PDA

View Full Version : British players stop overpaying for plat! Work around inside.

primer
05-01-2014, 02:40 AM
Hi, I started a post a week ago showing how British players are losing 800 plat per 100 spent. Here's the quick example.

100 = 16'000 plat
100 = €121
€120 = 16'800 plat

From that post and other discussions some assumptions were made:

1) They were using old exchange rates from when the was weaker.
2) Gameforge...
3) No one cares.

After raising a ticket I got this reply:

"This is created with current exchange rates and we're constantly looking into this to change the prices as much as we can to make them as even as possible."

So they aren't old rates and they do care?

While CZE looks into evening things out, not knowing if they ever will, I found a way for British players to pay in Euros and by doing so, even with exchange rate charges, save some of the plat lost by paying in .

There are plenty of programmes out there but I use ZenMate Chrome, a totally free addon to chrome that lets you view a web page as if you were in a different country. So you set ZenMate up as if you were in Germany, press the Buy Plat button in game and now your webpage is in Euro prices.

Now you still don't get more value than the other currencies but now:

€120 = 16'800 plat
€120 = 102.28 using Paypal exchange rates.
2.28 = 385 plat.

So using this method we are losing 385 plat per 100 spent instead of losing 800 plat per 100 spent or gaining 415plat/100. Not bad for an extra mouse click.

You may get better exchange rates from your bank/credit card but I wouldn't trust GameForge with my phone number let alone credit card info.

I know a lot of people wont really care... they say its only 800 plat per 100 what you complaining about etc. but its all value at the end of the day.

tl;dr If 1000 Brits spend 100 a year we just gained 415'000 plat collectively or $4150 using this method.

Kroan
05-01-2014, 02:49 AM
You're welcome!

Marsden
05-01-2014, 03:53 AM
That paying in a different currency plus exchange rates is better than paying in your own currency clearly shows that the exchange rates are wrong. Good confirmation that a proxy will work around the problem for now.

Hopefully this is fixed properly before purchasing is moved to be in-client.

Kroan
05-01-2014, 04:04 AM
Btw, everything above 5% price increase would be a reason for me to complain. 8% is enough that CZE should look into this.

Marsden
05-01-2014, 04:23 AM
You know, Gameforge should stop the stupid .99 pricing as well. We say $1 = 100 plat when they're putting up $4.99 = 500.
It's not like anyone is looking at it and going Oh! Only $4!

ossuary
05-01-2014, 04:29 AM
It's not like anyone is looking at it and going Oh! Only $4!

Sadly, that's EXACTLY what's happening, for a statistically relevant number of people. It's called a "psychological barrier" and it's a real thing. Basically, you sell a noticeable margin more units at $4.99 than you do at $5.00. It's stupid, but apparently it works on enough Joe Six-Packs that companies keep doing it.

This is one of the (many) reasons I weep for humanity as a whole on a regular basis. :p

primer
05-01-2014, 04:36 AM
Btw, everything above 5% price increase would be a reason for me to complain. 8% is enough that CZE should look into this.

Here is the full response from the ticket:

"Answer from: Vian

Hello primer,

Thank you for contacting HEX Customer Support. This is created with current exchange rates and we're constantly looking into this to change the prices as much as we can to make them as even as possible. In some situations this may not be perfect but over time, they will become closer and closer. If you require any further assistance, or have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me again."

So they must at least have a little look. But with the being so far off in value I can only assume there was a mistake somewhere because 8% difference shows little effort to make the currencies "as even as possible".

Marsden
05-01-2014, 04:42 AM
Do you want to reply to the ticket with current exchange rates and maths?

primer
05-01-2014, 05:05 AM
Do you want to reply to the ticket with current exchange rates and maths?

The original ticket had the math in it...

"Hi i'd like to get someone from CZE to look at this because when I mention it on forums it gets ignored.

100 = 16’000 plat
100 = €121 = $168
€120 = $168 = 16’800 plat

Why do you let people paying in Pound Sterling lose 800 plat per 100 spent? Cory talks about fairness on the forums, but the UK is being screwed. We need the option to pay in Euros at the very least, even with currency exchange charges its still worth paying in Euros."

I just hope the right eyes saw the ticket and I didn't just get a generic response to keep me happy.

Gorgol
05-01-2014, 05:13 AM
yeah, this definitely needs to be addressed.

primer
05-01-2014, 05:36 AM
yeah, this definitely needs to be addressed.

Well fingers crossed we get a purple response but I'm not holding my breath, hence the work around.

The best answer I read was that the prices were set when the cash shop was being created. 6 months ago you got $160 for 100 and this would answer why the math works out the way it does, but then the ticket response refutes this.

Another work around I've just found would be to buy Amazon gift cards from their German site as gameforge accept these. This means your using your credit cards exchange rates and charges but I'm certain it would still be better value and you don't have to use proxies.

LookAtMyHooves
05-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Wow. I'd understand if the Dollar was stronger than other currencies as it is in most micro transaction games, but, as proven; there seems to be alot of effort gone into matching the Dollar and the Euro but the Pound has been ignored...

I'm so glad I haven't bought any plat yet and if I do, it certainly wont be with Pounds.

primer
05-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Method 3 of paying in euros.

GameForge sell gift cards, up to €50, on 3rd party sites like g2a.com for all of their current games. As of now these gift cards don't seem to exist for Hex but with time these will be released.

These are $60 for a €50 card which is good value but the plat values, upon release, might not reflect the amount a direct purchase from GameForge nets you.

Turtlewing
05-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Is it posible that the actual conversion is converting to USD and the difference is because the Euro/USD and GBP/USD rates are different?

the_artic_one
05-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Sadly, that's EXACTLY what's happening, for a statistically relevant number of people. It's called a "psychological barrier" and it's a real thing. Basically, you sell a noticeable margin more units at $4.99 than you do at $5.00. It's stupid, but apparently it works on enough Joe Six-Packs that companies keep doing it.

This is one of the (many) reasons I weep for humanity as a whole on a regular basis. :p
It actually works on just about everyone to some degree. JCPenny tried pricing everything in whole dollars once and almost went bankrupt.

DuroNL
05-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Method 3 of paying in euros.

GameForge sell gift cards, up to €50, on 3rd party sites like g2a.com for all of their current games. As of now these gift cards don't seem to exist for Hex but with time these will be released.

These are $60 for a €50 card which is good value but the plat values, upon release, might not reflect the amount a direct purchase from GameForge nets you.

Though there seems to be Amazon Gift cards option, I've not look into this, but perhaps that is a way to get Plat at a normal price?

They should of course try and get the GBP in sync with, USD and EURO, but i can understand they can't get every coin in the world in at the start of closed beta, i mean Scandinavian lands also don't use EURO but their own currency... i guess it will take some time to get everything in sync. but i do remember CZE saying thay want to have this, its why the USD and EURO are in sync as well

DuroNL
05-01-2014, 12:21 PM
It actually works on just about everyone to some degree. JCPenny tried pricing everything in whole dollars once and almost went bankrupt.

Its true, they don't just do it with pennies, but also in tens, hundreds and thousands :P

Games for 59
TV for 799
Sofas for 1799

and so on :P, its a working system because a large group of the worlds population is sensitive to these kind of mind tricks... hmmmm Mind control

primer
05-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Though there seems to be Amazon Gift cards option, I've not look into this, but perhaps that is a way to get Plat at a normal price?

They should of course try and get the GBP in sync with, USD and EURO, but i can understand they can't get every coin in the world in at the start of closed beta, i mean Scandinavian lands also don't use EURO but their own currency... i guess it will take some time to get everything in sync. but i do remember CZE saying thay want to have this, its why the USD and EURO are in sync as well

For amazon you can't use .co.UK to buy euro gift cards so you'd have to use a euro site extension (.es or .de) then pay with a credit card and use your credit cards exchange rate and charges. Still cheaper than paying Pounds with gameforge

primer
05-06-2014, 03:26 PM
To confirm. Today I bought 1400 plat (€10) using the proxy to test it worked. I gained 40 plat more than I would of paying in Pounds even with PayPal's exchange rate. So buying €100 (85 with PayPal's rate) worth of plat would gain you 400 plat (2 packs) over using Pounds.

Bloodroot
05-06-2014, 05:49 PM
The $X.99 thing annoys me, because if you don't discount prices for volume and just knock of a penny for cosmetic purposes, then:

500 widgets = $4.99
1000 widgets = $9.99
500 widgets x 2 = $9.98

So it encourages you to buy the smallest unit repeatedly. Yes, I know, it's only a slight difference and, yes, my time is worth enough that saving a few pennies by spending extra time on something is usually a bad deal. But on the back end, someone's presumably spending more money to process payments if I buy in multiple transactions. I wouldn't mind less money coming out of my pocket, but I would prefer more of it get into Cryptozoic's pockets so they can keep paying their systems engineers. Solidarity! And the game designers and artists and so on too, I guess.

Bells
05-06-2014, 07:51 PM
for me i would just prefer of them to cut the BS and round the numbers up already. Have a penny on me, it's cool guys. No probs...

LookAtMyHooves
05-07-2014, 05:40 AM
I really hope this gets sorted and we don't have to keep using workarounds just to get a fairer price.