PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed by Felix Faust's FAA

AaronH
04-30-2014, 08:38 AM
I've had the Felix Faust promo for a while now, and he's always one of the more dreaded Super Villains we encounter in the game. Some of us in the group have lost good cards to him, sometimes even Super Villains. But last night I got rocked pretty hard by him.

We were doing a Two Heads Are Better Than One game, but in a three-player game. I was Shazam/Wonder Woman and was doing pretty well. Managed to buy a good amount of Villains. On this turn I had purchased four Villains, so had nine cards in my hand, three of those were Kyle Rayner, H'El, and World's Mightiest Mortal. There were four Super Villains left in the stack, and Hector Hammond was on top. The player after me (who was playing as Superman/Starfire) was deciding between pulling Starbolt or Teleportation from his discards (he likes the gamble). The next player (playing Nightwing/Batman) goads him into picking Starbolt so he can afford the villain, because he knew we still hadn't faced Felix Faust yet. So, Superman/Starfire player does just that and sure enough...the next Super Villain is Felix Faust.

Oh, how gloriously mad I was! Three excellent cards in my hand (excluding the other six decent cards I had), no defenses, and I only get to keep one of them! I kept Kyle, since I had the smallest deck out of the three of us and I had four Power Rings in it, and I passed along two very nice cards. The cards I got to choose from in the Nightwing/Batman player's hand? A Punch, and two Weaknesses. That fiendish mastermind...

I ended up losing something around 15 VP that turn, a ridiculous amount of Power, and went from nine cards down to five. That's the worst Felix has done to anyone in our group. I did end up winning the game in the end, but it was by a VERY narrow margin (sadly I didn't get to pull off the Rayner insta-win that game).

Just had to share. What about you guys?

Zuty
04-30-2014, 09:12 AM
I have not yet had the pleasure to play with Felix. I'll have to print up a proxy and try him out sometime; he sounds like what a Super-Villain SHOULD be doing.

~Zuty

DimeDrl
04-30-2014, 05:13 PM
The solution I've found to the goading issue is a "Shut the F up" rule. Each player at the table has to be left to play their own hand. No recommendations from other players, no listing of the potential options for buying cards, no goading players to do something they know helps them and hurts everyone else.

I've had people argue it's a stupid rule and I've always made the point that if one person is really good at the game (or any game for that matter) and they give advice, then what they are actually doing is using another player as a proxy to play cards. The person giving the advice not only has the suggestion to give the other player, but also already has an idea on what the suggestion will lead to and how to protect against it or benefit from it. And constantly giving other players advice keeps them from getting better at the game because they tend to be reliant on others to point out ideas they missed.

With the STFU rule, the most we allow is pointing out if someone missed using their hero ability or ongoing card benefits, and players can point out missed opportunities after the player is done with thier turn, so as not to affect their play but still show them where they screwed up so they can learn not to do it again in the future.

Zuty
05-01-2014, 06:18 AM
The solution I've found to the goading issue is a "Shut the F up" rule.

Henceforth, Cryptozoic should include this rule in the rule book, because it's best thing I've heard in a long time.

I have had NO issues with the main group I play with, but it seems that whenever I play with anyone else ... If I wasn't such a nice person, I'd kick them out of the game. It's one thing to point out to a new player a good play and a completely different thing to point out how people should play their turn so that you can get exactly what you need.

From time to time, my main group does allow input from the other players, but ONLY if it is asked of them. And we're not so petty that we'll misinform them, it's a freakin' game. Unless we were playing for money, why would we lie? To be a jerk to the other people playing? We're already jerks to each other outside of playing a game. xD

~Zuty

AaronH
05-01-2014, 09:22 AM
I have not yet had the pleasure to play with Felix. I'll have to print up a proxy and try him out sometime; he sounds like what a Super-Villain SHOULD be doing.

~Zuty

Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with the card. It is definitely the kind of attack that Super Villains should have, and I love the dread when he's one of the last few SV's in the stack. But man, I hate him when he shows up.

Zuty
05-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with the card. It is definitely the kind of attack that Super Villains should have, and I love the dread when he's one of the last few SV's in the stack. But man, I hate him when he shows up.

I hope Cryptozoic is listening, because while I might be cursing and throwing my cards in the air (maybe flipping tables) ... that how I WANT a Super-Villain to feel.

I'm going to try him out tonight when I play with my friends. I'll see how they like him. ;)

~Zuty

kmonarq7
05-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Felix helped me steal a tournament win when I took the Rayner-win out of someone's hands. It was brilliant...and I loved it.

atheist4thecause
05-01-2014, 07:19 PM
OP: I once lost 20+ power. It was awhile ago so I don't remember exactly what the hand was, but I was going to have a monster turn. It was a 5 player game so I took my best card and passed the rest. I only got 4 cards back because someone was short cards in their hand, and my hand got filled with starter cards. I went from first to worst and was crippled for the rest of the game. I easily lost 15 VP's + all of the VP's I would've gotten from buying stuff with 20+ power. In the end, I think I had enough power to buy a Kick. lol

I wasn't mad, though. That's what FF does to you. Sometimes he makes your game and sometimes he breaks it. Most S-V's don't attack hard enough IMO, so it's nice that FF does. My only wonder is why he's 11 and not 12.

Zuty
05-02-2014, 12:32 PM
I tried Felix last night and I think he single-handedly won the game for my friend. He had a hand almost entirely full of Weaknesses and Vulnerabilities, while I had three Super-Villains, Green Arrow, and Sciencell. Felix turned out to be a REAL jerk, but (as I've said before) that's EXACTLY what a Super-Villain should do.

Unfortunately, Felix was the last Super-Villain so we never got to try his effect out. But it seems awesome.

~Zuty

XavierTroy
05-03-2014, 05:03 AM
his effect is crazy strong if you have a lot of different cost cards. His attack is definitely annoying but perhaps not the worst out there (close though)