PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Chests - You Guys Got It Right

Rapierian
04-30-2014, 08:12 AM
I tried out the chest spinning last night with 5000 I got from the tournament I tried out. After a sequence of rolls, I ended up with:

More Gold
A Common Chest Being Bumped To A Rare
2 More Packs
King Gabriel

And it was a lot of excitement in the process. I think that this is definitely one aspect of Hex that CZE nailed. Before I tried this out, both my wife and I were thinking that the goal of playing was going to be about ways to find platinum to get more packs and get into more drafts. Now we both want Gold, especially so we can spin our Legendary Chests. And I don't think you'll ever want to open a chest that hasn't been spun.

Xenavire
04-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Cory wasnt kidding about it being a grade A gold sink :D

Scammanator
04-30-2014, 08:28 AM
This has been said before, but I can't get over how amused I am that the gold sink is an ACTUAL SINK. You throw your gold into the basin and it goes down the drain, and out comes super-awesome rewards.

knightofeffect
04-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Yea they really nailed the concept, I think there is still some opportunity for a stronger audial/visual production to really put it over the top :)

hammer
04-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Nevermind the sink I want the Taps (drafts for now, and PVE) !

But yeah, seriously, great job Cory and the team - kismet, the chests and the wheels of fate are AMAZINGLY FUN

Khazrakh
04-30-2014, 08:50 AM
I have to agree - right now I'm more interested in getting more gold than in getting more platinum...might change when I drafted through my 150 boosters though ;)

hex_colin
04-30-2014, 09:11 AM
This has been said before, but I can't get over how amused I am that the gold sink is an ACTUAL SINK. You throw your gold into the basin and it goes down the drain, and out comes super-awesome rewards.

I still chuckle every single time I see it. Genius idea!

Xenavire
04-30-2014, 09:17 AM
I still chuckle every single time I see it. Genius idea!

We needs more visual puns, now!

Barkam
04-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Wow. It is very possible to play this game for absolutely free. Buy chests in AH for gold and spin them for packs and PvP cards.

Rapkannibale
04-30-2014, 09:34 AM
I also think this feature is genius! I haven't actually gotten to spin because I didn't get to play in any tournaments before they went down, but am definitely looking forward to trying it out! I think I will not open any chests until I rolled them up to primal unless the chance of that happening is ridiculous or the loot is not that much different than Legendary chests.

bactgudz
04-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I'm itching to do this so bad as well...tournies have never been up for me. At this point, I'd even straight up trade a free draft ticket for the 5k gold.

Mahes
04-30-2014, 10:12 AM
I also think this feature is genius! I haven't actually gotten to spin because I didn't get to play in any tournaments before they went down, but am definitely looking forward to trying it out! I think I will not open any chests until I rolled them up to primal unless the chance of that happening is ridiculous or the loot is not that much different than Legendary chests.

You can only roll a chest one time unless you get a roll that allows for another roll. Otherwise everybody would just play a chest until it was primal, as that chest being opened, carries the highest chance of really good stuff.

ThrawnOmega
04-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Even though I'm very eager to give this a try, I think I'm going to stockpile my gold and wait to do any spinning until it is possible to open the chests.

ursa23
04-30-2014, 11:44 AM
I was all like, "Ho hum, I don't know if I'll draft, I'ma wait for PVE." Now I'm like, "Losing a draft gets you gold? Looks like my budget priorities just shifted!"

Xenavire
04-30-2014, 11:46 AM
I was all like, "Ho hum, I don't know if I'll draft, I'ma wait for PVE." Now I'm like, "Losing a draft gets you gold? Looks like my budget priorities just shifted!"

Winning gives you 20k, so theres incentive to win :D

Reifu
04-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Good that someone made this thread. I have been meaning to for a while but always got derailed.

After winning a draft I went to work on spinning on my hoard of common chests (opened about 65 boosters). It was litterally the most exciting experience I've had in Hex so far. I even yelled out loud how brilliant it was and my wife came over and wondered what had gotten me so excited.

I got more gold, I got upgraded chests, I got 5 alternate art Windborn Acolytes (common) and an alternate art Wrathwood Colossus (rare), I got sleeves, I got mercenaries, I got equipment, I got a PvE card and I got PvP cards. And of course nothing lots of times. But all I wanted after all that was to get more gold and spin some moar! :D

So I agree entirely with everything you said. If they got just one thing right so far it is the Wheels of Fate. Sheer brilliance that will eat up all the gold in the game for a long time.

Only thing I hope they do is increase the loot tables, as it seems to be a bit slim at the moment. Getting 5 of the same AA common makes it quite obvious that it's the only common one (also verified by files in game dir), which will unfortunately lead to it not being worth very much in the end due to everyone getting it. Imagine there were a hundred different AA items to get. People would spin forever and ever. :cool:

Xenavire
04-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Good that someone made this thread. I have been meaning to for a while but always got derailed.

After winning a draft I went to work on spinning on my hoard of common chests (opened about 65 boosters). It was litterally the most exciting experience I've had in Hex so far. I even yelled out loud how brilliant it was and my wife came over and wondered what had gotten me so excited.

I got more gold, I got upgraded chests, I got 5 alternate art Windborn Acolytes (common) and an alternate art Wrathwood Colossus (rare), I got sleeves, I got mercenaries, I got equipment, I got a PvE card and I got PvP cards. And of course nothing lots of times. But all I wanted after all that was to get more gold and spin some moar! :D

So I agree entirely with everything you said. If they got just one thing right so far it is the Wheels of Fate. Sheer brilliance that will eat up all the gold in the game for a long time.

Only thing I hope they do is increase the loot tables, as it seems to be a bit slim at the moment. Getting 5 of the same AA common makes it quite obvious that it's the only common one (also verified by files in game dir), which will unfortunately lead to it not being worth very much in the end due to everyone getting it. Imagine there were a hundred different AA items to get. People would spin forever and ever. :cool:

Well, there is a lot of rewards already, and most stack and are tradable. So there is no reason for anyone to stop, not now!

Lawlschool
04-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Spinning on chests is stupidly addicting and absurdly fun. It's going to turn us all in to glorious gambling addicts. Synergizes great with PvE too, since it'll create demand for Gold.

Daer
04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
I assumed the rewards you can win in the Wheels of Fate would switch every Set, since it is confirmed the AA cards do. ~15 rewards (like there currently is) not including pvp cards every set seems about right.

Bloodroot
04-30-2014, 01:21 PM
I remember in the alpha, the buttons in the spinning interface were blank for me, but I still had fun with it.

I've only opened a few packs so far, so I have a few chests. If only I had a way to get gold... On the other hand, with no tournaments to play, it helps keep my resolve to wait until more of my friends join before I start tearing wrappers off. Although I may want to wait until August 14th to really start tearing into things.

nicosharp
04-30-2014, 02:05 PM
I can see it now... People throwing their money into Plat just to buy gold on the auction house.

hex_colin
04-30-2014, 02:14 PM
I can see it now... People throwing their money into Plat just to buy gold on the auction house.

Sign me up! ;)

Kami
04-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Just have to be wary of hyper-inflation. Otherwise that's just going to drive away a huge chunk of potentially new players.

Barkam
04-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Hyper-inflation? Wheels of Fate is what will make Hex a very viable F2P which is very new player friendly. This game is going to explode once open beta hits.

Barkam
04-30-2014, 02:22 PM
I actually have the opposite concern. Botting is going to be profitable because of Whels of Fate since you can get gold playing against easy AI. I wonder what CZE is going to do about this.

nicosharp
04-30-2014, 02:24 PM
I actually have the opposite concern. Botting is going to be profitable because of Whels of Fate since you can get gold playing against easy AI. I wonder what CZE is going to do about this.

Force windowed mode, and randomly make the game screen move around over time.

ossuary
04-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Force windowed mode, and randomly make the game screen move around over time.

I LOLed. Have a cookie. :)

Alternate option: mandatory fingerprint scanners, scan your fingerprint at intervals upon request or your account is deleted.

Ertzi
04-30-2014, 04:26 PM
I am now even more excited to spin my first chest. As soon as I can get some gold via tournies... Damn you all! I'm gonna be such a farmer when the PvE hits. I can see it now: "Yeah, I got enough money to spin one chest again! Screw this dungeon, I'm getting back to base!"

sukebe
04-30-2014, 04:49 PM
I am now even more excited to spin my first chest. As soon as I can get some gold via tournies... Damn you all! I'm gonna be such a farmer when the PvE hits. I can see it now: "Yeah, I got enough money to spin one chest again! Screw this dungeon, I'm getting back to base!"

Lol, I will likely be doing the same thing :-) I am very excited for the PvE portion of the game already and awesomeness of WoF just makes me more so.

ThomasHunter
04-30-2014, 06:04 PM
I don't suppose there is a good write-up/explanation of this process? I thought the release notes said that chests cannot be opened yet? So, I've just left mine for now. Seems like you need gold to "spin". Are "spinning" and "opening" mutually exclusive? Why would you do one over another? I kind of remember Cory discussing the chests can get upgraded, but it seems I don't know the whole story.

Thanks for any additional information!
Taleisin

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Spinning is something you can only do before opening, and you can always open the chest after a spin, the spin has a chance to upgrade the chest to a higher rarity, or pay you out some other reward, but it does not consume your chest.

jasta85
04-30-2014, 06:25 PM
I really wish they allowed some way to earn gold right now. It's killing me to have like 40 chests ranging from common to legendary and not being able to do anything with them :(

Ertzi
05-01-2014, 02:58 AM
I really wish they allowed some way to earn gold right now. It's killing me to have like 40 chests ranging from common to legendary and not being able to do anything with them :(

No kidding! Weekend coming up too, so I would have time to earn gold for once.

ossuary
05-01-2014, 06:24 AM
Here's a question: has anyone gotten three "heart" icons when spinning a rare+ chest yet? That prize is "upgrade twice and pay to spin again" - which would take you to primal on a rare chest (which can't be upgraded or spun any further), and with a legendary chest, it can't actually be upgraded twice. What happens in this scenario?

Kroan
05-01-2014, 06:48 AM
The Wheel of Fates alone make me think that PvE (and therefor all $250 tiers associated with them) will be very worth your wile

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Here's a question: has anyone gotten three "heart" icons when spinning a rare+ chest yet? That prize is "upgrade twice and pay to spin again" - which would take you to primal on a rare chest (which can't be upgraded or spun any further), and with a legendary chest, it can't actually be upgraded twice. What happens in this scenario?

Upgraded to Primal and you can spin again if you want. But there's slightly less EV in it because the upgrade "wins" won't help you anymore.

ossuary
05-01-2014, 07:10 AM
I was kind of hoping they would have coded in some kind of "maxed out" bonus reward if you get an upgrade that can't be applied, since doing so ought to be pretty rare anyway, and it would feel like kind of a let-down to get a "big" payoff that can't be given in full.

Like if you got a "double upgrade" win when you are spinning on a legendary chest, it gives you 50K gold or something similar, since it can't actually apply 2 upgrades to the chest - that way, you don't feel like you "wasted" one of those rare winning spins.

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 07:21 AM
I was kind of hoping they would have coded in some kind of "maxed out" bonus reward if you get an upgrade that can't be applied, since doing so ought to be pretty rare anyway, and it would feel like kind of a let-down to get a "big" payoff that can't be given in full.

Like if you got a "double upgrade" win when you are spinning on a legendary chest, it gives you 50K gold or something similar, since it can't actually apply 2 upgrades to the chest - that way, you don't feel like you "wasted" one of those rare winning spins.

You might want to consider the value of ever rolling a Legendary chest. ;)

But, the point is well taken, I had conversations with both Cory and Kyle last night about the WoF edge cases that were less fun because you win... but you actually lose because they couldn't give you what you won. A very, very minor critique of an incredibly awesome system though.

ossuary
05-01-2014, 07:26 AM
But I wanna primal chest! ;)

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 07:28 AM
But I wanna primal chest! ;)

I do too - but there is a cheaper way to get one that doesn't waste a potential upgrade. :)

whythelastman
05-01-2014, 07:36 AM
After reading this thread, just spun a common chest...and won some gold. WORST thing that could ever happen to me (and my inner gambler). Back to spinning...

EDIT: Well that escalated quickly. Annnnd there goes all my gold. Got some upgraded chests, an AA card, and a serious hankering for more spinning.

ossuary
05-01-2014, 07:46 AM
I do too - but there is a cheaper way to get one that doesn't waste a potential upgrade. :)

Wait, what? I thought the only way to get a primal chest was to spin on a legendary chest and upgrade it that way?

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Wait, what? I thought the only way to get a primal chest was to spin on a legendary chest and upgrade it that way?

Why wouldn't a double upgrade on a Rare chest work? Has someone specifically said that isn't possible?

Rapierian
05-01-2014, 07:52 AM
I got it, but with a common chest. Hence my Rare chest. I definitely wonder what happens if you land it on a Legendary Chest.

GPrime
05-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Oss: He's referring to getting the "double upgrade" on a Rare chest. Spinning rares is cheaper and if you can get enough Primals that way you can avoid "wasting" that double upgrade on a Legendary chest.

Still, I expect the Double Upgrade is a rare enough spin that you're more likely to get a Primal from Legendaries than Rares using the same amount of gold

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Still, I expect the Double Upgrade is a rare enough spin that you're more likely to get a Primal from Legendaries than Rares using the same amount of gold

That ignores all of the other potential value you get from rolls other than chest upgrades though.

elfstone
05-01-2014, 08:14 AM
god your all killing me here. I wants my draft crack!

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 08:21 AM
god your all killing me here. I wants my draft crack!

I know, right? ;) I actually spent time wondering whether chain starting drafts at $7 a pop was worth it to quickly get 5K gold each time. :P

Lawlschool
05-01-2014, 08:28 AM
I know, right? ;) I actually spent time wondering whether chain starting drafts at $7 a pop was worth it to quickly get 5K gold each time. :P

Well considering you keep 3 boosters worth of cards, you're really only paying $1 for 5k gold, which doesn't seem all that bad. Though if you just rare drafted you'd miss out on a chance for even more gold...

Xenavire
05-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Well considering you keep 3 boosters worth of cards, you're really only paying $1 for 5k gold, which doesn't seem all that bad. Though if you just rare drafted you'd miss out on a chance for even more gold...

Not if you rare draft like a pro! I got 5 rare/legendaries and still had a brutal (good enough) deck (Colin can testify to that :))

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Not if you rare draft like a pro! I got 5 rare/legendaries and still had a brutal (good enough) deck (Colin can testify to that :))

Those late pick Terrible Transfers always give you a shot! :)

Xenavire
05-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Those late pick Terrible Transfers always give you a shot! :)

Strangely, I only managed to draft one, and I was keeping an eye open for them specifically! I did nab 2x murder, and the 3/4x Darkspire Priestess, so I had some decent early board presence that was hard to answer, with inquisitor and a bunch of other nasties waiting. :D

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Strangely, I only managed to draft one, and I was keeping an eye open for them specifically! I did nab 2x murder, and the 3/4x Darkspire Priestess, so I had some decent early board presence that was hard to answer, with inquisitor and a bunch of other nasties waiting. :D

Yeah, it was the Priestess/Blood Cauldron Ritualist combo that really did me it. It's on the list of pretty good draft synergies now. ;)

Xenavire
05-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Yeah, it was the Priestess/Blood Cauldron Ritualist combo that really did me it. It's on the list of pretty good draft synergies now. ;)

It's funny, I took the ritualists only after I picked up a bone warrior - it wasn't until we were in the game itself that the combo hit me. :D

nicosharp
05-01-2014, 09:33 AM
And here I thought I would be exchanging my gold for plat.. LOL. Best money sink ever. This is actually a big screw to all kickstarter backers with tons and tons of packs. We will be grinding PvE for ages, or will be buying gold on the AH.

"Sure, you guys can stack 1 year drafts" (MWaHaha, they won't have the gold to spin all teh chests. and will be buying plat just for teh goldS! -EvilPrincessCory)

Okay, this has brought me to the conclusion that I am now going to go back into the streaming business.
Ponzi scheme - will be raffle tickets based on gold donations, and the winner gets what is in the chest.. JUST SO I CAN SPINZ DEM!

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 09:35 AM
And here I thought I would be exchanging my gold for plat.. LOL. Best money sink ever. This is actually a big screw to all kickstarter backers with tons and tons of packs. We will be grinding PvE for ages, or will be buying gold on the AH.

"Sure, you guys can stack 1 year drafts" (MWaHaha, they won't have the gold to spin all teh chests. and will be buying plat just for teh goldS! -EvilPrincessCory)

It'll be insane for the people who actually want to go F2P too - they just have to grind some PVE. I'll give up great PVP cards for Gold ALL THE TIME. :)

ossuary
05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Sacrifice decks LOVE troops that do extra things when they die, especially when that thing is dealing even more damage. Also, if you're going Blood/Diamond, try combining Loregoyle with your priestess for ease of reuse. :)

Xenavire
05-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Sacrifice decks LOVE troops that do extra things when they die, especially when that thing is dealing even more damage. Also, if you're going Blood/Diamond, try combining Loregoyle with your priestess for ease of reuse. :)

Trust me, if I could draft a loregoyle early enough, that would be a plan for me haha. I love me a little lore(goyle).