Niedar
04-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Quality victim blaming going on in here.

Makizushi
04-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Not to mention that they all state that "Participation is being verified."

This here is key. He's not getting any (plat), because SponsorPay still need to "verify" that he's actually done what they asked.

So you are over 25, have a household income greater than 50k/yr, a college education and a valid credit card?

And you gave up your identity information for $6.61?

Report Problem

Yeah. To his parents.

Not blaming anybody. I'm just saying he's impatient. His platinum has not (yet) been denied, they are still verifying his actions. Only when they have verified them, can they deny or grant the plat. Patience.

Svenn
04-30-2014, 08:34 AM
This here is key. He's not getting any (plat), because SponsorPay still need to "verify" that he's actually done what they asked.

Except they won't. That's how those things work. You do what they say and they go "Oh, we can't verify that you've done it" and never pay out. It expires in a couple days and you get nothing. If it doesn't pay out within minutes the chances of it ever paying out are close to none.

GatticusFinch
04-30-2014, 08:37 AM

This. These surveys are attached to the game for people to use. When they use them and everything goes (predictably) south, how are you going to blame him for using them? They should not even be available. Every person this happens to is another person who will ultimately bad mouth the game which is something worth more than including these surveys.

MasterN64
04-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Your assuming he actually did any of it and isnt just trolling the forum.

Besides it is entirely obvious the whole thing is sketchy from the get go and falling for something so obvious is almost as bad as actually scamming someone. These things are around and stay afloat because people are stupid enough to fall for them and keep them afloat.

Thrawn
04-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Calm down guys, it's a beta. If you expected these offers to work in a beta state you obviously have no idea how software development works.

blakegrandon
04-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Your assuming he actually did any of it and isnt just trolling the forum.

Besides it is entirely obvious the whole thing is sketchy from the get go and falling for something so obvious is almost as bad as actually scamming someone. These things are around and stay afloat because people are stupid enough to fall for them and keep them afloat.

Then why are they part of the "Hex experience"?

These things are around and people are "stupid enough" to fall for them BECAUSE they are on the main page when you go to buy plat, they are an "alternate" payment method sanctioned by Gameforge and indirectly by Cryptozoic.

Get rid of the sponsors, they're sketchy, lead to malware/stolen identities/credit card charges, and serve no purpose other than to provide Cryptozoic with a short burst of cash infusion.

I won't be buying any platinum from Cryptozoic until the sponsor system is a goner, I will speak with my wallet and it's a shame more people aren't willing to place the blame where the blame lies, strictly with Cryptozoic. Cryptozoic has the ultimate say and Cory even said he would disable the sponsors if it turns out they're not trustworthy, blaming the victim regardless of how stupid or how much he's trolling is blame shifting at it's finest.

Calm down guys, it's a beta. If you expected these offers to work in a beta state you obviously have no idea how software development works.

Sponsorpay and the system that is set up has nothing to do with Hex being in Beta. It's a scam perpetrated by Sponsorpay and companies like Sponsorpay. Like other posters have repeatedly said; the odds of every seeing a payout is extremely slim and the chance for fraud/malware is high.

Makizushi
04-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Except they won't. That's how those things work. You do what they say and they go "Oh, we can't verify that you've done it" and never pay out. It expires in a couple days and you get nothing. If it doesn't pay out within minutes the chances of it ever paying out are close to none.

Oh I know that Svenn. It's just that he can't claimed to have been ripped off until those things actually say they've been denied. :)

But I agree: these sponsors don't reflect nicely upon the game, IMO.

Rendakor
04-30-2014, 08:59 AM
CZE obviously needs the extra cash from SponsorPay to stay afloat; why do you want Hex to fail?

MasterN64
04-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Then why are they part of the "Hex experience"?

They shouldnt be. I never said that they were a good thing to have around at all. Gameforge threw them in as a tag along and Cory just hasnt decided to have them pull the plug on it if he does have the power to do so.

But this still doesnt make me feel bad for someone that didnt do their research and just blindly gives out personal information for pennies. People doing that is just as much an issue as the people soliciting them.

WayAbvPar
04-30-2014, 09:03 AM

Well played, sir.

blakegrandon
04-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Oh I know that Svenn. It's just that he can't claimed to have been ripped off until those things actually say they've been denied. :)

But I agree: these sponsors don't reflect nicely upon the game, IMO.

What if they never change to say they've been denied?

Expecting these "sponsors" to be on the up and up is like expecting your credit card not to get billed when you give it to a random stranger on the internet...

Saying these "sponsors" are legitimate companies is laughable, they're shady companies most likely based overseas engaging in massive fraud.

GatticusFinch
04-30-2014, 09:16 AM
CZE obviously needs the extra cash from SponsorPay to stay afloat; why do you want Hex to fail?

I assume this is sarcasm, but I can't even tell anymore on these forums.

Makizushi
04-30-2014, 09:27 AM
What if they never change to say they've been denied?

Then Phoenix has valid reason to complain. ... with the guys from SponsorPay. He did not strike a deal with CZE or with GameForge, but with SponsorPay.

Saying these "sponsors" are legitimate companies is laughable, they're shady companies most likely based overseas engaging in massive fraud.

Again, I agree with this.

rjselzler
04-30-2014, 09:34 AM

Win-Win imo.

I stand by my cheesy-Facebook game stand. You have a solid argument, but it is for gold not plat, IMO. Sadly, it would probably lure even more people in right now, since there is no reliable way to earn gold until tourneys are fixed.

...Ugh, I take that back. I really hope they just get rid of the whole sketchy interaction. MtG has developed a real underbelly of sketchiness and skeez (http://www.dacardworld.com/blog/gaming-news-and-new-products/what-happens-in-vegas/) in the past few years, and this feels like the Hex equivalent. Do not want.

Marsden
04-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Then Phoenix has valid reason to complain. ... with the guys from SponsorPay. He did not strike a deal with CZE or with GameForge, but with SponsorPay.

Phoenix has a valid reason to complain if the requirements of each one (which frequently involves small print and signing up to the things applied for, not just being contacted about them) has been met.

Thrawn
04-30-2014, 09:49 AM
The opinion that SponsorPay is scummy, border line a scam and puts a very bad tarnish on Hex's image as a whole may be the only thing I've seen to date that apparently almost the entire forum agrees on.

MasterN64
04-30-2014, 09:51 AM
MtG has developed a real underbelly of sketchiness and skeez (http://www.dacardworld.com/blog/gaming-news-and-new-products/what-happens-in-vegas/) in the past few years, and this feels like the Hex equivalent. Do not want.

This isnt an issue with MtG Hex or Gameforge. It has to do with the fact humanity sucks and many will gladly kill their mother and yours for a buck. This isnt something that has suddenly happened or only happened to those guys. It has been going on since single celled organisms appeared and will continue untill it doesnt work anymore.

And it will always work because people arent smart enough to take simple precautions to prevent it.

blakegrandon
04-30-2014, 09:54 AM

Complaining to Cryptozoic/Gamforge about the failures of sponsorpay is a valid reason. Cryptozoic deserves to know when their partners are not delivering on their promises, they also deserve to know when their partners are scams or are acting unethical.

Getting rid of Sponsors should be a priority for Cryptozoic.

And it will always work because people arent smart enough to take simple precautions to prevent it.

Or you know, Cryptozoic could possibly not condone scammers by giving them a direct pipeline of people being told here's an alternative to paying...

So much victim shaming, much wow.

hacky
04-30-2014, 09:56 AM
I am posting here only to point out that there is at least ONE reputable company among the surveys and offers, disproving "they are all scum and want your info to scam you".

Reward: 332 Platinum
Complete the full ZipCar registration with valid contact details. Only valid applications will be credited. No purchase required. 2 days ago Offer clicked - Participation is being verified

ZipCar is a company that I have noticed around the downtown Seattle area, and recognized in that giant list of offers.

While I have never used the company myself, I did some cursory research, and the offer is to apply for membership, which requires a driver's license and credit card. (from their front page, http://www.zipcar.com/)

And they seem to have a multiple locations. I did a search on Yelp, and found there's one nearby city, with a 3.5 star rating.

----

The point of the above, is not to sell you on ZipCar. I've never used them myself. But, given that they're a company running in multiple United States locations for over a decade (source: google), they're an example of a company looking for leads using a trialpay-like system. One likely "reputable" company to disprove "they're all shady".

EDIT: And of course, if you didn't give them a valid DL and credit card, they probably won't credit you that $3.32 of platinum.

Djbousquet
04-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Hex will never be a AAA game while associated with this sort of thing.

Branding IS important, and these companies are associated with terrible brands that rip off their customers.

My sediments exactly. Over the last few days I have seen quite a regression with the overall customer satisfaction of this game and it's company. If your game is in ANY WAY related or associated with people getting scammed and their identity stolen it will be a black eye with-in the community. Tournaments are still down, beta keys are being given away with false advertising about the game, people are still having numerous issues with the client and the customer service through gameforges site is atrocious, I have been sitting on the same ticket for 5 days and the few times they tried to fix it they screwed it up even more. The final response I got was this is a bug we are currently working on and will leave your ticket open until we get around to solving it. This is not what I wanted to see in the early stages of beta none the less at all from HEX and Cryptozoic.

This jump from Alpha to Beta was EXTREMELY premature and almost everything associated with the change ESPECIALLY the association and partnership with Gameforge is backfiring dramatically.

I want absolutely nothing but the best for the future of this game but what I have seen recently is extremely disappointing.

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm sorry, these sponsored things might very well be required for a lot of people to have some plat who can't afford to pay.

So far we have one person who has posted a list of things they did many of which are mutually exclusive and they can't possibly actually qualify for all of them. Who has not yet even spoken to the proper support site, but more importantly hasn't waited a requisite amount of time. The one time I successfully used sponsor pay it took 3 business days to get my game currency. Though I will likely never use it again it did make a crappy ios game some money they wouldn't have otherwise gotten from me.

Its too too early for the witch hunt IMO. Yes many people dislike them, but a number greater than 0 like using it as an option or it wouldn't be so popular.

blakegrandon
04-30-2014, 10:11 AM
I am posting here only to point out that there is at least ONE reputable company among the surveys and offers, disproving "they are all scum and want your info to scam you".

The problem with that logic is that it is all based on the assumption that zipcar is the one collecting the information as the "sponsor". Often zipcar is either paying an ad company for results or the "sponsor" is outright stealing zipcars logo/information to make it look legitimate.

Many of the sponsors I've looked at are "Enter for a chance to win a gift card for X", making it appear to be legitimate but it's anything but.

For every legitimate sponsor I would say at least 3-4 of them are scammy.

I've never said that they're ALL shady, just that most of them are scams designed to pry as much information as possible from the user.

If the survey is asking for my Credit card info, drivers license, and Social security number the odds of them being on the up and up are nonexistent.

Kami
04-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Just to be clear, nobody has stated that your identity would definitely be stolen or anything of the like.

What has been said is:

1. Users who choose to participate in the SponsorPay program give up large chunks of personal information.
2. That personal information occasionally goes far beyond what is reasonable.
3. There is a lot of 'small print' details that may make you ineligible even after the user has already given their information.
4. That information can potentially be abused - as you can't guarantee every person in a company is ethical, let alone the company itself. Identity theft is an extreme scenario but consider the type of information you're giving away.
5. To mitigate this risk and protect users from themselves (as not all users are savvy), it is preferable to eliminate this option.

There are cases where it has worked and there are cases where it hasn't but it seems overwhelmingly negative in the grand scheme of things. The fact is, you may eliminate a viable method to earn platinum but you also reduce the chances of users being harmed because they don't have the choice to make an error to begin with.

This should be read and understod: http://www.sponsorpay.com/privacypolicy-en.html

This is the whole F2P 'whale' that companies hope for and it exploits users that people are only recently starting to realize.

Thrawn
04-30-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry, these sponsored things might very well be required for a lot of people to have some plat who can't afford to pay.

Its too too early for the witch hunt IMO. Yes many people dislike them, but a number greater than 0 like using it as an option or it wouldn't be so popular.

People who can't afford to pay are the people most likely to be hurt by unwanted charges, identity theft and all the other crap often associated with these offers.

But to be fair Cory could come break into your house, beat you up, then rob you and you would still post a thread defending it, say people just don't understand games and probably suggest a fund raiser to thank CZE for the experience. :p

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 10:22 AM
So, eliminate the only thing allowing some people to play by removing this service, that just seems like it makes that person unable to play this game, and go to a game that supports it with the exact same risks.

Doesnt change the the fact that the ability to earn money for hex when you have none is an inclusive thing. Some of the offers may never pay out and just collect your info, and that sucks. But some of them will also get someone some packs to draft.

I cant say the positives outweigh the negatives, but there's definitely an echo chamber thing going on in this thread. Fact is it's not all bad, and there are upsides. I personally don't like it, but I can see why experimentation and a trial period could be useful for CZE to get more info.

@thrawn, I would defend Cory for doing that to you, yes. But not in general. I'm actually against this program as well and stated such very early on.

Kami
04-30-2014, 10:23 AM
So, eliminate the only thing allowing some people to play by removing this service, that just seems like it makes that person unable to play this game, and go to a game that supports it with the exact same risks.

You forget that there will be a PvE component that requires no platinum?

schild
04-30-2014, 10:25 AM
There aren't really any upsides but I don't care about writing an essay for the fanboy segment.

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 10:28 AM
I have not forgotten that, no. But also platinum will assist in getting PVE players going, it will let people who want to do the PVP thing a little do so, it will absolutely enable getting some gold on the AH. Many people look to these bonuses, more or less because they are trained to need them. Hex PVE may be wholly different and you really do never need to pay a dime for a perfect experience. But almost no one will go in expecting that. This lets people who need that bump, have access to it to get into the game, and that is unequivocally a good thing.

I dont necessarily think think it out weighs the bad, once again. I'm just saying there are upsides as well.

blakegrandon
04-30-2014, 10:32 AM

Sorry, but if the kickstarter had launched with this in play you might have an argument. Free PVP was never on the table without selling PVE stuff on the AH for platinum.

The sponsor system is flawed because it is easily putting the user base at risk, even if it allows some people to play for "free" there is a huge cost associated with working with shady companies.

Kami's post was spot on but I think Kami is underestimating the possibility for fraud and abuse of the sponsor system, a lot of the surveys ask a lot of critical information for stealing an identity, a lot of them try to get you to install malware, and there is no vetting in place to ensure that the companies even exist.

If I wanted to steal personal information or even login information for Hex users, it would be incredibly easy to set up a series of "surveys" asking simple questions and offering enough plat where people give truthful answers.

The risk outweighs the benefits of the sponsor system by a huge gap and it needs to be eliminated.

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 10:44 AM
As a user base we can't make that call. It's ultimately up to CZE, it will depend on the number of problems reported and the amount of revenue gained. If this one person is the only guy to have issues, and they know it is working for a larger subset of players because they are getting payments from the sponsor and paying out plat, then this is all blown out of proportion by rights.

Facebook asks for all kinds of information as well that I think is super shady, Information is the currency of the Internet. And most us companies ask require SSNs which I think they shouldn't o that either. =\

Makizushi
04-30-2014, 10:50 AM
This should be read and understod: http://www.sponsorpay.com/privacypolicy-en.html

Thank you, seriously. -That- is very useful.

hacky
04-30-2014, 11:13 AM
And most us companies ask require SSNs which I think they shouldn't o that either. =\

This is not true: most US companies do not and should not ask for your SSN.

The "companies" that require one's SSN are mostly financial institutions (banks and accounting firms) and other companies that require official verification of your official identity. And many only ask for the last 4 digits for verification.

Other institutions that require SSN include government, public services and schools.

TL;DR Never give your SSN out to just anyone.

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Cable companies electric companies telephone companies... Gas, any utility I guess. All financial institutions obviously. Pretty much any company you're required to deal with regularly. Sure I can go buy a frozen yogurt and keep most of my details safe, but yes.

Rxauin
04-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Don't know if CZE is monitoring this thread or not, but I wont be buying platinum through gameforge. Which is unfortunate because it turns me from a willing payer into a F2P'er and limits my ability to do tournaments and my ability to enjoy non-PVE stuff.

hacky
04-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Cable companies electric companies telephone companies... Gas, any utility I guess. All financial institutions obviously. Pretty much any company you're required to deal with regularly. Sure I can go buy a frozen yogurt and keep most of my details safe, but yes.

I'm trying to remember if I needed to give my SSN for utilities. It makes more sense for gas, power and telephone (public utility), but I don't remember if I needed it for anything else.

But yes, obviously not the froyo. :D

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 11:24 AM
That's such a weird statement. It's like saying I refuse to shop at places that use merchant warehouse.

You out don't usually even know who a particular store merchant account is with.

You could try to get an account on a shard GF isn't handling, but I'm not sure when we'll see those other shards.

ossuary
04-30-2014, 11:29 AM
I think he meant he wasn't going to buy any plat until the interface is moved to in-game... maybe?

blakegrandon
04-30-2014, 11:35 AM
That's such a weird statement. It's like saying I refuse to shop at places that use merchant warehouse.

You out don't usually even know who a particular store merchant account is with.

You could try to get an account on a shard GF isn't handling, but I'm not sure when we'll see those other shards.

Maybe it's just me being in the retail industry but I absolutely ask who a retail store's credit card processing company is before buying anything on CC or Debit card. Too many shady companies that don't properly protect their systems to the point where I tend to pay with cash just to alleviate any headaches.

People are absolutely within their right to not support Hex for choosing to partner with Gameforge.

Is gameforge a deal breaker for me? No, but the sponsors are definitely pushing me close to walking away.

The only way to get a company to listen is to threaten to walk away and if they don't listen then walking away is the only option.

GatticusFinch
04-30-2014, 11:41 AM

It's not weird. That is the primary reason why companies like Pay Pal exist, to put a layer of protection between the buyer and the seller when they may be scared off of an arm's length transaction.

DarkSeverance
04-30-2014, 11:42 AM

I did get a massive amount of spam mails and phone calls... but almost no plat....Just like Facebook and other programs that use these you have to "Read everything that they require you to complete".

As an example a Car Insurance one, fill in the information for a quote. It makes it seem you just fill out information and they give you a quote. In the fine print it usually states you have to talk to the agent and switch. Some things require you to fill out groups of surveys or complete 'other' offers before the main one is completed. Almost all of them asking for quotes, information, requires you to talk to the rep as they try to sell you or complete the deal. Simply filling out the information doesn't just reward it. There are a few that do, but they tend to be lower plat rewards. Straight forward ones tend to be things like sign up for rewards. Some offers have been sign up for Blockbuster, so you have to sign up and complete register with them. Then cancel before you get billed.

That is the main issue with services that offer things like that. There is usually stuff hidden in the fine print that people don't realize it leaves a person feeling like they've been scammed.

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Right.... But you can use paypal through gameforge.... That's how I paid for my plat.

GatticusFinch
04-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Right.... But you can use paypal through gameforge.... That's how I paid for my plat.

And the fact that people are still scared away from Gameforge is a testament to the problem at hand. The mere association with these surveys is scaring people away.

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Or that people are doing what people do and overreacting. It's pretty clear that gameforge will remain a partner for hex. CZE is very happy with the partnership. Any people who still just can't be affiliated with a game affiliated with gameforge will have to suck it up. And the fact still remains that a lot more people trust and use them than don't, so if perception is reality, a lot more perception is pro enough gameforge to give them a huge network of users.

wolzarg
04-30-2014, 12:08 PM
I have to point out that there is a form of these that i have never had a problem with and that is "safe". That is the ones that make you watch a commercial. Sure they only pay a few cent but they are also crystal clear on what you have to do and i have had zero problems the few times i used them.

Svenn
04-30-2014, 01:25 PM
I have to point out that there is a form of these that i have never had a problem with and that is "safe". That is the ones that make you watch a commercial. Sure they only pay a few cent but they are also crystal clear on what you have to do and i have had zero problems the few times i used them.

Those are definitely the best ones. Sometimes even those try to install things on your PC while you watch though, so be careful. :)

DarkSeverance
05-01-2014, 02:23 PM
I have to point out that there is a form of these that i have never had a problem with and that is "safe". That is the ones that make you watch a commercial. Sure they only pay a few cent but they are also crystal clear on what you have to do and i have had zero problems the few times i used them.It does come down to a little common sense. If the 'reward' isn't a big reward, like it only offers 1-5 plat then usually the requirements aren't difficult. They could be as easy as watching a video. When the 'reward' is a high amount, that looks like simply filling out a survey... then there are usually other things that go with that survey, like completing the survey and 2 other offers. Free money is rarely free and easy.

Turtlewing
05-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Fundamentally the principle from the middle panel is in play with any sort of "we'll give you free stuff" advertizmnet that you see. That includes the version where they pay rewards for your "valuable" personal information.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/mathematically_annoying.png

Saeijou
05-01-2014, 03:24 PM
very accurate ^^

Dralon
05-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Ok, I also do not want Hex associated with these types of offers. If it is at all possible contractually they should get this removed.

That being said, anyone who has been on the internet for more than a few seconds should know not to give out personal information for spam crap offers like this. Chalk this up to a life lesson learned Phoenix, CZE and Hex owe you nothing. But the knowledge you have gained will be worth more than $80 in the long run.

Revoluketion
05-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Yuck sponsors for plat that stuff sucks.. you should try to keep your real stuff private and use fake stuff =P
but i for one am against such marketing strats!

saffamike
05-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Agreed - I think associating the brand with this cheapens it. In my opinion the cons far outweigh the pros.

Makizushi
05-02-2014, 02:43 AM
Agreed - I think associating the brand with this cheapens it. In my opinion the cons far outweigh the pros.

Quite literally this time :D

Xenavire
05-02-2014, 03:19 AM
Quite literally this time :D

To quote a talking dog, "Ba-zing!"

Phoenixfire
05-02-2014, 03:40 AM
Well I hit a dead end...

Gameforge referred me ro Billing support, billing support reffered me to sponsor play...

Just for a reply from sponsor play... to be clear.. many offers don't send email confirmation, they know this so its there way of asking me for the impossible to get what im owed.

Dear user,

thank you for your inquiry and the proof!

In order to process your claim, we will need you to also forward or screenshoot the registration email you received from the sponsor with complete header (= date, time, sender and receiver).

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Baris
SponsorPay Support Team

L1ght
05-02-2014, 04:20 AM
I know it's been said but I thought I would add my 2 cents...

After spending $300 on this game already I was not expecting to be sharing company with F2P mobile phone games & Facebook games.

Stay classy Hex. This isn't you.

DuroNL
05-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Gameforge as a publisher in the EU market is fine, heck even in the USA market...

but please don't make it into a cheap survey filler machine when i want to BUY plat, i don't need free cents :P

To the OP, sad to hear that SponsorPlay owes you 3k Plat, but judging from the info you provided and their feedback, i'm guessing you won't be getting all of it. the downside is all these affiliates do have your information now so they can sell it and spam you, be smart and scroll down every spam mail you got and there should be a line that lets you un-subscribe from future emails.

Or reply with the subject unsubscribe and type a small tekst you do not want to receive any more emails from them or their affiliates.
they have to comply to this as it is within EU consumer law, and if i'm not mistaken GameForge and Sponsorpay are EU companies!

Kami
05-02-2014, 07:36 AM
To the OP, sad to hear that SponsorPlay owes you 3k Plat, but judging from the info you provided and their feedback, i'm guessing you won't be getting all of it. the downside is all these affiliates do have your information now so they can sell it and spam you, be smart and scroll down every spam mail you got and there should be a line that lets you un-subscribe from future emails.

Or reply with the subject unsubscribe and type a small tekst you do not want to receive any more emails from them or their affiliates.

Depending on the ethics of the companies, they could state they did but you have no way of verifying. Not to mention everyone they sold or gave your information to wouldn't necessarily comply.

Additionally, some unscrupulous companies make it so when you click unsubscribe, they send your information to even more places.

BossHoss
05-02-2014, 08:26 AM
One work around to spam I have found useful is to customize your junk to filter the word "unsubscribe". All junk will contain this word on fine print and your "real" mail will rarely contain it unless you expect it (then proceed to accept as safe for the individual cases).

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 08:36 AM
As I might have mentioned elsewhere, I'm neutral on these sponsor offers - personally I wouldn't ever consider clicking on the links, but I think individuals should have the choice (and the responsibility) to make decisions for themselves.

I'm also completely convinced that Cory and the team will ultimately make the absolute best choice for the game, irrespective of which side of this argument that happens to come down on.

That being said, I did have a conversation with Cory about the historical data they have to help determine whether or not this is a good idea (people who try it, retention rates, future purchases in games, support call volume, actual disputes, etc.). I can't imagine they could or would share it, but it paints a very interesting (and positive) picture of the impact these marketing arrangements can have. Again, that or may not matter at the end of the day, but it's important to realize that although Cory clearly has a "feel" for how he wants HEX to develop and grow there is significant data and thought that goes into each and every decision they make (and I love data-driven decision making). This certainly wasn't just "oh, lets do this sponsor thing" and that was it.

Also, I found it hilarious that most of the CZE folks were clicking on the offers and filling out surveys just to find the funniest, most ridiculous stuff they could find. ;)

Marsden
05-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Also, I found it hilarious that most of the CZE folks were clicking on the offers and filling out surveys just to find the funniest, most ridiculous stuff they could find. ;)

That is actually very interesting to know. If they're filling them out (with real info) they'll get a very good feel for how much junk emails/calls etc are caused by them and should get an idea if they are genuine offers or not that CZE want to be associated with.

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 09:03 AM
That is actually very interesting to know. If they're filling them out (with real info) they'll get a very good feel for how much junk emails/calls etc are caused by them and should get an idea if they are genuine offers or not that CZE want to be associated with.

Probably just all buying those Russian brides.

blakegrandon
05-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Really? I find it disconcerting that the CZE folks would go through the offers and surveys and still want anything to do with it.

In your entire post never once did I see customer safety in terms of what would make them decide to keep or scrap the sponsors program.

Data is all well and good, but I hope the data that determines whether the program stays or goes isn't manipulated by the company pushing it. Data is easily manipulated, retention rate might be high but what it doesn't say is how many accounts were compromised, how many computers ended up with malware, how much spam the users received, how many users had credit cards charged because of some obscure terms and conditions.

What the data won't show are how many people steer clear of games associated with programs like that, you can only count the people that are using it.

To me the negatives far outweigh the positives because the potential for harm is very real regardless of what their "data" says.

ossuary
05-02-2014, 09:08 AM
To be fair, your accusations don't contain that data either. Unless you can prove that your own machine was compromised BY this activity and not by some other activity, which would still only bring the number of documented cases up to 1. :)

Svenn
05-02-2014, 09:10 AM
To be fair, your accusations don't contain that data either. Unless you can prove that your own machine was compromised BY this activity and not by some other activity, which would still only bring the number of documented cases up to 1. :)
That's an easy test... get Anti-virus software. Download some of the offer stuff. Check for viruses/spyware. Guarantee that every single offer that requires any kind of download (which is a lot of them) will do that.

As for the others, give your phone number to one of the mobile ones. Let me know how that goes for you...

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 09:13 AM
In your entire post never once did I see customer safety in terms of what would make them decide to keep or scrap the sponsors program.

It's implied. I could have added 50 other things to my list, but I cut it short and added "etc." For example, customer safety issues would be reflected in both support ticket volume and disputes (both of which I mentioned).

It's clear you have a significant issue with this particular decision. I was just offering up a couple of observations about the process that went into making the decision.

blakegrandon
05-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Sure, if Cryptozoic wants to pay me to download all the crap that's available through these offers for the hassle I would have to go through to prove that there is malicious activity I would be more than happy to be a guinea pig.

Are you serious? You really think these offers don't have anything malicious hidden in their shady websites, links, offers, downloads?

I guess links to Russian Mail order brides means the rest of the offers are on the up and up right?

It's implied.

It's clear you have a significant issue with this particular decision. I was just offering up a couple of observations about the process that went into making the decision.

It's not implied because it's one of the most important parts of the decision making process and no, it isn't wrapped up into customer disputes/retention rates.

Also I have a significant issue with this particular decision because it doesn't take more than five minutes to realize how bad it is for Hex in the long run to have something like this be part of the game.

The process that went into making this decision seems like they just gave gameforge the go ahead with minimal investigation or they took the data at face value.

The risk to the user base is real and Cory even stated on the now locked thread that they would pull it if the sponsors turned out not to be trustworthy.

Colin, do you consider mail order brides to be trustworthy sponsors?

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Also, look at it this way...

CZE was presented data about why they should do this. They make a reasonable decision based on that data at that point in time. If they were to go through the rest of the life of the game without reevaluating that decision, I'd be pretty surprised.

As the game progresses (even now) they get more and more data - from the original source, but also from their UI (they can track "Buy Platinum" clicks and compare it to completed transactions), from each and every marketing micro-transaction that gets posted to people's account), from support tickets, from social media (including this forum), etc. As long as they constantly reevaluate that data, we'll end up in the right place for the game with respect to these marketing offers.

It's not implied because it's one of the most important parts of the decision making process and no, it isn't wrapped up into customer disputes/retention rates.

Also I have a significant issue with this particular decision because it doesn't take more than five minutes to realize how bad it is for Hex in the long run to have something like this be part of the game.

The process that went into making this decision seems like they just gave gameforge the go ahead with minimal investigation or they took the data at face value.

The risk to the user base is real and Cory even stated on the now locked thread that they would pull it if the sponsors turned out not to be trustworthy.

Colin, do you consider mail order brides to be trustworthy sponsors?

Yes, it is implied. You can't make any value judgements about whatever data they have. You haven't seen it. You're basing your entire argument on your perception of the situation.

Of course Cory would change his decision if the sponsors were proven to be untrustworthy - that'd be responding to new data.

Hey, if people can make money in the mail order bride business, and they're following all applicable laws, all the power to them! ;) It constantly amazes me how people make money in this world.

TL; DR - Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it isn't good overall for the game. You (and I) just don't have that information.

blakegrandon
05-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Hey, if people can make money in the mail order bride business, and they're following all applicable laws, all the power to them! ;) It constantly amazes me how people make money in this world.

Please tell me you're joking.

If partnering with companies that include sponsors in the mail order bride business(which definitely is not following all applicable laws) makes good business sense to Cryptozoic I might as well just walk away right now.

I have been assured that the services linked to "free" platinum are trusted providers and should be fine, clearly if we find out that is not the case we will discontinue it immediately. Also, that platinum isn't free, the sponsor pays for it, so it ends up back in the HEX ecosystem.

I'm not going to infect my computers in an attempt to prove that there is malware on the sponsor "surveys", it shouldn't require a back and forth argument for Cryptozoic to realize that these sponsors will only harm the reputation of Cryptozoic.

It constantly amazes me how many people will defend terrible decisions as long as they either benefit from it or it doesn't harm them.

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Please tell me you're joking.

If partnering with companies that include sponsors in the mail order bride business(which definitely is not following all applicable laws) makes good business sense to Cryptozoic I might as well just walk away right now.

That's what the winking dude was for. They clearly operate in a grey area - it's not necessarily illegal though. It's funny, and easy to ignore.

I'm not going to infect my computers in an attempt to prove that there is malware on the sponsor "surveys", it shouldn't require a back and forth argument for Cryptozoic to realize that these sponsors will only harm the reputation of Cryptozoic.

It constantly amazes me how many people will defend terrible decisions as long as they either benefit from it or it doesn't harm them.

You can't say that without having data. You obviously don't need to be the one to collect that data, but it exists, and continues to be collected. At the point in time CZE saw that data, they made their decision based on it. Who knows how that will change in the future.

To be clear, I'm arguing the value and necessity of using data to make decisions, not emotion.

blakegrandon
05-02-2014, 09:55 AM
To be clear, I'm arguing the value and necessity of using data to make decisions, not emotion.

Fine, let's talk raw data.

There is at least one sponsor that is offering mail order brides.

There is at least one sponsor that links to downloads for Malware.

There is at least one sponsor that will charge your credit card(and good luck getting them to stop short of canceling the credit card)

The data shows that there is malware/credit card fraud/mail order brides, and that is on a cursory glance.

Again, look at the quote I referenced from Cory.

If those are trustworthy partners even after showing the data that there is malware/credit card fraud/mail order brides, then Cryptozoic is being really vague on what constitutes a trustworthy partner.

IF they are not trustworthy sponsors then by Cory's own statements it should be discontinued immediately.

This is based on data and not emotion. I am not twisting any words I just want to know whether Cryptozoic really considers malware, mail order brides, and more as being trustworthy services.

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Fine, let's talk raw data.

There is at least one sponsor that is offering mail order brides.

There is at least one sponsor that links to downloads for Malware.

There is at least one sponsor that will charge your credit card(and good luck getting them to stop short of canceling the credit card)

The data shows that there is malware/credit card fraud/mail order brides, and that is on a cursory glance.

Again, look at the quote I referenced from Cory.

If those are trustworthy partners even after showing the data that there is malware/credit card fraud/mail order brides, then Cryptozoic is being really vague on what constitutes a trustworthy partner.

IF they are not trustworthy sponsors then by Cory's own statements it should be discontinued immediately.

This is based on data and not emotion. I am not twisting any words I just want to know whether Cryptozoic really considers malware, mail order brides, and more as being trustworthy services.

Let me play Devil's Advocate...

So, assuming these were all verified (well, the mail order brides one is 'cause I saw that at CZE). That's 3 bad offers. Out of how many possible offers? 1000? 10,000? 50,000?

Is it worth throwing the whole thing out for 3 bad offers? Why not selectively prune the "bad" ones, and leave the "good" ones active?

Also, the Credit Card one - if that actually exists who seriously puts in their CC information? That's financial Darwinism...

Bottom line - you're providing very limited data, that may or may not be representative of the data set as a whole. You have to consider ALL the data available. And CZE has hundreds of thousands more data points available to them on which to make their decisions than you do.

Also, there's something I'm specifically not telling you, but remember this when we have a postmortem on this conversation at some point in HEX's future. Howz that for cryptic? ;)

Marsden
05-02-2014, 10:09 AM
I took a quick look to see what there was and test one out but couldn't find anything I felt like clicking on.

Actually, not quite true. There was one for 7 Plat for downloading gimp (www.gimp.org) and I figured that was harmless enough to test the system. The button instead went to a survey for a supermarket so I just closed it down.

blakegrandon
05-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Is it worth throwing the whole thing out for 3 bad offers? Why not selectively prune the "bad" ones, and leave the "good" ones active?

Yes,Because it's clear they're not going to go through each offer to vet it and make sure the sponsor is trustworthy. This isn't like they're partnering with one company Coca Cola to run a survey of the users, these are mass generated and there is no reporting system or way to vet them.

I have been assured that the services linked to "free" platinum are trusted providers and should be fine, clearly if we find out that is not the case we will discontinue it immediately. Also, that platinum isn't free, the sponsor pays for it, so it ends up back in the HEX ecosystem.

Let me be clear when I say there are far more than 3 shady sponsors, you don't need a sinking ship to know when the boat is taking on water.

Do me a favor, go take a couple of those surveys, you don't need the platinum but surely you wouldn't subject other users to something you weren't comfortable with right?

All of the data aside these are primarily scams and shady as hell surveys. They have no place in Hex and I can't believe you're advocating that they should be around even when the data shows that at least "some" of them are corrupt.

Svenn
05-02-2014, 10:20 AM
I took a quick look to see what there was and test one out but couldn't find anything I felt like clicking on.

Actually, not quite true. There was one for 7 Plat for downloading gimp (www.gimp.org) and I figured that was harmless enough to test the system. The button instead went to a survey for a supermarket so I just closed it down.
Be glad you didn't. The download offers, especially ones linked to a reputable application like GIMP, are not what they seem. Yes, it will install GIMP... but it uses an installer that's bundle with a bunch of Malware.

Marsden
05-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Be glad you didn't. The download offers, especially ones linked to a reputable application like GIMP, are not what they seem. Yes, it will install GIMP... but it uses an installer that's bundle with a bunch of Malware.

I would have aborted as soon as anything untoward showed up, don't worry. It was just to see how the process went and if it looked dodgy or not. As it was, it failed at the first hurdle.

blakegrandon
05-02-2014, 10:28 AM
I would have aborted as soon as anything untoward showed up, don't worry. It was just to see how the process went and if it looked dodgy or not. As it was, it failed at the first hurdle.

By the time you go to "abort" the download it's probably too late.

Hell even loading these web pages can be bad news, trusting that they're not running malicious codes behind the scenes is like trusting a hooker that you're her first client ever.

Evening opening up these surveys is a huge risk that shouldn't even be trusted, there is no vetting going on and these are not big companies doing surveys, these are "companies" probably located in Eastern Europe playing a numbers game to get at least one sucker to do the "survey"

Gwaer
05-02-2014, 10:50 AM
You're just fear mongering. I've checked a few of these out. And not seen anything to support this kind of nonsense you're spewing. There might be some bad eggs. There's definitely a lot of crapware you don't need bundled with these downloads but nothing that I'd call a virus. That's not to say there aren't some bad eggs potentially. But it's not as pervasive as you're claiming.

blakegrandon
05-02-2014, 10:54 AM
You're just fear mongering. I've checked a few of these out. And not seen anything to support this kind of nonsense you're spewing. There might be some bad eggs. There's definitely a lot of crapware you don't need bundled with these downloads but nothing that I'd call a virus. That's not to say there aren't some bad eggs potentially. But it's not as pervasive as you're claiming.

Which is it?

There either isn't a lot of crapware and possibly viruses or there is.

Gwaer
05-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Crapware != virus.

some of these places obviously recoup the money they're paying for your plat by serving you ads to your PC after downloading their programs. But they aren't viruses. You can just uninstall them. They don't attempt to alter the settings in your computer to hide from you or even download other programs. At least the ones I found.

blakegrandon
05-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Crapware != virus.

some of these places obviously recoup the money they're paying for your plat by serving you ads to your PC after downloading their programs. But they aren't viruses. You can just uninstall them. They don't attempt to alter the settings in your computer to hide from you or even download other programs. At least the ones I found.

Because you've gone through the programs to ensure they aren't hiding keyloggers/spyware/viruses/backdoors?

Sorry, but your assumption that these programs are safe and not viruses waiting to happen are a false sense of security.

Call me fearmongering if you want but these aren't reputable companies and the programs are far from safe to download.

hacky
05-02-2014, 11:34 AM
You can't change a data-minded person's opinion with anecdotes and fear. You prove your point with data and concrete examples.

blakegrandon
05-02-2014, 11:40 AM
You can't change a data-minded person's opinion with anecdotes and fear. You prove your point with data and concrete examples.

I don't have to prove my point to Gwaer or Colin. I just have to hope that Cryptozoic actually looks into it instead of just laughing all the way to the bank. The silence from Cryptozoic is kind of chilling though, it would be nice to get some kind of response of where they stand on things like malware and mail order brides.

Svenn
05-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Btw, this is the type of stuff I've been talking about: https://twitter.com/drobviousso/status/461982053396148224

@HexTCG @STARPH0ENIX Oh damn, I didn't know CZE was associated with these kinds of things. Makes me reticent to give them my business.

Jugan
05-02-2014, 12:00 PM
From my experience, only the ones that said "click to view this website" worked. Literally none of the other ones I completed worked, and I 100% for sure met the requirements.

Gwaer
05-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Btw, this is the type of stuff I've been talking about: https://twitter.com/drobviousso/status/461982053396148224

Isnt that the same single guy that has made 4 threads about it on these forums, that have all been combined into this thread?

you certainly don't have to take my word for it on the fact that I didn't see viruses, but I loaded several programs into a VM, and debugged exactly what they did to the best of my ability, and didn't see anything particularly bad. Ymmv, but your incessant ranting about it seems unfounded after my brief exploration.

blakegrandon
05-02-2014, 12:21 PM
you certainly don't have to take my word for it on the fact that I didn't see viruses, but I loaded several programs into a VM, and debugged exactly what they did to the best of my ability, and didn't see anything particularly bad. Ymmv, but your incessant ranting about it seems unfounded after my brief exploration.

Yes, because I'm sure we can take your word for it that the programs are safe because you downloaded a couple of them to test them out.

Sorry, but dismissing those of us that believe these sponsors aren't safe to use as ranting is just childish.

At the end of the day Cryptozoic will either get rid of the sponsors or they won't, but I'm not going to sit here and say that these surveys are even remotely safe. Me and Svenn have experience dealing with these "sponsors" and it's not something Hex should be associated with.

Eierdotter
05-02-2014, 12:36 PM
i was wondering where you found these "sponsors"
now i have and took a look at them.
the things you can do there to "earn" platinum either take too long for the reward
or they require you to download some crap (with high potential to include malware)

the best offers seem to be the ones where you watch a youtubevideo, but they net you almost nothing.

not sure how desperate you have to be to actually participate in these "sponsor" stuff.
i suggest you mow the lawn of your neighbour and spend the earned money on plat.

Gwaer
05-02-2014, 12:39 PM
There are places in the world that isn't an option, that this can be real value.

Svenn
05-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Isnt that the same single guy that has made 4 threads about it on these forums, that have all been combined into this thread?
No, it's not. That's a guy responding to the guy who has made all the threads (@Starph0enix) complaining on twitter. It's a third party realizing that Hex is associated with that crap and re-thinking giving money to Crypto.

Again, reputation is the issue. When that reputation is tied to something associated with shady offers, spam, malware, and crappy f2p games... it's going to damage your reputation just by being associated with it.

Elementalist
05-07-2014, 06:25 AM
You need to click buy platinum in the client, to be moved to the plat store for your region, then on the bottom of that page it should say "Earn Platinum" with Sponsorpay or Superrewards. There are no offers in my region (UK) at the moment.

A bit late but...yep I don't even have the option of "Earning" Platinum. So ignoring all the potential bs/scam/advertising/other crap. This is simply unfair as there is no option for me.

Still not quite sure why it goes to gamepay.de and is in Euro...I'd have to convert to Euro anyway...give me straight USD.

Philomorph
05-10-2014, 11:46 PM
I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I can tell you I've had a fair amount of experience with the "Sponsorpay" system, and it really is a huge scam. Basically they purposely make it sound like you'll fill out a few surveys and get paid like 75 cents worth of plat. By the time you go through tens of pages trying to get your information (which they immediately start spamming heavily), you are confronted with a final page that says you *must* complete certain offers, all of which require some sort of membership, subscription, "free" trial, etc.

It's not even worth the time it takes to go through the maze they create even if it wasn't a scam. But it is, and I'm extremely disappointed to see Hex involved in this. I urge Cryptozoic to divorce themselves of any association with these things.

Shivdaddy
05-11-2014, 07:27 AM
How about people who will never use this FEATURE, not complain about it. Obviously it was not meant for you. Little Timmy next year will not be allowed to take mommy's credit card for a spin, do you think he will LOVE the chance to get FREE plat? Anyone with common sense knows this is scammish, no need to point out the obvious.

IndigoShade
05-11-2014, 09:05 AM
How about people who will never use this FEATURE, not complain about it. Obviously it was not meant for you. Little Timmy next year will not be allowed to take mommy's credit card for a spin, do you think he will LOVE the chance to get FREE plat? Anyone with common sense knows this is scammish, no need to point out the obvious.

I really hope you're not serious. If you are, it seems that your argument here is that we shouldn't announce to the world that something has a high probability of being intentionally misrepresentative along with potentially having unforeseen consequences because people should obviously already know better. Furthermore, that the prime candidate to such a practice is a minor, whom likely can't supply the information requested of them legally in the first place. Is that about the gist of it? "Seems legit."

Elementalist
05-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Let's add the mention this "feature" is not available to everyone, irrelevant of it's age legallity, it's not even a choice for some...

Common sense doesn't apply to most people from my own experience, look at your post Shivdaddy as a good example of lacking it.

blakegrandon
05-12-2014, 05:08 AM

Considering that Cory stated he believes the sponsors are trustworthy, it's up to the community to tell him that the sponsors are NOT trustworthy.

Whether he's listening or not I can't tell, the silence when it comes to sponsorpay has been deafening on the part of Cryptozoic.

I'm complaining about it and I suspect most other people are complaining about it because it brings the whole game down and devalues Hex.

Had Cryptozoic started the kickstarter with sponsorpay in place I know I personally would have avoided the kickstarter, it cheapens the experience to a level that even Free to play with cash shop mobile games doesn't cheapen it.

When your game partners with sponsors that include mail order brides, malware, and sketchy identity compromising "sponsors", then something is very wrong.

zadies
05-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Have you actually seen any cases of maleware... because otherwise it's just hearsay and slander.
Mail order brides aren't technically illegal in and of themselves though depending on how the bride is signed up for a site there can be some legal issues there. Immoral would probably be a better word to describe it.
Saying something is sketchy or possibly identity compromising is very easy to do, but if you don't actually have a specific example it also falls under slander and hearsay.
So unless you can provide direct and concrete proof all your really doing is likely illegal in some parts of the world if they can provide concrete proof that your assertions are false.
While I don't like the idea of behind the sponsor pay offers saying the are things you can't prove that they are is just inappropriate.

Gulbech
05-12-2014, 06:41 AM
How much plat can I earn if I get a new wife? Maybe it would be with it as my current wife is expensive in maintains :P

blakegrandon
05-12-2014, 07:54 AM
Have you actually seen any cases of maleware... because otherwise it's just hearsay and slander.
So unless you can provide direct and concrete proof all your really doing is likely illegal in some parts of the world if they can provide concrete proof that your assertions are false.

Somehow I don't think "concrete proof" would satisfy you. As to having actually seen cases of malware, in the "surveys" I took a look at they repeatedly asked to download some extremely sketchy .exe files to "finish" the survey. There are plenty of cases of the sponsorpay downloads turning out to be malware, a simple google search for sponsorpay malware shows plenty of "concrete proof".

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/15/9442649.page

Hearsay and slander would be one thing if it was coming from a reputable company offering surveys in exchange for ad dollars. Sponsorpay isn't using vetted companies, anyone and their mother can set up a "survey" that could compromise the users.

You really think sponsorpay is good for the health of Hex?

Glae
05-23-2014, 06:09 AM
Those places are all scams. You will basically never get your points, and if you do, it will be so few that its irrelevant. Ie: sign up for 40 things and the ones that actually pay out will be less than 100 plat.

I really wish Hex was taking funding on their own, instead of using a super scummy third party solution who takes a cut.

MuffLord4
05-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Why 3000 plat? Isn't 40 surveys like 270plat?

Hibbert
05-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Between the surveys(the downsides of which are discussed thoroughly in this thread), the gift card payment methods(cashing in gift cards seems a bit sketchy in general, but being able to do it directly to a game currency seems even worse), and the quite harsh anti-fraud prevention(which should be comforting, but the fact it triggers so fast makes me think they experience LOTS of fraud), I doubt I will be purchasing much plat until they switch over to a different processor.

I haven't run out of draft tickets yet, but when I do and need some plat, I think I'll actually go to the trouble of generating a temporary CC# through my bank. I'm sure it is actually safe, but something about it just gives me a bad vibe.

I hope if they do try any further sponsored plat deals, they go through a more reputable looking site. I've played a couple of F2P Android games that use a "watch a video, get a bonus" mechanic, and they didn't feel anywhere near as sketchy as the surveys in this thread sound.

HyenaNipples
05-23-2014, 07:40 AM
I've done about 10 or so things and have gotten paid for nearly all of them. You just need to recognize the ones that are "real" and the ones that are "super fake." I can usual net 100+ plat in under ten minutes... not exactly first world wages at 6 bucks an hour, but it pays my entry fees for draft (i already own the packs). Of course, the well does run dry so you have to wait for some new ones.

MuffLord4
05-23-2014, 07:41 AM
I've done about 10 or so things and have gotten paid for nearly all of them. You just need to recognize the ones that are "real" and the ones that are "super fake." I can usual net 100+ plat in under ten minutes... not exactly first world wages at 6 bucks an hour, but it pays my entry fees for draft (i already own the packs)

Which were the "real ones", I hear alot about recognizing stuff but so far nobody said which are real and nobody made a list.

HyenaNipples
05-23-2014, 08:46 AM
I'll try and whip something up sometime today.

Dynimix
05-23-2014, 08:51 AM
How much plat can I earn if I get a new wife? Maybe it would be with it as my current wife is expensive in maintains :P

Hear, hear! :P

blakegrandon
05-23-2014, 11:55 AM
I'll try and whip something up sometime today.

The problem with the lists of "safe" sponsors is that those sponsors will quickly meet their quota or the less safe sponsors will just change their offers to make them look safer.

Pretty much any of them that ask for personal information, downloads, or clicking on links to proceed have the potential to cause harm to the users.

Use sponsorpay at your own risk, at $6/hour the risk for harm far outweighs the potential upside IMO.

Rendakor
05-23-2014, 12:39 PM
You really think the unsafe sponsors are going to be reading this thread, then mimicking (is that a word?) the ones we list here as safe?

Glae
05-23-2014, 12:42 PM
No, theres a constant influx of different offers and that its difficult to make a rule for someone to follow if they want safe offers

blakegrandon
05-23-2014, 02:28 PM
No, theres a constant influx of different offers and that its difficult to make a rule for someone to follow if they want safe offers

You really think the unsafe sponsors are going to be reading this thread, then mimicking (is that a word?) the ones we list here as safe?

Basically what Glae said.

The problem is that a "safe" sponsor list shouldn't be necessary, if the sponsors aren't trustworthy then it should be removed as a "feature" immediately, Cory said as much weeks ago.

Sponsors will adapt their methods if it's not getting the results they want,they will change the hoops they make you jump through, and what they pretend to be in order to get you to click the download button or give them as much information as they want.

In another thread I went through the process of one "survey" where it asked me for personal info, tried to get me to sign up for credit cards, tried to get me to download extremely questionable .exe files, and redirected me several times to a bunch of sketchy websites.

These "sponsors" aren't legitimate companies asking you to provide feedback, the majority of them are shady third party companies with questionable goals.

Shivdaddy
05-25-2014, 12:02 PM
I have got 524 plat so far. This feature is awesome. I can only imagine how much a young kid with no money or credit card will appreciate this.

mach
05-25-2014, 12:30 PM
I have got 524 plat so far. This feature is awesome. I can only imagine how much a young kid with no money or credit card will appreciate this.

And I can only imagine how much that kid's parents will love all the resulting spam/malware.