PDA

View Full Version : When should set 2 come out?

AstaSyneri
04-29-2014, 01:11 AM
Hi!

There has been a heated discussion in our guild when the rumor got out, that CZE planned to released set 2 in Open Beta. Arguments range from "by then we'll have been playing with set 1 for so long, it's a good thing" to "The game kills itself by making itself inaccessible for gamers who have been waiting for full release and already are face with a steep incline to get competetive."

What do you think? When should set 2 cards be available? [No Polls? Really? I'll have to do that manually, then]

Options are:

I want set 2 as early as possible!
Set 2 could be released at Launch
Set 2 should not come earlier than Launch + 3 months

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 01:20 AM
It's complicated, everyone is right. We will have had set 1 for a very long time at that point. But it is a large set, and the game is new. So if we're going to have a set for a stupid long time this is the set for it to be.

Releasing set 2 too early will in my opinion give new players a steeper learning curve. That's also a problem.

I think I'd rather see set 2 at launch +3 months. But I'm really harsh on beta testers, and I feel like we should suffer for the good of the game. Most likely CZE will swing the other direction and we'll see set 2 in 3-5 months. Regardless which phase that finds us in.

dont forget that new players at the time of release will likely have to learn set 1, set 2, PVE, and set 3 will not be too far away.

Lyckan
04-29-2014, 01:46 AM
I would like to see it about a month after the full release of the game. It gives some time to check out the PvE content.

Mike411
04-29-2014, 01:48 AM
I always assumed that set 2 would be no earlier than launch + ~3 months... as set progression is a full-launch thing I thought.

Agreed with Gwaer that beta players should not be the focus (although compensation for stuff like bugged tournaments should be given of course)

Cernz
04-29-2014, 02:04 AM
cory said something about the upcoming sets during his interview, for set 2 there is no fix eta
(could be 3-5 month after open beta), after set 2 is realeased there will be a 3 month cycle
for new sets.

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 02:13 AM
I think that once set 1 is free of all bugs, set 2 should be 3 months away.

By that time, QA should be able to sniff out the majority of set 2 bugs, and it should be near enough release that new players shouldn't be overwhelmed.

Zomnivore
04-29-2014, 02:15 AM
Maybe a month or two after the general population have access to the game.

Athravan
04-29-2014, 02:28 AM
"Launch" + 3 months sounds right to me.

But there is an argument to be made that an open beta can be considered a launch of sorts; some games stay in open beta for a long long time (path of exile for example), and consider an open beta a "soft launch". If open beta means full and unrestricted access to anyone who registers, then timing it from then isn't really gating any newbies.

People are always going to be new to the game; some people will join in set 2, some people will join in set 10 and have a lot of catching up to. The nature of the game means the newer you are, the further behind you will be, but everyone can catch up and be on fairly equal footing.

So I'd be voting for 3 months after everyone has access to the game; assuming everything is stable and running smoothly then.

Patrigan
04-29-2014, 02:34 AM
1-3 months after the release of a sufficient number of PvE dungeons.

The steep learning curve is curbed by the PvE aspect. Players will be able to learn rules as they go. This is usually the most difficult part..

When they get into actual PvP, they'll just have to learn the cards. If you have to learn 300 or 600 cards, it makes no difference. You will learn as you play and as you buy packs. Each match you learn 15-30 new cards and each pack shows you at most 15 new ones.

Edit:
Also and just as importantly, if CZE doesn't foresee a good way to introduce players, it's gonna be bad anyway. You're afraid of the curve when there's just a measly 2 sets. Yet I want new players to come in for the rest of the life of Hex. In 10 years time, I STILL want to see new players. If I should go by "It would be too steep a curve for new players" then this game is doomed to die, no matter what happens. So card volume is NOT and NEVER should be a reason for a player to not join this game. If it is, then CZE has failed and we might as well jump ship now.

Voormas
04-29-2014, 02:40 AM
I actually think that Set 2 should come out just before launch (which I think should coincide with GenCon 2014), so long as there was a long enough Open Beta before then that totally new people won't be caught too off-guard

My reasoning for this? Well... I just want Set 2 + PvE okay jeez :P

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 03:22 AM
I actually think that Set 2 should come out just before launch (which I think should coincide with GenCon 2014), so long as there was a long enough Open Beta before then that totally new people won't be caught too off-guard

My reasoning for this? Well... I just want Set 2 + PvE okay jeez :P

Actually, previewing set 2 at gencon is an amazing idea. Regardless of the actual set release date.

Myrgard
04-29-2014, 03:52 AM
I think, that set2 should not under any circunstaces be released before the game full release, in fact it should only be released 3 months after,

We are not the only ones going to play, what Would you guys think if when the game primes, people there alredy have set 1 complete or near completion, PvP would be a nightmare, to win you would have to spend a fortune in set1 and set2 to compete(only draft and sealed beeing fair).

Lots of people would feel overwhelmed and drop out.

Magic arrived to portugal first booster i bought was homelands, but the game lauched 3 year early nothing i could do, in Hex there are people offering 100$ for a beta key, they cant enter because we are testing the game and its closed, then when they are able to enter alredy set2 on the run?? Just dont think it makes sense,

Hope Hex will keep good amount of gamers incoming(and staying), if they discover the game or try it at a later time its not Criptozoic fault.

I only discovered the game one month ago I was pissed i missed kickstarter, but i was happy i was given a chance to be slacker Backer. If i missed that and where axious waiting for a chance to go in and by the time i could enter i was alredy 1 set behind, it would feel extremely unfair.

I am also wishing for all features to be in the game as soon as possible can't wait for PvE and set 2 but(hopefully) we will be just a drop of water in the ocean this game will be and we cannot think only in us.

Malakili
04-29-2014, 03:55 AM
I think we've got to suck it up with Set 1 for a while. It sucks for us who have had it since October, but honestly I can just imagine how many people will be turned off from a game that starts releasing a new set just as they've begun buying the first set. Although that isn't a huge problem in practice because of the way blocks work, I can see a lot of new players being turned off by their brand new cards feeling out of date on day 1.

Voormas
04-29-2014, 04:33 AM
Yes but a lot of the new players will be arriving with Open Beta - as long as those people have at least 3 or so months before Set 2 I think that's fine; the game is going to be releasing new sets all the time, you can't worry about people being scared off by new stuff because that is just an inevitable part of a TCG

Malakili
04-29-2014, 04:47 AM
Yes but a lot of the new players will be arriving with Open Beta - as long as those people have at least 3 or so months before Set 2 I think that's fine; the game is going to be releasing new sets all the time, you can't worry about people being scared off by new stuff because that is just an inevitable part of a TCG

It depends on when they do their marketing. If they market open beta aggressively, then ok I guess.

TJTaylor
04-29-2014, 04:54 AM
option 3. It doesn't matter how long alpha/beta people have had to play with the same set. It was our choice to participate and we will survive having to play with set 1 a bit longer.

The game will be new to the rest of the world. New players should not be coming into several sets when a game is just releasing.

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 05:00 AM
option 3. It doesn't matter how long alpha/beta people have had to play with the same set. It was our choice to participate and we will survive having to play with set 1 a bit longer.

The game will be new to the rest of the world. New players should not be coming into several sets when a game is just releasing.

This isn't just about what we want, it is about what Cory wants, and he does not want to have the first set sitting stagnant for 6 months or more. We have been using the game for over 6 months now, but we only just got the full set a few weeks back, so if we are stuck with only set 1 for 5 more months, it is bad for everyone.

I think after open beta plus the full set one being bug-free, and about 3 months after both of those have been met, then we should absolutely see set 2, and I think Cory would agree with me.

Indormi
04-29-2014, 05:03 AM
If set 2 comes 3+ months after release, what are we looking at 1(Day)/4(April)/2015? I expect them to launch set 2, 2-3 months after open beta which in theory was only a few weeks after closed beta. With the current pace I guess somewhere around October-November would be my guess.

Edited the date to be clearer

ossuary
04-29-2014, 05:11 AM
3 months after "open beta" would be fine, as long as we don't move into "open beta" until everything is pretty much fixed, and it really is wide open to anyone who wants to come in (at that point, the game would basically be in a state of fully functional pre-release). Note, I'm not saying feature complete, just fully functional.

It would be ideal if set 2 didn't come out until 3 months after FULL release, but that might be asking people to wait too long, so a minimum of 3 months after open beta seems like a good compromise - it gives people who find the game once it's available for public consumption enough time to get to know the set before we move on to set 2.

Patrigan
04-29-2014, 05:23 AM
it gives people who find the game once it's available for public consumption enough time to get to know the set before we move on to set 2.

This argument just keeps popping up... Do you people care nothing for the people who will join in 2 years time?

I repeat, learning curve is NOT an argument for delaying a set.

zadies
04-29-2014, 05:30 AM
I think set 2 is going to need to line up with when the do the full pve launch. Wither that is during open beta or on launch day.
Set 1 really only focuses on half the races, so when pve fully launches there should be pvp cards that fully explore all 8 races.

AstaSyneri
04-29-2014, 05:33 AM

We might be surprised how many people categorically refuse to play a game that is not officially released/that doesn't have PvE implemented (I have several friends who told me that). And us being Alpha and Closed Beta "testers" should not count. As many as we are, we only make up a small fraction of the designated player base. We are the elite few ;-).

Personally I don't want to see set 2 until 3 months after the first wave of dungeons releases at the earliest. I'd feel somewhat cheated if set 2 was there "earlier" than PvE.

TJTaylor
04-29-2014, 05:39 AM
This argument just keeps popping up... Do you people care nothing for the people who will join in 2 years time?

I repeat, learning curve is NOT an argument for delaying a set.

It is when the game is just releasing since that will specifically shine a spotlight on how far behind people who thought they were going to be playing a brand new game actually are. 2 years down the line nobody expects that they won't have catching up to do.

That shouldn't happen as soon as the game is released though. That's pretty unacceptable and could be a deal breaker to a lot of people.

The people that join HEX at full release will out number us by a gigantic margin and they will ultimately decide whether or not HEX succeeds or fails.

Ravallian
04-29-2014, 05:45 AM
I think set two should be out 1-2 months AFTER release at the latest, I think its a good balance, bearing in mind, there should be plenty of singles and packs available for the new players to start collecting from day one due to us backers being addicted to opening packs!

MDRockstar
04-29-2014, 06:44 AM
3 Months after open beta seems about right to me. Plenty of time for new players to catch up. At the same time it will be boring to draft the same set until next year if CZE choose (release+3 Months). I started in magic like 8 years after release and didn't feel overwhelmed by new cards...(it's not a valid argument)

Daer
04-29-2014, 06:59 AM
I'd prefer Set 2 to launch 2-3 months after full release.

malloc31
04-29-2014, 07:48 AM
If the game launches with just set 1 then kickstarter players will have almost all the cards they need and new players will have almost none. Even after buying packs they will have nothing we are willing to trade for (or buy on Auction), since we already have them.

If Set 2 get released at the same time new players can be on an even footing with us for that set and at least trade/sell us set 2 cards and then buy set one stuff cheaply from us.

Having more options does not hurt new players. The fact that MtG has thousands of cards is something that makes it better then Hex, not worse.

Every time a new set comes out in a TCG it favors the new players who don't have the older sets anyways, it is always worse for the older players who just finished buying all the old cards and now have to buy new ones again.

Turtlewing
04-29-2014, 07:50 AM
If having 2 sets makes the learning curve too steep for new players there is a more serious problem than release dates. In the long term new players will have to deal with an ever growing history of sets.

I think set 2 should release shortly after open launch (like a month to work out the launch bugs/flood then release set 2).

vickrpg
04-29-2014, 07:53 AM
considering pve sets will also be tied to pvp sets, and we have yet to see a single final version of the PVE set 1, It's most likely it will still be a while before we see set 2. The way I see it, we've only actually gotten half of set 1, the PVP half, for a long time. I'm almsot sure there won't be a set 2 until launch+ 3 or more months.

DirtFarmer
04-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Is the plan to have 4 sets a year? Seems a bit much IMO. What are other current games doing with their expansions?

nicosharp
04-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Is the plan to have 4 sets a year? Seems a bit much IMO. What are other current games doing with their expansions?
What's up SacTown! - Yes, the plan was 3-4 sets (similar to MTG) At least 1 block per year.

halfwing
04-29-2014, 12:56 PM
I think the future milestones of the game, and what they should be marked by, should go like so:
Alpha -> Closed Beta
- Official hardware set up
Closed Beta -> Open Beta
-PvE added
Open Beta -> Release
- Set 2 released

Set 2 is already confirmed to be the start of the 'set timer', which seems like a perfect place to start up the game. In addition, the release of a new set will turn PvP into a 'learning environment', as the cards will be new to ALL players, giving new players a chance to settle in and get a feel for the game.

zadies
04-29-2014, 09:31 PM
considering pve sets will also be tied to pvp sets, and we have yet to see a single final version of the PVE set 1, It's most likely it will still be a while before we see set 2. The way I see it, we've only actually gotten half of set 1, the PVP half, for a long time. I'm almsot sure there won't be a set 2 until launch+ 3 or more months.

Yes but pve needs all 8 races to be viable. It makes no sense to only have half the races be viable on their own it would make much more sense for each race to have it's own starter deck when pve launches which would align the release date of set to to the actual launch of pve.

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
PVE sets are not tied to PVP sets.

PVE might rotate around, dungeons may come and go, and whatnot but it will be on its own schedule.

DanTheMeek
04-30-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm for the 3 months after open beta release point. Once open beta hits, the game is officially available to everyone, everyone will have had the opportunity to have played the game for at least 3 months with set 1, from there I think its fair to release a second set even if we're still in open beta at that point.

I think delaying beyond that would also be detrimental, both because they'll have to survive longer with out the influx of sales set 2 will likely bring, and because, quite frankly, they could actually lose some of their backers who move on from the game, forget about it, and don't come back. I think they've got everyone with a free weekly draft snagged hook line and sinker, but for the rest of us, there's no guarantees. I can't tell you how many games I got crazy into, DTCG included, then kind of hit a point of stagnation where the game became stale, slipped out of the game, either because I found something else to do with my free time, or just cause I didn't feel like doing THAT with my free time anymore, in most cases fully intending to come back to the game in the future... and never did. I'm not saying that will happen with Hex, but it certainly could, and its something CZE will have to consider when deciding when and how to roll out set 2.

Djbousquet
04-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Set 2 should come out 3-4 months after the actual games RELEASE. Having it any other way will be a extreme turn-off to new comers. It doesn't matter if we are in beta for 5 years. The game needs to stick with set 1 in beta and when release hits it should have a 3-4 month timetable for new players to get use to. There will be PLENTY of other features for people currently in beta to enjoy (PvE and the Pve cards as well as many other features the are supposedly implementing in the near future.

Dichdude
04-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Cory has said in an interview that they are looking to release set 2 up to 3 months after the release of the closed Beta;

Interview here - http://www.twitch.tv/infam0usne0/c/3993834

At about 50 mins in.

GatticusFinch
04-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Cory has said in an interview that they are looking to release set 2 up to 3 months after the release of the closed Beta;

Interview here - http://www.twitch.tv/infam0usne0/c/3993834

At about 50 mins in.

I don't see that happening, unless they plan on releasing set 2 before the complete game even launches.

Dichdude
04-30-2014, 06:15 PM
I don't see that happening, unless they plan on releasing set 2 before the complete game even launches. He explains why he wants the release in the interview but no word if open Beta will come before this point.

I can see CZE needing money though and the only way they are really going to get any large amount of money out of KS backers is by releasing a new set that you cant collect through KS rewards. Am I wrong?

GatticusFinch
04-30-2014, 06:18 PM
He explains that in the interview.

I can see CEZ needing money though and the only way they are really going to get any large amount of money out of KS backers is by releasing a new set that you cant collect through KS rewards. Am I wrong?

I'm not going to watch the whole interview. What did he say?

I don't understand the CZE needs more money angle. They got seven times the money they requested in the kickstarter. If they have to rush out set 2 before the game is even launched, what happened?

Dichdude
04-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Just fast forward to 50:21 into the VOD and you can get it straight from the horses mouth (so to speak).

Or if you cant watch the VOD - 3 month timer for set 2 starts from release of closed beta (or maybe before that) and 3 months from then on for the release of future sets.

Dichdude
04-30-2014, 06:35 PM
I'm not going to watch the whole interview. What did he say?

I don't understand the CZE needs more money angle. They got seven times the money they requested in the kickstarter. If they have to rush out set 2 before the game is even launched, what happened? Maybe, maybe not. Hex is quite a few months behind the original KS schedule so it is not unreasonable to think that the money is nearly all gone. After all they underestimated the time it would take; maybe how much it cost is not an unreasonable assumption to come to as well.

But either way, the only way there is going to be a large influx of money into the game as it stands is by releasing a new set that can't be got with KS rewards. Even if tournaments were working KS backers have the packs to play for free.

deathandtexas
04-30-2014, 06:51 PM
I would guess it will be a long time (~12 - 15 months). They still have to hammer out all the bugs with set 1... not to mention the million other things this game is supposed to have.

Cotton
04-30-2014, 07:01 PM
I would guess it will be a long time (~12 - 15 months). They still have to hammer out all the bugs with set 1... not to mention the million other things this game is supposed to have.

lol, yeah and everyone moves on from the game due to boredom. I think we'll see set 2 in Aug/Sep

Dichdude
04-30-2014, 07:09 PM

There is no guessing required......Cory has stated it will be in about 3 months from closed beta launch (give or take a month or so).

Arbiter
04-30-2014, 07:32 PM

PVE might rotate around, dungeons may come and go, and whatnot but it will be on its own schedule.

Yes and no...

PVE cards and events can help tell the story of new PVP cards (there are several cards in the PVP set that are thematically tied to the Kraken dungeon). Also new card abilities that crop up in PVP should find their way into PVE. But you are right in that there needs to be no sharp tie in to release times foe PVE. in fact, having PVE is great as it gives them little things they can do between major sets that don't need to be massive. Having both PVP and PVE work together to tell a story is important, however.

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 08:08 PM
That story can be told at any time, though. If you have many cards sharing a common theme that is not really fleshed out in set 1, and 3, you can have a pvp dungeon come out after set 4 that highlights those cards, and fleshes out that faction.

ronwac
04-30-2014, 08:45 PM
I think it really depends on what happens during Beta. If the PvE content is implemented swiftly and relatively problem free, then I think holding it off for a month or two after launch is definitely the way to go. If the PvE content is more difficult to implement than anticipated and it stagnates the Open Beta process, I wouldn't be as opposed to them releasing Set 2 prior to launch, but if this can be avoided I think it should be.

One of the problems releasing Set 2 prior to launch will be the price difference between cards in that set and Set 1. I'm curious how much more expensive Set 2 cards will be considering most of the Set 1 cards will be available in greater quantity from Kickstarter Rewards.

halfwing
04-30-2014, 09:07 PM

They are the same set. It was mentioned multiple times during the kickstarter. Both PvE and PvP cards will share a set symbol, to show they are part of the same set, while PvE cards will also have a marker showing them as PvE. There would be no reason to show a PvP set symbol on PvE cards, unless they were actually part of that set.

Likewise, taking a look at the wiki points out that Set 1 is comprised of 350 PvP cards, and 200 PvE cards. I also don't see how Chests could work if they WEREN'T shared sets. As it is now, I assume chests will only contain loot for cards of that set. If they did otherwise, having chests roll on a table of EVERY card, it would cause a 'rarity creep' where every new set makes it harder and harder to get any usable equipment from the game.

Dichdude
04-30-2014, 09:29 PM
They are the same set. It was mentioned multiple times during the kickstarter. Both PvE and PvP cards will share a set symbol, to show they are part of the same set, while PvE cards will also have a marker showing them as PvE. There would be no reason to show a PvP set symbol on PvE cards, unless they were actually part of that set.

Likewise, taking a look at the wiki points out that Set 1 is comprised of 350 PvP cards, and 200 PvE cards. I also don't see how Chests could work if they WEREN'T shared sets. As it is now, I assume chests will only contain loot for cards of that set. If they did otherwise, having chests roll on a table of EVERY card, it would cause a 'rarity creep' where every new set makes it harder and harder to get any usable equipment from the game.

So that means PvE will be available within the next 3 months...cool!

Ju66ernaut
04-30-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm still pulling for 3 months post-launch. I want new players to have time to really get into the game before being hit with a second set.

halfwing
05-01-2014, 04:15 AM
So that means PvE will be available within the next 3 months...cool!

The game IS behind schedule, and PvE hasn't been added yet, when it was probably meant to be. I think most likely, Set 2 will come 3 months after PvE is added, whenever that is.

ossuary
05-01-2014, 04:38 AM

Uh, no. This is quite a bit out of date. PVE content will have its own release schedule, with new batches of content/cards coming out from time to time, but that won't necessarily adhere exactly to new PVP set releases. In fact it would make much more sense for them to bridge the gap halfway in between each set or every 2 sets, so that the company isn't trying to get 2 giant batches of content out the door at the same time.

The PVE cards are completely independant of the PVP set numbers. The sets are PVP only and all come in the booster packs. There may be numbered identifiers for the PVE cards, but they won't be the same set names and numbers as the PVP cards use.

Dichdude
05-01-2014, 05:10 AM
The game IS behind schedule, and PvE hasn't been added yet, when it was probably meant to be. I think most likely, Set 2 will come 3 months after PvE is added, whenever that is.

I don't understand why people still think set 2 out after PvE is released or full release. Cory has quite clearly stated in an interview a couple of weeks ago that set 2 would be released within 3 months of closed beta to keep the experience fresh for the current player base.

Mahes
05-01-2014, 06:10 AM
I still think doing 4 sets a year is going to be a bit ambitious given how long it took them to get Set 1 ready. With set 1 they had the help of all the alpha testers to see unusual bugs with certain cards that helped to narrow down problems. I am not even sure if Set 1 is still fully ready yet. Set 2 will not have that advantage as nobody in the public will be testing it.

People have stated that once the foundation of the system is in place, that cards will be easier to work out and so bug fixes will be much faster. This was also said about the Alpha servers. We were testing and stressing the alpha servers so that the code could be worked out and understood. We all see how that went , when we transitioned to the Beta servers. No matter the planning, there will always be bugs that find their way into the system.

I hope I am wrong and they are able to do it, but I would not be upset if they went to a once every 4 months schedule on set releases, as I feel that extra month would give them adequate time to thoroughly test the cards.

ossuary
05-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Keep in mind that the 4 sets per year thing is also based on the idea that there will be a "Core" set each year, then your 3 "Block" sets, which are smaller in terms of total cards. The Core set would be comprised of mostly (if not entirely) reprints of staple or popular cards from the past, just like Magic does, and the 3 smaller sets are where you will see the new cards and mechanics being added.

So it won't really take much more programming work to do 4 sets a year this way than just 3 sets a year with no core set. It's mostly just managing timelines and getting new art assets for the core set reprints, which doesn't take programming work.

We will probably NEVER see another set of PVP cards as large or with as many new mechanics all at once as we are getting in Set 1.

Dichdude
05-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Cory has stated that set 2 is complete and ready to go and they are working on later sets as we speak.

Xenavire
05-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Cory has stated that set 2 is complete and ready to go and they are working on later sets as we speak.

Hold on - he never explicitly said they were coded and had gone through QA, and some people have mentioned that there are still balance changes taking place in set 2.

It isn't completely ready, but it isn't unreasonable for it to be ready within the time frame Cory mentioned.

Masquerade
05-01-2014, 09:50 AM
3 months post launch, hands down. The public should be able to be introduced to the game with only the first set. 350 cards is a decent amount to learn and I think the public should have the game before we get more sets. Besides if they're going to get anything else into the game before launch it should be PVE and the Auction Hall, and at least just making sure everything works properly...