PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox / Fish Bowl / Casual - Phantom Drafts?

nicosharp
04-28-2014, 02:27 PM
So MTG:O has this feature called phantom draft, where you don't keep the cards/packs you draft with but can win small prizes if you are top 2. I believe MTG:0 charged $1-$4 depending on the prize structure

The reason I am mentioning this is that I think it would be nice to have a lower threshold drafting environment where players could test draft still after alpha with little to no regrets on the risk they are taking. The entry could be 100plat ($1), or perhaps some amount of gold.

This may have been discussed in detail before, but I am bringing this up now as players are complaining about the tournament structure. Wondering if a more casual super low risk(to no risk) draft template will be available at some point?

Xenavire
04-28-2014, 02:29 PM
While this is a fine idea, I think the official stance on it for now is 'We have no plans for this sort of feature.'

This is largely because they want the current tournaments up and running and constantly firing.

nickon
04-29-2014, 07:41 AM
I think this is a fine idea. Although considering having kickstarted HEX, we have enough booster packs to fuel ourselves playing regular drafts probably untill the next set (i don't know what the typical lead time of sets will be in HEX). Once Set 2 hits at least I would probably want to play regular drafts so I get to keep the Set 2 cards. But it would be nice to chip in the occasional phantom draft just to sharpen up the blades :D

nicosharp
04-29-2014, 07:44 AM
I think this is a fine idea. Although considering having kickstarted HEX, we have enough booster packs to fuel ourselves playing regular drafts probably untill the next set (i don't know what the typical lead time of sets will be in HEX). Once Set 2 hits at least I would probably want to play regular drafts so I get to keep the Set 2 cards. But it would be nice to chip in the occasional phantom draft just to sharpen up the blades :D
What makes you think this feature is for kickstarter backers? We are not going to be the majority of the playerbase. There will be people coming in strictly for free-to-play, and others that want to test the waters before they commit all-ins. There will also be people trying to just understand what the mode is.

Poetic
04-29-2014, 07:47 AM
It'd be OK if it wasn't a 100% up time type thing. Like maybe a Friday-Sunday once a month. I'd hate for the real drafts to become barren because of it.

nicosharp
04-29-2014, 07:56 AM
I completely agree Poetic. It takes away from the overall pool of players for paid tournaments. limited timer newbie drafts could be a solution.

Kami
04-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, didn't MTGO only do Phantom Drafts for pre-release events?

nicosharp
04-29-2014, 08:17 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, didn't MTGO only do Phantom Drafts for pre-release events?

Hi Kami,
No, they actually had a long standing one for planeswalkers that was free and kind of a testing ground for new MTG:O accounts. Of course, you do have to pay for the initial MTG:O account and got 2-3 free phantom draft tickets (because there was a small price structure, those tickets were not completely free.)

Further discussion about this off the forums, has lead me to think rewarding players through PvE quests with phantom draft tickets, or in treasure chests, will be a good way to introduce timid players to the draft and PvP scene. I think it could be a limited queue thing, either 1 or 2 days a week, or only be available for a limited window of time.

nickon
04-29-2014, 02:49 PM
What makes you think this feature is for kickstarter backers? We are not going to be the majority of the playerbase. There will be people coming in strictly for free-to-play, and others that want to test the waters before they commit all-ins. There will also be people trying to just understand what the mode is.

I was just responding to your idea from the stance of a kickstarter backer. We are part of the game as well after all? ;-)

RoaRawR
04-30-2014, 06:00 AM
I agree would love phantom draft but for a sole reason, no punk drafters.

mach
04-30-2014, 06:04 AM
Plantom drafts have the benefit/drawback of not adding new cards to the economy. So I'd think they'd be a good idea a month or two after each set's release, as a way to stop too many cards from tanking the value of people's collections.

YourOpponent
04-30-2014, 06:37 AM
I'd be ok with it later down the road on a weekend once a month or so. However I'm not sure this will be necessary. It all depends really with how easy it is to get gold and the gold to platinum conversion rates. If the conversion rate is well enough then this wouldn't be necessary.

fido_one
04-30-2014, 06:58 AM
It would be great to put in at some point, especially for players that have never drafted before.

I'm totally into drafts now, but would not have been without alpha and/or my draft tickets. New players after release probably won't be getting draft tickets [at least easily], and this could help break them in.