PDA

View Full Version : Is buying a Kickstarter code against Terms of Service?

Kramer
04-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Is Buying a code for lets say, collectors, or grand king or any of the other Kickstarter rewards against Terms of Service. I have not been able to find the ToS. I have seen a lot for sale, but I do not want to do anything to ban my account

If this has been answered somewhere, I apologize but I could not find it.

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Yes, it is.

Kramer
04-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Then how are so many people getting away with it and does someone have a copy of the ToS? Other players have said you can sell cards when trading goes live on eBay. Why is this different?

ossuary
04-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Selling cards and other items is totally fine, and will be supported directly in the game client. Selling an entire account is against the terms of service.

Kramer
04-29-2014, 08:55 PM
It's not an account, its a code? Some Kickstarters bought several reward options and only need some of them.

Kami
04-29-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm not really sure why you're arguing, it's not like it will change the policy. If you want to take the risk, it's a risk you take. There will likely be no recourse if you are scammed.

Account Trading (i.e. buying/selling of accounts, etc.) is forbidden.

Currently, codes are a bit of a grey area but again, don't expect any support if you run into problems and you were not the original code holder.

Kramer
04-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Not concerned about getting scammed. I am concerned about getting banned which is why I would love a response from Cory or another employee about banned and the "grey area" about a code. How are others getting away with it would be my other question?

wurtil
04-29-2014, 09:13 PM
"Banning" someone for selling/buying a KS code also opens up a weird area for what happens to the code cards from GenCon/etc.

silverBe
04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Maybe this will help.

https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/459771830106996736

oncewasblind
04-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Just a heads up, Kami is a moderator.

As to your question, I presume that others haven't gotten caught (yet) because they don't alert Cory/employees/moderators to their desire to purchase account codes. Just a thought.

But there's always ways of tracing these sort of things, namely, IP addresses.

Gwaer
04-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Believe me, I hope that changes some day, or they at least make it possible to package everything that an account is, rewards, cards, mercs, perks, name, put it in a neat package and offer it for trade. But right now, in this day and age, a lot of problems can arise from these sorts of sales for everyone involved. So it's a no-go.

Kami
04-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Not concerned about getting scammed. I am concerned about getting banned which is why I would love a response from Cory or another employee about banned and the "grey area" about a code. How are others getting away with it would be my other question?

The only grey area atm is 'gifts'. How do you verify that someone was given it as a gift and not a sale? Hence the scam issue. Not to mention if you bring up that you purchased or sold said code, well then you will probably incur the wrath of the Terms and Conditions.

I think the tweet that silverBe dug up sums it up pretty well as far as policy goes.

Kramer
04-29-2014, 10:11 PM
I will take the Twitter response as official word from Cryptozoic and not look to purchase more than my Dungeon Crawler. Thanks to all for the responses, I just wish I could have bought a Grand King or Pro Player. I tried during the Kickstarter but I found out about Hex when they were all sold out so I went with the Dungeon Crawler, probably should have bought more $250 tiers but I thought you could only get one. Thanks Kami.

Yoss
04-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Selling codes is not against the EULA because there was no EULA when you bought the code. However, it is not supported by CZE and you will have to do it on the black market at your own risk.

Selling accounts is against the EULA and will get you banned if you're caught.

(This is just my opinion. All risk you take is yours alone. I am not selling codes or accounts.)

EDIT:
I previously suggested that CZE implement an official transfer process:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=25777&page=8&p=261233#post261233

Cowbot
04-30-2014, 01:16 AM
By the way, selling cards is ALSO against the TOS. You can't sell or transfer any part of Hex. Gifting is also against the TOS.

The TOS is incredibly strict. The trick clause is the "unenforceable." If a policy is found to be unenforceable, they just forget about it (or that is my recollection, as I do not have the TOS in front of me right now.)

Ginaz
04-30-2014, 02:07 AM
By the way, selling cards is ALSO against the TOS. You can't sell or transfer any part of Hex. Gifting is also against the TOS.

The TOS is incredibly strict. The trick clause is the "unenforceable." If a policy is found to be unenforceable, they just forget about it (or that is my recollection, as I do not have the TOS in front of me right now.)

Wrong. Selling individual cards will be fine. The guy that will be running my guild talked to Corey during the KS and Corey was ok with selling cards. Its the account selling which is a no no. As for the codes, if you buy them, you take all the risk and CZE will do nothing to help you if you get scammed but unless you are stupid and go around telling everyone about it and cause CZE problems, I doubt they'll really care all that much. People buy and sell their Magic cards and collections all the time and Wizards is fine with it. Since Hex wants to be the online version of Magic I would suspect their policies regarding selling cards will be similar. Being able to sell cards is an integral part of a TCG.

Zomnivore
04-30-2014, 02:22 AM
Buying a code is not going to get you banned, selling and trading accounts is whats going to get you banned.

You cannot sell or buy using official channels. You have no recourse if you're scammed. You can technically buy codes from people, but not officially, and its at your own risk.

CZE does not own your email, nor do they own your kickstarter account. They may technically have the right to ban you for any reason, but if they do it for buying/selling codes third party before they're redeemed they're going to have a hard time when you sue them for not upholding their kickstarter pledge.

That is if you even bother.

The simple fact of the matter is no. CZE isn't going to screw you if you buy someone's code, and use it.

There are rationals that protect them if they decide to, but also ones that hurt them if they choose to. Either way its not worth the effort.

jgsugden
05-06-2014, 12:08 PM
It is clear that CZE believes the sale of codes and accounts is against the T&C. See post 9 above. They do not want it to happen, and you agreed not to do it when you signed up for Hex.

Regardless, it would be a nightmare for CZE if they did anything to the people breaking these rules. The PR nightmare is NOT what you'd want at launch. Although there are no guarantees, it would be shocking to many people if CZE did anything right now to stop these transfers or inhibit the use of acquired codes.

There is a chance they could come back at you a year or two down the road and say, "We let you get away with this for XXXXXXX months, but we're shutting it down now and taking any assets you should not have that you still have." It'd be hard to do with their permission for gift giving being a possible excuse for the exchange, but it does remain a (potentially remote in many people's eyes) possibility.

Regardless: In their eyes, you're breaking an agreement. As such, you're taking a risk.

Xexist
05-06-2014, 02:12 PM
I would buy a couple collectors no problem if they were available (and safe)