PDA

View Full Version : That fresh, pack opening experience

Tinuvas
04-30-2014, 02:00 PM
So beta starts, no problem. Then I realize that I don't have 4 Argus', or 4 EOC, or...ah crud. I mean, I knew what beta and the wipe meant, but I didn't KNOW it. Now I'm a smart man, I know you don't open packs, you save 'em for drafts. I love drafts. But I want to open SOMETHING. So I did. It felt great. I got 4 Master Theorycrafters! And some Argus'! and some other awesome stuff! Everything I want? No. Still have that twitch to open more packs, but I am resisting at the moment. But oh what awesome stuff I got!

I guess my point is that it was just about as cool to open packs in Hex as it ever was in Magic etc. Well done CZE, well done. There was an itch...it was scratched.

azaleus
04-30-2014, 02:07 PM
And they rope you in with the Wheels of Fate on top of that.

I was all about keeping my packs untouched and pure, but then CZE walks in with their comp. gold, and just tempts me to break my vows.

And I broke.

And it was glorious.

Diesbudt
04-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Trust me Tinu.... 155 packs and not a single Pack Raptor to round out the 3 I already had... saddened me. Though I pulled a few eyes, jaduums and such. But still... That darn raptor...

But I opened each pack 1 at a time. It felt great all th way through! Like days of old!

GPrime
04-30-2014, 04:53 PM
155 packs and not a single Pack Raptor to round out the 3 I already had...

Once trading is working, hit me up. I've got a few extra Raptors but could use an Eye. =)

ev1lb0b
04-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Once trading is working, hit me up. I've got a few extra Raptors but could use an Eye. =)

Ah the trading, I cannot wait to see how the value of cards will play out....my EOC for your Pack Raptor?

GPrime
04-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Honestly while auction house will be a great place to get cards quick, the best "value" both players are going to get is through peer to peer trading. No auction house fees, no nearest-cent rounding, no bid wars, and no sniping (which could be nigh-eliminated by a "bid extension" system, but I digress.) I'll probably move a lot of my cards by checking completed auctions for approximate value then searching out trades through my guild forums. Likely, we'll have quite a lot of people doing the same.

Oroniss
04-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Yeah, the pack opening is really well done. I caved last night and opened the last of mine :(.

Oh, well, there should be plenty more available cheapish when the AH comes up. I'll be picking up as many as I can afford.

Diesbudt
04-30-2014, 07:36 PM

I will be game for that. I know how powerful Eye can be and its potential with Puck, but I am not the biggest fan of that card. On the other hand, a fun pve combo of raptors + gambit (and gear) sounds more interesting to me.

Xexist
04-30-2014, 07:57 PM
So far I am staying strong and have opened nothing. So far. I really really REALLY hope this game does well. I know no small amount of money has already gone from my pocket to theirs, and I am willing to give them more. So willing. Shut up and take my money!

Bells
04-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Dude... we are Alphas. You know what that is?

Give yourself a prize, binge a little. I'll gladly shred each of my 115 packs and then i'll get myself another 70 for drafting later on. This is the sort of thing that will be less worth it later on, so why not celebrate it a little when you can?

Also, people with 2-3k cards will be the ones populating the AH with singles for the early players when it's avaliable, so it might even be worth it.

Xexist
04-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Dude... we are Alphas. You know what that is?

Give yourself a prize, binge a little. I'll gladly shred each of my 115 packs and then i'll get myself another 70 for drafting later on. This is the sort of thing that will be less worth it later on, so why not celebrate it a little when you can?

Also, people with 2-3k cards will be the ones populating the AH with singles for the early players when it's avaliable, so it might even be worth it.

Hmmmmm you are compelling sir.

Bells
04-30-2014, 10:54 PM
Oh i'm the little demon on the shoulder of these Booster Hoarders we have here =P lol

In all seriousness though... we can all play smart guy later on, when do you ever get a chance like this? To just go wild with a pile of boosters for a game you like and want and still get something out of it? It sure as hell ain't gonna be worth to pop 100+ boosters once the game goes final and people start debating Metas, lists and future sets.... so why not go crazy a little right now and have fun?

Poetic
05-01-2014, 04:44 AM
I started with 310 packs and every intention to draft them. Then I said 10 won't hurt, 300 is perfect for draft. Next night, no tournament. Let's crack 30, 270 is still 90 drafts! Once those 30 are opened, well... I doubt I could get thru 90 drafts anyway. 70 more packs opened with the encouragement of alcohol.

I sat at 200 up until Tuesday, but gave in to another 50 saying 150 is still 50 drafts.

At this point I'm just not going to log in until the tournaments are back in.

Tinuvas
05-01-2014, 06:47 AM
I started with 310 packs and every intention to draft them. Then I said 10 won't hurt, 300 is perfect for draft. Next night, no tournament. Let's crack 30, 270 is still 90 drafts! Once those 30 are opened, well... I doubt I could get thru 90 drafts anyway. 70 more packs opened with the encouragement of alcohol.

I sat at 200 up until Tuesday, but gave in to another 50 saying 150 is still 50 drafts.

This. I can't think about it or I will give in and then when drafts hit the table again, I will cry. A lot.

Tirc
05-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Am I the only one who would like to see each card individually as I open a pack? I feel like it gives more of a real world feel. I don't want to see all 14 be flipped over at once and then flip my rare/legendary. I really would like an option to see one card at a time. I'm not saying that I hate the way it is now, but that would improve pack opening significantly for me.

Tinuvas
05-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Well, while I am positive that there are those who like opening each pack, for me, after about 10 individual packs, all I care about is the rare. I am positive that I have lost some of my humanity as a result, but there is just a part of me that craves that emotional high of turning over that $ card.

wigglez721
05-01-2014, 12:02 PM

This is why I haven't logged in the last 5 days. I just come here to the forums and check to see if drafts are up yet.

Saeijou
05-01-2014, 12:56 PM
its really hard to hold back... i oppened my primals... but noting more... my 311 packs have to wait ... but its hard :/

JakeFreedom
05-01-2014, 01:09 PM
CZE is keeping tournaments down till they know most people have opened all their packs.. Naahh... Just kidding... I like opening packs, I opened all of mine. Then I will just have to buy some more when drafts are back up. That way there isn't the temptation to open..

CrimsonSoul
05-01-2014, 01:14 PM
I opened all but like 45 of my packs and a guildy of mine has all but 48 opened but with the year of free weekly drafts I dunno if I should pop open the other 45 or hold off on them

Kurasa
05-01-2014, 01:42 PM
I've been holding back pretty well so far. Only cracked a few packs, and had a lot of fun doing it. It's really tempting to keep going, though. Maybe just one more pack...

And they rope you in with the Wheels of Fate on top of that.

^This, too. I've been itching to try some spins. I have a feeling I'll be going through packs much faster once I can get my hands on some gold.

Diesbudt
05-01-2014, 01:43 PM

This is what happened to me. But the finishing blow was realizing I wasn't going to draft a lot in the first set and that is all i can draft with those, since i have the 1 year + 3 more drafts, I am fine opening all my packs. This way i can also start setting up trades and preparing for the Ah and such.

Only downside is seeing the 160+ chests in my inventory (6 legendary, 19 rare, rest uncommon/common) and I cannot open them or i have no gold to spin them with until tournaments come back up. sooo...

Saeijou
05-01-2014, 03:29 PM
don't forget that you get chests if you draft! 3 chests for the three boosters you open while drafting