PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think that UI needs serious rework?

rx22
04-30-2014, 03:09 PM
For me the current UI seems like...well placeholders for real deal, it was ok in alfa, I just thought that with beta we will get something much closer to release look, but it is still old alfa look. Also I think the UI should be brighter, like more fantasy style, cuurent theme is just too dark for this positive MMOTCG game. What do you think guys?

nicosharp
04-30-2014, 03:17 PM
It would be nice to see a "playmat" feature to allow players to unlock custom skins for the UI board in game.

I think the options and scrolling / a few other UI things need serious upgrades.

There are only 3 things I would like to see for the board-state in a game:
1 - A better way to handle a large number of troops/etc. in play. Not small incredibly hard to click on troops (How is this going to work for the fat fingered on a tablet? Or at least have a zoom feature for the entire board state.

2 - More effects for the seemingly useless lines around the board and wheel in the center of the board.

3 - Better descriptions for things: Example - being able to look at the Poca hero charge power and clicking on a Blaze elemental to see what it is. Also hovering over an opponents deck sleeves to see what they are called. Quick and clean graveyard scrolling, without needing a new card view to pop-up center screen. Allow ppl to enter options when in a game.

Svenn
04-30-2014, 03:21 PM
It would be nice to see a "playmat" feature to allow players to unlock custom skins for the UI board in game.
That's the 660k stretch goal that we hit. 5 new game boards. Expect to see that happen at some point. :)

bojanglesz
04-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Yeah, it's a bunch of tables. Looks kinda like an HTML layout. I hope it'll get better, I think it's something that will be upgraded as time goes on. At least I hope.

chili
04-30-2014, 03:27 PM
For me the current UI seems like...well placeholders for real deal, it was ok in alfa, I just thought that with beta we will get something much closer to release look, but it is still old alfa look. Also I think the UI should be brighter, like more fantasy style, cuurent theme is just too dark for this positive MMOTCG game. What do you think guys?

Yes the UI should be reworked and is most likely placeholder but that's the sort of thing that *might* get fixed in 6 months.

nicosharp
04-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Just know that the UI has already changed quite a bit since early alpha. It's much cleaner than it used to be.

Werlix
04-30-2014, 03:30 PM

Yeah I think it could do with an overhaul. Looks a bit like a UI put together by coders, not designed from the ground up by a graphic/UI designer before implementing.

As for the dark style, I actually like this. It fits with Hex's more sci-fi space theme.

cavench
04-30-2014, 03:37 PM
I dream of an customizable UI, one that every component is modular. I would very much like to adjust the size of my avatar, the location of my threshold cyrstals, or the angle of the tabletop.

rx22
04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Missed that :D but hoping that it wont be just "pretty new circle", personally the "circle" style board doesn't really attract me that much, hope for the option like "skins" for board that would actually change significally how the board looks mostly taking away the "circle" style of it. But that just me, probably there are a lot of people who think current board version is better :)

GatticusFinch
04-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Considering the parts of the circle that show what stage of the hand you are in get covered up, I don't really get the point of that. It's a cool idea, but then you stick cards on top of it and now it is a distraction.

Vorpal
04-30-2014, 03:44 PM
It could use improvement, however, usually nailing down the UI is the last step and certainly of lower priority than getting stability working.

It may not even be the same set of guys, but there is little point in making a really polished UI while you are still developing core features.

Kami
04-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Personally, I'm just missing the robustness. Certain things take more steps or are just unavailable to make the UI more slick.

As a comparison, the old MTGO client looked terrible but it did provide nearly everything in an easy to read and somewhat adjustable manner (like stops, phases, what's happening, etc.).

For example:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/1/14906/469584-mtg7.jpg

I'm not saying to copy it but to take parts of the philosophy of the design. Functionality should trump design. Creativity is what allows you to do both. :)

I do know they have a UI team working on it in the background and I'm assuming there's a lot of work that just hasn't been pushed out publicly yet.

Werlix
04-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Missed that :D but hoping that it wont be just "pretty new circle", personally the "circle" style board doesn't really attract me that much, hope for the option like "skins" for board that would actually change significally how the board looks mostly taking away the "circle" style of it. But that just me, probably there are a lot of people who think current board version is better :)

I quite like the look and feel of the actual board and gameplay. I just think all the design of the various windows/tables/buttons etc could be much nicer.

rx22
04-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Guess we just have to wait and see what open beta brings :)

deathandtexas
04-30-2014, 04:02 PM
I like the UI as it is actually.

Xenavire
04-30-2014, 04:09 PM
I like the UI as it is actually.

I agree - I won't deny I look forward to it being improved, but for me, I don't feel it is required to change yet. It is familiar, comfortable, and easy to navigate - updates need to be made in places, but the overall feel is pretty good for me so far.

Although, I want a semi-transparent spirit-themed game board, that makes our cards look like they are floating in some ethereal limbo. THAT would be awesome.

Simo46
04-30-2014, 08:06 PM
The in game stuff is ok so far and could do with just some tweaks, but man I still find making a deck painful at times

LauraCrow
05-01-2014, 04:37 AM
The first thing I said (other account) when I joined these forums was the option to PASS ALL PRIORITY (just like MTGO). I got trolled so many times; the only reason why I repeated myself is because I believe in this project and I donated a lot of money in it. A simple function like this is essential (especially for non-casuals) and I doubt it's HARD to implement.

If anyone of the dev/staff is interested, let them create an MTGO account and try it themselves. Play an MTGO game and hit F7 during your turn and see how amazing it feels.

Xenavire
05-01-2014, 04:47 AM
The first thing I said (other account) when I joined these forums was the option to PASS ALL PRIORITY (just like MTGO). I got trolled so many times; the only reason why I repeated myself is because I believe in this project and I donated a lot of money in it. A simple function like this is essential (especially for non-casuals) and I doubt it's HARD to implement.

If anyone of the dev/staff is interested, let them create an MTGO account and try it themselves. Play an MTGO game and hit F7 during your turn and see how amazing it feels.

It is in the list of upcoming features. I am guessing it has been for a very, very long time, but hasn't been worked on extensively because of all the other client issues.

So you can relax, this game will be everything you want, and more. :)

Pezzle
05-01-2014, 06:18 AM
*eventually

jourikdv
05-01-2014, 06:26 AM
My wishlist for improvements:
- better and more card sorting options, both in the regular card manager and during limited play (for instance sort by cost should make columns with card cost 0, 1, 2, ...)
- better chat window (missing a slider to scroll faster, settings of size and position are discarded when going to another screen, and not remembered after restarting client) with more right click functionalities (add friend, view profile, ...)
- in game: history of cards played and what they targetted
- card manager does not show you when you own a card but it's in a deck

cathead
05-01-2014, 06:54 AM
I'd like to see some tweaks to how card viewing is handled during the game. It's not THAT bad right now with mousewheel to zoom, but it still feels like zooming to such an extreme (where it fills up most of the screen) is kind of unnecessary especially when you just want to check card text really quick. It would be a lot faster if we could have some kind of mouseover tooltip like in the deck manager, or maybe just an "enlarge card to a readable size on mouseover" kind of thing, or even just scale the card text like MTGO does.

That being said, it's reasonably playable as it is now so I don't mind waiting awhile for stuff like that so we can get more critical features in sooner.

maniza
05-01-2014, 07:21 AM
dont worry about card text. once you play for like 2 days you dont need it any more.

GatticusFinch
05-01-2014, 07:28 AM
*eventually

*hopefully

And yes, the card text is very important. I don't see how playing for two days is going to get you to see he text on every single card, let alone all the PvE ones or ones that have yet to be released. Readable card text without zooming is a basic expectation.

ThomasHunter
05-01-2014, 07:30 AM
For the game screen, when I hover over my hand (generally all the time), they get in the way of the pass priority button. Seems like that button could be moved up slightly so this doesn't happen.

On the filters, I'd like to see a feature that I think MOL has done nicely. There, I can right-click on a particular sort item, and all the rest are filtered out. So, in Hex, if I reight-click "Humans", then only Humans will appear. As it is, I have been clicking everything else off instead.

Admittedly, I'm still learning the interface, so if something like this already exists, that is also good! :)

Happy Gaming,
Taleisin

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 07:31 AM
*hopefully

*definitely

cathead
05-01-2014, 07:41 AM
dont worry about card text. once you play for like 2 days you dont need it any more.

Uh yeah, sorry, there's no way you're going to memorize everything in 2 days, especially once PvE is out. Like, I see your point to an extent, there are certainly a number of common cards that I don't need to check, but there are a ton that I still DO need to and will continue to as I play new decks I'm unfamiliar with, so speeding up that process definitely helps the game flow.

Like I said before, it's not anything critical, but it's something that needs to be considered at some point, especially if we're going to be bringing in new players who aren't used to MtG or whatever. It will help in PvE too when we have this entirely new set to learn that's full of cards with all sorts of crazy new effects.

Pezzle
05-01-2014, 07:45 AM
*definitely

*Results may vary. If swelling continues for more than 1 week, discontinue use of this product and consult a physician.

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 08:01 AM
*Results may vary. If swelling continues for more than 1 week, discontinue use of this product and consult a physician.

It really is definitely on the roadmap. It came up again in conversation last night - I had a 20 minute discussion on the things they were doing to get to the outcome they (and all of us want) - readable cards at all time. So, definitely. :)

Shustro
05-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Yes, i think UI need serious rework

* manual rag&drop piles in deck and draft editor
* size/scale slider in deck editor то scale cards in custome size
* battle keyboard hotkeys like in MTGO - F2, F5, F6 etc..
* remove all empty wasted spaces

DuroNL
05-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Nah, just the Chat UI is what i think needs a serious make-over, but that is not a priority if you ask me, just have that ready at launch.
Give us the customization powers to customize; chat color, chat tabs, size, an opacity range of 0-100% and so on

The_Lannisters
05-01-2014, 03:53 PM
To me the UI still looks quite Alpha ish. I hope they redo the chat windows completely and improve the whole feel.

Ogodei
05-02-2014, 02:07 AM
Definitely needs a rework. For some reason I was expecting a new look with beta, but as we all know we only got a monetized alpha instead.

Thoom
05-02-2014, 11:44 AM
The three biggest things for me are, in no particular order:

Chat - I could write a whole novel about ways the chat system could be improved, but I'll hold off until it's no longer obviously a placeholder)
Tiny cards being nearly unclickable when the field is full of cards (big problem for token and/or ingenuity engine decks)
Multiwindow/multimonitor/multitasking support. This seems depressingly unlikely (since Unity doesn't support multiple windows), but it would be super cool if I could run multiple game windows in parallel, so I could have chat in one window (or multiple windows for multiple channels), my currently running tournament in another, and a PVE game in yet another.

Kami
05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Multiwindow/multimonitor/multitasking support. This seems depressingly unlikely (since Unity doesn't support multiple windows), but it would be super cool if I could run multiple game windows in parallel, so I could have chat in one window (or multiple windows for multiple channels), my currently running tournament in another, and a PVE game in yet another.

Seriously?! *did not know this*

That's a bit depressing.

Thoom
05-02-2014, 12:15 PM
There are ways to work around it, like allowing a player to run multiple instances of the client, but there's no simple solution.

Xenavire
05-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't they add custom code for additional features like that? I have seen people rip apart game engines and do neat things with them, and Unity is similar (I could be wrong though.)

That said, it wouldn't be easy, even if it was possible.

Thoom
05-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Unity does license out their source code on a case by case basis, but it would probably cost a lot more (they won't even tell you up front how much it costs, it has to be negotiated on an individual basis), and as you say it's likely it wouldn't be easy to add that kind of major engine-level feature.

Mahes
05-02-2014, 07:19 PM
1. "All Attack"

2. Pass turn with a pause at the end step.

3. Stop loading every card I have. I want to pick the colors/names I want, when I am ready to build a deck.

This really would save a lot of game time.

Zomnivore
05-02-2014, 08:42 PM
I think the in game sort of card flipping stuff is as tight as it needs to be, but the ingame chat, and the general functionality of that system needs to be improved.

Takes time, though, so I certainly don't mind it taking a bit.

Lothlorien
05-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Apart from what other people have mentioned (missing scroll bar "thumb", chat overhaul, pass priority until end of turn, card scaling etc.), I'd like to see the following UX additions in deck builder:

* zoom into a card w/ mouse wheel click
* sort cards in lists by clicking column headers
* allow reverse sort
* ultra compact card list view
* currently the deck builder is split in the middle, but I'd like to be able to move the split up and down to resize the deck/collection areas

Sadly my Loading Data bar is stuck at 100% atm so I can't login to see what else I can come up with. Filing a bug right now.

RoaRawR
05-05-2014, 05:22 AM
Would love to be able to change the look on "my" side of the table like sleeves

Kitsune
05-05-2014, 11:50 AM
I am generally happy with the look and interface for the dueling table. It has some glitches, looking at you here infinitely tiny tiny cards when you get 20+ creatures out, but aside from bugs like that I don't have complaints about the UI for actually playing the game.

The UI outside of gameplay is awful. It looks like a bad website made from a cheap template, with buttons that seem to have been the product of five minutes tops in Photoshop. The interface needs to be big and bold, easy to read, easy to click, if you actually intend to port the game to tablets. Fiddly little buttons and drop-down menus are a pain on small touchscreens.

Cards need to be scaled so that you can actually read the text on them from your collection screen without having to click on each and every one to zoom in. The collection windows need to be more attractive than square boxes with a fiddly scroll bar on the side; these cards are all we'll ever own as there is no physical Hex game, they need to displayed to the best possible effect so a player can enjoy their great art and feel some pride in their collection. A scaled-down card with unreadable text isn't something that really inspires a person to think, "Wow, it sure is great that I spent real cash on this!" You ever see a Magic player open their binder and just start stroking their cards? Well that person's creepy. But that's the sort of emotion that the collection window should be trying to evoke, when I see my Hex cards I should be struck by how great they look, how awesome the art is, and how I want to buy lots more. Instead I just sort of squint at the blurry cards on my screen and feel vaguely frustrated at having to scroll through them to find the cards I want to add to a deck.

GatticusFinch
05-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the animated armor guy on the home screen is cheesy as all hell? It looks like something Napoleon Dynamite drew.

Ogodei
05-05-2014, 01:22 PM
I am generally happy with the look and interface for the dueling table. It has some glitches, looking at you here infinitely tiny tiny cards when you get 20+ creatures out, but aside from bugs like that I don't have complaints about the UI for actually playing the game.

The UI outside of gameplay is awful. It looks like a bad website made from a cheap template, with buttons that seem to have been the product of five minutes tops in Photoshop. The interface needs to be big and bold, easy to read, easy to click, if you actually intend to port the game to tablets. Fiddly little buttons and drop-down menus are a pain on small touchscreens.

Cards need to be scaled so that you can actually read the text on them from your collection screen without having to click on each and every one to zoom in. The collection windows need to be more attractive than square boxes with a fiddly scroll bar on the side; these cards are all we'll ever own as there is no physical Hex game, they need to displayed to the best possible effect so a player can enjoy their great art and feel some pride in their collection. A scaled-down card with unreadable text isn't something that really inspires a person to think, "Wow, it sure is great that I spent real cash on this!" You ever see a Magic player open their binder and just start stroking their cards? Well that person's creepy. But that's the sort of emotion that the collection window should be trying to evoke, when I see my Hex cards I should be struck by how great they look, how awesome the art is, and how I want to buy lots more. Instead I just sort of squint at the blurry cards on my screen and feel vaguely frustrated at having to scroll through them to find the cards I want to add to a deck.

This. But I doubt a redesign or investing a big deal of resources into the UI is very high on their to do list atm, if at all. I'm not sure if it's seen as a major issue even. From what we've seen so far they don't have any professional UI designers on the team, unless those people have been secretly working on something behind the scenes.

Kitsune
05-05-2014, 03:21 PM
The UI developers should be different people than the ones working on the missing gameplay features. At least I very much hope the Unity developers aren't the same people as the ones working on PvE stuff, card mechanics, etc.

Badgered
05-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Gonna have to agree that the UI needs a lot of work. It feels cheap and temporary, and I find MTGO 3.0's UI (and the Wide Beta) far superior to the current game space and collection viewer presentation. There is too much unused and misused space in the interface. At this point I would be tickled pink if they just ripped off MTGO's Wide Beta UI.

Mejis
05-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Gonna have to agree that the UI needs a lot of work. It feels cheap and temporary, and I find MTGO 3.0's UI (and the Wide Beta) far superior to the current game space and collection viewer presentation. There is too much unused and misused space in the interface. At this point I would be tickled pink if they just ripped off MTGO's Wide Beta UI.

Can you send a link or screenshot of what the current MTGO UI looks like? I went there the other day to download it, but it asked if I wanted the 'current' or wide beta version? What's the difference? I got confused ...

Fateanomaly
05-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Is there a way to make the window bigger. When too many cards are out and they all shrinked it become had to differentiate between the individual cards.

Mushroom_C1oud
05-06-2014, 07:31 AM
Is there a way to make the window bigger. When too many cards are out and they all shrinked it become had to differentiate between the individual cards.

It definitely becomes a problem with my Shin'hare deck and I start to get about 30 or more bunnies on the field.

Badgered
05-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Can you send a link or screenshot of what the current MTGO UI looks like? I went there the other day to download it, but it asked if I wanted the 'current' or wide beta version? What's the difference? I got confused ...

Well, that's tiny as hell. You can grab it here (https://accounts.onlinegaming.wizards.com/#) and see for yourself with a guest account. 3.0 is pretty decent as well, but it doesn't have as many frills and some of the conveniences of 4.0.

jourikdv
05-10-2014, 01:26 PM
I did a couple of drafts today and would love to see the following improved:
- no proper sorting/grouping options for cards, if I click sort by cost I would like to see a column with all the 0 drops, then 1 drops, etc..., not just all the cards from left to right or top to bottom in the order of their costs..
- same if I select sort by color
- there is no simple ratio of troop to action display, got to do a lot of manual counting and recounting
- ratio and resource tabs randomly going blank and not displaying anything
- cards you bin show up again in the list of cards when deckbuilding starts, would prefer these to be in a seperate tab still..