PDA

View Full Version : A real Patch this week ?

cehu
05-01-2014, 07:36 AM
any real patch coming out this week ? with patch notes and stuff ? :)

bojanglesz
05-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Dunno yet

cathead
05-01-2014, 08:08 AM
I doubt it. With all the problems they've been having with tournaments they've probably mostly been focused on that.

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 08:26 AM
I doubt it. With all the problems they've been having with tournaments they've probably mostly been focused on that.

I think (know) that "all the problems ... with tournaments" is a bit of a mischaracterization. Yes, they've been unavailable for a while, but that doesn't mean that there are multiple issues. I was very relieved to hear what the issue actually was (I know, I'm cruel... ;)) - it's just really not that big a deal in the scheme of things.

I would bet money on not seeing a big patch this week. That doesn't mean that there's been no more progress, I just think they'd probably want to get tournaments available again and running for a few days before changing the software again.

Xenavire
05-01-2014, 08:30 AM
I think (know) that "all the problems with tournaments" is a bit of a mischaracterization. Yes, they've been unavailable for a while, but that doesn't mean that there are multiple issues. I was very relieved to hear what the issue actually was (I know, I'm cruel... ;)) - it's just really not that big a deal in the scheme of things.

I would bet money on not seeing a big patch this week. That doesn't mean that there's been no more progress, I just think they'd probably want to get tournaments available again and running for a few days before changing the software again.

Thats what I had been suspecting actually - after all the complaints about drafts failing, I bet they want to make sure that particular issue was done and dead before they moved forward - and I am sure using the time to make sure tournaments are bullet proof is a large portion of the delay. (Speculation ftw!)

Sad if theres no patch this week, but if it would potentially interfere with tournaments, I can see no reason to push one out this week.

Lawlschool
I was very relieved to hear what the issue actually was (I know, I'm cruel... ;)) - it's just really not that big a deal in the scheme of things.

I'll bet it was server goblins trying to steal our tourney gold.

bojanglesz
I think (know) that "all the problems ... with tournaments" is a bit of a mischaracterization. Yes, they've been unavailable for a while, but that doesn't mean that there are multiple issues. I was very relieved to hear what the issue actually was (I know, I'm cruel... ;)) - it's just really not that big a deal in the scheme of things.

You think we'll get a post mortem type of article once they've fixed it? I'd be really curious about the technical details of what happened (ie, what the issue was)

MasterN64
05-01-2014, 08:34 AM
You think we'll get a post mortem type of article once they've fixed it? I'd be really curious about the technical details of what happened (ie, what the issue was)

I believe HexRex or cory said something in the client chat about having a post from the lead dev about the issue when its all solved and he catches up on lost sleep. I cant remember specifics on who said it or exactly what was said but i remember it mentioned.

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 08:36 AM

I think that's unlikely (in any sort of detail anyway). I don't see that as any sort of issue though. CZE (and Cory especially) have been pretty transparent with all of us, but I don't think we can expect to hear about everything (just most things :))that happens behind the scenes. There are some thing that will happen in the process that will remain a mystery.

cathead
05-01-2014, 08:36 AM

Oh sorry, poor choice of words there. I didn't really intend to insinuate that there were multiple issues, just that because they've had to put a lot of time this week into making sure tournaments are going to work when they bring them back up, it probably meant they didn't have a lot of time for getting anything else ready for release.

It's good to get some indication that it wasn't anything too serious though, even if you can't tell us!

Zomnivore
05-01-2014, 08:45 AM
I'll bet it was server goblins trying to steal our tourney gold.

Who knew that Imp Hoodlums could break the 4th wall, and mess with tournaments :)

Kategora
05-01-2014, 08:46 AM
I think (know) that "all the problems ... with tournaments" is a bit of a mischaracterization. Yes, they've been unavailable for a while, but that doesn't mean that there are multiple issues. I was very relieved to hear what the issue actually was (I know, I'm cruel... ;)) - it's just really not that big a deal in the scheme of things

Sorry, what an understatement. Since one week tournaments do not work! And still no news when it works again.
It is certainly anything but a small problem.

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Sorry, what an understatement. Since one week tournaments do not work! And still no news when it works again.
It is certainly anything but a small problem.

My comments were in reference to WHY tournaments are unavailable (i.e. the root cause at a technology level). I made no value judgement on them being down for a week - it's Closed Beta, I don't think it's that big a problem, but I'd definitely much prefer to be drafting. Trust me, CZE would much prefer that we were all drafting too! :)

Guap
05-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Tournaments being down for a week is a HUGE problem. *shakes violently* *grabs a new towel to chew*

Kategora
05-01-2014, 09:10 AM
but I'd definitely much prefer to be drafting.

I agree with you, have some spare time now. Patience is a virtue, I know:rolleyes:

nicosharp
05-01-2014, 09:27 AM
My comments were in reference to WHY tournaments are unavailable (i.e. the root cause at a technology level). I made no value judgement on them being down for a week - it's Closed Beta, I don't think it's that big a problem, but I'd definitely much prefer to be drafting. Trust me, CZE would much prefer that we were all drafting too! :)

Just let me know when to buy stock. You have too much insider info.

Mahes
05-01-2014, 10:42 AM

no tournaments...?
but I must have them
where have they gone..? I needs them badly.

I was honestly hoping at least by the weekend, but I have the feeling that they might be up next week. It is a shame as this does postpone content patching and thus adds to the delay time. Hopefully we get back on the track next week at least.

Poetic
05-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Wish there was something else to do besides proving grounds. Kind of stuck waiting now.

Guap
05-01-2014, 12:46 PM
There was a tweet "@HexTCG: We're continuing to work on the game and fix some bugs that came with new hardware. We'll have a more robust update, explanation on Friday." Looking forward to the explanation Friday.

Guap
05-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Wish there was something else to do besides proving grounds. Kind of stuck waiting now.
I think that is most people's position at the moment. I don't even bother logging in anymore. Just waiting to hear tournaments are back up. It is frustrating and disappointing but not much you can do at this point but wait and hope.

Saeijou
05-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Marc Steinnebel ‏@SkydiveYT 47m
@HexTCG is there still a chance that tourneys will come up tomorrow or at the weekend in general?

HexTCG ‏@HexTCG 42m
@SkydiveYT that's something i'll be able to answer more accurately tomorrow morning

sounds good ;)

Yoss
05-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Just let me know when to buy stock. You have too much insider info.

Is CZE publicly traded? (Or maybe you were just joking.)

nicosharp
05-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Is CZE publicly traded? (Or maybe you were just joking.)

I was joking. Not sure, but I am sure soon after retail launch it is a possibility.

Idus
05-01-2014, 01:11 PM
I was very relieved to hear what the issue actually was (I know, I'm cruel... ;)) - it's just really not that big a deal in the scheme of things.

I bet Chris Woods fell asleep from exhaustion while adding RAM to the server, and spilt his coffee all over it, so they're waiting for replacement hardware to arrive :)

ossuary
05-01-2014, 01:13 PM
I bet Kyle couldn't keep the bear under control, and it ate all the cables and mauled 2 apprentices. The tournament delay is necessary while the lawyers work out the compensation packages.

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 01:14 PM
I bet Chris Woods fell asleep from exhaustion while adding RAM to the server, and spilt his coffee all over it, so they're waiting for replacement hardware to arrive :)

LOL. :)

Let's just say there are lots of sofas, cushions, and blankets around the CZE office - and they seem to get a lot of use. :)

ryuukan
05-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Tomorrow's robust explanation will be the same as today's but with a piece of Set 2 art

get hype

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Tomorrow's robust explanation will be the same as today's but with a piece of Set 2 art

get hype

Or it might be that tournaments are back up... The glass is half full!

Poetic
05-01-2014, 01:29 PM
That inside info hype!

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 01:34 PM
That inside info hype!

To be clear - I don't have any actual information about the timing of draft. I specifically didn't ask. I wouldn't want to let a date slip and then have CZE miss it. I was just pushing optimism... :)

bojanglesz
05-01-2014, 01:38 PM

get hype

But will it be better than yesterday's robust explanation?

Or as busty as Kismet?

GatticusFinch
05-01-2014, 01:40 PM

get hype

But it will be a more accurate statement of "no ETA." In fact, with every day that passes, it gets more accurate.

Poetic
05-01-2014, 01:48 PM
To be clear - I don't have any actual information about the timing of draft. I specifically didn't ask. I wouldn't want to let a date slip and then have CZE miss it. I was just pushing optimism... :)

Haha wasn't being serious anyway.

Saeijou
05-01-2014, 01:50 PM
anticipation rises and rises :D

ryuukan
05-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Or it might be that tournaments are back up... The glass is half full!

Too late I drank the glass

It tasted like an announcement of an announcement

Shadowspawn
05-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Why can they only do one thing at a time? Surely the bug fixers are separate from the server fixers.....? Tired of all the coddling against a backdrop of terrible communication in a sensitive time period .

GatticusFinch
05-01-2014, 02:44 PM
I think the server fixers also have to deal with Gameforge who are actually running the servers, and they are based out of Germany, so what I am really getting at is I have absolutely no idea what is going on.

ossuary
05-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. I say, "Who stole half my milk?"

Saeijou
05-01-2014, 03:13 PM
you should say "yeah, space for wodka!!!" :P

Xenavire
05-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. I say, "Who stole half my milk?"

So what the [expletive deleted] does a realist think? Cause I frankly don't give a shit about the glass, I'm thirsty!

ryuukan
05-01-2014, 03:57 PM
need to raredraft so bad, already put in a ticket to change my keep name to "Bye"

#thirstisreal

Cotton
05-01-2014, 04:10 PM
need to raredraft so bad, already put in a ticket to change my keep name to "Bye"

#thirstisreal

Just pm me on Gaf when your about to draft. Kthanks

Poetic
05-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Hope I can get in some drafts with raredrafters, take those pacts of life and pass me those beautiful Murders, Buccaneers, and Repels.

nicosharp
05-01-2014, 04:20 PM

#thirstisreal
Lol. nice. But then when I get a Bye.. Its gonna say Bye Bye! And I am gonna freak out like someone is coming to take me out, or I was kicked outta draft.

PS - I am hopeful that tourneys will be up tomorrow. But its just hope.

GatticusFinch
05-01-2014, 04:25 PM

get hype

Tonight's update was certainly robust--"We're continuing to work on server stability and providing tournaments for players. We did some backend work last night that should resolve some issues players were seeing in games."

Shit broke, but we doin thangs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/Big_Bear_'Doin_Thangs'_Album_Cover.jpg

nicosharp
05-01-2014, 04:32 PM
I love dat sig. FRESH STRAWBERRIES!

Guap
05-01-2014, 04:58 PM
"Backend work". Oooooooh yeahhh

frychikn
05-01-2014, 06:34 PM
well at least tomorrow morning they are gonna tell us how tournaments wont be up til next week!

bojanglesz
05-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Tonight's update was certainly robust--"We're continuing to work on server stability and providing tournaments for players. We did some backend work last night that should resolve some issues players were seeing in games."

Shit broke, but we doin thangs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/Big_Bear_'Doin_Thangs'_Album_Cover.jpg

Holy shit, can this be the go-to image for Shaq when he posts "Just working on stuff" updates?

ThrawnOmega
05-01-2014, 07:25 PM
holy shit, can this be the go-to image for shaq when he posts "just working on stuff" updates?

seconded

elfstone
05-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Holy shit, can this be the go-to image for Shaq when he posts "Just working on stuff" updates?

seconded

Motion carried :p

dwebber88
05-02-2014, 09:51 AM
I think its sad that we have to read threads like these now to get insider info from producers, while we have been asking for "ANY information at all", and all we get (mostly) is no ETA.

Would have rather seen a 5% delay on everything in the construction of the game, in return for decent feedback on forums, twitter, website, kickstarter, livestreams or whatever.

I'll admit, in the past week i've seen some CZE in the gamechat and some more on the forums than we were used to. But still...

bojanglesz
05-02-2014, 09:57 AM
r
I think its sad that we have to read threads like these now to get insider info from producers, while we have been asking for "ANY information at all", and all we get (mostly) is no ETA.

Would have rather seen a 5% delay on everything in the construction of the game, in return for decent feedback on forums, twitter, website, kickstarter, livestreams or whatever.

I'll admit, in the past week i've seen some CZE in the gamechat and some more on the forums than we were used to. But still...

Why do you want the game to fail?

dwebber88
05-02-2014, 10:02 AM
r

Why do you want the game to fail?

Eh?

Niedar
05-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Its a reference to something hex_colin said, accusing people of wanting the game to fail if they do certain things.

IndigoShade
05-02-2014, 10:09 AM

Yeah, I can relate to where you're coming from here. Wiping everyone's 4-of every card and then having tournaments broken after handing out the KS rewards is kind of a big deal. Rather than cracking packs I intend to just draft for awhile, so I haven't even played the game once since beta started.

That said, they have posted regular updates here and on twitter indicating that they're still working on it. There isn't really much more to say short of divulging the nitty gritty details of precisely what the hold up is. That wouldn't really change anything though, and would likely go over most people's heads anyway. So really all we can do is wait, and f5 their twitter page frequently :p (that sounds so dirty!)

cavench
05-02-2014, 10:12 AM
CZE isn't in the position to say this so I'll say it for them.

"Is it ready yet?"
5 minutes later...
"Is it ready yet?"
5 minutes later...
"Is it ready yet?"
5 minutes later...
"Is it ready yet?"

"Get off me and let me work!!"

Did you ever have a boss that watches your every move and expect a report of what you have done in the past hour, every hour? Let's not be that boss and just trust them. (Who knows, maybe Cory is that type of boss, and if so then let's not make it worse! ;))

Kami
05-02-2014, 10:18 AM
CZE isn't in the position to say this so I'll say it for them.

"Is it ready yet?"
5 minutes later...
"Is it ready yet?"
5 minutes later...
"Is it ready yet?"
5 minutes later...
"Is it ready yet?"

"Get off me and let me work!!"

Did you ever have a boss that watches your every move and expect a report of what you have done in the past hour, every hour? Let's not be that boss and just trust them. (Who knows, maybe Cory is that type of boss, and if so then let's not make it worse! ;))

This seems relevant:

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/aM1y946_700b.jpg

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Its a reference to something hex_colin said, accusing people of wanting the game to fail if they do certain things.

This is a much more concise summary of my actual position than I'd probably write...

Colin never actually said that negative sentiment on the forums is equivalent to wanting the game to fail. What Colin said is that wording that negative sentiment poorly and/or capriciously is equivalent to wanting the game to fail. If you have negative sentiments about the game it can only help the devs to post them, but do so in a constructive way and not an emotional/vindictive way.

It is important to keep in mind that people who have never seen Hex before will be reading these forums. These people do need to be aware of the current pitfalls in Hex, but they also need to know what is being done about them and what is currently working.

TL DR: negativity is indeed bad for the game unless worded in a constructive manor.

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 11:43 AM
This is a much more concise summary of my actual position than I'd probably write...

Here is what you actually said:

Bottom line - anyone who makes this sort of post is on the side of the people wanting the game to fail (intentionally or unintentionally, no matter how you couch the language to try to soften the blow). Because, whilst some of it may be true, all you're doing is negatively coloring the opinion of anyone who's reading these forums for the first time and/or infrequently. That's not to say people shouldn't point out issues (I certainly have), but there's a way to do it that isn't a complete assassination attempt. People have so many avenues to contact Cory and the team about issues that constantly rehashing them on the forums is not particularly productive. And, yes, I and others will spend a great deal of time refuting the most egregious claims every time because there needs to be a balance.

Frankly, we could do with even more of the "hey, welcome to the game, I know things aren't perfect yet, but the game really is a lot of fun" attitude.

If you actually care about the game succeeding you should be actively convincing people that it's worthwhile sticking around.

So, on the one hand, you say there is no possible way to "soften the blow" of the complaints, such that everyone complaining wants the game to fail, and then try to claim that people can still point out problems, but only if they do it through back channels and not on the forums in case anyone else should see them.

What you were asking for was radio silence or sweeping under the rug, choose your own idiom.

Jugan
05-02-2014, 11:50 AM

So, on the one hand, you say there is no possible way to "soften the blow" of the complaints, such that everyone complaining wants the game to fail, and then try to claim that people can still point out problems, but only if they do it through back channels and not on the forums in case anyone else should see them.

What you were asking for was radio silence or sweeping under the rug, choose your own idiom.

I agree. And just because we believe in a cause doesn't mean we should be blindly supportive, especially for other people trying to make an informed decision. It's important for all of us to hold those in charge accountable and to a standard; both for the good of the game and for everyone involved. We have a duty to present the facts, not sugarcoat it for new people. Look at Starphoenix going nuts about his $8000 plat. I'm sure there's another side to this story, but the fact remains that gameforge/sponsorpay is definitely not fulfilling at least part of their bargain. We should hold them and CZE accountable for this because this is part of the service they are advertising and CZE chose to get in bed with these two. Acting like everything is "okay" that people are able to be scammed by this shady service is disingenuous and ignores the problem at hand.

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 12:07 PM

Not worth arguing with you about this. The totality of what I said is spread across multiple posts. Also, highlighting very specific sections and trying to use those to prove your point is disingenuous. For example, you accuse me of asking people to sweep problems under the rug, but what my post actually says is "constantly rehashing them on the forums is not particularly productive" (and notably you didn't bold constantly). So, I'm all for pointing out issues, even on the forums, but in a fair and balanced way, but not over and over again which is actually what's been happening recently. Just posting "Pack opening doesn't work. CZE sucks!" multiple times without any other context is the sort of thing I was arguing against.

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Not worth arguing with you about this. The totality of what I said is spread across multiple posts. Also, highlighting very specific sections and trying to use those to prove your point is disingenuous. For example, you accuse me of asking people to sweep problems under the rug, but what my post actually says is "constantly rehashing them on the forums is not particularly productive" (and notably you didn't bold constantly). So, I'm all for pointing out issues, even on the forums, but in a fair and balanced way, but not over and over again which is actually what's been happening recently. Just posting "Pack opening doesn't work. CZE sucks!" multiple times without any other context is the sort of thing I was arguing against.

Your initial statement was that anyone posting complaints wants the game to fail, no matter how they word it. You've been backtracking from that since then. It's ok to admit you never should have said that.

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Your initial statement was that anyone posting complaints wants the game to fail, no matter how they word it. You've been backtracking from that since then. It's ok to admit you never should have said that.

Again, you can't pick and choose your soundbite. You have to look at the totality of the message/messages. I said it, I stand by it. You might not like it, and you obviously don't agree with it. That's fine. I should have chosen another post to make my point on - I admitted that and apologized for it. It's not like there aren't hundreds of options out there.

Do you believe the generally negative way you communicate on these forums and portray the game is helping anything? Growing the community? Getting people interested in HEX? It's not like you're telling any of us or CZE anything we/they don't already know.

Rendakor
05-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Can you two get a room? I keep f5ing this to see if we're getting a patch but all the bumps are this silly he said she said slapfight.

bojanglesz
05-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Can you two get a room? I keep f5ing this to see if we're getting a patch but all the bumps are this silly he said she said slapfight.

The sexual tension is too much.

Kami
05-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Agreed. Take it to PM or drop it.

nicosharp
05-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Yes, really hoping for an update soon, that says "DRAFT AVAILABLE NOW!"
But I feel like I just bought her an expensive dinner and she left with another man.

mightygerm
05-02-2014, 12:31 PM
I doubt it, if they had an ETA on tournaments being up today I think they would be excited to tell us about it.
I'm guessing today's KS update is going to be an explanation of why they are down with a continued no ETA.

Makizushi
05-02-2014, 12:43 PM
I believe HexRex or cory said something in the client chat about having a post from the lead dev about the issue when its all solved and he catches up on lost sleep. I cant remember specifics on who said it or exactly what was said but i remember it mentioned.

That was Rex who said it, yeah.

It's nice to start seeing people from the chat and recognizing them on the forums... :)

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 12:55 PM
[SNIP]

Hex has been way over-promised and way under-delivered to this point. They already used up all the free passes I had given them. It has been an entire year since "we only need some money to polish the game" and "launch in November." One year later, and we have part of half the game, which works sometimes. My credibility is worth more to me than sugarcoating all these problems and playing the "soon" card to mislead people on the state of the game.

I'm not Hex's community manager (seems no one is, actually). I'm here to keep dogging them to get the product I paid for completed. If I'm not telling them anything they don't already know, they can feel free to come out and admit they fucked up royally on rushing into monetized beta, explain why they thought they could do that without a pre-wipe, and I won't say anything more on the subject.

nicosharp
05-02-2014, 01:04 PM
In some ways I agree with you Gatticus.
It was too early to monetize beta.

The only reason I agree is because they are creating a discomfort among backers to utilize their packs in ways they did not originally intend to. This is primarily due to the oversight of tournaments not being fully functional. They are also incentivizing players to join tournaments (which will eventually cost money) by offering gold.

We have to literally sit on our hands in order to not make compulsive mistakes with our accounts. I have some self-control, but you are dangling the carrot, but making me eat the stick to get to it.

Yes the tournament functionality going belly up was unforeseen, but it is causing larger problems than it should because everything has value now, and they are taking our money.

Yoss
05-02-2014, 01:13 PM
I hate to say "I told you so" but...

NON-MONETIZED BETA
Simulated PVP Economy* including: (link (http://coryhudsonjones.tumblr.com/post/76449580127/blog-post-number-2))

Platinum (v828)
Store (v828)
Pack-opening (v828)
Gold as drops from PvP (link)
Slot Machine for Chests (link)
Tournament Reward Packs (v830)
Auction House (eBay style)
Tournament/AH Fees

* This patch will indicate the start of Beta. For the simulated economy, I'm thinking they take away our 4-of-everything and instead give us a certain amount of free Platinum per day (even if you don't log in). Thus while it's free, it will still give simulated value to the cards you buy/win since there's a limited (but growing) supply. You can thus test collection-management, Auction House, and restricted-budget Constructed. Note that this collection would still be wiped out when monetized beta comes along; you wouldn't own it.

nicosharp
05-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Never read that, and I don't particularly agree with that version of beta. To the point what is happening now kinda sucks. I am going to become disinterested again, very quickly. Which is not good for the game, community, etc.

I do love the gameplay, just can't play what I've intended to.

Poetic
05-02-2014, 01:27 PM
I do have a short attention span myself and lose interest fast. That's what worries me, proving grounds does nothing for me. Another week of no tournaments would be rough.

Xenavire
05-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Is there value in misleading people into believing the game is something other than what it is?

I would like to point out that while things are currently looking a little grim, they have been fairly good previously, and are going to be a lot better in the future - correctly representing all those points fairly should be the goal here, not just focusing on one point, otherwise people will get the wrong impression.

However, I don't think anyone has accurately conveyed all the points correctly yet (not even myself.)

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Who is the "I told you so" directed at? That is the exact part they skipped we are talking about.

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 01:36 PM
I would like to point out that while things are currently looking a little grim,

Yes.

they have been fairly good previously,

Depends on what you mean by fairly, but ok.

and are going to be a lot better in the future.

This is the worrying one, and the one that people keep raging at me for not buying into. I keep seeing these posts that it will have this and have that, and I bought into all of that stuff almost a year ago, but I just can't do it anymore. I hope they prove me wrong, but there have been too many missteps that appear obvious to me, and that CZE should have seen as well, for me to not question my faith.

nicosharp
05-02-2014, 01:45 PM
I hope they prove me wrong, but there have been too many missteps that appear obvious to me, and that CZE should have seen as well, for me to not question my faith.

I know you have a lot of posts that explain your frustrations, but if you could summarize what you are worried about outside of programming issues, early monetization being poorly implemented and deliverable time-tables what is your beef?

If you don't like the gameplay, or the games intended design direction, why did you back? They were pretty crystal clear on those intentions.

We do need to continuously remind ourselves that these dudes are not running a blockbuster PC/Tablet game company. They are trying to become one. Sheesh... you should have seen League of Legends in Beta...

bojanglesz
05-02-2014, 01:49 PM
I know you have a lot of posts that explain your frustrations, but if you could summarize what you are worried about outside of programming issues, early monetization being poorly implemented and deliverable time-tables what is your beef?

If you don't like the gameplay, or the games intended design direction, why did you back? They were pretty crystal clear on those intentions.

We do need to continuously remind ourselves that these dudes are not running a blockbuster PC/Tablet game company. They are trying to become one. Sheesh... you should have seen League of Legends in Beta...

Hell, look at League today

nicosharp
05-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Hell, look at League today
Touche

dwebber88
05-02-2014, 01:58 PM
https://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray/
(https://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray/)
Edit: better link to the tweet, since the link itself aint working ^^: https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/462335265110253569

Yoss
05-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Who is the "I told you so" directed at? That is the exact part they skipped we are talking about.

At the ones who chose not to do it, of course.

Yoss
05-02-2014, 02:01 PM
https://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray/
(https://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray/)
Edit: better link to the tweet, since the link itself aint working ^^: https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/462335265110253569

Nice update. Sad weekend.

ryuukan
05-02-2014, 02:02 PM
rip

nicosharp
05-02-2014, 02:03 PM
rip

^

Kami
05-02-2014, 02:03 PM
The link is broken just because of a single backslash apparently: https://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray/ - that should work.

Heh, nevermind, someone already fixed it in a post above. :)

Poetic
05-02-2014, 02:04 PM
:(

Rendakor
05-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Nothing til Monday/Tuesday. Damn.

mach
05-02-2014, 02:05 PM

The interesting thing is that there wasn't much discussion about that point. We pretty much assumed it was obvious that that phase would happen. Sure, there was disagreement about the details (what exactly would be in it rather than the previous or next stage and how long it would last). But there was a consensus that it would obviously happen, which is why their decision to skip it is so surprising.

bojanglesz
05-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Kill me

frychikn
05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
" no eta"

Poetic
05-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Should've seen it coming when they increased the draft tickets 3 weeks honestly heh

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 02:15 PM
" no eta"

There is an ETA for when they will tell us more about if there is no ETA, though. That's...something?

cavench
05-02-2014, 02:16 PM
At least my family will be happy of this news.

Yoss
05-02-2014, 02:20 PM
at least my family will be happy of this news.

qft

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 02:21 PM
So, we’ve identified the bug. At the same time, we want to continue testing and looking into everything as sometimes one bug can mask the errors caused by a deeper bug.

bojanglesz
05-02-2014, 02:24 PM

You owe me a new keyboard

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Well, the road map is seriously fucked now: https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/462352461307445248

Guap
05-02-2014, 03:29 PM
It's bullshit that they have to wait till Monday to do this hardware crap, they should've done it days ago why do they have to wait till Monday? Why on earth is it t in this long? Gonna take them 2 weeks? wtf really? Sorry but that's a crap explanation, guess I just have to completely write the game off and find something else to entertain myself. It just comes off looking like they really don't give 2 shits. Why wait? Really unless you just don't give a shit.

Xenavire
05-02-2014, 03:42 PM
It's bullshit that they have to wait till Monday to do this hardware crap, they should've done it days ago why do they have to wait till Monday? Why on earth is it t in this long? Gonna take them 2 weeks? wtf really? Sorry but that's a crap explanation, guess I just have to completely write the game off and find something else to entertain myself. It just comes off looking like they really don't give 2 shits. Why wait? Really unless you just don't give a shit.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that there are issues that they need Gameforge to work with them on - going by the hours, and the date, 8am GMT would be approx 10am in Germany if my math is good. So it may just be something they cannot do, because their partner does not go into the office on weekends.

And it might not have been possible earlier, though I can't come up with a solid reason why off the top of my head...

But yeah, this should have been dealt with before the weekend if possible. I guess it just wasn't possible, or it would have been done. *shrug*. I said I would be pretty upset if nothing was done by Monday, but I am not as mad as I expected - I know from experience how bad memory leak can be, so I am letting this case slide a little. Still, May 10th and a hat - I hope they hurry up and get things done.

Guap
05-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Sorry I'm just pissed. I don't understand how you launch a beta, monetize it and then take your main mode of play down for 2 weeks. Just seems like the game is in really, really, bad, bumbling, terribly inept hands. It makes me sad and angry and it's going to chase a lot of people away from the game. *sigh*

mudkip
05-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Sorry I'm just pissed. I don't understand how you launch a beta, monetize it and then take your main mode of play down for 2 weeks. Just seems like the game is in really, really, bad, bumbling, terribly inept hands. It makes me sad and angry and it's going to chase a lot of people away from the game. *sigh*

I agree, I don't understand why they didn't do a soft beta launch on the new hardware.

Marsden
05-02-2014, 04:16 PM
I think there would have been just as much complaining if we still had our Alpha cards or some fake Plat and tournaments were down after the move to Beta.

chili
05-02-2014, 04:17 PM
I think there would have been just as much complaining if we still had our Alpha cards or some fake Plat and tournaments were down after the move to Beta.

Would have been smarter to move and test the hardware first in a non monetized beta and release the monetized beta with the auction house. The game just feels castrated

Dichdude
05-02-2014, 04:25 PM
I agree, I don't understand why they didn't do a soft beta launch on the new hardware.

TBH, the reason why stages have been skipped is due to CZE needing to get some money coming in; Handing out KS rewards and monetizing as soon as going into Beta , Open Beta within a few weeks and Set 2 coming out within 3 months of Closed Beta.

When you start looking at the decisions CZE have been making in this way it all makes sense. After all, the monetization side of HEX is being handled back end by Gameforge who have been running a payment system for many games for many years so needed very little testing compared to the parts of the game managed by CZE.

To be clear I am not berating this, just pointing out the realities of running a company with a product behind schedule (I know KS backers can wait but any loans from banks or investors would need to see some revenue coming, they are not as understanding as the rest of us). Just a fact of life I am afraid.

Lawlschool
05-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Hindsight's 20/20. Knowing all the complications now it's pretty easy to say "what they should have done was...."

The one silver lining in all this is that CZE has obviously made a pretty spectacular game if everyone's getting so upset about not being able to play it. Better than the other way around, with everyone being able to play a game that sucks. Give it a few weeks and we'll all be too strung out on drafts to remember these "Dark Times."

Dichdude
05-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Hindsight's 20/20. Knowing all the complications now it's pretty easy to say "what they should have done was...."

But the tournaments are crashing every 6 to 8 hours due to a middleware not a load issue. Does that mean that less than 8 hours testing was done before they went live? Thats not even close to hindsight territory IMO.

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 05:04 PM
What kind of hat do you want to eat Xen? Are you thinking some lighter fare like a beret, or maybe a full meal sombrero?

Gulbech
05-02-2014, 05:30 PM
It is insane with all those negative people, just leave and then maybe come back in 3 months or when they launch the game too see if you want to play or not.
I begin to wonder if CZE biggest mistake was to ever give access to alpha and closed beta.

Xenavire
05-02-2014, 05:32 PM
What kind of hat do you want to eat Xen? Are you thinking some lighter fare like a beret, or maybe a full meal sombrero?

I was thinking something of the origami variety might be more palatable. :)

mudkip
05-02-2014, 05:34 PM

The thing is they've been so cautious until this point! Things like not giving dates and only giving the patch notes when the patch is being applied. CZE have been very smart so far.

Why would they throw everyone on an untested piece of hardware with real-money consequences to any issue?

Xenavire
05-02-2014, 05:38 PM
The thing is they've been so cautious until this point! Things like not giving dates and only giving the patch notes when the patch is being applied. CZE have been very smart so far.

Why would they throw everyone on an untested piece of hardware with real-money consequences to any issue?

It is entirely possible that they thought it was bulletproof and made an oversight - I mean it isn't unreasonable to imagine that they didn't try the servers for more than 6 hours at a time, even when load testing them. Or there might have been a trigger that set off the memory leak that didn't initially happen in testing.

I am annoyed, but I am not unreasonable - I am not going to blame them for something without knowing the exact details, especially when it is entirely possible for a mistake like that to be completely innocent.

Rendakor
05-02-2014, 05:44 PM

No amount of testing will find every software problem. The wait is shitty and I'm disappointed that I won't get to draft this weekend, but I don't see much point in crying over spilled milk.

chili
05-02-2014, 06:30 PM
So what's the over under in that the expiration date of the draft things will have to be extended

Mahes
05-02-2014, 07:03 PM
I(Or somebody else will before then) will make a new post concerning the latest ticket expiration dates if they have not been extended by Monday on Monday. they are busy obviously, so they might not be able to get to it until Monday. Given the announcement I kind of thought this(The Three Week Expiration) would just be a thing until they had tournaments ironed out. I guess this will be a week by week event.

Shadowspawn
05-02-2014, 07:29 PM
the lack of any substantitive apology is starting to get old. the least they could do is allow gold to be earned on single matches as an interim solution.

dogmod
05-02-2014, 07:31 PM
the lack of any substantitive apology is starting to get old. the least they could do is allow gold to be earned on single matches as an interim solution.

"The least they could do would be to add a new game mechanic that gives me something I want while fixing a broken game mechanic"

Shadowspawn
05-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Not sure if serious, but it isn't a mechanic that is broken, it is the network architecture. Wildly different complication levels.

Rendakor
05-02-2014, 07:45 PM
This is a beta, it's not going to be perfect. I'm not happy with the delays, but I don't want them to ruin the economy by giving away free gold just because you're upset.

Shadowspawn
05-02-2014, 07:48 PM
They don't have to give away similar amounts (to tourneys). Right now there is almost no incentive to play (no stats, no double backs, no tourneys). At one point I had a guild of 22 interested KS backers. Now I can't even get their attention because of all the delays in the game. This must be happening on a wider scale.

Poetic
05-02-2014, 08:07 PM
People have short memories, if they can get tournaments up and running smoothly. People will be happy and forget about the lost week plus.

If they go up for like 5 hours and something goes wrong leading to another big delay. That'd be bad.

Rendakor
05-02-2014, 08:20 PM
They don't have to give away similar amounts (to tourneys). Right now there is almost no incentive to play (no stats, no double backs, no tourneys). At one point I had a guild of 22 interested KS backers. Now I can't even get their attention because of all the delays in the game. This must be happening on a wider scale.
They can't be that interested if a few weeks delay has soured them.

bojanglesz
05-02-2014, 08:49 PM

It's more like a sign of things to come. Or at least that fear is there

Arbiter
05-02-2014, 10:24 PM

I remember when Magic first hit the stores here. Playing for hours on end, meeting new people to play with, forming clubs. With years until tournaments or support or bonuses.

Truly sad that gamers feel the need to be rewarded for gaming nowadays.

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 10:29 PM
I remember when Magic first hit the stores here. Playing for hours on end, meeting new people to play with, forming clubs. With years until tournaments or support or bonuses.

Agreed! What happened to the fun in winning a random match, or testing a deck strategy against a friend? There doesn't always have to be a reward. Playing should be it's own reward.

Poetic
05-03-2014, 03:13 AM
I mean that was fun 16 years ago when I was new to tcgs and had no idea what I was doing. Competitive plays just gives you something casual doesn't.

Rendakor
05-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Playing randoms right now isn't much fun because some people have a ton of legendaries, while others are working with little more than starters and there isn't an easy way to distinguish between the two. Playing against friends is an exercise in frustration because you have to battle the scroll bar from hell to successfully challenge them.

nicosharp
05-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Playing randoms right now isn't much fun because some people have a ton of legendaries, while others are working with little more than starters and there isn't an easy way to distinguish between the two. Playing against friends is an exercise in frustration because you have to battle the scroll bar from hell to successfully challenge them.
It's not that bad now with hardly 20 people in the proving grounds.

hex_colin
05-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Playing against friends is an exercise in frustration because you have to battle the scroll bar from hell to successfully challenge them.

Didn't that get fixed in the mini-patch earlier this week?

Mahes
05-03-2014, 09:48 AM

Yes it was awesome. I could take my collection over and try to trade for cards that I needed to try these decks ideas I had........oh wait.

zadies
05-03-2014, 10:03 AM
On my client the scrolling bug is sort of fixed it bounces up then bounces back to where I had it, wouldn't say it is 100% fixed but it is much more usable.

Shadowspawn
05-03-2014, 09:18 PM

If you see what has happened since KS as a few weeks delay, then you are delusional. I am just as excited for this game as everyone else, but I am also a realist. Did anyone who signed up for this KS think we would still be in a bugged closed beta with no PVE and no way to trade cards at this date?

It isn't the "reward" in an of itself, it is it some recognition that things are vastly different than originally planned and providing some token gestures as an acknowledgement of such a meandering path.

dwebber88
05-04-2014, 07:21 AM
If you see what has happened since KS as a few weeks delay, then you are delusional. I am just as excited for this game as everyone else, but I am also a realist. Did anyone who signed up for this KS think we would still be in a bugged closed beta with no PVE and no way to trade cards at this date?

It isn't the "reward" in an of itself, it is it some recognition that things are vastly different than originally planned and providing some token gestures as an acknowledgement of such a meandering path.

While you make a good point. I think CZE has also reached a point where a lot of stuff is going to be implemented fairly soon. Maybe even steamroll some content out.

sukebe
05-04-2014, 10:07 PM
"It's more like a sign of things to come. Or at least that fear is there"

that fear should not be there for anyone who is familiar with how CZE has treated us so far. They are new to creating software but are definetly believers of "customer comes first". Those who are not familiar with CZE and have not been here for long should understand that betas (especially closed betas) will have issues, sometimes serious ones.

"I remember when Magic first hit the stores here. Playing for hours on end, meeting new people to play with, forming clubs. With years until tournaments or support or bonuses.

Truly sad that gamers feel the need to be rewarded for gaming nowadays."

I agree so very much with this. I was there when magic first started as well. I was there for the first tournaments (which in my area at least were Anti tournements where you risked loosing a random card in your deck every game). Good things take time. We have waited this long so a another week or two (while annoying/boring) should not be an issue.

I don't think there is a dead horse kicking picture that is epic enough to express how I feel about the forums at this point. Some of you have made it clear you believe they made a huge mistake with closed beta and monetizing. Many others have stated that they are fine with it and are happy to have it tested earlier rather than later. Many, many others likely do not care one way or another as they do not plan to spend any more money. The simple fact of the matter is that none of us on the outside really know why they did it and are all just speculating. I am at least am confident that CZE made this decision for a reason (or more likely, many reasons) and will not presume that I am psychic/a genius and know their reasoning.

No one is entirely please with this situation. We all want things to work right now, not later. This is a closed beta however whether it is monetized or not. No one expects you to be happy about this but please leave the poor horse alone and stop acting like you were betrayed. Part of a kickstarter is that it is an unknown. CZE made it clear they were not an experienced computer programming team. Anyone who expected to be playing at this point did not understand the enormity of the task at hand. Which is fine, I certainly do not blame you, after all CZE didnt see the amount of work that this would take either :-)