PDA

View Full Version : Foiled-card feeling

Sevein
05-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Now before you jump me, im not asking to get foiled cards. Its a cool thing irl but not that nice in a digital. At least not the way i have seen it in MTGO.

So what do i mean? I never played mycht MTGO. Only to prepare for Hex and learn drafting. One thing i did like a lot was the whole aspect of a card being able to be a foiled card. That created another aspect of rarity when cracking boosers but especially made it more fun i drafts. Basically it was nice to see a foiled whatever-card that u might want in your regular collection.

I would like the same feeling in hex when i draft. Maybe theres gonna be a possibility that we get AA-cards in regular boosters opened in drafts but i totally understand if those are for chest and i kinda like it that way. But something a little random that could show up once in a while in a draft-opened pack to make my think "oooh shinies" about a common card is kinda nice.

Anybody else miss that experience? Is there any words out on this or is it completely unessesary for most players?

hammer
05-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Now before you jump me, im not asking to get foiled cards. Its a cool thing irl but not that nice in a digital. At least not the way i have seen it in MTGO.

So what do i mean? I never played mycht MTGO. Only to prepare for Hex and learn drafting. One thing i did like a lot was the whole aspect of a card being able to be a foiled card. That created another aspect of rarity when cracking boosers but especially made it more fun i drafts. Basically it was nice to see a foiled whatever-card that u might want in your regular collection.

I would like the same feeling in hex when i draft. Maybe theres gonna be a possibility that we get AA-cards in regular boosters opened in drafts but i totally understand if those are for chest and i kinda like it that way. But something a little random that could show up once in a while in a draft-opened pack to make my think "oooh shinies" about a common card is kinda nice.

Anybody else miss that experience? Is there any words out on this or is it completely unessesary for most players?

A couple of points:

1) There will be foiled cards in Hex
2) Foiled cards are earned (by unlocking and completing achievements)
3) The wow opening experience will come from the exclusive content in the chests and from Wheels of fate

In summary I don't think draft or pack opening needs foils or exclusive content outside of the chests.

Sevein
05-02-2014, 01:12 AM
In summary I don't think draft or pack opening needs foils or exclusive content outside of the chests.

You are absolutely right. Its not needed at all. We have plenty. Just miss that little extra feeling in drafts :)

Edit: forgot a word

FranzVonG
05-02-2014, 01:17 AM
One of the (few) nice thing Hearthstone did, animated card. That could be a nice way to use the digital medium at its fullest

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 01:21 AM
One of the (few) nice thing Hearthstone did, animated card. That could be a nice way to use the digital medium at its fullest

Quickest way to get that in game? Spend money! :) The more money HEX makes, the bigger the art budget, the cooler the art...

Eierdotter
05-02-2014, 01:32 AM
I only saw foiled cards when i played M&M DoC and i did not like them, they were hard to read and the shiny aspect was just bad, like if you scan a RL foil card and print it...
A double back foil is perfectly fine, i would not like to have foiled cards in a draft just so the value drafters have more options.
we have primals and chests, thats much better.

Sevein
05-02-2014, 03:10 AM

If they would add animated they would have to be more rare than AA-cards thou. Or maybe that would be AA-for legendaries.

L1ght
05-02-2014, 04:48 AM

Few? Hearthstone have done alot of nice things. If you don't like the gameplay thats one thing but the client is polished to about 1000x better than anything in the card game industry at the moment.

Perfectblue
05-02-2014, 05:17 AM
There was a purple post just here recently that said a new foil effect is on the way, what we see now is a placeholder.

DuroNL
05-02-2014, 05:21 AM

Hmm, well its nice to have, but certainly not a must have...

I already love the Alternate art cards, i think that would be enough for me to keep me satisfied, although alternate art won't come out of boosters, but they can come from chests... so i rather have more Alternate arts, than a bunch of foils imo

DuroNL
05-02-2014, 05:23 AM

Magic also did this in the Duel of the Planes walkers, its mehish at the most, could be nice, but i rather have them work on other features... At the moment i like how the cards make a sound when they enter the game or something, but i don't need them art to be moving around the card :P...

Maybe in PvE boss battles can have some moving cards, but thats all i guess

Bells
05-02-2014, 05:37 AM

Man... can you imagine if all legendary cards were fully animated/ That would be so awesome... reminds me of those ''full art'' carts of MTG where the entire card is artwork with just a clear text box over it. and put that AND animated... That would be really really cool.

If they announce this in future sets i would be really excited for it.

Arkenstone
05-02-2014, 06:55 AM
Cory talked in chat on tuesday (I think) about the foiling process they're working on. He's super excited for it, and mentioned a "lightning effect" that foil cards will have.

I, for one, am incredibly excited to foil out my 4 Comet Strikes!

Sevein
05-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Magic also did this in the Duel of the Planes walkers, its mehish at the most, could be nice, but i rather have them work on other features... At the moment i like how the cards make a sound when they enter the game or something, but i don't need them art to be moving around the card :P...

Maybe in PvE boss battles can have some moving cards, but thats all i guess

U know what, that is the kind of idea that im looking for. Instead of foils or AA it chould just have a little icon that means it plays a special sound instead. Something related to the card. When the card is played. Gorefeast could play 2 sec of carneval music or whatever. Flock of seagulls comes with some flapping.Then we get that little extra rarity to suprise us in drafts :) It doesnt make much of a change but something to smile about.

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 07:51 AM
That's actually a huge change with a ton of work involved.

knightofeffect
05-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Quickest way to get that in game? Spend money! :) The more money HEX makes, the bigger the art budget, the cooler the art...

So Colin, do you think CZE would be up for doing that if they had enough budget. Animating cards? I agree that it is an awesome way to use the dTCG format. =)

Sevein
05-02-2014, 08:46 AM
That's actually a huge change with a ton of work involved.

yeah most likely. But its not like we are discussing changes that should be implemented before release. Just talking :) And to be honest i dont think adding sounds to cards as a rarity-thing is a good enough idea for CZE to wanna implement it anytime soon if ever. Perhaps it would even make the game feel silly. Well it def would if every card in a deck had sound.

Edit: spelling

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 08:54 AM
So Colin, do you think CZE would be up for doing that if they had enough budget. Animating cards? I agree that it is an awesome way to use the dTCG format. =)

Yeah, I think all that stuff is on the table if the game is successful enough.

It's a much bigger challenge for them (especially because they're planning a lot of cards - both PVE and PVP), but we'll see more and more impressive art as the game grows.

ossuary
05-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Another option that might be more cost effective (because they could be scripted and reused without a lot of custom art assets) would be to have custom visual effects on specific cards when they enter play or are activated, rather than having the graphics on the cards themselves animated. Casting various burn spells could have graphical flames burning around the card as it hits the table, the brightness / strength of which being modified by how many points of damage it's doing, for example. Paying for that one effect would give you dozens if not hundreds of uses for the same price.

Sevein
05-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Another option that might be more cost effective (because they could be scripted and reused without a lot of custom art assets) would be to have custom visual effects on specific cards when they enter play or are activated, rather than having the graphics on the cards themselves animated. Casting various burn spells could have graphical flames burning around the card as it hits the table, the brightness / strength of which being modified by how many points of damage it's doing, for example. Paying for that one effect would give you dozens if not hundreds of uses for the same price.

yeah thats also a nice idea. It doesnt have to be much or grand. i mean foiled cards does practically nothing. they just have a different shade and still it feels a little fun to see them in a pack or a draft

EntropyBall
05-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Another game that does this very well is Infinity Wars. The cards have very subtle animations that are not much work art-wise, beyond the static images that Hex has. Too much animation on the cards and it can become distracting.

Pezzle
05-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Please do not animate cards. If you absolutely must, have an option to shut it off.