PDA

View Full Version : Not Being Able to Read Cards Is A Problem

bootlace
05-02-2014, 12:35 PM
I know people have brought this point up before, dismissing the inconvenience by reasoning that once you know all the cards it's not such a bad deal. However the problem I believe goes beyond that.

Hex has ambitions to become a game with lots of e-sport tournaments and hopefully gain fans through Twitch and YouTube. If the cards remain illegible as they are today (without zooming) I'm afraid a lot of new eyeballs to the game will be turned off. There are few things more frustrating than watching some play a game and not knowing what they are doing.

At this point why even have text on the cards in the unzoomed state? If you're not going to let players read the text while unzoomed then just dont display any text when zoomed out and at least give the card art more real estate to shine.

The deck manager also will desperately need a large version of cards where you can read the card text - it might be acceptable now but once sets start coming in and you're looking for cards to fit your deck, it will be annoying having to zoom in each time you want to remind yourself what the card is about.

Anyways I just hope this is an area that is being worked on and not just swept under the rug. Afterall this is a digital only TCG MMO so getting the UI to be painfree and attractive seems to be of pinnacle importance for being immersed in and attracting others into the world.

Eierdotter
05-02-2014, 12:43 PM
i am not sure but i think after unlocking the full art it gets displayed on the board.

i hope a spectator mode fixes the problem that you can no read the cards.
Although esports usually has a comentator and these guys tell what the cards are doing every few turns.
the most important things on troops are displayed (ATK/DEF and keywords as symbols)

Turtlewing
05-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Personally I think cards in play should be a "mini-card" that's just the art, name, cost/threshold, and atk/def if a troop. Then use the existing icons for the keywords and the zoom to read cards in detail.

Also I'll say that even at full screen and with cards zoomed in the flavor text is hard to read. They could do with a user scalable interface for that.

hexnaes
05-02-2014, 02:14 PM
I've also shared this same concern.

I thought Hearthstone was great, because you could read the cards that were in play! Except, when I first started watching it on twitch, I still ran into the same problem of "I know what card that is, but what does the text say again?"

I think Hex is a huge improvement over trying to watch, but there's improvements to be made. I agree with Turtlewing that a more basic version of the card that gives relevant information should be displayed.

Also, shrinking the cards down to a few pixels when there's many in play makes no sense (especially if this game is going to work on tablets). I wonder how they're going to handle that situation?

Unhurtable
05-02-2014, 02:17 PM
This is something that could be solved with Stream UIs though. If I look at the MTG streams they have during certain tournaments, I kind of understand whats going on because the UI shows cards being played SOMETIMES. An UI that had zoomed in versions of all cards being played would essentially eliminate this problem.

The Deck manager already have a setting that doesn't display the actual card but just lists stats / descript in a list. No need to zoom later, just sort everything properly.

Oli
05-02-2014, 02:50 PM
If I remember correctly MTGO used (or uses) a lot of abbreviations an the smaller sized cards and removes flavor-text. Also it's not a normal font in a small render-size, but a font that is developed with a small size in mind.

cferejohn
05-02-2014, 03:00 PM
If I remember correctly MTGO used (or uses) a lot of abbreviations an the smaller sized cards and removes flavor-text. Also it's not a normal font in a small render-size, but a font that is developed with a small size in mind.

It also scales, so if a card has only 1 line on it, that line expands to fill the available space on the card.

Niedar
05-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Yes, basically the font on MTGO never gets below a readable size, it will just start cutting off the text and adding a ... and as you said using abbreviations. Most of the time, either the full text is able to be displayed or enough of the text is displayed to be useful/jog your memory but sometimes you still have to zoom in. This is fine, sometimes there is just so much text it is impossible to display it all without being zoomed in but at least display what is possible and make sure the name of the card is readable.