PDA

View Full Version : Friday Update - Bug Spray

Shaqattaq
05-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Hi HEXers. If you’ve been playing Closed Beta, you know that tournaments have been down for a while. Today, we want to share with you some of the work we’ve been doing to get tournaments back online and what are plans are for the next few days.

http://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray/

hamm101
05-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Both links send me to the hextcg.com frontpage from before the link was posted

Kami
05-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Try: https://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray/

Apparently that last backslash makes a difference.

Marsden
05-02-2014, 02:02 PM
https:// link does not work.

http://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray does

Marsden
05-02-2014, 02:03 PM
I'd like to know what the middlewear causing the problem was!

mach
05-02-2014, 02:09 PM
So...why didn't you have logging set up in the first place?

Kami
05-02-2014, 02:10 PM
https:// link does not work.

http://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray does

Heh, no idea, worked for me. ^^;

If they were logging network packets and such, you usually only set up logging when necessary. Otherwise you get too much network traffic that may not be relevant. (as one example)

Marsden
05-02-2014, 02:10 PM

There are degrees of logging. You don't want the full stuff turned on most of the time.

bojanglesz
05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
The silver lining to this is Xenavire will probably have to eat his hat

mach
05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
There are degrees of logging. You don't want the full stuff turned on most of the time.

True, but the article says they "set up logging", not "turned logging up to 11".

Kami
05-02-2014, 02:13 PM
True, but the article says they "set up logging", not "turned logging up to 11".

That could be interpreted either way, to be fair.

I am curious what the requirements are to be considered an 'active' streamer or have an 'active' fan web site.

For instance, if I plan to stream more frequently when I have my account logins resolved and tournaments start working, etc. but currently I don't, would I be disqualified?

Or what if I stream games that are not relevant to HEX?

Rhaegar
05-02-2014, 02:14 PM

I guarantee they have logging on their productions servers. The level of logging was probably not sufficient to diagnose the issue. Furthermore, they probably added additional logging around the problematic areas to further identify the issue. However, running DEBUG logging in production is a big no no which is why they probably have to "set up" additional logging.

dwebber88
05-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Try: https://hextcg.com/friday-update-bug-spray/

Apparently that last backslash makes a difference.

Does for https but not for http (also apparently)

on a different note: You say in the post that the safety of the accounts is paramount.

I then dont understand why:

- The security testing server is still not up
- The passwords in alpha were sent in plain text, edit: yet noone is told to pick a different password for beta (and any other website where you used the same password) (not the other way around)
- Authenticator support isn't there yet either (not the super most important one for now, i know)
- Not more security measures are taken.

tilde
05-02-2014, 02:21 PM
I'd like to know what the middlewear causing the problem was!

Look at the article; infiltrator bots did it.

Marsden
05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
- The passwords in alpha were sent plain in text, yet noone is told to pick a different password for beta

http://hextcg.com/closed-beta-primer : " But, the first thing you should do is change your password (click the “Forgot Pass” link), and change it to a password that you don’t use anywhere else on the internet."

hammer
05-02-2014, 02:27 PM
I want Gold almost as much as I want drafts. Spinning those wheels is so much fun. Please give us some gold to spin our chests :D

dwebber88
05-02-2014, 02:27 PM
http://hextcg.com/closed-beta-primer : " But, the first thing you should do is change your password (click the “Forgot Pass” link), and change it to a password that you don’t use anywhere else on the internet."

You're right about that one :) thanks.

The next line in that same post tho:

Our system is secure, but we can’t guarantee the security of other websites you visit or places that require you to log-in.

GatticusFinch
05-02-2014, 02:32 PM
You're right about that one :) thanks.

The next line in that same post tho:

lmao. "Our system is secure, but that Russian brides website you can reach through our system might not be."

Marsden
05-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Our system is secure, but we can’t guarantee the security of other websites you visit or places that require you to log-in.

That's the "Why you shouldn't use the password anywhere else" line. Seems sensible.

Saeijou
05-02-2014, 02:43 PM
At least 4 more days :( Thats hard... what will i do this weekend? ^^

mach
05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
I guarantee they have logging on their productions servers. The level of logging was probably not sufficient to diagnose the issue. Furthermore, they probably added additional logging around the problematic areas to further identify the issue. However, running DEBUG logging in production is a big no no which is why they probably have to "set up" additional logging.

I'd think they would preemptively turn up logging for the first couple days of beta, as I'm sure they were expecting there would be some problems. Not up to DEBUG level, but pretty close. That way when a problem did arise they wouldn't need to do something like keep tournaments up when they knew they were broken to gather logging data.

Marsden
05-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Debug logging can itself cause many issues. That's why you don't turn it on unless you have other issues.

TheBokononist
05-02-2014, 03:18 PM
For curiosity's sake, who developed this middleware?

nicosharp
05-02-2014, 03:27 PM
I want Gold almost as much as I want drafts. Spinning those wheels is so much fun. Please give us some gold to spin our chests :D
That would be a nice.

Loonknight
05-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Indeed, I have all these chests waiting for gold so I can try out the spinning mechanic. From the streams I've seen looks like fun.

Showsni
05-02-2014, 03:56 PM
So no Hex tournaments up for the long Bank Holiday weekend? Oh well... Glad to hear the issue has (hopefully) been identified and will be fixed!

mudkip
05-02-2014, 04:01 PM
The hardware issue is Gameforge's fault, isn't it?

Shaqattaq
05-02-2014, 04:32 PM
For curiosity's sake, who developed this middleware?

It would be unprofessional and in bad taste to say. Luckily, we found it and we have a solution.

The hardware issue is Gameforge's fault, isn't it?

Nope!

Badmoonz
05-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Well, at least tickets were addressed in the article. Some hope. Maybe.

John..Alexander
05-02-2014, 04:40 PM
It would be unprofessional and in bad taste to say. Luckily, we found it and we have a solution.

Nope!
Great they are fixing the bug

BlindMan
05-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Keep up the good work guys. I'm sure it was frustrating to run into a third party bug right at the beta launch. I for one appreciate the clear and concise update on the situation, as well as all of your hard work to resolve these issues.

Now I'll probably go open another one of my primal packs to get my fix while I wait for drafts :D

alreadydead
05-02-2014, 05:11 PM
I'd think they would preemptively turn up logging for the first couple days of beta, as I'm sure they were expecting there would be some problems. Not up to DEBUG level, but pretty close. That way when a problem did arise they wouldn't need to do something like keep tournaments up when they knew they were broken to gather logging data.

There is a few reasons for this. One is the level of logging required to trouble shoot an issue like this tends to be very detailed, specific, can be very heavy on the server performance and can create other issues of its own. Developers are only human and these applications can be hundred of thousands of lines of code and a single procedure can be thousands of lines so you don't want to make unnecessary changes.

Additionally likely at the start of beta they wouldn't want to introduce the extra load if possible as they want to baseline the server performance to set up appropriate monitoring and see where and how it falls over to either optimize the code or adjust hardware configurations where appropriate. Remember this is a new set of hardware from the alpha and a new environment comes with new issues and the additional logging could make these worse and utilize dev time fixing an issue which was caused by the logging.

@Crypto Thanks for the detailed update hopefully this was the only issue and we can see some drafts soon. :)

mudkip
05-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Nope!

Oh... *shuts up*

hacky
05-02-2014, 06:17 PM
In a project with the size and scope of Hex, it is certain that the project is utilizing products and technologies developed by companies and organizations totally unrelated to CZE and Gameforge. And those products are not infallible, they contain bugs and glitches just like any other piece of software.

Which is why, watch who you blame for glitches and downtime that you may not fully understand.

Thanks for the detailed update CZE! As a software engineer myself, I understand what kind of work finding and fixing issues like this entails!

Covnam
05-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Oh man, that was one of the creepiest/grossest and best parts of Creepshow. Nice callback.

Chiany
05-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Hmm mixed feelings about this news.

I am glad that the source (probably) has been found, and that a fix is coming.

But if it takes more then a week to indentify and fix a big problem like this, I worry about the future of Hex.
I know it's just Beta atm, but I really hope this is not how it will go when Hex really goes live.

If I had to tell our customers that one of our main services/applications is down for more then a week, well let's just say I wouldn't like the outcome very much.

hex_colin
05-02-2014, 11:06 PM

But if it takes more then a week to indentify and fix a big problem like this, I worry about the future of Hex.
I know it's just Beta atm, but I really hope this is not how it will go when Hex really goes live.

If I had to tell our customers that one of our main services/applications is down for more then a week, well let's just say I wouldn't like the outcome very much.

I agree that a week is too long. I'm also very confident that that's a Beta thing and would never happen if the game was released.

At this point everyone wants draft so badly that they're probably gun-shy about giving it back to us unless it works almost flawlessly.

HeXBazou
05-03-2014, 12:40 AM
1 week for fix a bug + "At the same time, we want to continue testing and looking into everything as sometimes one bug can mask the errors caused by a deeper bug. ", and "so we’ve practically lost no time in developing or testing that feature"

it's not too long, but after the next update news bugs will come like usual. it's a beta :). i loose many tournament on HS with few bug (superposition of card) and loose my gold, few bug during maybe 1 month...

Ertzi
05-03-2014, 07:59 AM
FUUUU... I had earmarked this entire day for tournaments, just so I could get some gold finally, because I need to spin those damn chests. They are taunting me in my stash, and I keep reading everywhere how addictive the spinning is. Any chance Crypto can give everyone a small lump of gold for the wait? *puppy-eyes*

Werlix
05-03-2014, 06:49 PM

What are you talking about? This is the very start of beta. Come on... you can't just keep saying "I know this is beta, but {statement that implies you don't realise it's actually beta}". It's like people who say, "I'm not racist, but {racist statement}". CZE won't be telling us post release that the service will be down for a week.

Beta = bugs. These types of bugs typically don't happen after release because they're the kind of bugs that get spotted long before that stage. In this case it was a memory leak which was spotted probably due to the higher number of players creating new games/tournaments.

I too am frustrated I can't play tournaments but I also understand it is the very beginning of the beta phase (a real beta, not a Blizzard "beta" by the way) so of course there will be large scale bugs.

Chiany
05-03-2014, 10:18 PM
What are you talking about? This is the very start of beta. Come on... you can't just keep saying "I know this is beta, but {statement that implies you don't realise it's actually beta}". It's like people who say, "I'm not racist, but {racist statement}". CZE won't be telling us post release that the service will be down for a week.

Beta = bugs. These types of bugs typically don't happen after release because they're the kind of bugs that get spotted long before that stage. In this case it was a memory leak which was spotted probably due to the higher number of players creating new games/tournaments.

I too am frustrated I can't play tournaments but I also understand it is the very beginning of the beta phase (a real beta, not a Blizzard "beta" by the way) so of course there will be large scale bugs.

Did you even read my post?

I never said that there shouldn't be any bugs at this point. Actually, it's good they show up now.
My concern was that it takes CZE a week to find and fix it.

As I also said, I just hope it won't be like this when Hex goes live, which I don't expect.
So, don't make to much a negative thing about my post ;)

zadies
05-06-2014, 06:36 AM
Given their original intention was just to take alpha and beta offline for a week and test everything and given our response to the bug with the tournies I think a week/week and a half without them being up while able to play in the proving grounds with my deck is just fine.

Gwaer
05-06-2014, 08:41 AM
This is also the first run with CZE working on hardware at gameforge, and the two teams integrating and working on a problem like this. It'll get better. I'm sure this was a learning experience for everyone involved.

Iounsoul
05-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Anyone know if there are any more wipes until release?
I prefer to wait till all the wipes are done before I start.

Edit: Also, does anyone know whether the kickstarter reward codes expire?

AswanJaguar
05-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Anyone know if there are any more wipes until release?
I prefer to wait till all the wipes are done before I start.

Edit: Also, does anyone know whether the kickstarter reward codes expire?

All scheduled wipes are done, we're playing for keeps now. I believe the codes will expire at some point but CZE will give plenty of notice when that time comes near, and it won't be before release.

Iounsoul
05-09-2014, 12:19 AM
All scheduled wipes are done, we're playing for keeps now. I believe the codes will expire at some point but CZE will give plenty of notice when that time comes near, and it won't be before release.

Got it, thanks for the info.