PDA

View Full Version : Any plans to allow proxy cards?

DirtFarmer
05-01-2014, 12:15 PM
A huge staple of being part of a team that practices for constructed events is using proxy cards, at least for the teams I've been a part of. Obviously everyone doesn't have enough of the cards to support multiple decks for play testing. I'm used to everyone having multiple versions of the meta decks so that we can test out different strats and different play styles.

Another factor is not everyone can afford all the rare cards needed to properly test before the big regional events. Sure most of us would decide on the deck we would play and get the cards before big events, but the way HEX is set up now we can't test cards we don't own.

I would like to see a way to use proxy cards for play testing. Obviously not allowed for anything other than casual play with friends. Is there any chance of this happening, has Crypt mentioned this at all?

azaleus
05-01-2014, 12:28 PM
I vaguely recall a concept of having test decks in-guild.

A guild member would need to actually have the desired cards, but you'd be able to store decks in the guild bank for other members to test with.

For example, I could create a deck. Then at any time, someone else could "check out" that deck and test against another guild member. I don't believe it would be usable in tournaments or dungeons.

DuroNL
05-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I vaguely recall a concept of having test decks in-guild.

A guild member would need to actually have the desired cards, but you'd be able to store decks in the guild bank for other members to test with.

For example, I could create a deck. Then at any time, someone else could "check out" that deck and test against another guild member. I don't believe it would be usable in tournaments or dungeons.

I also remember something about this, there was suposed to be a shared Guild Card collection, form which every member could take "copied" cards and build a deck but only to play in guild matches...

So i guess this is what you want, and this should be in the game, sooner or later, maybe during the launch of the Guild feature!

Yoss
05-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Proxy vs AI was suggested as a VIP perk.

Svenn
05-01-2014, 12:41 PM
I also remember something about this, there was suposed to be a shared Guild Card collection, form which every member could take "copied" cards and build a deck but only to play in guild matches...

So i guess this is what you want, and this should be in the game, sooner or later, maybe during the launch of the Guild feature!
I believe the feature mentioned was that you could share your deck with your guild and they could "check it out" to use it for a time. Only one person could have it checked out at a time I believe. Also, I don't think there was a way to share individual cards for deck building like this.

There will be a guild bank though where you can put up your extra cards for others though.

DirtFarmer
05-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Awesome, all of the above sounds great. At least CZE is thinking about it.

nicosharp
05-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Awesome, all of the above sounds great. At least CZE is thinking about it.

And we have a producer in our guild DirtFarmer. If you want to test something, I'm sure we could get him to build it early for you.

DuroNL
05-01-2014, 12:45 PM
I believe the feature mentioned was that you could share your deck with your guild and they could "check it out" to use it for a time. Only one person could have it checked out at a time I believe. Also, I don't think there was a way to share individual cards for deck building like this.

There will be a guild bank though where you can put up your extra cards for others though.

Hmm, i think that is it then, the Guild Bank, sounds about right :D

Saeijou
05-01-2014, 01:01 PM
it would be nice if you can borrow someone cards at the guild bank. like "i'm not here for the weekend, i lay all my cards in the guild bank, do what you want"
but there is a mechanism, that you get them back afterwards

hex_colin
05-01-2014, 01:32 PM
it would be nice if you can borrow someone cards at the guild bank. like "i'm not here for the weekend, i lay all my cards in the guild bank, do what you want"
but there is a mechanism, that you get them back afterwards

I like a riff on this idea. Namely, along with actual trading as an option, you have the option to "loan" cards to people. Then, at some point in time, you could choose which cards you needed to be returned and call in the "loan" automatically (by specific cards, by person, all cards, etc.) - the software could give you back ownership as soon as the cards were idle (i.e. not in a game, dungeon, raid, etc.).

From a tech perspective probably not too difficult - you'd just need the concept of a "card holder" vs. a "card owner".

Of course, there are all sorts of considerations about what that does to the economy, etc. Worth looking at though IMHO.

Yoss
05-01-2014, 01:49 PM
I know, we should let all players share with all players so that all players can act like they own all cards all the time. That way there's not need to trade. No AH needed! And no value retention whatsoever! Awesome!

Which is to say... be careful what you're doing to the economy with "lending" features. People need to have incentive for personal ownership of cards and items in order for those items to have value. I actually think the Guild Bank is a rather bad idea even though I'm sure I'll "benefit" from it since there's a Producer in my guild.

nicosharp
05-01-2014, 02:24 PM
I know, we should let all players share with all players so that all players can act like they own all cards all the time. That way there's not need to trade. No AH needed! And no value retention whatsoever! Awesome!

Which is to say... be careful what you're doing to the economy with "lending" features. People need to have incentive for personal ownership of cards and items in order for those items to have value. I actually think the Guild Bank is a rather bad idea even though I'm sure I'll "benefit" from it since there's a Producer in my guild.

I agree. However, the Guild Bank idea does enforce one important aspect. You do need to at least participate socially in-order to have access to what you want in this game. Also the test decks are probably only for limited settings, maybe pve only, who knows?

I don't see lending becoming a functionality of the game. Although I was a believer for it some time ago.

Poetic
05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm sure it'll be limited to casual stuff and you won't be able to queue up for a 8 man using these cards.

Barkam
05-01-2014, 02:34 PM
My memory tells me that the guild bank is for internal guild play only.

DirtFarmer
05-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Calm down chicken little. the sky isn't falling.

one would still have to own a card to play in a tourney, proxy cards wouldn't do anything other than let people casually test cards before spending money on the ones they want.

nicosharp
05-01-2014, 03:07 PM

one would still have to own a card to play in a tourney, proxy cards wouldn't do anything other than let people casually test cards before spending money on the ones they want.
You'll get to know Yoss. He is Type A personality. On the borderline OCD side of it.

Yoss
05-01-2014, 03:08 PM

I already supported the proxy idea, dude:

Also, the thing you quoted was very obviously overblown just to make a point.

Saeijou
05-01-2014, 03:17 PM

exactly... maybe only for proving ground and AI... to test decks ;)

Thraeg
05-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I've suggested the same thing. The ability to proxy cards for use in one-off AI games and test games vs. friends would be a really nice perk for VIP subscribers. It obviously wouldn't be legal for tournaments, ladders, or any structured PvE content.

Personally, I'm not likely to go running to the auction house to build every crazy deck idea that comes into my mind, but if I can try them out a bit beforehand, some of them will prove to be fun and playable, so I'll wind up buying more singles.

The only downside for CZE is if some people use that exclusively as a kitchen table for their friends to play nothing but proxy matches, and don't engage with the broader community and gameplay systems at all, but honestly, there are people that do that in every TCG, and $4 a month is more than anyone else makes off of that sort of player. Plus, the regular supply of boosters should help lure these people out into the rest of the game.

the_artic_one
05-01-2014, 03:33 PM

That would be a great "replacement" for goldfishing.