PDA

View Full Version : Would you play a ''hex cube'' tournament ?

Bells
04-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Here is the basic idea.

Draft style, 40 cards decks, min 5 players

Instead of drafting packs, each player puts 20 cards (of their choosing) in a ''box'', which are shuffled. Then, each round 10 cards are taken out of the cube, each player picks one, 10 more are draft and so on and so forth, rotating all cards in the cube untill they are all picked or until all players have ''opted out'' from drafting further, closing your deck and filling the rest with shards until you have your 40 cards.

From that point on, matchups are set, and it's a regular tournament. When it ends, you get all your own cards back.

I see two ways of rewards for this:

1 - each player pools in 100 GOLD, winner takes all.
2 - No rewards, just for fun.

Add in a secondary ''pauper'' mode where only Common cards are allowed... now you have your Kitchen table-style tournament for casual fun and overall Hex shenanigans.

Disordia
04-30-2014, 06:46 AM
Here I thought this was going to be a suggestion to implement an actual cube format.

YourOpponent
04-30-2014, 06:56 AM
I would be up for trying a cube draft sometime, but I'd much rather see two headed giant come out on Hex instead :) Hopefully with a partner named Kaibaa so that I can say, "Kaibaa what have you done!"

Krond
04-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Cube would be awesome once we get a few more sets!

Bells
04-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Here I thought this was going to be a suggestion to implement an actual cube format.

Yeah i was mostly thinking on how it could be done in Hex to make it feel somewhat unique, but how would you implement a traditional Cube format as a regular match option in hex?

Krond
04-30-2014, 09:02 AM
I'd make it like this. One player builds a deck of 360 cards, which is the cube. Yes, I realize we're capped at 300 right now, but that's an easy fix. Then, that player goes to tournaments/proving ground and selects "host cube draft". Once 7 more ppl join, or accept invites, the 360 cards are randomly split into 24 packs, and a draft proceeds from there.

cferejohn
04-30-2014, 09:15 AM
What OP describes isn't exactly a normal 'cube' - he also seems to be proposing a rochester-style draft rather than a booster draft. I don't find the OPs proposal particularly appealing - the color/cost balance is going to be all over the place and people are likely to end up with some very bad decks (especially with only 20 cards/player - a normal draft has 42-45).

A more traditional cube (including the ability to create/host one's own) would be great, though really we'll need several sets under our belts before there's any real point - probably half a dozen or so if I had to guess).

EntropyBall
04-30-2014, 10:03 AM
I never did cube drafting in MTG, but it sounds cool and I'd like to try it or something similar in Hex. I have several friends who backed but will primarily play PVE and not have great PVP constructed decks, so I could make a draft cube that we could all use.

Disordia
04-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Rochester draft would be a sweet addition. That's actually how we tend to do cube drafts irl.

Yoss
04-30-2014, 10:05 AM
I'd put this in the "user defined modes" category and leave it for when a development API is available.