PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if bug but it seems broken (Plants: Ingenuity Engine)

CrimsonSoul
04-29-2014, 08:19 PM
So I was playing a guildy and he put out the Plans for Ingenuity Engine I put out a 5/5 guy and he blocked it with two of his artifact cards but before the block resolved he also exhausted both of those cards for his ingenuity engine so he blocked and exhausted them for that at the same time and both went through... doesn't seem like it'd be working as intended?

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Yea, that's working as intended. Blocking doesn't exhaust troops like attacking does, he couldn't have attacked you and done that in the same turn but he can block and do it.

CrimsonSoul
04-29-2014, 09:49 PM
No not in the same turn they blocked and exhausted at the same time, while his troops were blocking he exhausted. He declared them as blockers then after they were set as blocking (before damage assigned) he exhausted them so that they died from the block but also put the charges on the ingenuity engine at the same time

FoundInTheFlood
04-29-2014, 09:52 PM
This seems to be very different to what I remember from Magic 4th edition:

This is what i was told, Crimson:

If blockers are declared, NO damage gets through to the player. So even if you declare your 0/1 as a blocker and decide which enemy to block, and then he is killed by some 2 dmg spell, the defending player gets 0 damage because the troop "was blocked".

Because those 2 phases (declaring a block and actually doing combat damage) are seperated, I met a guy who after his 2 shin hare bunnies were called to block he sacrificed them for a spell (so both blockers were gone) and he still got 0 damage.

I don't like this (I'm used to then damage getting through from Magic over 15 years ago) but this seems to be how it works.

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Activating cards already on the table, unless they say basic, is a quick action that can be done pretty much anytime they have priority, yes, allowed for them to block, then on his next priority before damage is assigned exhaust them for his plans.

Also, yes if a troop is blocked, it remains blocked for that combat phase no matter what happens to the blocking troop before damage is dealt, that is the current MTG rules, and also how Hex handles it.

Eierdotter
04-30-2014, 04:21 AM
thats not a bug, it works the same in magic for 20 years.
since this game is interactive, stuff like this divide the "good" players from the "new" players.

you could not do somethign similar in a non interactive game like hearthstone

a littel example of a game i played yesterday to show you teh possibility of this design choice.

opponent has a 8/8 on board with a 1/1 and a 3/2
i have only Te'Talca (4/4)

he attacks with the 8/8
i declare my Te'Talca as the blocker
in the next phase (between assigning blockers and dealing the damage, the phase that is supposed for combat tricks etc.)
i pay3 and exhaust her to battle the 3/2, kill it and she transforms into the 5/5 that doubles all damage i deal
combat damage gets assigned and i trade with the 8/8
leaving him with only a 1/1

strategic stuff like this seperates HEX from Hearthstone

DionyzRex
04-30-2014, 11:04 AM
This is working as intended

noragar
05-01-2014, 11:11 AM
stuff like this divide the "good" players from the "new" players.

... or at least divide the "players that have had all the non-intuitive loopholes in the rules used against them at some point and have since adapted and started exploiting them themselves" from "those that haven't".

Disordia
05-01-2014, 11:55 AM
... or at least divide the "players that have had all the non-intuitive loopholes in the rules used against them at some point and have since adapted and started exploiting them themselves" from "those that haven't".

Nah, his is more correct; yours just sounds petty and spiteful. It would better though to describe it as the difference between experienced players and newer players, and that difference being understanding the nuances of the rules of the game.