PDA

View Full Version : Back Draft (An MtG tournament type)

YourOpponent
04-30-2014, 07:18 AM
So I was trying to think of a tournament type that would be like draft as much as possible, and fun, but not having to worry about rare drafters. Then I found out that MtG already had a tournament type that already has all of those qualifications.

"Back Draft is a draft variant where each player tries to build the worst deck possible, because each player gives another player that deck to play in the tournament.[2] To avoid mana problems, players choose what lands to add in the deck after they are "backdrafted". Scoring is usually done where a player gains a point each time the deck they play with wins and each time the deck they built loses."

To determine what cards you got after the tournament was over the best way would probably be by keeping whatever "deck" you received from the other player. It might need to be randomized though on what deck you get handed to you (without you receiving your own deck) to avoid abusing the system (such as a guild member choosing to rare farm to hand a guild member a deck full of as many rare cards as possible.)

Still though from playing Risk and doing a similar board game strategy (of having your opponents place your troops before starting) I can assure you that this idea would be pretty fun and worth giving a try when there's more players.

Poetic
04-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Isn't that like a format they use for their community cups? Once a year type thing with like 16 people. I can see it being fun once or twice but wouldn't be something I'd play often.

LLCoolDave
04-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Having played a back draft once, it sounds like fun but actually isn't.

Rendakor
04-30-2014, 07:42 AM
While this sounds amusing as a one-off idea, the notion that rare-drafting is a problem that needs fixing is silly. If people want to pick cards based on their resale value, I say go for it; makes it easier for the rest of us to win prizes.

Westane
04-30-2014, 08:39 AM
This is exactly why they made Phantom Drafts in MTGO, and I'm all for the same idea in Hex.

halfwing
04-30-2014, 08:44 AM
They are going to have weekly/monthly tournaments that use silly formats (like PvE cards being legal), kind of like what Path of Exile does. I could see this being one of the possible tournament types, but it certainly shouldnt be used for anything "major"

cferejohn
04-30-2014, 09:04 AM
The way this problem is often "fixed" in MTG live drafts is to rare draft after the tournament. This seems like a decent solution when drafting for fun with a bunch of friends of similar skill level. In a competitive environment it can lead to some bad feelings. In MTG value drafting doesn't really cause significant problems in my experience (and as others have said phantom drafts would be another decent solution).

DoctorJoe
05-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Backdrafting sounds fun to do once or twice, but I don't think it would be great to do regularly.

I agree with the proposals that phantom drafts would also address your concerns. I think phantom drafts will be great for Hex. They are great for draft purists that believe making the best pick every time is the most important and want to play with like-minded individuals. Additionally, there is already built-in secondary currency and would be no need for "phantom points" like MTG. They could just use gold. That could provide a low-investment way for players who primarily enjoy PVE to dip their toes in PVP and a good way for PVP players to do what they like and earn some gold to jump start their PVE.

I prefer to keep my cards, and yeah, rare-drafters can be kind of a bummer to draft with, but often, the high value rares are also really hard to beat in draft. Not passing them is still a valid strategy depending on what you are giving up to pick that card. I have too much pride to join a draft with the sole intent of drafting all the rare/valuable cards, but it is the strategically correct choice some of the time.

Rare-drafters contribute to the prize pool just like regular drafters and are usually a lot easier to beat. Depending on their skill at the particular draft format and the probability and rarity of the cards involved, it might even yield higher expected value on average. In games like Hex, we (should) do math the entire game. It's only natural that these same skills permeate the metagame.

noragar
05-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Rare drafting is not a "problem" that needs to be "fixed", but even if it were, there could still be rare drafting in this kind of tournament.

Say it comes down to the last two picks and the cards left are Solitary Exile and Uruunaz. The deck your drafting already has several useful Diamond cards, but virtually nothing that's playable in Blood. You could decide to take the Solitary Exile and the 1/7 chance that Uruunaz will be passed to you (maybe even with some other Blood cards so you'd be able to play him in your deck), instead of taking the Uruunaz which would be a dead card for the bad deck that you're building but also a 0 chance of adding him to your collection.

Yoss
05-01-2014, 09:17 AM
I'd leave this for community development when they (hopefully) implement 3rd party API.

Turtlewing
05-01-2014, 09:32 AM
That description of backdraft sounds pretty terrible.

A draft format where every time you are passed a pack you make 2 picks first pick is the card you play with (from the cards that haven't yet been picked for play) second pick is the card you'll keep (from the cards that haven't been picked to keep yet) might work better. This would suck to do with paper TCGs, but with digital it's a lot easier.

But honestly I can't help but think that the "problem" of rare drafters is already solved by sealed (if you don't like the way other players pick their cards play in a format where everyone get's their own sandbox to pick from).