PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Unsatisfied with Things

Westane
04-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Having played since the early stages of Alpha, I wanted to take a minute to express my feelings toward this game and its creators. I have been playing TCG's for as long as I can remember, everything from Magic the Gathering, to YuGiOh to WoW TCG. I've played all the digital offerings like Hearthstone, Might & Magic DoC and others. I've played all the various deck building games like Dominion and Thunderstone, going so far as to even publish my own (https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/cardcraft1)!

All that said, it is with deep regret that I find this new game extremely unsatisfying, perhaps even unacceptable.

On Game Stability:
Like everyone else I paid good money to access the game early, and when I put down money for a beta product I expect it to work. It was bad enough that we had to sit through the "alpha" stages wherein Cryptozoic deliberately limited us to playing on insufficient server hardware they knew was defective, but now we have to suffer through more of the same with closed beta? I am entitled to be able to sit down in functional test environment, play a draft or two, win some prizes, and enjoy my early access, and I certainly shouldn't be continually guilted into providing feedback or reports on my experiences. No ETA on when tournaments will be up again? Well no ETA on when I'm coming back to play more!

On Pay to Win:
In a game being marketed as Free to Play, I'm finding myself being coerced into spending a significant amount of money just to be able to enjoy the game. The starter deck you're given barely treads water in the Proving Grounds, whether against AI or human opponents, and you quickly feel the need to begin purchasing platinum. While I applaud the decision to allow for alternate means of obtaining platinum through online surveys and test services, I'm now finding myself inundated with spam email, spam mail, solicitation phone calls at odd hours and have in fact had two of my credit card numbers stolen. This, however, is a small price to pay in lieu of having to pay out of pocket "real" money for "fake" currency. This should at least be offset by allowing players to earn platinum by playing casual games against friends, strangers or second accounts, but instead we are limited to the purchasing of platinum for everything, including tournaments (No ETA).

On Player Incentive:
I touched on this above, but again, there's really no reason to play in the proving grounds at all. There is no platinum or gold reward, no rankings or achievements, nothing. Why should I be bothered to play against others when I know I'll have nothing to show for it, or to gain from it? There needs to be a reward system in place. When I play with friends in real life, a wager is made on every game, because that's what's fun, getting something for winning. Not to start a tangent, but I'm sick of random people walking up to me while I'm sitting in a card shop asking me a "play a quick game" with nothing to offer up for losing, never mind those self righteous idiots who try to shake my hand and tell me I played a "good game" on those rare occasions they manage to beat me in a tournament round...

On Lack of Features:
Where is PvE? Where is trading and the auction house? Where are double back cards and card achievements? Why can't we open chests now and save the contents for whenever we do get PvE (No ETA)? Why can't we play 2-Headed Giants or Commander or set up Cube drafts or have official Player Run Event support? Where is collection tracking? Where is spectator mode, guild support, and some release information for Set 2? All these things we've had promised over a year ago...

On Reading:
I love you Cory and company, and I love the holy hell out of this game. Some of these forum threads are seven kinds of ridiculous and I couldn't help but poke fun at it. Keep up all the great work and I'll keep dumping money into the project. I can't wait to watch it evolve and am stoked to be along for the ride! Also... today's my Friday, it's a slow day at the office and my boss is out... I'm kind of bored...

In Conclusion:
Hopefully this has summed up my feelings towards Hex and Cryptozoic in a concise and informative way, and I know there are several of you that feel exactly the same way I do, as I've read your similar arguments, complaints and suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

mudkip
04-30-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm now finding myself inundated with spam email, spam mail, solicitation phone calls at odd hours and have in fact had two of my credit card numbers stolen. This, however, is a small price to pay in lieu of having to pay out of pocket "real" money for "fake" currency.

This is where I stopped reading. You're happy to get harassed at home and have to replace your credit cards, rather than spend a couple of dollars?

It's a TCG - Pay to Win is in it's DNA. I don't know what you were expecting.

Stopsight
04-30-2014, 10:56 AM
You got me, was actually laughing at the stupidity

Edit: haha guy above me was fooled

Arkenstone
04-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 it 8/8

Yoss
04-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Sarcasm is fun. :)

Xenavire
04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 it 8/8

Please don't do this. This is a nice forum, lets not make it 4chan or Reddit.

ursa23
04-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Satire'd!

Tricsun
04-30-2014, 11:02 AM
You got me, was actually laughing at the stupidity

To be fair, it's quite a well formatted troll post, with no spelling or grammatical errors. Seems more like a shameless plug for his own game though.

oncewasblind
04-30-2014, 11:03 AM
This is where I stopped reading. You're happy to get harassed at home and have to replace your credit cards, rather than spend a couple of dollars?

Psst. He was joking the whole time. This is a joke thread.

Mahes
04-30-2014, 11:05 AM

In a "Deep Southern Accent" : Hee Hee you caught yourself a Mudkip.

mudkip
04-30-2014, 11:07 AM

This. I'm leaving the comment for penance.

I deserve this for skim reading at work :( Should be focusing on the reading instead of being at the ready to minimize.

Krond
04-30-2014, 11:40 AM
No ETA on when you'll be back, Westane? Good news for everyone!

Lawlschool
04-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Well played, Poe's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law).

Tinuvas
04-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Wow. He ran me right off the cliff too. Suckered me right in. I need to get more sleep instead of playing Hex...wait...what am I saying?!?!

nicosharp
04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
The one thing you did not talk about that is the most important part of the game is:
Gameplay!

The game is super fun. I think they did a great job with the PvP set1 design. I am having a lot of fun testing with my very limited collection (for now), against friends and AI.

Everything else is pretty much secondary. The core gameplay is great, and everything else can be repaired.

Djbousquet
04-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Great sarcastic post but there truly are deeper issues.

Over the last few days I have seen quite a regression with the overall customer satisfaction of this game and it's company. If your game is in ANY WAY related or associated with people getting scammed and their identity stolen it will be a black eye with-in the community. Tournaments are still down, beta keys are being given away with false advertising about the game, people are still having numerous issues with the client and the customer service through gameforges site is atrocious, I have been sitting on the same ticket for 5 days and the few times they tried to fix it they screwed it up even more. The final response I got was this is a bug we are currently working on and will leave your ticket open until we get around to solving it. This is not what I wanted to see in the early stages of beta none the less at all from HEX and Cryptozoic.

This jump from Alpha to Beta was EXTREMELY premature and almost everything associated with the change ESPECIALLY the association and partnership with Gameforge is backfiring dramatically.

I think we all want absolutely nothing but the best for the future of this game but what I have seen recently is extremely disappointing.

Gwaer
04-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Why are you posting the exact same comment in multiple threads?

Djbousquet
04-30-2014, 12:30 PM
because it is a justified response with merit to those who start the posts. Why would I type the same response over and over again responding to the same type of threads?

Westane
04-30-2014, 12:35 PM
because it is a justified response with merit to those who start the posts. Why would I type the same response over and over again responding to the same type of threads?

I agree, it's especially relevant in response to the section wherein I complain about "Reading"

GatticusFinch
04-30-2014, 12:35 PM
The circle jerk is strong in this one. Perhaps I should make an equally sarcastic "Extremely Satisfied with Things" post and see how much love it receives?

Djbousquet
04-30-2014, 12:36 PM
The circle jerk is strong in this one. Perhaps I should make an equally sarcastic "Extremely Satisfied with Things" post and see how much love it receives?

Already is one :)

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=35172

GatticusFinch
04-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Already is one :)

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=35172

That one's not sarcastic though.

Saeijou
04-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Like! sums up many threads here... (which aren't sarcastic sadly...)

Aradon
04-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Why is my beta feature-incomplete??
This is completely unreasonable!

Alequel
04-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Dude You are EVIL. I Was completely trolled. :( I have just spend precious minutes reading your post and I was pissed off at how ignorant you were through most of it. Awesome post :D I wonder if any CZE employee will fall for it :P

Edit: who am I kidding precious minutes I am just wasting my time waiting for the servers to come back online.

bojanglesz
04-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Keep up the good fight guys!11

Freebird_Falcon
04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
bahahah, had me riled up

Hexgo
04-30-2014, 03:11 PM
nice one :-)

deathandtexas
04-30-2014, 05:02 PM

qft

FoundInTheFlood
05-01-2014, 02:19 AM

As someone said, and I found this a very good wording: It isn't pay to win, it is pay to COMPETE. As in every TCG.

Chiany
05-01-2014, 03:00 AM
It's Beta!!

And that's already to much words spent on this.

Khazrakh
05-01-2014, 03:43 AM
It's Beta!!

You didn't read it!

And that's already to much words spent on this.

;)

wasichu
05-01-2014, 04:05 AM
I'm not extremely dissatisfied as it is early beta, but it does sux being Thursday now and still no tourneys. Playing with a starter deck against the backers who had primal packs and no probs opening a hundred packs being able to make quality decks makes the proving grounds less fun. Being a slacker back I got 25 packs to use efficiently so until tourneys are up im having to make do with my starter.

It would even be nice if cze would send the code so slackerbackers could get their bonus starter pack so I would then have a larger card pool to do something.

Zomnivore
05-01-2014, 04:30 AM
I don't quite know how to correctly reframe what was in my mind...so I'll just say.

Its beta.

Not everything's in.

Pve is the free 2 play aspect of the game and isn't in.

It had to start sometime, and it obviously wasn't going to start perfect from a budgeting standpoint...we were always expected to be a part of the testing apparatus for the game from a cost savings standpoint.

The pvp trading aspect was always going to be pay to play, and people have discussed what is and isn't pay to win, and how that correctly applies, and if you'd been keeping up at all, I think you'd find yourself much more satisfied then what you currently are.

Honestly got me, but eh.

I spent 1min posting a neutral reply to what amounted to a fake complaint.

Glad I didn't spend time reading it all tbh. Skimming only gets you so far.

Mejis
05-01-2014, 04:36 AM
Hehe, it's funny reading through the comments and the people who read his whole post vs the people who didn't.

Well played.

Revoluketion
05-01-2014, 07:58 AM
This is just a really big waste of time mate..I don't know why you took the time to post this? Very few will agree with you..If you didn't know the monitization format for a TCG you might have wanted to look deeper into how they work..as for early access.....this is the big one man; you didn't pay to play a complete game early (I hate how every game does early access because it's breeding entitled people) you payed early for the chance to beta test the sloppy servers and get some extra benifits on top. I hope you'll understand this, however if you end up not playing..no offense but the community doesn't need toxic players who have no understanding for mistakes and error.

incitfulmonk21
05-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Sadly I too was trolled and saddened by the post. As my penance I am leaving this comment so you know how well you did.

Thrawn
05-01-2014, 08:14 AM
This may be my favorite forum thread right now. It does such a great job of proving that so many of the people attacking anyone with any complaints don't even actually take the time to read what they posted before getting worked up over it.

But not all of them thankfully, so kudos to the people who actually take time to read.

Westane
05-01-2014, 08:32 AM
This is just a really big waste of time mate..I don't know why you took the time to post this? Very few will agree with you..If you didn't know the monitization format for a TCG you might have wanted to look deeper into how they work..as for early access.....this is the big one man; you didn't pay to play a complete game early (I hate how every game does early access because it's breeding entitled people) you payed early for the chance to beta test the sloppy servers and get some extra benifits on top. I hope you'll understand this, however if you end up not playing..no offense but the community doesn't need toxic players who have no understanding for mistakes and error.
Oh Rev...

GatticusFinch
05-01-2014, 08:42 AM
This circle jerk thread really has reached critical mass now that people are creating other circle jerk threads believing it to be true.

Westane
05-01-2014, 08:44 AM
This circle jerk thread really has reached critical mass now that people are creating other circle jerk threads believing it to be true.
Just remember, last one to show up has to sit in the middle.

majin
05-01-2014, 12:27 PM
if i didn't read from the other post that this is a satire post, i would have been fooled too. damn, i should stop reading forums when i only got 2 hours of sleep

DuroNL
05-01-2014, 12:39 PM
I was ready to post a QQ some more!!

But then i saw the on reading part :P, good one!! made me laugh, and thats good about this community!

Vorpal
05-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Good work. Convincing Satire is difficult and I wasn't sure you were being sarcastic until the part about incentives for casual games.

Westane
05-01-2014, 02:51 PM
...until the part about incentives for casual games.
Hmm... http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=35129

Guess I'm better than you thought?