PDA

View Full Version : How many copies of a "unique" card to include?

Rapkannibale
05-02-2014, 03:31 AM
Just wondering how you all decide how many copies of a unique card you include in your deck.

Obviously there is a lot of powerful uniques out there, but their drawback is that if you have one in play any additional copies you draw are "dead draws" (until you original copy gets removed somehow).

Cost and how they fit in your curve obviously play a role. In most cases you don't have to have more than 2 of a card that cost 7+ resources. But what about cards like Puk? You obviously want to play him early on. So do you include 4 copies? What about mid-game uniques?

LLCoolDave
05-02-2014, 04:15 AM
It depends on how essential they are to your gameplan and how high the cost of having one stranded in your hand actually is. If having a resolved copy on the battlefield is sufficiently strong then having one stuck in your hand isn't actually all that bad because that only comes up in a situation where you are in a strong position for your deck. It seems like any deck that would want to play Puk wants it in play badly, so having an extra copy in your hand isn't all that high a price to pay for an increased chance of playing one out on turn 2. Not to mention that the card is an absolute lightning rod so having a second one to replace it is frequently not a bad place to be in either.

Similar thoughts probably hold for Zoltog and Wrenlocke, although I can definitely see only boarding up to 4 Zoltog in control matchups and having 1 or maybe even 2 in your reserve.

In general, being unique should never stop you from running a second copy (i.e. if you would play 2 copies if it wasn't unique, play 2 if it is unique as well) and for most cards you can probably afford to run 3 as well. The 4th copy is the one that can bite you from time to time and should be reserved for cards that serve a vital role in your strategy.

nekoangel
05-02-2014, 04:29 AM
If there good but not amazing I run 2 if there amazing I go 3 and if there for combo I go 4.

They really follow the same deck building rules as normal cards for me because if there really that much of a threat they will die anyway so need some back ups.

Mushroom_C1oud
05-07-2014, 08:30 AM
I put 4 of Hiro in my shin'hare deck. Mostly because he evolves and he's a high valued target. Plus, almost every card in my deck combos with him. If he evolves I will put out the second one and sacrifice him if necessary so he doesn't evolve and replace my better Hiro.

Otherwise, 2 copies is usually sufficient. It is rare that I would draw both copies but if I do then I just keep it as backup. Sometimes I will put a unique in as a flavor card and isn't essential to my strategy in which I'll just keep 1 copy. For instance, I have 1 Uzume in my shin'hare deck for fun, but if I was truly going for the kill I would replace her with a low cost bunny.

noragar
05-07-2014, 01:22 PM
It's been said that allowing different transformation stages of a unique card on the board at the same time like you're doing with Hop'hiro is a bug. If it hasn't been fixed already, it will be eventually.

Thallium45
05-07-2014, 06:09 PM
yeh if/ when that bug getts patched its going to change the way i play some decks, currently I will have 2 but 3 or more if the deck has less turnover and Im potentially going to loose the card in play.

israel.kendall
05-14-2014, 06:07 PM
I run 3 princess Victoria in my mono diamond deck and rarely ever have the problem of one stuck in my hand.

Glae
05-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Yeah, Princess Vicky gets 3, but everyone else I've been taking 2. You just want that better chance of getting her opening hand, but you don't really want dead copies so 4 seems too many.