PDA

View Full Version : Does returning to hand reset modifications to a card?

cferejohn
04-28-2014, 11:50 PM
The things that are usually accomplished by auras in M:TG are done with permanent changes to a cards stats. I looked through the FAQ but I can't find an answer to this - do cards revert when they change zones (e.g. go to the discard pile from play or get returned to hand)? Sorry if this is covered somewhere - can't find it if so.

hammer
04-28-2014, 11:55 PM
The things that are usually accomplished by auras in M:TG are done with permanent changes to a cards stats. I looked through the FAQ but I can't find an answer to this - do cards revert when they change zones (e.g. go to the discard pile from play or get returned to hand)? Sorry if this is covered somewhere - can't find it if so.

No changes to cards are permanent (unless reverted) and changes therefore remain even when the card changes zone.

hex_colin
04-28-2014, 11:59 PM

Changes are permanent for the remainder of a given game, no matter where the card ends up. Lots of folks have not caught on to the completely awesome power of Reversion yet. :)

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 12:01 AM
Reversion is very good and pretty much no one plays it.

*edit, Colin beat me to it.

Patrigan
04-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Made a swift addition to the wiki: http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Permanent . When time allows it, I should upgrade all those pages, but at least the information is already there.

cferejohn
04-29-2014, 12:33 AM
Hmm, that's kind of a kick in the teeth for bounce effects (though I guess you have things that bounce and modify now - maybe a 'bounce and revert' in the future).

How about the various types of counters? Do they remain "on" a creature if it is bounced/killed?

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 12:39 AM
Yes, revert takes care of counters too.

There are also no tokens, everything that generates a card creates a real card that persists for the duration of the game as well.

Rapkannibale
04-29-2014, 01:49 AM
Remember you can also revert your own things if they got a permanent negative effect.

zadies
04-29-2014, 05:52 AM
Also bouncing something that has counters on it does not remove the counters from the card like say a construction plan or soul marble will still have it's current charges.

cferejohn
04-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Yes, revert takes care of counters too.

There are also no tokens, everything that generates a card creates a real card that persists for the duration of the game as well.

There are several cards that explicitly generate tokens as counters (the incantations, Soul Marble, etc). Do those counters persist if the card is somehow moved between zones? I'm not sure if there's a way to move constants between zones, but there may be eventually.

vickrpg
04-29-2014, 07:58 AM
yes counters persist across zones. and yes constants can be moved across zones by being destroyed, returned to hand, reshuffled into the library from graveyard, voided and unvoided (solitary exile)

if it says "permanent" in hex, it is permanent until reverted. Transformation doesn't remove the effects either, if there is no reversion.

Yoss
04-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Counters are not supposed to persist across zones, from what I remember of previous CZE posts. If they do, we should report a bug. Counters are not card modifications, they're like traditional counters in games like MTG.

Patrigan
04-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Counters are not supposed to persist across zones, from what I remember of previous CZE posts. If they do, we should report a bug. Counters are not card modifications, they're like traditional counters in games like MTG.

would be cooler if they did though...

Might give opportunity for more cards interacting with counters. We already have seed counters on two different cards and the incantation cards all use the same counter as well. Counters will be awesome in PvE. Imagine an equipment that tells you to "add a seed counter to all cards witha seed counter instead". The Briar Legion generating fun!

But that would also create opportunity for cards that remove opposing counters. Might be an interesting reserves card if a card with counters is important in the metagame.

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 09:37 AM

I have never heard this, not even in Alans bug thread. At least I don't think so. Got a link to any post about it? Because in-game it is the same across the board, anything bounced keeps counters, no exceptions (unless a revert crops up.)

Yoss
04-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Purple-tracker doesn't have very good search functions, so I'm having trouble finding it. It's possible I'm imagining things. Still, if counters were actually card mods, why aren't they card mods?

Khendral
04-29-2014, 10:03 AM
I don't know if it is intended or not, but counters DO remain when a constant changes zones (Soul Marble does, at the very least)

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Purple-tracker doesn't have very good search functions, so I'm having trouble finding it. It's possible I'm imagining things. Still, if counters were actually card mods, why aren't they card mods?

I had assumed they are card mods. They are affected by reversion like a mod. Seems intuitive to me, but I might be missing something.