PDA

View Full Version : Saving Primal Packs

YourOpponent
04-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Just curious to see if anybody else is saving their primal packs and if so why. I'm saving one for novelty sakes just to claim I have what is likely to be one of the rarest packs to ever come out in Hex. I'm also planning on saving the others to open probably during a convention or in case primal draft ever ends up happening...nothing else if neither of those things happen by set 2...then I might just save those primal packs anyway...something tells me that set 1 primal packs could easily become valuable years from now :)

That and I just think it would be cool to have a collection of a primal pack from each set that comes out!

hex_colin
04-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Just curious to see if anybody else is saving their primal packs and if so why. I'm saving one for novelty sakes just to claim I have what is likely to be one of the rarest packs to ever come out in Hex. I'm also planning on saving the others to open probably during a convention or in case primal draft ever ends up happening...nothing else if neither of those things happen by set 2...then I might just save those primal packs anyway...something tells me that set 1 primal packs could easily become valuable years from now :)

That and I just think it would be cool to have a collection of a primal pack from each set that comes out!

Yes. Guaranteed Legen... wait for it... dary chests stamped with special events (e.g. GenCon, in-game holidays, etc.).

Daer
04-29-2014, 09:08 AM
I'm saving both my primals and regular packs to open during conventions/events/when I actually need cards for a tournament. I'll wait until I have a reason to open my packs rather then just opening them all now.

Kami
04-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Yes. Guaranteed Legen... wait for it... dary chests stamped with special events (e.g. GenCon, in-game holidays, etc.).

And that, children, is how Colin met Cory. (j/k)

dogmod
04-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Another good reason to save gold... upgrade stamped chests instead of upgrading regular chests :)

DirtFarmer
04-29-2014, 09:56 AM
So am I being punished for already opening mine? I'm a king backer and recieved 6 of them. Was there some kind of announcement that we should hold off opening packs?

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 10:01 AM
So am I being punished for already opening mine? I'm a king backer and recieved 6 of them. Was there some kind of announcement that we should hold off opening packs?

No, those gencon rewards chests will be available to everyone that opens any kind of booster during the event. And we have never been told if legendary chests will have higher drop rates for event drops - they could be equal across the board, and only the extra loot you would normally get is affected.

Fairly sure the primal pack thing is simply conjecture and assumptions, although if there is a source I would be happy to see it.

hex_colin
04-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Fairly sure the primal pack thing is simply conjecture and assumptions, although if there is a source I would be happy to see it.

Definitely conjecture and assumptions. Nothing official.

Not like I have any reason to crack my Primals anyway, so it's a slam dunk for me. But, even if it wasn't, I'd probably keep a few to speculate anyway. What's the worst that can happen? Delayed gratification...

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 10:05 AM
What's the worst that can happen? Delayed gratification...

Fair reasoning. :)

Yoss
04-29-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm hoping the Conference rewards aren't too rare. Anyone that plays at least one or two tournaments during a convention should qualify for the rewards, similar to what they did at GenCon where you earned points for playing. If you spent a few hours at the Hex booth you pretty much for sure got the rewards. Difference in-client is that it's based on opening packs, but the basic idea should be the same: show up, participate, get rewards.

sukebe
04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
I am hoping the event promo cards will be very rare from the chests. It should be difficult to get them without going to the event yourself. I say this even as someone who is too poor to go to these events.

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 12:06 PM
I am hoping the event promo cards will be very rare from the chests. It should be difficult to get them without going to the event yourself. I say this even as someone who is too poor to go to these events.

This would be worse than not having them at all in my eyes - knowing that you got screwed royally by RNG during a limited time event? The idea is that you get these rewards for 'being there' at the time of the event, not for being lucky during the event.

Besides, last years rewards and this years rewards have to drop from the same chests this year - they are going to be inherently rarer anyway.

I think anyone who can realistically drop ~$20 on packs from the store during the event should be able to get a full set.

Yoss
04-29-2014, 12:08 PM
It should not cost any more to get them in-client than it would cost a local to go to the Con. GenCon is $80 for the most expensive entry, but really you only need 1 day to get the Hex rewards and that only costs $50. Therefore you should need no more than 25 boosters on average to get the rewards.

Xenavire
04-29-2014, 12:24 PM
It should not cost any more to get them in-client than it would cost a local to go to the Con. GenCon is $80 for the most expensive entry, but really you only need 1 day to get the Hex rewards and that only costs $50. Therefore you should need no more than 25 boosters on average to get the rewards.

I guess 25 packs is reasonable. But I expect doubles to turn up on the AH etc, so I would think you should be able to drop ~$20 as a less well-off player and still be able to get most, if not all, of the rewards.

I will happily overspend during the events if I am ensured to get a full set plus more to give away. I will spend very frugally if there is little chance I will get a set even for myself.

deeception
04-29-2014, 05:47 PM
I am pretty bummed out that I accidentally opened all my Primals.

The "Open All" button didn't have a confirmation and I clicked it accidentally in my excitement.

fido_one
04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
I am pretty bummed out that I accidentally opened all my Primals.

The "Open All" button didn't have a confirmation and I clicked it accidentally in my excitement.

Yeah, all open all arrows should have a confirmation at some point. I'd be ape if that happened to my primal stash.

YourOpponent
04-29-2014, 06:05 PM

Yeah that would be fair for it to be compared to the cost of the convention to get in for locals. Hopefully that's what is done.

deeception
04-29-2014, 07:58 PM
EDIT: Double post.

RobHaven
04-29-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm holding onto mine for special events as well. I don't really have much incentive to open them now anyway.

Chocmaw
04-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Alluded to in a previous post, but can someone confirm if Primal Packs are Set specific?

Cheers

BossHoss
04-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Alluded to in a previous post, but can someone confirm if Primal Packs are Set specific?

Cheers

Yes they are set specific and I know from asking in person so I do not have a link

hex_colin
04-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Yes they are set specific

You can mouse over them in the pack opening list and see that too - "Primal Pack Set001" or something similar. The art will likely be different too.

sukebe
04-29-2014, 10:58 PM

I still disagree, though I do see where you are coming from. I am in the camp that feels that promo items should be rare unless you actually go to the event that they are handed out in. Part of that experience is getting items that will be difficult to find elsewhere. I understand the pain of a collector who cannot get all the promo cards, that describes me in just about every game I play. I also know that if they are too easy/cheap to get then they are no long special cards/mercs. There is no joy (at least for me, as well as many other ocd collectors I know) in collecting things that are easy or practically guaranteed to get.

I am not saying people should have to spend hundreds of dollars, but I think the absolute minimum should be around $80.

(the following is really off topic so ignore if you like)
Also, remember that even locals need to pay for parking and food at large events. Food especially is costly unless you don't mind leaving for lunch (maybe dinner) then coming back, finding a parking spot, probably paying parking again then reentering the event.

Yoss
04-29-2014, 11:10 PM
Also, remember that even locals need to pay for parking and food at large events. Food especially is costly unless you don't mind leaving for lunch (maybe dinner) then coming back, finding a parking spot, probably paying parking again then reentering the event.

I'm fine with adjusting the numbers to be fair. Those online should not have advantage over those in person. Similarly, those online should not have to pay too much more than those in person.

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 11:11 PM
You also have to factor in that you can just buy the marked treasure chests on the AH for significantly cheaper than whole packs.

Yoss
04-29-2014, 11:16 PM
You also have to factor in that you can just buy the marked treasure chests on the AH for significantly cheaper than whole packs.

Sure, though I doubt they'll be that much cheaper. People will really want them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were $1 each or something.

You could also say that technically, the Hex portion of GenCon is only $10. The $50 is just for the entire event of which Hex is a tiny fraction. More reasonably, maybe you could say half the door fee plus the $10 Hex fee.

There are lots of ways we could calculate it.

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 11:20 PM
Honestly, the only reason I went to gencon, last year was hex. I spent around 600 bucks, got stranded at an airport overnight, and missed work because of it. It's a huge hassle for most people to go to a convention, and I don't think the price for sitting at home on your butt should be comparable to being local, and walking there from your house.

There should be incentive to go to events, and special things you get because of it.

Yoss
04-29-2014, 11:22 PM
There should be incentive to go to events, and special things you get because of it.

Sleeves are the "must be there" items.

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 11:24 PM
And sleeves are entirely untradable, and account bound. You go to blizzcon you get all kinds of swag with value to recoup some expenses. I think the promo mercs should be quite rare, and just spending $100 throughout the event from your couch shouldn't guarantee you one.

sukebe
04-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Honestly, the only reason I went to gencon, last year was hex. I spent around 600 bucks, got stranded at an airport overnight, and missed work because of it. It's a huge hassle for most people to go to a convention, and I don't think the price for sitting at home on your butt should be comparable to being local, and walking there from your house.

I agree 100%. Events are something special. I was all for there being no way but ebay to get the mercs if you could not go to an event. If they want these items to be special at all they should be rare drops.

Also, I have received several pm's saying that I am being elitist. I assure you I am not. I am very poor as I am unable to get a job due to mental illnesses. Even if I had the money, I have trouble in large groups of people I do not know. These two things make it very unlikely I will get to go to these events myself. I just feel that events are special, as are the promos that you get at them and do not want them to be cheapened and rendered common by anyone with $50 to $100 getting one or more sets from the comfort of their computer chairs.

ExInferis
04-30-2014, 12:02 AM
I think almost all of you that think that physically attending an event is a requirement to get promos would change your mind if almost every event was held in Sweden.

This game should take the digital approach as far as possible so noone is excluded because of place of birth.

//Blackhand

And sleeves are entirely untradable, and account bound. You go to blizzcon you get all kinds of swag with value to recoup some expenses. I think the promo mercs should be quite rare, and just spending $100 throughout the event from your couch shouldn't guarantee you one.

Reifu
04-30-2014, 12:22 AM
I think almost all of you that think that physically attending an event is a requirement to get promos would change your mind if almost every event was held in Sweden.

This game should take the digital approach as far as possible so noone is excluded because of place of birth.

//Blackhand
Decided! All Hex events will now take place in Sweden! ;)

Seriously though, totally agree with prioritizing the digital nature of Hex.

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 12:25 AM
I'd be fine with everything I said if the events were held in sweden, honestly. I'd buy the promo's on ebay in that case most likely...

sukebe
04-30-2014, 12:37 AM

//Blackhand

Did you read my last post? It doesnt matter if it is in Sweden or my backyard, I do not have the money for events and am adverse to crowds. How is it so difficult to understand that I want something good for people other than myself? I cannot make it to events but I still want event promos to be rare and worth collecting.

Kroan
04-30-2014, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure why people keep up Blizzard as a point to have Convention specials. Blizzard let's you buy all the digital goodies of their website by purchasing a "virtual ticket" . Also; no-one died when that happened.

Even though collector's love this stuff to collect (Me too!), these promo's are not made to give away some printed cash for people coming there. It's to promote the game and a thank you for attending. This game is digital, so I see no reason AT ALL that these kind of promo's should not be handed out to people attending it virtually. Now for now there is no way to attend GenCon virtually, but CZE decided to hand the rewards out to anyone opening packs during GenCon.

Will they be less rare? Yes. Will they lose all their value? No way.

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 01:28 AM
That depends on how less rare they make them. Also, not all items from blizzcon are on sale outside of blizzcon, the vitual ticket usually includes a single thing, like the wow pet, the swag bags contain so much more than that. And it is basically a subsidy for people to use to make the trip out there with less means.

ExInferis
04-30-2014, 01:51 AM
I'm on your side!

I just pointed out that it's easy to go on events when they are closer to your backyard and since most events is held in USA some of the users are excluded if they are not fortunate enough to have the means to travel so far. The reason for me is it's to expensive to travel around the world for these events even if I would love to attend.

I don't rule out other causes to not wanting/being able to attend events even if they are in your backyard. I'm just so simpleminded that I see the matter from my own point of view.

Well met at an virtual event near all of us!
//Blackhand

Did you read my last post? It doesnt matter if it is in Sweden or my backyard, I do not have the money for events and am adverse to crowds. How is it so difficult to understand that I want something good for people other than myself? I cannot make it to events but I still want event promos to be rare and worth collecting.

sukebe
04-30-2014, 01:53 AM
I am no longer saying that they should not be made available digitally during the events. That ship has passed and they have decided to make them available as random drops from chests during the event. What matters now is the drop rate for these items.

also, we should make another thread to discuss this, I just realized this isnt the old thread I thought it was :-0

Sorry about the takeover op, I will stay on topic on all future posts in this thread.

Kroan
04-30-2014, 02:36 AM
That depends on how less rare they make them. Also, not all items from blizzcon are on sale outside of blizzcon, the vitual ticket usually includes a single thing, like the wow pet, the swag bags contain so much more than that. And it is basically a subsidy for people to use to make the trip out there with less means.
Everything that holds any value was the virtual stuff. I've been to a "BlizzCon". Sold off my virtual item(s) and the rest eventually went into the bin for not being worthy anything.

Xenavire
04-30-2014, 03:21 AM
I just want to say, I dislike the concept of event promos in the first place, especially when they are given out at stage shows etc - chances are so low that you will get one, even if you attend, and people push and shove, just to get some small trinket.

I went to an event last year. The promos either sucked, or were impossible to get. Even had there been promotional items given for free at every booth, it would have still sucked, because people do stupid things for free stuff.

I like promos. I just dont like treating people who choose to attend an event as special, or treat them as any more or less special than anyone else that paid the same door price.

I went to a convention to see a bunch of cool things, not for the free stuff. The booths with free stuff, I had to actually avoid or risk being trampled (and I am 6'3"). I missed out on seeing a lot of things I wanted to see because of that.

It was not a great impression that I got from it.

Zomnivore
04-30-2014, 03:35 AM
I don't care about Gwaers opinion on this one tbh.

Hex is a digital card game can be experienced anywhere, real life card games not so much.

Hex is trying to be a very cheap game for a lot of people to get into....it just flows that the convention thing would in some way be much more accessible to people in general as it fits into that 'as inclusive as possible' sort of strategy.

People have to organize and get together to even play Magic, not so much with Hex. Its almost natural for there to be sorts of real life conventions for Magic.

You may want event stuff to be hard to get and to therefore be more special...maybe thats ok, but I certainly want a chance to experience convention sort of -event-fun- at home.

If they want physical loot to be event exclusive cool, whatever, but the card games digital, and you all go to the same game to play, whether you're in a con, or at your desk, or (hopefully eventually on tablet) in a bus.

Kami
04-30-2014, 04:12 AM
You may want event stuff to be hard to get and to therefore be more special...maybe thats ok, but I certainly want a chance to experience convention sort of -event-fun- at home.

Agreed. Unfortunately it's already been stated that at the very least, some promo sleeves will be convention specific - everything else will apparently be available via chests during the event time.

It's a little bit disheartening to think about when the majority of events require a decent chunk of money and time to attend. Especially if you're international.

Xenavire
04-30-2014, 04:29 AM
I will always feel sad about the sleeves, but if that one cosmetic item being out of reach is the tax for being an international player that still gets treated like a part of the community, so be it.

I hope they reconsider the sleeves someday, but I will take what I can get, and swallow any bile.

halfwing
04-30-2014, 02:57 PM
I still disagree, though I do see where you are coming from. I am in the camp that feels that promo items should be rare unless you actually go to the event that they are handed out in. Part of that experience is getting items that will be difficult to find elsewhere. I understand the pain of a collector who cannot get all the promo cards, that describes me in just about every game I play. I also know that if they are too easy/cheap to get then they are no long special cards/mercs. There is no joy (at least for me, as well as many other ocd collectors I know) in collecting things that are easy or practically guaranteed to get.

I think it should be important to note, there WILL be event only promos, that you can only get through going to physical events. Just not promo CARDS.

all gameplay content will be obtainable in client, while the people who attend the event also get stuff to show off their support, like deck sleeves, without giving them an unfair advantage in anything.

sukebe
04-30-2014, 03:35 PM
I think it should be important to note, there WILL be event only promos, that you can only get through going to physical events. Just not promo CARDS.

all gameplay content will be obtainable in client, while the people who attend the event also get stuff to show off their support, like deck sleeves, without giving them an unfair advantage in anything.

I am terrible at this staying on topic thing, sorry op :-(

Besides Alternate Arts, no cards are given away at events. While exclusive mercs are given away at events, CZE has said many times that they are not necessary for pve.

Again, I am not saying they should not be available online, I am just saying I dont want them to be common or uncommon drops from chests. They should be fairly rare drops.