PDA

View Full Version : The positive only thread

Ali3nSan
04-30-2014, 05:09 AM
So much negativity and complaining. While it's a beta issues will crop up. Stop focusing on the negative side and let Cory and his team handle it :)

Relax they are professionals :)

This thread is about being positive and posting the great things about Hex.

I'll go first

I can't believe I am part if something that is going to change how TCGs will evolve in the future and I am so excited to be part of the actual development even it it is as a bug finder :)

Xenavire
04-30-2014, 05:13 AM
I am constantly impressed with how fast they have cleaned up features. I am certain that they will have this closed beta running smooth soon, because they have given me a lot of confidence in their abilities.

Oh, and I love how clever they can be - things like Replicators Gambit just shows that they can balance fun and inventiveness in a competitive game.

AstaSyneri
04-30-2014, 05:22 AM
Got you with the title? Keep reading. ;-)

I am sick of reading all these negative posts here. I know it's the curse of the internet, but it's also a real shame (I am not saying I have not been guilty myself).

Dave Williams (the (co-)designer of the Legends of the Five Rings CCG and a few others) once told me that 90% of feedback CCG designers get on the internet is negative, and only 10% positive.

In my experience in this industry all this bitching hardly ever does anything positive and has a lingering negative effect overall: It consumes work time of the guys supposedly working on the game, often makes them feel bad which drains precious energy, and sometimes even drives off new customers, who are not yet getting the whole picture.

This post is the 10% post. If you want to add something positive, do it. If you don't, find a dark corner to spew your foul thoughts. I've had it.

Now.

I have a 20-year history of gaming and played lots of CCGs. I never played Magic, because at least locally all the jerks were playing Magic. Some of the games I travelled for and played international tournaments.

Job and family caused me to cease this part of my hobby (End of sob story ;-)).

The game of Hex, despite being so similar to Magic (I am told), is the best thing I could imagine. All things yet to come aside, I have a blast.

The card mechanics are great and to the greatest extent work. It's great fun to build decks. I love mechanics like replication (Pack Raptors et al.), being able to get cards from my opponents deck, permanent stat changes to cards I cannot see, a whole set or individual cards.

I love the idea to socket cards. I get inspired by the game (I loved the moment when recently I played a card and it more or less accidentally morphed into The Triumvirate).

I love playing the AI despite the bugs, I love playing against my guild mates who so far are absolutely relaxed in their aproach of the game.

And what I love best: I don't have to clean up. With my collection I can build any deck, and I never in my life will have to sort a card back into a folder or other container.

The game is already a great game for casual play and the things to come are absolutely mind-staggering. Once the first tournaments are fixed, the auction house and the arena are implemented, other games are going to have a hard time competing with Hex. I really look forward to "double-backed" cards, dungeons and raids, may they be as buggy as they want at the start.

Cory Jones has provided an excellent vision, and the team around him has already done something great. The game works. It's wonderful.

Is everything perfect? No way. There will always be bugs - the game is just too complex. I don't care. They will fix them as soon as they can. And they'll get better.

Because they are Gods of Gaming.

Zomnivore
04-30-2014, 05:22 AM
I got into wave one when I was only a scrub collector backer, and I've seen how fast and how cool the community has developed, along with the game.

Tatta's tournaments were a joy, and he' an awesome dude. He didn't have to work so hard to setup anything half so cool as he did and we're lucky he's a part of the community.

Colins a total bro, straight up producer tier awesome.

The cards are cool, the art looks great, and the games only going to get better, and its already so good.

B) Cory Jones is also like the most endearing CEO I've ever had the pleasure of talking to, and seems like he's going to be a very good force for gaming.

I mean, you find so few companies these days with this much heart, and capacity to achieve what they set out to do. Just too cool.

All the guys in game, HEXRex, data dragon, all of em have been awesome and totally charismatic, informative and (from the sound of it) are made of unobtainum.

Don't get me started on the streamers hoy boy.

From the hex decks to the sporadic new comers, and all the old favorites like armies of mordor or mokog...cirous? phoneixforgefire karn,iandor?(I really can't remember correct spelling atm) they're all awesome, and totally great for the community, and let me say really very oberaffengeil!

ossuary
04-30-2014, 05:23 AM
I predict this whole "positive" thing will last 3 posts, tops.

Oops. ;)

ossuary
04-30-2014, 05:23 AM
Seriously though, I really love Cory's passion for the game, and his dedication to it. That more than anything else does wonders to alleviate my naturally-occurring pessimism.

AstaSyneri
04-30-2014, 05:28 AM
Ooops. I apparently just had the same idea and made a full thread of it (the Gods of Gaming post).

Well, what do they say? Great minds think alike ;-).

UDareUTake
04-30-2014, 05:28 AM
Finally :) more positivity around!

I have been following closely along hex since the start and i must say, I am really really impressed by Cory and his team..

It is not easy for a company to stick to its "Fans First" commitment and throughout the KS campaign till now, the only feeling I get is one amazement after another.

Malama
04-30-2014, 05:40 AM
Well said!!
I don't even know what happened, one day I was reading normal posts and then the next, when I woke up a full storm was going on...

In my opinion crypto is doing a great job, I can't think of any promises they have not kept yet. Of course the game will be buggy and a lot of unforeseen things will happen, but this is all part of beta and life.

Xenavire
04-30-2014, 05:44 AM
CZE really is a special company. Very few even come close, but I would like to give a special mention to the people at Telltale games, they seem really nice, and give us a similar unique experience.

I for one was very sceptical at the start (I almost never bothered to read all the features from the game. I was thinking 'dTCG - that doesn't seem special'.)

But I watched that video, and the sincerity mixed with humour stopped me from closing that tab. I took the time to give it a good read, and I liked the idea. So I jumped on the forums, with a flurry of questions, and I was quickly swayed by how awesome everyone was.

I went from sceptic to fan in a matter if days, and CZE has impressed me at every turn. I have had my gripes and haven't been shy about voicing them, but the overall experience has been amazing.

I have never been so turned around on a first impression before.

Ali3nSan
04-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Ooops. I apparently just had the same idea and made a full thread of it (the Gods of Gaming post).

Well, what do they say? Great minds think alike ;-).

I saw hopefully mods can merge this one with yours :)

Mine was made from my phone :p

Gulbech
04-30-2014, 05:48 AM
Great post Asta

Sadly it is not just CCG where people complain and whine, it is like this with all game forums - the curse of the internet.
I can understand some people are disappointed, thought game would be out sooner, no bugs and so on. But this game is making great progress, and drafting in hex has been some of the most fun i had with a game in a long time and i have played lots og MTGO.

Maybe we should just all agree to only respond on posts that are either positive or constructive and not all the complaining. If we dont feed the trolls, they maybe find another game to annoy :)

The last thing, we have a great community. there are so many nice, constructive and generous people here, that you wont find anything like it anywhere. Lets all keep this community great, special when the doors are open and HEX will be flooded.

Reifu
04-30-2014, 05:49 AM
It was the vision that hooked me. Cory basically wants to include everything I ever wanted out of a TCG (or any game for that matter) into one package. I have faith that they will see it through to the best of their abilities no matter how long it takes or how many bugs we encounter along the way.

incitfulmonk21
04-30-2014, 06:14 AM
I don't really see a lot of negativity on the forums just two topics that have drawn a lot of differing ideas. I think some people may have been a little biased towards negative information.

CZE is a great company and even in the threads most negative posts have still said this. It is not about bashing CZE just telling them what we are disgruntled with which is almost always proceeded about how much we love their product and how well they treat us.

If it is all sunshine and roses then nothing gets fixed if it is all dark clouds and thunder nothing ever gets fixed. CZE listens to us and the community is great because we can mix these chocolate and peanut butter views to make sausage :).

tl;dr Cze is awesome we like most of what they do and tell them we don't like some of what they do and tell them.

Mejis
04-30-2014, 06:29 AM
Yeah nice post Asta.
I've been generally hanging low in the last week since beta launched as every time I'd come to the forums there'd be some new topic with 50 pages and storms raging. Having said that, these forums are some of the least venomous I've encountered on the net, so there is that to be thankful for. The community here seems pretty good in comparison to others.

I haven't had much time to even log in during the last week due to work, but when I have I've thoroughly enjoyed my Proving Grounds games. Obviously can't wait for draft, but tournaments and the initial pack-opening debacles aside, the client is feeling and looking really good and is a joy to play.

hexnaes
04-30-2014, 06:31 AM
I don't see the negativity either. I think it's easy to misunderstand intentions of those complaining. They're trying to be helpful.

I can't find one example of someone trolling these forums.

Everyone here wants this game to be the best it can be. Everyone should try to remember that when they're reading a "negative" post.

Niedar
04-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Maybe we should just all agree to only respond on posts that are either positive or constructive and not all the complaining. If we dont feed the trolls, they maybe find another game to annoy :)

Please do so.

mudkip
04-30-2014, 08:16 AM
I like the new launcher, it has the stuff I've been complaining about for ages. That said, it still somehow makes my graphics card fire up (I'm guessing they programmer didn't put a FPS limit on it?)

I'm pretty impressed with their progress. I wish they we had a soft launch with wipe before the official Beta launch, but I don't doubt they're working hard and that other features are still progressing in the background.

Wolfe
04-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Great post, Asta!

I think it's been a tough week for everybody. So much anticipation... Eagerly counting the minutes and seconds... We'll all be pretty happy when tournaments come up, and in a couple weeks when trading/AH comes in. I could go all summer with tournaments/trading/AH. I'm DYING to see PVE, but even if it takes a couple months, I can live with that.

I'm okay with the delays! I'll probably be playing this game for a decade. As long as they keep paying the crew to make it happen, 6 or 9 months extra isn't gonna kill me. Keep up the good work CZE!

Alequel
04-30-2014, 08:30 AM
This thread is awesome thank you op for making it.

I have to say, from the first second I saw Cory on the ks video I knew I was in for one FANTASTIC ride. The entire CZE team has been nothing but epic so far with Cory being the deserving lead Epicness.

I am currently working at a major energy consultancy company and I have to say it is my job to be skeptical and question everything. I do not normally trust anyone or anything completely. However, for the first time in years I have complete trust and fate in Cory Jones and his team. They have been extremely open and honest with us so far, which unfortunately is a very rare commodity to come by these days. I have to make an extra statement here for mister HEXREX who has been awesome in game chatting with people. He has at some point despite all the negatives coming on his way made the statement; I do not want to say something now and make you guys falsely happy; so that when I finally say something you all can trust me and know that it is the truth (Not exact words but the meaning is the same.) This is very important for me, a lot of the game and game makers often lie about pretty much anything these days just to keep squeezing a few measly dollars from you by giving you false hopes by saying everything will be ok. He would imo truly make an awesome CM.

The game even as it is a lot of fun to play, and you can truly lose yourself in meta gaming in just set 1, which as Cory would say is really mind boggling.

I have been playing MtG since '99 semi-professionally and lately I had absolutely no time to spend on playing MtG nor have I felt the need for it, thanks to the epicness that is Hex.

So thank you good people of CZE for creating such an awesome game, and being honest, awesome, truly caring about your game and community and for being amazing in general.

The only regret I have is being just a pro-player backer while I could have been so much more, so much more than even a producer it is a mistake that I will regret but on that note if you guys ever need support again , I am sure there are a lot of people who thinks exactly like I do, so please do not hesitate to get help from us the community.

ThrawnOmega
04-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Thank you for this thread!

I have been having a blast with the game, even though functionality is limited right now. I didn't even know I wanted this game until I saw the Kickstarter pitch video, and thought "That's brilliant! Why hasn't anyone done this before?" Which is a thought Cory himself expresses in the video. This game is the antidote for everything that burned me out on MTG. Much friendlier price point, better community options, epic PVE (I used to play Everqurst 2 and WoW, so I know MMO appeal), and a sense of permanence / achievement with your play (I have a 240k gamerscore on Xbox Live, so I'm big on achievements). I hope to be enjoying this for years to come.

ursa23
04-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Man, I haven't played a TCG since the 90s. Like, Magic Beta 90s. I decided to give this game a try based on CZE's board games (Epic Spell Wars, anyone?), and the Penny Arcade comic about it. I backed at Knight, then shifted to Champ, then finally stopped at King tier. My only regret throughout this entire experience was that I didn't cash in some stocks and hit the $250 tiers, or Grand King. I will never be an eSports contender. No one has to watch out for Cameron in the tournaments. But I will play this game until the servers crap out. Or until the heat death of the universe, whatevs.

Alequel
04-30-2014, 01:26 PM
People should seriously add to this post IMO, It might end up being a good source for motivation when they feel down or overwhelmed. Keep posting people!!!

saffamike
04-30-2014, 03:15 PM
I've been wanting to get into TCGs for some time. I grew up in South Africa and MTG packs were above my price range and FNM was not a thing in my town.

I now live in the UK and could attend FNM, but I'm that much older now and my wife wouldn't be too impressed if I snuck off to Oxford street every Friday night.

Hex just ticked all the boxes for me and I backed it solidly on KS. I'm still a TCG newbie, but now I get to start at set 1 and ease my way in with my weekly drafts... all in the comfort of my own home. I'm going to play the hell out of this game and nothing would please me more than for Hex to become the best online dTCG out there.

pheedsta
04-30-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm not much of a forum poster (obviously) but this thread needed to be made. Like saffamike I always wanted to get into MTG but it was way too daunting (not to mention the cost and time involved). I saw Cory's video (after the KS had finished) and instantly went slacker backer. The game is awesome and (as mentioned many times) so is the team around it. A product like this can last for years and only get better. I'm glad I got in at the ground floor. As my dad always said "if you bite off more than you can chew, chew like crazy". These guys have shown they are committed and are accomplishing something very few companies (even known AAA game makers) would ever attempt. Great work guys.

Oroniss
04-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I'm going to chime in here too.

Loving this game at the moment. Opening packs and building a collection has been great fun (4 angels woot) and testing my own decks in the proving grounds is so much more satisfying than having every card.

Going to be playing this one for a long long time yet.

FlyingMeatchip
04-30-2014, 08:49 PM
I would never rain on your parade.....go CZE!

maniza
04-30-2014, 09:17 PM
i find alot to love about the core mecanics and gameplay. the "card game" part of hex shows experience and know how.

i think that if new coin flip animations and defeat animations are any indication we are in for a visualy apealing game. they have some realy talented artists.

but what i find most important sign of how great this game can become is how they listen to the comunity. they realy take our feedback into consideration. i have seen the forums have mayor impact in the way the game is shaping up. i think that in time that will create the best tcg for hardcore players. kind of like the eve online of online tcgs

Rapkannibale
05-01-2014, 01:13 AM
Even though people should obviously feel free to provide constructive criticism I am thankful for this positive thread! :)

I think Hex is amazing! I know the development is taking longer than expected but I am 100% certain it is worth the wait! I already have tons of fun just trying out decks against the AI. In Magic I was never really a deck builder mostly because of the hassles involved with dealing with physical cards, but here in Hex it is all just so easy! Currently I am trying to make a deck around Briar Legion work. :)

I have been playing a lot of Hearthstone and even though I also think that is a great game, it is not really the TCG experience I am looking for. The other day I caught myself realizing, hold on, I can do something in response to what my opponent is playing. That simply mechanic changes so much! I knew about the mechanic of course, I played a lot of Magic back in the day, but just realizing that it is in there was so cool!

And what is playable now is only a relatively small part of what is to come! Trading, Raids, Dungeons, async tournaments, etc! It's just amazing!

To all of the Hex team: Don't be discouraged by some of the negativity, you have many fans supporting you, be it loudly on the forums or just quietly playing and enjoying the game! Keep it going and together we will make something amazing! :)

Malakili
05-01-2014, 02:38 AM
I think Set 1 is quite well designed for a first set. They've really packed it full of interesting stuff. They've also managed to make all the colors have some really viable pieces.

I think they've done well to implement some things that show of the power of the digital format to change things , while also providing a strong set of TCG fundamentals. No mean task, that.

hexinggems
05-01-2014, 06:58 AM
My favourite this is the giddy feeling I get whenever you play the online only design aspect cards, like escalation, permanent effects on cards, etc. Whenever those come into play, I'm always inwardly nodding going "Yeaaaaah" :)

ThrawnOmega
05-01-2014, 07:34 AM
This set has a lot of different viable ways to win, which is critical for a TCG. If everyone played the same way, it'd get boring in a hurry. Gazing through my card collection and coming up with deck ideas has been great fun.

I personally don't care for Blood or Ruby in this set, but Emerald, Sapphire, and Diamond all have great stuff for my play style. Made a mono-Sapphire mill / flying deck that has been doing pretty well in the proving grounds.